Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Plymouth Argyle V Charlton Athletic | Saturday 4th March 2023 | KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Thought I'd sum it up......

• Options
    Last played well January 14th. 

Almost 2 months of terrible performances, with terrible players, terrible management and terrible formations. 

Bring on next season. 
    And what makes you think next season will be an improvement on the one- or the one before?
  • Options
    While not wishing to gloss over the crap we have seen lately.I do think a touch of good fortune is due.we have not been hammered,most of the defeats have been the result of an individual error,or a crap decision(Free kicks for Derby and Bolton,and a sending off at a vital time which was wrong).Ness has hardley put a foot wrong,one error ,goal.Innis has been very sound,one misunderstanding between him and Brewer,goal.Yes we have been outplayed a lot,but hardley any of the goals we have let in have come from opponents good play.Just looking for positives.
  • Options
    We don't have the ball in attacking areas enough, and when we do we don't have enough players in and around the box to increase the chances of the ball falling to one of them.
    I think a heat map would show that.
    That's why it isn't all about having a great striker (although that would help of course).
    It's all about the midfield and wide players (other than JRS) not being good enough.
  • Options
    I only followed the result on soccer Saturday, but I have accepted that when we go the top 6 we are just one of those routine home wins which they can get without having to play anywhere near there best. 

We now have the joy of three consecutive matches when opposition will sit in a low block and watch us try and pathetically break them down. 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Come down here hoping for more but being honest got exactly what i expected 
    Just leaving for home now thinking that's me with away game's
    not going to make all this effort for a team that look like they can't be arsed half the time so home games only here on in 
    Everyone going on about owners to blame but these players have got more in them then they are giving us that's the hardest bit to take 
    To be honest, I don't think they have got more to give. It's by & large a squad built on the cheap, made up of L2 standard players, crocks & inconsistent performers that show the odd flash of being decent before reminding us of why they're not playing at a higher level. It all starts at the very top and until that changes, don't expect to see any improvement on the pitch
    Iits more than about our budget if it was we wouldn't be in 16th place there are loads of reasons why teams don't perform properly although it does help to have a bigger budget
    But Recruitment of players The manager  the players themselves if they are not giving 100%
    They lose their best game you can have the best players in the league but if they don't give it their all it won't work
    I am not sticking up for our owners but just saying it's not just down to them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just noticed that we still have to play 5 of the 8 below us, including Morecambe twice. That’s 6 out of the last 12 games potentially being 6 pointers. If we can’t find our scoring boots soon (and to do this we need to find our hitting the target boots first) we could easily get sucked into an ugly finish to the season.
    9 of the remaining 12 games are against bottom half teams.
  • Options
    Just noticed that we still have to play 5 of the 8 below us, including Morecambe twice. That’s 6 out of the last 12 games potentially being 6 pointers. If we can’t find our scoring boots soon (and to do this we need to find our hitting the target boots first) we could easily get sucked into an ugly finish to the season.
    9 of the remaining 12 games are against bottom half teams.
    So Playoffs are still on... ;)
    Ha 
  • Options
    Club going nowhere fast. I don’t see any monied red and white knights riding to our rescue either. We’re a mid table third tier club saddled with massive problems of ground ownership and a stadium that’s just too expensive for a club of our stature to run. Squad is un exciting and plodding in every area. Fans are without exception demoralised to the point of despair. Up until two seasons ago I still harboured thoughts of perhaps in five or six seasons making a return to the top flight. It will take literally a miracle for that now. Been going since I was 5 years old in 1961. Never felt as despondent as I do now. The last ten years have probably done for a generation of young addicks support. The list of those culpable is unbelievably long. I’m actually quite close to not giving a fuck anymore. It’s too bloody painful watching a lifetime long friend in terminal decline. 
    Couldn't have put it better @ShootersHillGuru
    Have supported over an almost identical timespan and, yes we have had bad times in the past but never before have I felt we were so trapped in a downward spiral and ill equipped to recover.
    Rock and a hard place springs to mind (or is that a cock (Sandgaard) and a charred face (Duchatelet)).
    I don't have any fight left in me. We are at the mercy of people whose primary motivation is not centred on what is best for Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Club going nowhere fast. I don’t see any monied red and white knights riding to our rescue either. We’re a mid table third tier club saddled with massive problems of ground ownership and a stadium that’s just too expensive for a club of our stature to run. Squad is un exciting and plodding in every area. Fans are without exception demoralised to the point of despair. Up until two seasons ago I still harboured thoughts of perhaps in five or six seasons making a return to the top flight. It will take literally a miracle for that now. Been going since I was 5 years old in 1961. Never felt as despondent as I do now. The last ten years have probably done for a generation of young addicks support. The list of those culpable is unbelievably long. I’m actually quite close to not giving a fuck anymore. It’s too bloody painful watching a lifetime long friend in terminal decline. 
    There's a very good point in here - just as when we were at Palace, we are losing a new generation of fans at the moment.

