Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2024 qualifying

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Declan Rice’s father was extremely surprised that his son considered himself English rather than Irish 
    England are just a bunch of paddys really, Jack Grealish played for all their youth teams and played Gaelic football and apparently Harry Kane's family always embraced their Irishness (his dad moved to london as a boy), holidaying there etc.

Harry Maguire could have played for either ROI or NI and Kalvin Phillips is Irish on his mums side, Jamaican on his dads
    HAHAHAHA nice try.
    that's all true Gary, Harry O'Kane's dad is from County Galway
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Declan Rice’s father was extremely surprised that his son considered himself English rather than Irish 
    England are just a bunch of paddys really, Jack Grealish played for all their youth teams and played Gaelic football and apparently Harry Kane's family always embraced their Irishness (his dad moved to london as a boy), holidaying there etc.

Harry Maguire could have played for either ROI or NI and Kalvin Phillips is Irish on his mums side, Jamaican on his dads
    HAHAHAHA nice try.
    Harry's dad is called Patrick... Not Gary ;)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

HAHAHAHA nice try.
    Harry's dad is called Patrick... Not Gary ;)
    just proves my point even further
  • Options
    Harry Kane is English. End of.
  • Options
    Harry Kane is English. End of.
    half english anyway
  • Options
    Harry Kane is half English, half Irish

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Im half Irish, but I don't 'feel' particularly Irish. You wouldn't know I was to look at me or hear me talk as I was born and raised in England. Id have to introduce you to my Irish mum for you to know that. On the other hand I know other people who are half Irish and 100% identify with being Irish despite being born and raised here. Even going as far as supporting the Irish sports teams and not England. 

I was born and raised here, therefore England are my no.1 (national) team, but I also support Ireland and even have a few Ireland shirts. Different people embrace their heritage in different ways, there isn't a wrong or right way. 

It gets messy when it comes to who you could end up playing for in international football if you have a mixed heritage. I always thought you just play for the team who offered you a cap first. 
  • Options
    Just to add to the Scotland win over Spain, Spain made wholesale changes to the team they beat Norway with, which might have made some sense in a final match with qualification in the bag, but pretty daft second match in. Imagine the anger if Southgate did that and earned a 2-0 defeat in Scotland. They say football management is a thankless job but it also seems to encourage a level of fuckwittery that would be dangerous in another work environment.
  • Options
    my kids are half Irish and when Ireland have qualified for tournaments that Scotland haven't I've bought them the Ireland kits. my son gets the Scotland and Charlton shirts anyway.

if my son started wearing an England shirt I would punch him in his little 9 year old face.

seriously though, I wouldn't buy him an England shirt even if he asked for one.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    @cafctev Unfortunately the rule regarding international call-ups were made a long time before globalisation was a real thing. Apparently there is a lad playing for Nigels youth team which reckons he can play for 5 different countries. Not sure how you can tighten rules up without discrimination being an issue. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @cafctev Unfortunately the rule regarding international fixture were made a long time before globalisation was a real thing. Apparently there is a lad playing for Nigels youth team which reckons he can play for 5 different countries. Not sure how you can tighten rules up without discrimination being an issue. Main question is more does anyone care enough to fix it.
    it's been like that for a while though with the grandparent rule.

It could be 6 as your grandparents could be ROI, NI, Welsh and Scottish and you born in France you could then move to England as a four year old and go to school here and qualify for England that way 
  • Options
    my kids are half Irish and when Ireland have qualified for tournaments that Scotland haven't I've bought them the Ireland kits. my son gets the Scotland and Charlton shirts anyway.

if my son started wearing an England shirt I would punch him in his little 9 year old face.

If you don’t mind me asking - was your son born and raised in England?

If so, then if he did want to support the national side then would that not be a case of him wanting to embrace his heritage the same way that you would embrace your Scottish/Irish heritage?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If so, then if he did want to support the national side then would that not be a case of him wanting to embrace his heritage the same way that you would embrace your Scottish/Irish heritage?
    Its funny because my mum hates the English sports teams, and always supports whoever they are playing against. She never stopped me from supporting England though and even bought me England shirts for birthdays when I was younger. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

oh yeah he was born here and still lives here, I am obviously joking especially about punching my 9 year old (anyway he's massive and going to be much bigger than me one day ;) ).

I don't think he misses out on anything, I think at this age remembering/learning about where he/the family comes from is just as important.

I moved here from Edinburgh in 87 and his mum from Dublin in 88, all our families are still in Scotland and Ireland.

I don't support England in ANYTHING and like to play up to hating them/wanting them to lose but all my friends (including my best mate who's the reason I support Charlton) are English and if I didn't want to be here I wouldn't.

he isn't taught not to be English but is taught about his Scottish and Irish roots.  
  • Options
    I quite enjoy that our sports teams are hated, it makes a change from being pitied for supporting Charlton.
  • Options
    I quite enjoy that our sports teams are hated, it makes a change from being pitied for supporting Charlton.
    The way it should be. I hate reading articles saying we should support other home nations at tournaments etc. All my non-English family dislike the English teams and it is better that ways.

