Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Weren't Cosgrove and Mumba on loan from higher levels? (Cosgrove from Birmingham City , Mumba from Norwich) 

And obviously Dane Scarlett on loan from Spurs to Pompey
  • Options
    All I can add is if those figures are anywhere near real no wonder football is shafted !!!
  • Options
    I started the year thinking that we had turned a corner & that I could trust what people (aka Andy Scott) said. 

I'm afraid to say that another transfer window is passing us by and that everyone in charge at CAFC lies with gay abandon. To this end Andy Scott is no different to Gallen/Sandgaard or Southall.

All talk and no action.

Gah.............I'm done  !
    I stopped expecting new faces at the club when Airman said we will only be bringing in loans and free agents. It was obvious the new lot sniffing around have no money.

Sorry, but why would someone sniffing around provide money for transfers?
    That was my point, however a lot of people seem disappointed we have not signed more players 
  • Options
    TEL said:

If the above is even remotely correct then football in league one..  Division 3 ffs is absolutely bonkers!
    Where did you find this list chap,

Find it really hard to believe Plymouth have two players on 900k a year 
  • Options
    There is no chance that Sam Cosgrove is on nearly a million quid a year. 
    Isn't he on loan from the championship?
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    No. Most business is not done late by an organised club, with clearly identified targets, a budget to work with and a strategy 

We've sadly had none of this since 2018.

We've also not had our own, proper left back since May!  
    We're in League One. You need only to look at the high profile transfer sagas at Europe's biggest clubs to know this isn't true. But also, we're not that. We're relying on frees (few in January) and loans, which means we're at the mercy of other clubs.

Yes, it would be great if all of our business was done by the first week of January. But that's completely unrealistic. We've moved two fringe players on and brought in two players who improve the squad. This is a good window so far. We need more, obviously namely a LB, but when you're relying on other clubs to hand you players, you cannot be demanding about timelines. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Weren't Cosgrove and Mumba on loan from higher levels? (Cosgrove from Birmingham City , Mumba from Norwich) 

And obviously Dane Scarlett on loan from Spurs to Pompey
    No way will Plymouth be paying 100% of the salaries for Cosgrove and Mumba!
    Exactly. Makes the whole list a bit odd. 
  • Options

• Options

You've agreed with me. We are shopping in bargain basement with an owner with no money who has made ongoing mistakes for 2 1/2 seasons now. 

@Scoham has agreed with me too by saying we have the wrong people and wrong strategies.

Yes we've improved a woefully inadequate squad with two in and two out. Amazing!

We STILL don't have a left footed left back nor a left footed central defender. 

Sess has been injury load managing since the Summer!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any news on Edun, Stockton and Mullins? 
  • Options
    TEL said:

If the above is even remotely correct then football in league one..  Division 3 ffs is absolutely bonkers!
    Where did you find this list chap,

Find it really hard to believe Plymouth have two players on 900k a year 
    The list just notes their salary, it doesn't mean Plymouth will be paying it in full. I'd be surprised if Plymouth are even paying half their wages.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Interesting link , was quite impressive for Donny a couple of years back. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Can play wing back
  • Options
    cfgs said:

A rather random list of clubs interested. 2 of the larger L1 clubs and a L2 one
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    No but Julian Gray is in the building.
    Is he using a zimmerframe these days?
  • Options
    If we haven't signed a LB in time for tomorrow, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the window IMHO
  • Options
    supaclive said:

You've agreed with me. We are shopping in bargain basement with an owner with no money who has made ongoing mistakes for 2 1/2 seasons now. 

@Scoham has agreed with me too by saying we have the wrong people and wrong strategies.

Yes we've improved a woefully inadequate squad with two in and two out. Amazing!

My point was having a great strategy developed by the right people doesn’t guarantee your signings are done early. Clubs doing well will make signings late in the window because it’s not entirely within their control.

It’s a reasonable explanation as to why we haven’t signed a left back yet, we know we’re after Edun but Blackburn aren’t yet in a position to let players go.

I’m sure the majority agree we need a left back but let’s not exaggerate the point by including a left footed centre back too. It’s not a requirement in a more direct style such as Holden’s.

For someone like Garner you’re better off prioritising two ball playing CBs over having say a Jason Pearce simply because he’s left footed.

Nobody cared when Powell’s team won the title only using right footed centre backs. It’s a nice to have, but a long way down the list of reasons to criticise the owner for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is no chance that Sam Cosgrove is on nearly a million quid a year. 
    Isn't he on loan from the championship?
    Have to admit I didn't realise that, I thought he'd now gone permanently. So the list is a little pointless because it's not like a League 1 club are paying that out in wages. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:

No chance we're going to be in for a left sided CB when we have 5 on the books. That's something we need in the summer though. The left-back is poor, really poor. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    J BLOCK said:
    Redhenry said:
    If we haven't signed a LB in time for tomorrow, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the window IMHO
    Does the last 20 days not tell you everything you need to know already?
    What u heard? i mean facts, not the usual whingers stuff
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    It’s clear we want Edun. Why would we bring someone in today (for one game) when we are likely to be able to get our first choice next week?

We’ve gone the whole season without a LB so one more game won’t make or break our year.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I've always stuck to the "Be patient, most clubs get their business done at the end of the window..." side of the argument.

But I've come to realise that we are not most clubs. We have a shoddy recruitment setup that seems to have a list of about eight players, has a history of recruiting players well below the standard we need (or not recruiting at all) and so I think it's perfectly reasonable for some of our fans to have no faith they will get things done.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    supaclive said:

Ness seems to be reasonable two footed. Perhaps that’s why he always looks quite comfortable?