Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    Expect the business we do over the next 10 days very much depends on our ability to offload dead wood like Stockley & Kirk.

If we don’t offload one or two of the above then I see no more than one signing (the obvious LB we need).
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Quite funny! Wonder who owns the car? 
    Probably a Dutch player...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    You’d be crazy not to think this transfer window is going exactly the same way as all the others in recent years. All the talk is about Edun, a player in a position we desperately need so no one talks about anyone else or any other positions. He signs for someone else in the last few days of the window we sign someone shit or nobody at all, and neglect all the other positions we need players for 
    Some people dump their frustrations on here when things don't happen as quickly as they think it should.
    And then try to portray their opinions as fact.

That maybe is the herd instinct of many on Charlton Life ..... but back in the real world, things can often be happening behind the scenes that we haven't been told about yet.

In fact, Dean Holden has said time and time again that the club are not discussing their transfer business until a signing is made. Okay, I get that some people don't pay attention or disregard what he says - but really, that's the truth of the matter: the club are not discussing transfer business until a signing is made.

Curbs did no differently, so why does it become such an issue right now?

The same people say this every window and every time they’re wrong. It’s not dumping frustrations, it’s a statement based on a number of years of evidence.
    My post wasn't specifically aimed at you personally, @Smithy but there is this relentless wave of negativity that saturates much of Charlton Life.

The past doesn't always have to dictate the future - and anyway, there's already much talk of change, whether that's with this owner or takeover. We've already seen change of manager, new direction and tactics on the pitch,  plus a lot more positivity from players.

There's 10 days of the transfer window left. If on February 1st you are bitterly disappointed with quality of signings or lack of transfer activity, then you'll be proved right. But right now, let's wait and see how things do finally unfold.
    Without the past the present has no future.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    You’d be crazy not to think this transfer window is going exactly the same way as all the others in recent years. All the talk is about Edun, a player in a position we desperately need so no one talks about anyone else or any other positions. He signs for someone else in the last few days of the window we sign someone shit or nobody at all, and neglect all the other positions we need players for 
    Some people dump their frustrations on here when things don't happen as quickly as they think it should.

That maybe is the herd instinct of many on Charlton Life ..... but back in the real world, things can often be happening behind the scenes that we haven't been told about yet.

In fact, Dean Holden has said time and time again that the club are not discussing their transfer business until a signing is made. Okay, I get that some people don't pay attention or disregard what he says - but really, that's the truth of the matter: the club are not discussing transfer business until a signing is made.

The same people say this every window and every time they’re wrong. It’s not dumping frustrations, it’s a statement based on a number of years of evidence.
    My post wasn't specifically aimed at you personally, @Smithy but there is this relentless wave of negativity that saturates much of Charlton Life.

The past doesn't always have to dictate the future - and anyway, there's already much talk of change, whether that's with this owner or takeover. We've already seen change of manager, new direction and tactics on the pitch,  plus a lot more positivity from players.

There's 10 days of the transfer window left. If on February 1st you are bitterly disappointed with quality of signings or lack of transfer activity, then you'll be proved right. But right now, let's wait and see how things do finally unfold.
    Very profound...🤔
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Smithy said:

Very profound...🤔
    Lewis Coaches is Cantona 
  • Options
    Edun on the bench for Blackburn
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I see that  our ex player Tarique Fosu has joined Rotherham on loan. Does this mean Shane Ferguson is now available?

He would be able to cover left back.
    Maybe not .Ferguson both starting and scoring for the Millers this afternoon.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

You've agreed with me. We are shopping in bargain basement with an owner with no money who has made ongoing mistakes for 2 1/2 seasons now. 

@Scoham has agreed with me too by saying we have the wrong people and wrong strategies.

Yes we've improved a woefully inadequate squad with two in and two out. Amazing!

We STILL don't have a left footed left back nor a left footed central defender. 

Sess has been injury load managing since the Summer!

