Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    We really are special!

Loan a player, player broken all in the space of a couple of days...

Who ran over the black cat whilst trying to avoid walking under the ladder?
  • Options
    We really are special!

Roland tripped over the cat with his big taped up clown shoes
  • Options
    We really are special!

Bauer is really lucky he gets such a free ride on here
  • Options
    I'm sure we'll fix that as soon as he signs on the dotted line...
  • Options
    We really are special!

Remember Kane is a guy with ACL and knee history. We are shopping in the bargain basement

• Options
    Can people stop pissing their pants because the window is STILL FUCKING OPEN!!!

Some individuals need to grow the hell up

Fed up with the whinging ever since the window opened
    Stop whinging about the people whinging mate, grow up 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    Leuth said:
    I'm not unhappy Purrington isn't still with us. He offered little going forward (except when he decided to literally play striker) and defensively I felt he stood off his man a bit too much. He, Washington and Gilbey also gave me a certain self-pitying vibe which I can't quite fully explain. He'd have been preferable to Clayden, Clare or Chin in the position, for sure, but then we should never have had to play any of those at left-back
    Purrington was league 2 at best!
    Equaliser in the playoff final. Legendary status!
    I suspect we’d have a few more points on the board if he’d been available this season. But yes, it’d be good to have better for sure. 
    Jeez! I used to sigh, every time I saw his name on teamsheet, Sess is miles above his level
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I've not got unrealistic hopes about the playoffs ..I just want to enjoy watching games without clear weaknesses in the lineup that will handicap the performance. 

Jackson stuck with wing backs till the end last season (when he didn't have any) and it wasn't pretty, in my opinion, even when we were playing for nothing.  

Naively I thought a LB was such an urgent priority that there would be at least one (didn't have to be a good one) lined up in the first week of Jan. Alas not, we brought in a right back in mid Jan. 

Injuries happen but it feels like we've got so used to workarounds I can't remember if this is normal or not. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Redhenry said:
    Leuth said:
    I'm not unhappy Purrington isn't still with us. He offered little going forward (except when he decided to literally play striker) and defensively I felt he stood off his man a bit too much. He, Washington and Gilbey also gave me a certain self-pitying vibe which I can't quite fully explain. He'd have been preferable to Clayden, Clare or Chin in the position, for sure, but then we should never have had to play any of those at left-back
    Purrington was league 2 at best!
    Equaliser in the playoff final. Legendary status!
    I suspect we’d have a few more points on the board if he’d been available this season. But yes, it’d be good to have better for sure. 
    Jeez! I used to sigh, every time I saw his name on teamsheet, Sess is miles above his level
    I agree with this and see Sess as someone who could do well in the Champ but it’s seriously harsh to suggest BP isn’t/wasn’t League 1 level. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Where is he now? I missed all the league 1 clubs queuing up to sign him. Why do some of our fans love shite ex players?
    the only reason he signed for us, coz he was cheap
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see why people are writing off this window but I do think signing the likes of Edun on a perm deal might show the likes of Dobbo that we’re going to give it a go next season and he should stick around. 

I’m still hanging onto hopes of creeping into the play-offs but we’ll need a serious run of results. A decent LB and ST could see us run it close but we’ll need a wedge of good fortune, something which has been in short supply in recent years. 
  • Options
    I had a beer with Andy Scott a few times when I lived in Brentwood, just saying 😀
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    J BLOCK said:

We've been here a thousand times though. Club making noises of movement in the market and fail to deliver time and time again. This isn't a one off. We are heading into Jan 20th with an injured LB and Bonne until the end of the season, it's not good enough. 
    However it really doesnt matter what happens come 1st February.

We could sign Gvardiol at Left-Back, and there are no guarantees that he'll succeed here - Why?

Because last summer we signed: Lavelle | Leko | Arter all on the August Deadline Day, the mood over the entire window went from this typical misery to people saying our business that summer was 7/10 or 8/10 in terms of deals.