Parents can indoctrinate their kids all the like into supporting charlton but when they reach the age when they start to make their own decisions why on earth would they want to tag along with a league one club who seem to be in permanent crisis and have no chance of winning anything. Sadly, even our 2 fellow South London clubs are more attractive to support atm compared to us. And that's before you start thinking of arsenal, man utd etc.
  • Options
    I know it is about what the players do on the pitch, but until we finally get a settled owner/s, who are interested in improving the club, we will always employ inferior cheap players and therefore we will have no success on the pitch
  • Options
    Good points made by both but as down as you feel there is evidence that the ownership of this club is about to change and that may be a cause for worry or otherwise. I can see any owner, who wants to sell, trying to get the best deal, Sandgaard's step away from Charlie was in his own words, dictated because of that group not picking up the wage bill. This is a wage bill that Sandgaard is no longer willing to provide for but his overall costs are rising by the day, I expect the Valley to look sparse for the rest of the season and Sandgaard cannot last that long. He has already had his fingers burnt with chancers, if I was him I would sell to someone who can provide funding immediately and provide him with a get out of jail free card. 
    Any buyer needs to approach the running of the club in a far different manner and they need to hit the ground running, season ticket prices and matchday prices are to be released soon and if Sandgaard hasn't sold by then I would see it that any prospective buyer would see this as having his hands tied, and would have a hell of a job trying to get supporters through the door.
    I don't see any possibility of another bull shitter like Sandgaard and I think Sandgaard, as desperate as he is, will want an owner with clout, as that's the only way he offloads this club.  
  • Options
    Late to the party, but I enjoyed the game up to the 2nd goal. Yes it was backs to the wall stuff for a large part of it but there was determination to stop them and the players were giving their best. Really unfortunate for Ness, but no worse than some experienced players mistakes this season, and Ness has the benefit of being able to say he is learning his trade. I thought we would get back into it with the Kanu and Leaburn on.
    To the many negative posts, yes OK you get it off your chest, why not just give yourself a break from CAFC until you feel better about it. I did it in the past.

• Options
    Things will get better over the rest of March. Accrington, Cambridge, Morecambe etc is more our level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    addick19 said:
    Last played well January 14th. 

Almost 2 months of terrible performances, with terrible players, terrible management and terrible formations. 

Bring on next season. 
    And what makes you think next season will be an improvement on the one- or the one before?
    Sarcasm. 
  • Options
    the tactics in that first half were absolutely appalling, that’s not the ownerships fault 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Good points made by both but as down as you feel there is evidence that the ownership of this club is about to change and that may be a cause for worry or otherwise. I can see any owner, who wants to sell, trying to get the best deal, Sandgaard's step away from Charlie was in his own words, dictated because of that group not picking up the wage bill. This is a wage bill that Sandgaard is no longer willing to provide for but his overall costs are rising by the day, I expect the Valley to look sparse for the rest of the season and Sandgaard cannot last that long. He has already had his fingers burnt with chancers, if I was him I would sell to someone who can provide funding immediately and provide him with a get out of jail free card. 
    Any buyer needs to approach the running of the club in a far different manner and they need to hit the ground running, season ticket prices and matchday prices are to be released soon and if Sandgaard hasn't sold by then I would see it that any prospective buyer would see this as having his hands tied, and would have a hell of a job trying to get supporters through the door.
    I don't see any possibility of another bull shitter like Sandgaard and I think Sandgaard, as desperate as he is, will want an owner with clout, as that's the only way he offloads this club.  
    Not really that significant an issue. Matchday prices, although linked to season tickets, don't need to be announced for four months and the ST revenue isn't going to change by more than £250k either way based on price alone. The main problem is that people won't want to buy until they feel the club has some idea how to move forward, which a new owner may provide.
  • Options
    I hope our wingers are watching Johnson of Forest playing now on Sky. That is what we want them to do, even with their reduced skill 🤗
  • Options
    Personal I didn't think Plymouth was anything special we was ok in the first half but once they scored we just looked like our heads went down lost a bit of pace in our game when it should have inspired us to step up our game
    & Have a real go at them that's down to the players & also our manager for not getting that through to them I could handle it better if we did 
    But sadly this is the level we are at struggling in this league the sooner this season is over the better for me & just hope we sort out all our problems on & off the field going into the next season 
  • Options
    The problem is that you can look at most teams and see they have scorers and missers in the side. That is normal. Our issue is the balance. We are over run with players who get less than they should based on their position. It has been our problem for a while.