Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Plymouth Argyle V Charlton Athletic | Saturday 4th March 2023 | KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    Battled hard first half 
    Got done by a huge mistake straight after the second half started. 
    Despite not scoring in our last 4 games I still believe we will stay up.

My biggest concern is if the guitar playing Wankpuffin is still our owner next season. 
    Because if he is we are in for another season of abject misery. 
    Totally agree, indeed I think we will stay up comfortably. It’s still tight point wise around the middle of the table, and we’ve just had a very hard run of games.

But yep, all that does not matter, as we will be in the same position or worse next season unless something changes. 

• Options
    edited March 2023
    1StevieG said:
    7 hours and 18 mins since our last goal. Jesus….
    If we get new owners then up front is where w need to spend serious money. If Sandgaard is still in charge next season then we will get relegated

As I've said for the past good knows how many years.

Buy a fucking striker or 2. Ones that can score close to 20 goals a season. Until this happens we are going niwhere apart from downwards. 

Not going next Saturday. Better things to do. USPGA from Sawgrass is on. 

7 clean sheets all season, which puts us 18th in that table.

Still 9th in the league for amount of goals scored, even though we are going through this drought (against top sides). Let’s see where we finish at the end of the season. 

100% need a good quality striker, 100% need to spend good money to get a good quality striker in - especially with JRS going. 

We won’t go anywhere next year if we can’t keep clean sheets and routinely concede 2 goals a game - no matter how good that striker is. 
  • Options
    I didn't go, and didn't even bother with the stream today. At the moment, we're competitive against the top teams, in the sense that we're not being hammered, but at the expense of being totally toothless in attack, which doesn't make great viewing.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    If we get new owners then up front is where w need to spend serious money. If Sandgaard is still in charge next season then we will get relegated

Buy a fucking striker or 2. Ones that can score close to 20 goals a season. Until this happens we are going niwhere apart from downwards. 

Spot on Golfie, you cannot play anyone and give yourself a chance of winning without quality up front. Hardie for Plymouth is the difference and his performance allows his midfield to gain confidence that the ball isn't coming back into them and there is a very good chance that he will create or score a goal. Unfortunately the Sandgaards knew better than to buy that type of forward, or any forward. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Mr. Happy said:
    Done with this season. Looking forward to next season, which I'm sure will be really very nice and good.
    Done with this season. Looking forward to next season which I fear will be even more monumentally shyte than this one. 
  • Options
    We aren't even a L1 mid-table team anymore!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rak Sakyi is completely wasted down the middle. 3 goals in 4 games in January/Feb playing off the right. Since Holden moved him centrally he might aswell not be there. Complete waste considering he’s our only player who can make something out of nothing.
    Agreed, it's not perfect but 433 suits him far better.
  • Options
    Well, we lost...again, this time 2-0, no shots on target, and a run of four games without a goal, clearly the players couldn't give a flying fu*k about this club, the only probable exceptions I would say would be Ness, AMB and two of the subs Kanu & Leaburn, the rest should club together and give the 600+ travelling Addicks their costs back..
    Watching Deans post match stuff, the guy looks broken and bereft of any positivity, and clearly don't know if he is punched, bored or countersunk with regards where we and he goes for the rest of the season, with the whole club and his career up in the air at the moment, it must be hell living within this club...but hang in there Dean..
    Anyway back to our level next week...Accrington Stanley at home, in the first of three games we SHOULD win🤞
  • Options
    Someone tell Holden to jam this 352 up his bollocks. He's obviously been itching to go back to it since he started with it in his first games (which we lost), and the effect is we've solidified our defence to the point where we still concede anyway and completely removed our threat, which comes exclusively from two specific players who happen to be wingers. Of our three top scorers only one of them started, and he was out of position. I don't really care if he just can't choose between Ness, Inniss and Hector, pick two of their names out of a hat and focus on providing a platform for the few attacking players we have who can actually play football. I have a horrible feeling that if Holden is around next season he would want to focus on recruiting to suit a 352 and lads, I just can't take it.
  • Options
    I watched the game. 
    Why start Bonne when you have Leaburn, CBT and Kanu in the squad ?

Planning for next year starts now, these 3 should be getting game time in place of that waste of space. 
  • Options
    On the question ' why are we not starting  with Leaburn '. 
    Anybody can see he is miles better than Bonn. (sorry about that).
    DH commented last week ' Miles has to be carefully managed'.
    He is still a very young man and he's already had more than his share of injuries.

