Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2024 qualifying

Comments

• Options
    I quite enjoy that our sports teams are hated, it makes a change from being pitied for supporting Charlton.
    When I managed, the comment I enjoyed the most was 'I am glad we won't be playing you again', said in a negative way. Having said that, in terms of England I would prefer to be hated because we are winning trophies.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Im half Irish, but I don't 'feel' particularly Irish. You wouldn't know I was to look at me or hear me talk as I was born and raised in England. Id have to introduce you to my Irish mum for you to know that. On the other hand I know other people who are half Irish and 100% identify with being Irish despite being born and raised here. Even going as far as supporting the Irish sports teams and not England. 

I was born and raised here, therefore England are my no.1 (national) team, but I also support Ireland and even have a few Ireland shirts. Different people embrace their heritage in different ways, there isn't a wrong or right way. 

It gets messy when it comes to who you could end up playing for in international football if you have a mixed heritage. I always thought you just play for the team who offered you a cap first. 
    Interesting. Both my parents are Scottish but I was born in England and have lived here most of my life (save for a couple of years living in Scotland). I definitely support Scotland  in international football and rugby. I wouldn’t say I “support” England, but if they are playing anyone other than Scotland I’ll want them to win. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Im half Irish, but I don't 'feel' particularly Irish. You wouldn't know I was to look at me or hear me talk as I was born and raised in England. Id have to introduce you to my Irish mum for you to know that. On the other hand I know other people who are half Irish and 100% identify with being Irish despite being born and raised here. Even going as far as supporting the Irish sports teams and not England. 

I was born and raised here, therefore England are my no.1 (national) team, but I also support Ireland and even have a few Ireland shirts. Different people embrace their heritage in different ways, there isn't a wrong or right way. 

It gets messy when it comes to who you could end up playing for in international football if you have a mixed heritage. I always thought you just play for the team who offered you a cap first. 
    Interesting. Both my parents are Scottish but I was born in England and have lived here most of my life (save for a couple of years living in Scotland). I definitely support Scotland  in international football and rugby. I wouldn’t say I “support” England, but if they are playing anyone other than Scotland I’ll want them to win. 
    what makes you feel Scottish rather than English se9 ?
  • Options
    England squad for the June qualifiers:

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale, Sam Johnstone.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Lewis Dunk, Marc Guehi, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Eberechi Eze, Conor Gallagher, Jordan Henderson, James Maddison, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice.

Forwards: Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Callum Wilson.

• Options
    Pleased to see Maguire and Phillips in there after their incredible performances this season.

Jokes aside, good to see Dunk and Eze (even though he's Palace) getting in after some good form. Still no Ben White though. Would love to know what actually happened at the world cup.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    No major complaints with that squad. 

The new call-ups are deserved, hard to deny that. And the fixtures involved are appropriate for them to be given a go. 

I like the fact Southgate hasn’t gone soft on the City lads knowing they’ll be in a Champions League final the week before. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Shocked to see Pope miss out. Best shot stopper in the country.

Edit: just seen he’s out for the next couple of months to undergo surgery on his hand. That explains it
  • Options
    cafctom said:

The new call-ups are deserved, hard to deny that. And the fixtures involved are appropriate for them to be given a go. 

I like the fact Southgate hasn’t gone soft on the City lads knowing they’ll be in a Champions League final the week before. 
    Equally he doesnt need to worry about them for the Malta clash. Nice though he's keeping with the nucleus of the squad, rather than go full experimental - Still think his approach to the England team, similar to that of a club team, is one thing thats working on the pitch for us now
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Equally he doesnt need to worry about them for the Malta clash. Nice though he's keeping with the nucleus of the squad, rather than go full experimental - Still think his approach to the England team, similar to that of a club team, is one thing thats working on the pitch for us now
    Absolutely. It’s relatively rare to get the team together to bond away from the busy club schedule, so it would be a mistake to pass up that chance by just going experimental. 

We know the core players for this squad in 2024, and qualification is an almost certainty. Between now and then it’s all about having the players continuing to gel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Pleased to see Maguire and Phillips in there after their incredible performances this season.

Jokes aside, good to see Dunk and Eze (even though he's Palace) getting in after some good form. Still no Ben White though. Would love to know what actually happened at the world cup.
    I don't have any major issues with the squad but I think Southgate is too loyal. An International manager should be fair but have zero loyalty IMO. Dier was in the squad for too long as an example. No way Phillips should be in there. I would understand if he had specific qualities but he is what he is.
  • Options
    I think Philips is in there because he's a reliable familiar face to fall back on if required. I don't really see a problem with that. 

You could potentially put someone like Ramsay in, but he will want to be with the U21's in their Euro's campaign.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/24/harry-maguires-england-squad-gareth-southgate-euro-2024

We really need someone else to step up though.

Guehi maybe, but only after he's left Palace!
  • Options
    Dunk and Bellingham have withdrawn from the squad.