It really wasn't though was it... All three pretty much flopped
    Surely the fact they flopped is justification for getting your business done earlier? 
    Of course its best to get business done as early as possible

My point is, we can do business early or late, and there are no guarantees that the signings will end up working out - So come the 1st Feb, we can make a truly decent signing that we're all happy with, but unless someone has a time machine, the fact they'll be become successful is unknown.
    Of course, I’m not sure that’s totally relevant to the point people are making though. We needed a left back as soon as the window opened, regardless of how they turned out. It’s only a left back though, some of the whining is definitely well over the top. It’s not cost us either. 
    Well yes and we were after a left back right from the start. Edun was close enough to get a Cawley article but then had an injury scare. The club can't really be blamed there.
    Possibly, and of course we can't completely control the situation. I'm not sure the deal was that close, after all he was playing a match for Blackburn U21's that day. 
  • Options
    Cawley said it was
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Where is he now? I missed all the league 1 clubs queuing up to sign him. Why do some of our fans love shite ex players?
    the only reason he signed for us, coz he was cheap
    He’s playing in the Scottish Prem. Got a better market value than a large amount of our current squad. There’s been times that we could have 100% used him. The fact Sess is far better isn’t part of the discussion imo. 

FWIW I think Edun would be far better than BP too and I really hope we sign him. 
  • Options

Stop whinging about the people whinging mate, grow up 
    Stop whining about people who whine about others whining. Grow Up
  • Options
    Clutching at straws there pal. Rangers, Celtic champ level. 
    Purringtons team won 4 from 22 games. League 2 level!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    _nam11 said:
    RE:- sending Kane back.

I could be wrong, but I thought loans could not be terminated until 28 days of the registration has lapsed unless;
    a) it was agreed by both parties, by way of a recall clause 
    b) the league may grant it, if agreed by both clubs if the player cannot fulfil the rest of the term due to injury (May/June).
    How did we get AMB back?  
    Goalkeepers are able to be called back at any time providing it gets sign off from the league for extreme cases, or the parent club has only one professional keeper registered.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    We have a decent base at the moment and I don’t want to add players like Purrington to the squad. We have to be aiming higher. More Sess type signings less Purr pls Charlton
    Nothing suggests we have the money to sign the likes of Sess going forward though sadly. We might get some prospects on loan like JRS but without decentish money backing us we’ll struggle for stability. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can only hope
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I shouldn't really post this because I don't believe it and the source is unreliable.

Acworth saying that we are in for Danny Rose. Well at least he is an out of contact left back.
    What do you mean, the source is unreliable?
    If you can't trust royalty, who can you trust?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/holden-issues-update-kane-and-sessegnon

Asked if the two setbacks have impacted the club’s transfer plans, Holden said: “We’ve been looking for someone in that position (left-back) for a while now. It’s not easy because you think there’s one close and then things change all the time. I forgot how mad this was at my previous job when I was at Bristol City.”

No prizes for guessing the left back he's referring to.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    have to admit I'm not really that bothered about this transfer window. Relegation very unlikely as is promotion. Just want to hang on to Leaburn, Ness, Fraser & Dobbo and if we can bring in a couple like Todd (point to prove, out of contract in the summer, take a good look at them now) then great. The summer will be a big rebuilding exercise.

Of greater importance now is who will be owning us and what their ambition is.
    Might need to give the first two a pay rise, as Fraser is paid 15x what they are. 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    I had a beer with Andy Scott a few times when I lived in Brentwood, just saying 😀
    And ? 
  • Options
    I started the year thinking that we had turned a corner & that I could trust what people (aka Andy Scott) said. 

I'm afraid to say that another transfer window is passing us by and that everyone in charge at CAFC lies with gay abandon. To this end Andy Scott is no different to Gallen/Sandgaard or Southall.

All talk and no action.

Gah.............I'm done  !
    I stopped expecting new faces at the club when Airman said we will only be bringing in loans and free agents. It was obvious the new lot sniffing around have no money.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    I've not got unrealistic hopes about the playoffs ..I just want to enjoy watching games without clear weaknesses in the lineup that will handicap the performance. 

Jackson stuck with wing banks till the end last season (when he didn't have any) and it wasn't pretty, in my opinion, even when we were playing for nothing.  

Naively I thought a LB was such an urgent priority that there would be at least one (didn't have to be a good one) lined up in the first week of Jan. Alas not, we brought in a right back in mid Jan. 

Injuries happen but it feels like we've got so used to workarounds I can't remember if this is normal or not. 
    We know we’ve been after Edun but it’s not completely under our control. Clubs, agents and players want the best deal, clubs decide when they let players go etc. Better to wait for the right player than just sign a player because he’s available on January 1st.
    It’s why most business is done late - especially in January.  To use a house buying analogy it’s a bit like a chain of buyers when all clubs need to have replacements lined up before players can be let go and chains can be completed.