Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2024 qualifying

Comments

• Options
    Ryan Wilson had lived in England for 10 years by the time of his England U16 schoolboy  international. Just after this he changed his name to his Mum's name of Giggs.
    Ironically the schoolboy rule was changed in 2009 if they went to school here or have lived in England for a set period.
     which is why so many players can now play for England despite neither themselves or
    their parents born in England.

Wilf Zaha played for England all the way up to a full International before deciding to play for the place of his and his parents birth: Ivory coast. The point of no return is if it's a competitive match.

The previous rule was daft. When someone moves to this country as a young child, whether from another part of the UK or abroad, it's perfectly reasonable for them to play for the country where they grew up and were educated. It would be daft if someone like Raheem Sterling, who's lived here since he was 5 couldn't play for England, whereas someone like Owen Hargreaves who was born and raised in Canada could, because he has an English parent. 
  • Options
    To be fair, Malta's not a bad destination for a sunny June holiday. 4k is still decent numbers though.
  • Options
    Scotland (population 5.5m) took over 4k there September 2016 for a World Cup qualifier 

England population 56m

• Options
    I’m sure we all know a Scotsman who lives in England.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:
    I’m out in Malta already for the game at the end of this week. 

4,000 England fans due over here - which is outrageous support. 

Could get a bit lively, especially with shot deals like this on
    Is it?
    Yes. It’s bloody brilliant support, considering many football fans in this country seem to care very little about qualifiers against smaller nations.

Yet 4,000 people will be stumping up north of £500 (as a bare minimum) on flights, hotels etc and at least 2-3 days of their time just to see England play in a game that is likely a massive formality.

Would love to hear your counter argument as to how it’s not considered great support….
    I’m not sure a country of ~60M taking 4,000 to a holiday resort in June for a guaranteed win is much to get excited about. 

Malta’s awesome though, have a great time.
  • Options
    Scotland (population 5.5m) took over 4k there September 2016 for a World Cup qualifier 

England population 56m

One of Scotland's bigger games... Teams like Malta are at their level ;)
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:

Is it?
    Yes. It’s bloody brilliant support, considering many football fans in this country seem to care very little about qualifiers against smaller nations.

Yet 4,000 people will be stumping up north of £500 (as a bare minimum) on flights, hotels etc and at least 2-3 days of their time just to see England play in a game that is likely a massive formality.

Would love to hear your counter argument as to how it’s not considered great support….
    I had everything sorted for Malta away, come to around £600 but didnt get a ticket so cancelled. Couldnt really justify a 3 day break on my own to watch it on a tv near the ground.

Have a good one mate.
  • Options
    Loved to be going but sadly can't make it always enjoy England away trips  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:

Is it?

I had everything sorted for Malta away, come to around £600 but didnt get a ticket so cancelled. Couldnt really justify a 3 day break on my own to watch it on a tv near the ground.

Have a good one mate.
    That’s a shame mate. I was actually in the same boat as you at one point and had to rely on the second chance sale to get a ticket. Over 7,000 fans applied for tickets via the supporters club. Which again, is bloody great support and I don’t care what anyone says to try and downplay it. 

It’s going to take a few more away games to build up my caps so that I don’t have to go through the ballot every time. Do you do many of the home games? 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:

Is it?

Have a good one mate.
    That’s a shame mate. I was actually in the same boat as you at one point and had to rely on the second chance sale to get a ticket. Over 7,000 fans applied for tickets via the supporters club. Which again, is bloody great support and I don’t care what anyone says to try and downplay it. 

It’s going to take a few more away games to build up my caps so that I don’t have to go through the ballot every time. Do you do many of the home games? 
    Yeah im going OT on Monday, and will do all the rest of the home qualifiers. I think my main objective is to build my caps up in time for the 2026 World Cup.

I will go out to Germany for the Euro's regardless if I have tickets or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Nice one mate, I’ll also be at Old Trafford on Monday night. 

