Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2024 qualifying

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    F*ck!
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Looking forward to tonight's game 
    Going for a good 3-1 win for us 
    Come on England  B)
    Good shout. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67332635

England will play friendlies against Brazil and Belgium next year as part of our preparation
  • Options
    Looking forward to that. 

Proper heavyweight fixtures to be taking on 3 months before the tournament. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67332635

England will play friendlies against Brazil and Belgium next year as part of our preparation

Southgate's quote made me look into how they decide the pots because I had just assumed it was done on November's world rankings.

"How does the EURO 2024 draw work?

Teams will be allocated to one of four pots (1, 2, 3, 4) in advance of the draw, in accordance with their results in the qualifying group stage. Hosts Germany are seeded in Pot 1 but are not drawn as they are automatically allocated to Group A. The three eventual play-off winners are assigned to Pot 4."

https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/draws/

Given the qualifying records of each team as they are today, Pot 1 would consist of Germany (as hosts), Portugal (won 8/8), France (won 6/6), England (won 5/6), Spain (won 5/6) and Scotland (won 5/6). Belgium (won 5/7), Hungary (won 4/6) and Austria (won 5/7) all in the mix too if any of the current five were to slip up and draw or lose another game when qualifying ends in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    The Groups basically get combined into one big table... Those Nations in Groups of six, have their result against the sixth place team written off, to make it fair on those in a Five Nation Group. 

The top seven are top seeds with Germany. 
    The next eight are in pot 2, and so forth
  • Options
    The Groups basically get combined into one big table... Those Nations in Groups of six, have their result against the sixth place team written off, to make it fair on those in a Five Nation Group. 

The top seven are top seeds with Germany. 
    The next eight are in pot 2, and so forth

Just found this in the obviously trusted source that is Wikipedia... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024#Final_Draw

"The teams will be seeded in accordance with the overall European Qualifiers rankings. Hosts Germany will be automatically seeded into pot 1, and placed in position A1. The three play-off winners will not be known at the time of the draw, and the teams participating in those play-offs, scheduled to be held in March 2024, will be placed into pot 4 for the draw.
    • Pot 1: Germany (Host), group winners ranked 1–5
    • Pot 2: Group winners ranked 6–10, group runner-up ranked 1 (11 overall)
    • Pot 3: Group runners-up ranked 2–7 (12–17 overall)
    • Pot 4: Group runners-up ranked 8–10 (18–20 overall), play-off winners A–C (identity unknown at the time of the draw)"

• Options
    England squad for final two qualifiers v Malta and North Macedonia.

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Levi Colwill (Chelsea), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Fikayo Tomori (AC Milan), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Al-Ettifaq), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (Arsenal)

Forwards: Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa), Callum Wilson (Newcastle).

No real surprises and I guess the main topic of conversation will once again be around how Henderson and Phillips get call ups. Henderson however is at least playing football though.

Given that we've qualified i'd have liked to see someone like Longstaff called up instead, i think he's done very well for Newcastle since Howe took over. 

Also not sure if Ramsdale deserves to be called up ahead of Pope. He's another one who has lost his club place and is hardly playing any games.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Qualified teams (16/24):

- Germany (hosts), Belgium, France, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Turkey, Austria, England, Hungary, Slovakia, Albania, Denmark, Netherlands, Romania, Switzerland

Last five direct qualification places:

- Italy or Ukraine (level on pts, Ukraine v Italy on Monday : if a draw then Italy qualify on H2H)

- Croatia or Wales (Croatia 2pts ahead, Croatia v Armenia & Wales v Turkey on Tuesday : Wales have H2H over Croatia)

- Czech Republic or Moldova (Czech Rep 2pts ahead, Czech Rep v Moldova on Monday)

- Serbia or Montenegro (Serbia 2pts ahead, Serbia v Bulgaria & Hungary v Montenegro tomorrow : Serbia have H2H over Montenegro)

- Slovenia or Kazahkstan (Slovenia 1pt ahead, Slovenia v Kazakhstan on Monday)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Both Ireland’s and Norway’s hopes of sneaking into the playoffs were dashed earlier this evening.

As it currently stands, the playoff paths will be (teams in bold confirmed for each path). One team qualifies from each path:

Path C: Georgia, Greece, Luxembourg and Kazakhstan (or Azerbaijan if Kazakhstan upset Slovenia to qualify directly)

Path B: Israel, Bosnia, Finland and one of Serbia, Ukraine or Iceland (in that priority order).

Path A: Poland, Wales or Croatia, Italy or Ukraine, Czech Republic or Iceland
  • Options
    Kazakhstan and Luxembourg have done bloody great in Quali this year.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Having dual British-Luxembourg nationality I have been following this campaign carefully. Luxembourg really had their tails up and were going great guns before meeting Portugal and losing 9 - 0.

They have a couple of useful players who play abroad and that is definitely a plus!

BTW, talking of high scores, the mismatch that was France v Gibraltar ended 14 - 0! A goal every 6.5 minutes!
  • Options
    How poor is group E? Albania will probably win it and Moldova could get second!

Then there is group H where (assuming Finland beat San Marino) 4th place would have 18 points.
  • Options
    How poor is group E? Albania will probably win it and Moldova could get second!

Then there is group H where (assuming Finland beat San Marino) 4th place would have 18 points.
    Isn't there 6 in that group instead of 5 though, so an extra 2 games played and 6 points up for grabs, and 2 games are against Sam Marino as well so it's essentially a 6 point head start for all of them. Need to look at PPG for it to be comparable 
  • Options
    There are 6 teams yes but even so getting 18 points and only getting 4th is still a tough group.