No I haven't. I've explained that the idea of a L1 club doing business at the start of the January window is a fantasy. Furthermore, we're not shopping in the "bargain basement." We've just brought in two players who have come down from the Championship. Neither are perfect, but they've been playing at the level above us. 

Furthermore, I don't buy that signing players from L2 is the bargain basement either. As I've said many tines, one way to build a team in this division is to pick off the best from a division below you. Frankly, that's a good way to build at least part of a team in any division.

Jojo has looked very good. Egbo and O'Connell have been good and we missed them when they were hurt. Payne has been decent, but I don't think we've used him in a way that gets the best out of him. He still has like four assists in the league. 

The one place I do agree with you is we need LB cover. I've said it since the summer. I think everyone on here agrees. 

As for CB, I'm less concerned with the emergence of Ness and O'Connell's return to fitness. If we can get a CB we feel can start regularly, great, bring him in and loan out Lavelle (plus Mitchell and Deji). If not, we're okay there, I do think Thomas has quality (another who came down from the Championship) that we haven't really seen due to injury. 

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    I see that  our ex player Tarique Fosu has joined Rotherham on loan. Does this mean Shane Ferguson is now available?

Ever since he was "linked" with us, he's been playing regularly for Rotherham!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:

Ever since he was "linked" with us, he's been playing regularly for Rotherham!
    The reason I have kept an eye on the situation is because someone on here said it may have been stopped due to an injury crisis at Rotherham.

I thought Fosu's signing might have released him.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Swisdom said:
    We have signed a left footed left back! Loan so not spent a penny

he was due to be announced on the team sheet today, but obviously it didn’t quite go to plan. He’s a steady-Eddie but has had a decent season before Christmas.

still looking at a couple of others.  One of which could be rather exciting if we can get him.

we narrowly missed out on Massimo Luongo who chose to go to Ipswich.  Shame as he’s decent
    Can you confirm it’s not a former player 🤔.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    RedChaser said:
    Swisdom said:
    We have signed a left footed left back! Loan so not spent a penny

he was due to be announced on the team sheet today, but obviously it didn’t quite go to plan. He’s a steady-Eddie but has had a decent season before Christmas.

still looking at a couple of others.  One of which could be rather exciting if we can get him.

we narrowly missed out on Massimo Luongo who chose to go to Ipswich.  Shame as he’s decent
    Can you confirm it’s not a former player 🤔.
    Best of all it is not a former player 😀😀
    Phew! 😅
  • Options
    Crossing my fingers it’s Kieran Sadlier
  • Options
    @Swisdom why hasn't it been announced after the game was called off?
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    It’s not I’m afraid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    We were going to announce a new signing via them being on the team sheet today?

Am I missing something here. 
    That’s correct.

Apparently Barnsley did it to us recently and announced a new signing at kick off. I think the idea was Peterborough was set up to play against a right-footed left back in Sess and this would give us some psychological edge  

It will be announced in due course, but it is done
    I can see why teams might do that.

That is interesting. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    He is not a left footed left back.
  • Options
    Wonder if they'll wait till Monday now before announcing it
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    mart77 said:
    It’s not I’m afraid
    Fair play, interesting if it’s one Andy Scott helped set up. 
  • Options
    Kieran Sadlier scored for Bolton today
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    We have signed a left footed left back! Loan so not spent a penney

who is it then? Don't understand the need for secrecy if its done
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    We have signed a left footed left back! Loan so not spent a penney

who is it then? Don't understand the need for secrecy if its done
    Because if someone has told Swisdom, they've done it knowing that he wont go and blab, whenever he tells him what is happening inside the walls @ Charlton.

If Swisdom or anyone else ITK ever betrays that confidentiality, the source themselves may get into trouble if known, or they may decide that the person posting the details on here cant be trusted.
  • Options
    Exciting.
    Pity it didn’t work out as that would have been fantastic, especially for the fans who travelled.