I much prefer hearing how every Croatia/Italy/France/Iceland shirt has been bought in Scotland in the build up to the big match. 
  • Options
    England, the Millwall of international football
  • Options
    My first memory of football was Italia 90, but it wasn't anything to do with Englands run to the semi's. It was my mum crying tears of joy while on the phone to my dad (who was at work) after Ireland beat Romania on pens. 
  • Options
    IF I were any good at football I could play for England, Ireland, Scotland or Northern Ireland. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We genuinely are. Absolutely nobody likes us.

And a lot of it seems quite misplaced. A lot of the time people will refer to how the English overhype the team, arrogance about “it’s coming home” etc.

Couldn’t be further from the truth. Take a look in any England thread, on social media or anyone in the pub. English people will be the first to whinge and tell all that we’re going to fail, that we’ll lose on penalties, Southgate is useless etc etc. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    cafctom said:
    We genuinely are. Absolutely nobody likes us.

And a lot of it seems quite misplaced. A lot of the time people will refer to how the English overhype the team, arrogance about “it’s coming home” etc.

Couldn’t be further from the truth. Take a look in any England thread, on social media or anyone in the pub. English people will be the first to whinge and tell all that we’re going to fail, that we’ll lose on penalties, Southgate is useless etc etc. 
    Yeah I think it comes from the idea that we invented football therefore we think we 'own' it, and endless hype about how this time we are gonna win something, add to that years of hooliganism at away games. Reading twitter after the Euro 2020 final was a shower of hate towards the England team, endless comments on how we cheat to win penalties and are only in the final because we played weak teams for get there etc etc....

The hate comes more from other European and South American football nations as I remember during the 2002 World Cup we were like the second most popular team after Brazil among the asian football fans?

Im sure Ive read a few times down the years that England shirts are the second best selling in the world after Brazil or something? Im not sure if that's still true. 

Its funny how non-English fans who claim to hate the national team will happily support Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea etc....
  • Options
    I think it comes from thinking you're hard and comments about enjoying people not liking you.

you come across very Millwallesque which is different to actually being disliked.

that's not aimed at anyone on here by the way.
  • Options
    Most of it comes from our media being pricks and the hanger-ons acting like twats. Proper England fans are very tempered in their expectations and behavior.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I think it comes from thinking you're hard and comments about enjoying people not liking you.

you come across very Millwallesque which is different to actually being disliked.

that's not aimed at anyone on here by the way.
    If it’s clear that absolutely everyone has it in for us, regardless of how misplaced it is - then there really isn’t any other option but to just say “f*** em then”. And I will absolutely enjoy milking every moment of us eventually winning something to those who have continually enjoyed our failures, even though it shouldn’t concern them.

England travel in brilliant numbers and make themselves known everywhere they go, and usually have to put up with a ton of hassle from locals, police etc. If it were Charlton doing the same then we’d call it brilliant support. 

As for England fans acting Millwallesque - that must be a thing of the past. My experience of match going England fans has found that at home games it’s very, very tame - to the point of it actually being extremely dull. 

And those who travel have to show a lot of dedication just to qualify to get tickets for games. That means spending thousands upon thousands on going to boring qualifying games in countries that aren’t often easy to get to. Very little hooligan element about it considering the effort involved.

I myself am spending close to a grand for hotels and flights just to be at Malta away in the Summer. I doubt there will be many in the same boat who will be spending that money purely to have a row.

Do we have a few idiots? Of course. But that’s a symptom of English football generally at the moment. We have it at Charlton, but it certainly shouldn’t be a reflection of the entire fanbase (which is often portrayed with England)
  • Options
    @cafctev Unfortunately the rule regarding international fixture were made a long time before globalisation was a real thing. Apparently there is a lad playing for Nigels youth team which reckons he can play for 5 different countries. Not sure how you can tighten rules up without discrimination being an issue. Main question is more does anyone care enough to fix it.
    it's been like that for a while though with the grandparent rule.

It could be 6 as your grandparents could be ROI, NI, Welsh and Scottish and you born in France you could then move to England as a four year old and go to school here and qualify for England that way 
    I've never agreed with the grandparent rule, as that's going too far back. I could play for 5 countries for example.

But I decided to concentrate on my club career instead  :D
  • Options
    We don't have lots of options at CB but it is strange that Lewis Dunk is so regularly overlooked. I can't help thinking that if Dunk were playing for Spurs and Dier for Brighton then the former would be in the England squad and the latter wouldn't. Equally Solly March has 13 goals and assists from 30 games this season whereas Grealish has 10 from 36 appearances. If they had swapped clubs perhaps the same thing might happen. 

• Options
    We don't have lots of options at CB but it is strange that Lewis Dunk is so regularly overlooked. I can't help thinking that if Dunk were playing for Spurs and Dier for Brighton then the former would be in the England squad and the latter wouldn't. Equally Solly March has 13 goals and assists from 30 games this season whereas Grealish has 10 from 36 appearances. If they had swapped clubs perhaps the same thing might happen. 

one for me that is odd from the outside is Kalvin Phillips, if he had played as few games at another club would he have started against Italy?
  • Options

one for me that is odd from the outside is Kalvin Phillips, if he had played as few games at another club would he have started against Italy?
    56 minutes for his club this season. If he were still at Leeds with that record he wouldn't even have been in the squad. 
  • Options

56 minutes for his club this season. If he were still at Leeds with that record he wouldn't even have been in the squad. 
    unfortunately that's partly why the smaller teams lose their best players because the players know that just being at a bigger club increases their chances of international recognition