I reckon I’ll have my points on the cusp for the Euros. Really depends if I am able to get to the away games at Scotland or Macedonia.
  • Options
    Must be a quite a few expats in Malta, so i'm sure we'll have fans in the home areas as well.
  • Options
    North Macedonia away looks difficult to get from a travel perspective. Considering if I get a ticket staying in Greece/Thessorski and hopefully get space on one of the coaches.
  • Options
    Have done Malta before for qualifying - good trip we done 4 days out there probably cost 900/1100 all in. 
  • Options
    Not doing any of the qualifiers but will be out in Germany for the 1st 2 group games in 2024. hoping for group b which is berlin and dortmund 
  • Options
    Im going to Old Trafford on Monday, be nice if there were 9,000 addicks there again. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Not doing any of the qualifiers but will be out in Germany for the 1st 2 group games in 2024. hoping for group b which is berlin and dortmund 
    Loving that it looks like the venues are all mixed up in each group…

Group B as an example has it’s six group games across Berlin, Dortmund, Hamburg, Gelsenkirchen, Düsseldorf and Leipzig.

One of the things that won’t matter to most people (and keeping teams in specific locales is much cheaper if you’re following a specific side I suppose) but makes a refresh change IMO. I got tired of seeing England playing all their games at Wembley in London in 2021 and Al-Bayt in Qatar last year…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Germany is a fantastic location for the Euros, feels like a “proper” place to host a big tournament after some of the carry on in recent years. 
  • Options
    Ryan Wilson had lived in England for 10 years by the time of his England U16 schoolboy  international. Just after this he changed his name to his Mum's name of Giggs.
    Ironically the schoolboy rule was changed in 2009 if they went to school here or have lived in England for a set period.
     which is why so many players can now play for England despite neither themselves or
    their parents born in England.

Wilf Zaha played for England all the way up to a full International before deciding to play for the place of his and his parents birth: Ivory coast. The point of no return is if it's a competitive match.

The previous rule was daft. When someone moves to this country as a young child, whether from another part of the UK or abroad, it's perfectly reasonable for them to play for the country where they grew up and were educated. It would be daft if someone like Raheem Sterling, who's lived here since he was 5 couldn't play for England, whereas someone like Owen Hargreaves who was born and raised in Canada could, because he has an English parent. 
    Eventually, there will be transfer fees for international teams. Abu Dhabi to win the 2050 World Cup.
  • Options
    Germany is going to be brilliant watching 3-4 games a day in the bars good weather
     plus the fun of Watching England & meeting up with our supporters from up & down the country
    already getting excited ha Can't wait  B)
  • Options
    For Germany I’m thinking of staying in the West of the country, as there are 4 stadiums dotted together (Dortmund, Schalke, Cologne and Düsseldorf I think). 

Would like to see the England games live but also take in as many others as possible, like in Qatar. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Wellred said:
    Germany is going to be brilliant watching 3-4 games a day in the bars good weather
     plus the fun of Watching England & meeting up with our supporters from up & down the country
    Only problem with the Euro's being in a major country that is easy and cheap to get to, is it's going to attract an overwhelming number of dickheads, same as the Nations league finals in Portugal.

For all its faults the World Cup in Qatar was great because there was absolutely no aggro at all and fans from all over the world were drinking together. 

In Germany you can bet your life our fans will be on the front pages before our first game has even kicked off.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Only problem with the Euro's being in a major country that is easy and cheap to get to, is it's going to attract an overwhelming number of dickheads, same as the Nations league finals in Portugal.

For all its faults the World Cup in Qatar was great because there was absolutely no aggro at all and fans from all over the world were drinking together. 

In Germany you can bet your life our fans will be on the front pages before our first game has even kicked off.
    Yea there is always trouble at the Euro's & Germany will be the same just got to keep your wit's about you 
    There will be bars that will be a mixture of supporter's away from the main areas always is but your right the English will be in the thick of it as usual 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Germany is a fantastic location for the Euros, feels like a “proper” place to host a big tournament after some of the carry on in recent years. 
    Yeah they deserve it, as will be 50 long barren years since they hosted the World Cup in 74. 

Apart from when they hosted the World Cup in 2006. 

And the euros in 88 

• Options
    cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:

Is it?

To be fair Tom, I don’t it’s the game itself that is the draw…I suspect we won’t have 4K in Macedonia in Nov.

I think it’s decent support but the jocks and Irish would probably take similar from a far smaller support base.

Yes, i’m a tad jealous I’m not going!
  • Options
    North Macedonia away looks difficult to get from a travel perspective. Considering if I get a ticket staying in Greece/Thessorski and hopefully get space on one of the coaches.
    Have you explored going via Sofia That’s what we’re doing and someone is running a coach between. Sofia is cheep and cheerful too 😉
  • Options
    Eze interviewed on the England YT channel. He’s Palace but another very likeable young man involved in the squad. Comes across very well.