I'm confident no other group would have a similar PPG for 4th place.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Qualified teams (16/24):

- Germany (hosts), Belgium, France, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Turkey, Austria, England, Hungary, Slovakia, Albania, Denmark, Netherlands, Romania, Switzerland

Last five direct qualification places:

- Italy or Ukraine (level on pts, Ukraine v Italy on Monday : if a draw then Italy qualify on H2H)

- Croatia or Wales (Croatia 2pts ahead, Croatia v Armenia & Wales v Turkey on Tuesday : Wales have H2H over Croatia)

- Czech Republic or Moldova (Czech Rep 2pts ahead, Czech Rep v Moldova on Monday)

- Serbia or Montenegro (Serbia 2pts ahead, Serbia v Bulgaria & Hungary v Montenegro tomorrow : Serbia have H2H over Montenegro)

- Slovenia or Kazahkstan (Slovenia 1pt ahead, Slovenia v Kazakhstan on Monday)
    Serbia drew 2-2 with Bulgaria earlier which was enough to see them qualify as the 17th team for 2024.

Four direct qualifying places still up for grabs. Three decided tomorrow, one decided on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Slovenia v Kazahkstan, Ukraine v Italy and Czech Republic v Moldova all kick off at 7:45pm U.K. time tomorrow night. The same time England play N.Macedonia.

- Kazakhstan must beat Slovenia, or Slovenia qualify directly and Kazakhstan would join the Path C playoffs. If Kazakhstan do win, Azerbaijan would advance to the Path C playoffs and Slovenia would be eliminated.

- Ukraine must beat Italy, or Italy qualify directly and Ukraine would join the Path B playoffs. If Ukraine do win, Italy would join the Path A playoffs and Iceland would advance to the Path B playoffs.

- Moldova must beat Czech Republic, or Czech Republic qualify directly and Moldova are eliminated. If Moldova do win, Czech Republic would join the Path A playoffs.

I believe that’s all correct but I might’ve missed something… :-)

• Options
    Lukaku scored 4 tonight in an easy Belgium win.

He now has 83 goals in 113 caps. That is a ridiculous strike rate and given that's he's still only 30 he could become only the 4th player in history to reach 100 goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hadn't noticed that Kazakhstan now competed within UEFA. Checking their geography, I hadn't realised that part of the country is in Europe.

Their neighbours, the other "stans" all play in Asia.
  • Options
    I hadn't noticed that Kazakhstan now competed within UEFA. Checking their geography, I hadn't realised that part of the country is in Europe.

Same principle as Russia - its all about the Ural mountains.

When I was living in far west China, I nipped over the border to see Kazakhstan vs England in Almaty in 2009 for a World Cup qualifier. 
  • Options

They've been in UEFA for years. England played them in 2010 world cup qualifying
  • Options
    Having dual British-Luxembourg nationality I have been following this campaign carefully. Luxembourg really had their tails up and were going great guns before meeting Portugal and losing 9 - 0.

They have a couple of useful players who play abroad and that is definitely a plus!

BTW, talking of high scores, the mismatch that was France v Gibraltar ended 14 - 0! A goal every 6.5 minutes!
    Gibraltar had a player sent off in the 18th minute, he received a red card for a tackle when the French striker scored a goal, goal stood.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Slovenia v Kazahkstan, Ukraine v Italy and Czech Republic v Moldova all kick off at 7:45pm U.K. time tomorrow night. The same time England play N.Macedonia.

- Kazakhstan must beat Slovenia, or Slovenia qualify directly and Kazakhstan would join the Path C playoffs. If Kazakhstan do win, Azerbaijan would advance to the Path C playoffs and Slovenia would be eliminated.

- Ukraine must beat Italy, or Italy qualify directly and Ukraine would join the Path B playoffs. If Ukraine do win, Italy would join the Path A playoffs and Iceland would advance to the Path B playoffs.

- Moldova must beat Czech Republic, or Czech Republic qualify directly and Moldova are eliminated. If Moldova do win, Czech Republic would join the Path A playoffs.

I believe that’s all correct but I might’ve missed something… :-)

Czech Republic 1-0 up at home against Moldova. Bit of a mountain for Moldova to climb now. And they don’t have the playoffs to rely on either.

Still goalless in the other two matches.
  • Options
    Wow what a boring game had to switch it off had enough 
    Of watching us playing the ball across the back 
    Sad when I can't even stand to watch England 
  • Options
    Slovenia 1-0 up at home against Kazahkstan. Slovenia qualify and Kazahkstan into the playoffs as it stands there
  • Options
    Slovenia 1-0 up at home against Kazahkstan. Slovenia qualify and Kazahkstan into the playoffs as it stands there
    Czech Republic also beating Moldova in their Group

Doesnt a win for the latter see then Qualify in second, however defeat means they don't go into the Playoffs? 
  • Options
    Czech Republic also beating Moldova in their Group

Doesnt a win for the latter see then Qualify in second, however defeat means they don't go into the Playoffs? 

Yep! Look a couple of posts above. ;-)

HT scores of the games that have qualifying riding on them...

Czech Rep 1-0 Moldova
    Slovenia 1-0 Kazahkstan
    Ukraine 0-0 Italy

Getting a bit squeaky for the Italians unless they can muster a goal early in the second half to give them the same cushion that Czech Rep and Slovenia have.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Kazahkstan have equalised in Slovenia, one more goal and they would qualify and Slovenia would be out.

Still goalless between Ukraine and Italy.

Moldova now down 10, to add to the goal deficit. Their hopes of qualifying are slipping away.