I'm  sure DH would start with Miles IF the medical/fitness  advice allowed.
  • Options
    Would happily send 2-3 loans back now, just to make a point.  We're achieving nothing with Kilkenny, Sessignon (let alone Penney).  Dobson head & shoulders above anyone else in central midfield, including Morgan & Henry.  Truly, truly terrible.

6,000 to see Accrington next week...
    Could be our lowest home attendance at a league match at The Valley since our return (?)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    1StevieG said:

Still 9th in the league for amount of goals scored, even though we are going through this drought (against top sides). Let’s see where we finish at the end of the season. 

100% need a good quality striker, 100% need to spend good money to get a good quality striker in - especially with JRS going. 

We won’t go anywhere next year if we can’t keep clean sheets and routinely concede 2 goals a game - no matter how good that striker is. 
    I disagree. Score the first goal & it completely changes the game. This is League 1. Players are not very good. You are but going to win loads of games 1-0 like the Arsenal of old.   The Arsenal of new let in 2 today but still managed to win. And I counted 11 teams who had scored 45 goals - almost half the league.

Funny how the teams near the top have players on 15 + goals. Doubt many teams with players not in double figures are in the top 6. 

As last week showed, keeping a clean sheet without scoring only gets you a point. You need to score at least once to win a game of football. It really is that simple. 
  • Options
    Would happily send 2-3 loans back now, just to make a point.  We're achieving nothing with Kilkenny, Sessignon (let alone Penney).  Dobson head & shoulders above anyone else in central midfield, including Morgan & Henry.  Truly, truly terrible.

6,000 to see Accrington next week...
    Could be our lowest home attendance at a league match at The Valley since our return (?)
    There’s been a few contenders this season alone. It will likely be very low for a Saturday league match. 
  • Options
    How did Kilkenny stay on for 90?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

This. If TS is still here then 'these could be the 'good old days.''
  • Options
    I’ve lost patience with Holden and his team selections and Bonne getting all that game time without any end product. The late substitutions are doing my head in too especially when it’s so obvious from first half performances that we’re never going to hit the target let alone score. I can see why there is a ‘love in’ for Holden though because he does look the part with his new trainers and fashionable crew necks, but for me I think he’s out of his depth.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    First half felt even but wasn't in reality. We broke forward well and looked like we could threaten in a few occasions but the usual breakdown at the last ball/shot meant we were anything but. 

Plymouth looked very good, some skillful players who can move and pass the ball well,.but the back 3 did well and kept us in it up to half time.

That was it.  Quick gifted goal and it was mainly all Plymouth with us continuing with the pretending to look threatening thing - until the subs came in and kanu and leaburn and actually did make us look a bit if a threat, bit, too little too late.

Usual huff and puff with individuals not being good enough.

Pretty meh. 
  • Options
    Too many of this squad are poor quality, gutless or both. We’re not safe and think it’ll be a painful end to the season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Battled hard first half 
    Got done by a huge mistake straight after the second half started. 
    Despite not scoring in our last 4 games I still believe we will stay up.

My biggest concern is if the guitar playing Wankpuffin is still our owner next season. 
    Because if he is we are in for another season of abject misery. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I really hope we start with Kanu & Leaburn in the next match. Could be another 7hrs 18 mins until we score with Bonne up front. 
    Difference was, Bonne was pretty much on his own up front the whole time he was on the pitch. He won 6 or 7 headers in that time, with no one running on to them. Also, our build up play was so ponderous, I'm surprised he doesn't pull out a fd up chair to sit on while waiting for the ball.
    When Leaburn and Kanu came on, we played 442, with everyone seeming to be much happier in that formation. We also got the ball forward much quicker, catching their defence out of position several times. That 20-25 minute spell of pressure shows how we could and should be playing, as it rattled a top two side and really got our support going.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    1StevieG said:

I disagree. Score the first goal & it completely changes the game. This is League 1. Players are not very good. You are but going to win loads of games 1-0 like the Arsenal of old.   The Arsenal of new let in 2 today but still managed to win. And I counted 11 teams who had scored 45 goals - almost half the league.

Funny how the teams near the top have players on 15 + goals. Doubt many teams with players not in double figures are in the top 6. 

As last week showed, keeping a clean sheet without scoring only gets you a point. You need to score at least once to win a game of football. It really is that simple. 
    I do somewhat agree with you. Score the first goal, or indeed any goal, and it can often change the flow of the game.

So you’ll have to remind me how we conceded the first goal today? It was another of the many defensive mistakes we have made this season. We conceded, and then we’re left chasing against a good team.

The reality is only 8 teams have a scored more goals than us. One of them Bristol Rovers who have a striker on 15 goals.

But why are Bristol in 15th and in the bottom half of the table like us. Because they’ve conceded 55 goals.