Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2024 qualifying

Comments

• Options
    Still go through if Norway doesn’t beat Spain at weekend 
  • Options
    Was at the match in Seville last night. Absolutely insane decision to rule out the Scotland “goal”. Will still qualify, but it should have happened last night. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Taking my daughter to the England v Australia game tomorrow. Believe it or not, my first England game! Hoping for a decent atmosphere, some goals, and a second half that doesn't descend into substitute farce
    Get ready to be surrounded by bored tourists making paper aeroplanes with their match tickets. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    McBobbin said:
    Taking my daughter to the England v Australia game tomorrow. Believe it or not, my first England game! Hoping for a decent atmosphere, some goals, and a second half that doesn't descend into substitute farce
    Get ready to be surrounded by bored tourists making paper aeroplanes with their match tickets.

Haha, there's a chance of that!
  • Options
    It looks innocuous but the fact no Scotland player was really upset about it being overturned speaks volumes I think. Straight off the training pitch.
    Or they know there's nothing that can be done so why get outraged and moan about it and end up getting booked.
  • Options
    Going on Tuesday night for the Italy game, perennial question,what to wear? club shirt, country shirt, club polo shirt.?
  • Options
    why would you wear a club shirt to an England game ?
  • Options
    Because every time I have worn my Charlton shirt to Wembley England or. Charlton have won. The only time I didn’t wear the club shirt we lost to Blackburn. 
  • Options
    still dont get why you wore your Charlton shirt to an England game the first time  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    still dont get why you wore your Charlton shirt to an England game the first time  
    Because he wanted to.
  • Options
    Qualified teams as of tonight…

Germany (hosts)
    Belgium
    France
    Portugal
    Spain
    Scotland
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Really pleased Scotland have qualified for Euro 2024. Should have really got through the play off for Qatar IMO.

Hoping that the group stage draw is kind travelling wise and get to see England & Scotland play whilst in Germany for the tournament.

• Options
    Great win the for Welsh over Croatia tonight keeps their hopes alive.
  • Options
    Croatia have had a nightmare week, could've sealed qualification but lost at home to Turkey and away to Wales and now might not even get 2nd.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Qualified teams as of tonight…

Germany (hosts)
    Belgium
    France
    Portugal
    Spain
    Scotland
    I missed one.

Turkey have also qualified. 7/24 teams accounted for.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    One of the unintended consequences of having performances from an entirely separate tournament have an impact on qualifying… 

• Options

UEFA oversight means Republic of Ireland need to LOSE Netherlands Euro 2024 qualifier

A bizarre quirk in UEFA rules means Republic of Ireland's Euro 2024 qualifying hopes could be better served by losing to the Netherlands next month, provided Ronald Koeman's side beat Greece today.

Republic of Ireland have found themselves in a bizarre situation where their hopes of qualifying for Euro 2024 would be helped if they lose to the Netherlands next month.

Their hopes of securing automatic qualification came to an end last week when they were beaten 2-0 by Greece. France have already sealed their spot at next year's tournament by topping Group B with 18 points, while Greece currently sit second with 12.

The Netherlands are third with nine points and Ireland sit fifth with just three, while Gibraltar have failed to pick up a single point. As a result, Ireland's only hope of making it to the Euros is through the play-offs, with 12 teams set to compete for three spots next March.

Those teams will be selected based off their displays in the 2022/23 Nations League, with the best-ranked teams from Leagues A, B and C that have not already qualified getting a second chance. Four teams are set to be picked from each league.

Six sides have already earned their spot at the Euros, with Belgium, France, Portugal, Scotland, Spain and Turkey joining hosts Germany. Among those sides Spain, Portugal, Belgium, France and Germany were all ranked in League A, while fellow League A teams Denmark, Hungary, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, England and Wales currently occupy a top two spot in their Euro 2024 qualifying groups. 

Croatia, meanwhile, sit third in Group D but are level on points with Wales, and Poland are third in Group E and one point behind Czech Republic. Netherlands are also a League A side and if they beat Greece on Monday night and Ireland in November they would go level on points with Greece in Group B.

That would then set up a one game shoot-out for qualification which would favour the Netherlands, whose final qualifier is against Gibralatar while Greece's last game is against France. If that happens and results elsewhere go in Ireland's favour, then only two playoff spots would be given to League A teams.

UEFA rules state that 'if fewer than four teams from one league enter the play-offs, the first available slot is allocated to the best-ranked group winner of League D' which is Estonia and that any remaining spots are then given to the 'best-ranked teams that have not already qualified'.

Ireland are ranked 26th and would advance to the play-offs this way if results go in their favour and only four teams above them in League B fail to qualify automatically. However, they would not make the play-offs if Greece finish above the Netherlands in their group, meaning it could be beneficial for Ireland to lose to Ronald Koeman's side.

Whether or not Ireland do reach the play-offs could have a major effect on the future of manager Stephen Kenny, whose current contract is due to expire in November following their final qualifying game.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Belgium's Euro 2024 qualifier against Sweden was suspended at half-time for security reasons after two Swedish people were shot dead in Brussels.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone going tonight?

We got tickets, guessing there will be a huge police presence.
  • Options
    Anyone going tonight?

we are going. tickets in block 114 but hoping to blag in to 109 as the atmosphere is better
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Going tonight. Always enjoyable seeing Kane & Bellingham.
    Shame the fixtures weren’t other way round with Italy on the Friday and Australia tonight. 

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Anyone going tonight?

Yep, Block 106. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I'm not expecting a great game as we only need a draw. I think we will probably get it but we honestly have the players to comprehensively beat Italy at the moment. Hopefully I am wrong. Not so much for this game as we will qualify eventually, even if we lose, but with the talent we have it should be about us, not our opponents.
  • Options
    I hope we go for the win - we have players to do it and sitting back to defend is something Southgate's teams don't do very well. We'll have a problem if we concede and spend the second half chasing the game. 

Hoping to get out of work in time to watch this.
  • Options
    Looking forward to tonight's game 
    Going for a good 3-1 win for us 
    Come on England  B)
  • Options
    Anyone going tonight?

Why a huge police presence VG?
  • Options
    Anyone going tonight?

2 Swedish fans murdered in Brussels yesterday? 
  • Options
    Anyone going tonight?

The problems with fans forcing their way in at the Euro final is also still fresh in people's minds