Rice plus the 5 from Man City will join up later this week. Not sure if any will actually play against Malta though. Maybe Phillips will as he's hardly played for City recently but you'd imagine the others will be rested for the second game. 

Means our squad is currently 17 of which 3 are keepers.
  • Options
    Ridiculous that we're playing internationals a month after the PL finished
  • Options
    This isnt new, its pretty common for England to play games in June and has been for decades. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Looks like there could be another England vs Ireland tug of war over a youngster

Albeit for the U21s at the moment, meaning even if he plays for England U21, he wont be tied down as yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65876353

Its also the lad who was linked to us on loan quite a bit last season.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    This isnt new, its pretty common for England to play games in June and has been for decades. 
    Checking the dates, the gap to the EFL finishing is actually the bigger problem. The EFL finished on the 7th/8th May so a 5 week gap. Indeed it's nearer to the start of pre season than the end of the last campaign!
  • Options
    Looks like there could be another England vs Ireland tug of war over a youngster

Albeit for the U21s at the moment, meaning even if he plays for England U21, he wont be tied down as yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65876353

It’s also the lad who was linked to us on loan quite a bit last season.
    Born in the nation of Liverpool, so should really represent them.

Oh wait….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    my kids are half Irish and when Ireland have qualified for tournaments that Scotland haven't I've bought them the Ireland kits. my son gets the Scotland and Charlton shirts anyway.

if my son started wearing an England shirt I would punch him in his little 9 year old face.

seriously though, I wouldn't buy him an England shirt even if he asked for one.
    Look at the big man, threatening to punch a little boy.

Kick him in the shins, it’s easier to hide from social services. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    my kids are half Irish and when Ireland have qualified for tournaments that Scotland haven't I've bought them the Ireland kits. my son gets the Scotland and Charlton shirts anyway.

if my son started wearing an England shirt I would punch him in his little 9 year old face.

seriously though, I wouldn't buy him an England shirt even if he asked for one.
    Look at the big man, threatening to punch a little boy.

Kick him in the shins, it’s easier to hide from social services
    Not if he's in a Scotland or Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    If Ryan Giggs had stayed Ryan Wilson would he have stayed playing for England ?
    For the youngsters on here, ok mainly Foxey, England's achilles hill was they had no Left sided winger /Forward in 1996 in the Euros.
    Inverse wingers weren't in fashion, and as Giggs could go past his Right full back and cross for Shearer running or Teddy Sheringham walking on to the ball this would've made the difference. 22 year old Giggs and 29 year old Gazza, would've been filth.

I believe the break up of Ryan's parents and Jock McFerguson hating the English national team had a major bearing on the sister in-law shagger going to play for Wales instead of picking up a trophy for England.

Nostalgia ain't what it use to be.
  • Options
    Only a friendly but Ukraine have just thrown away a two goal lead against Germany.
  • Options
    For the youngsters on here, ok mainly Foxey, England's achilles hill was they had no Left sided winger /Forward in 1996 in the Euros.
    Inverse wingers weren't in fashion, and as Giggs could go past his Right full back and cross for Shearer running or Teddy Sheringham walking on to the ball this would've made the difference. 22 year old Giggs and 29 year old Gazza, would've been filth.

I believe the break up of Ryan's parents and Jock McFerguson hating the English national team had a major bearing on the sister in-law shagger going to play for Wales instead of picking up a trophy for England.

Stayed playing for England ? 
    He was never qualified to play for England 
    He captained England schoolboys but that was because he was at school in England which was the qualifying criteria but never qualified for the main national team. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m out in Malta already for the game at the end of this week. 

4,000 England fans due over here - which is outrageous support. 

Could get a bit lively, especially with shot deals like this on offer…

Is it?
  • Options

I don’t think Ryan Giggs actually qualified to play for England. He played for England schoolboys (because he was a schoolboy living in England) which I think is what you’re referring to but actually playing for England has different criteria which he didn’t meet. 
  • Options
    Ryan Wilson had lived in England for 10 years by the time of his England U16 schoolboy  international. Just after this he changed his name to his Mum's name of Giggs.
    Ironically the schoolboy rule was changed in 2009 if they went to school here or have lived in England for a set period.
     which is why so many players can now play for England despite neither themselves or
    their parents born in England.

Wilf Zaha played for England all the way up to a full International before deciding to play for the place of his and his parents birth: Ivory coast. The point of no return is if it's a competitive match.

• Options
    Ryan Wilson had lived in England for 10 years by the time of his England U16 schoolboy  international. Just after this he changed his name to his Mum's name of Giggs.
    Ironically the schoolboy rule was changed in 2009 if they went to school here or have lived in England for a set period.
     which is why so many players can now play for England despite neither themselves or
    their parents born in England.

Wilf Zaha played for England all the way up to a full International before deciding to play for the place of his and his parents birth: Ivory coast. The point of no return is if it's a competitive match.

I honestly don’t think Giggs qualified for England:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other