Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Accrington Stanley : Saturday 11th March 2023 : KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    1StevieG said:
    At one point during the first half I was so bored that I was trying to work out if we had enough fans in the east stand to make the word w@nker so it would be visible from space.
    Well….. Did we? 
  • Options
    I actually forgot we were playing.

Are we still in with a chance of the playoffs?
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Midfield was awful, Kilkenny and Payne did absolutely nothing. I thought Clare and CBT were the most dangerous and apart from a freak, albeit great strike we lose as we barely looked like scoring until injury time. Bonne looked awful when he came on, no idea how he got near the Championship. Need a lot of new quality players next season to break this spiral downwards…..no can’t see it happening either.
    Payne .. did you not see the set plays he put across excellent whipped balls in .. and first half he was everywhere … very unlucky to be pulled off . Bonne won more headers in 5 mins then Leaburn yet you say he was awful ? 
  • Options
    We can’t play 442 … the reason is clear to see Raki and CBT don’t defend .. our full backs would be under intense pressure. 

• Options
    edited March 2023
    kafka said:
    Really look forward to seeing the chance to experiment with what is left of this dire season, and feel we need a couple more wins to enable Dean to relax and try a few combinations..
    We drew today with a truly exceptional strike from Sess from fully 30 yards, which was good to see, and must result as goal of the season, but in truth could have ended up in row Z of the South Stand, and another defeat against another team we "should have beaten", but in truth deserved to beat us.
    We are very much our own worst enemy, and far too helpful when it comes to opposition scoring, we were again ball watching and gifted our guests the lead on a plate..so we drew, and at last we scored a goal, for the first time in FIVE games, and we go again on to Tuesday, at Morecambe...who are fighting for their lives, oh yes just like us...🙄
    I don’t really get this. We are so bad; can’t defend or score so why not experiment now. Kanu and Campbell were far from the worst players out there. Payne is L2, Clare not a defender, Kilkenny; nothing. 
    We are still mathematically capable of relegation, Dean needs another 5/6 points hopefully sooner rather than later to enable him to be in a position to relax and start seeing what he has, and what he doesn't need going forward, which is when any experimenting come in.
    And now thanks to his new contract he can actually start planning for next season, because as we all know a monumental clear out and rebuild is needed...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Give him a chance. We need to get a manager and stick with him for a change.
    Yeah, he has inherited this team. Let's judge next season. 
  • Options
    This is the result of having a squad of players that didn't drink milk as kids.

I wasn't going today, as my son (who I go with) is poorly and I really couldn't be arsed to go on my own, knowing what turd pie was awaiting me. Instead, my brother took up the offer of a free ticket, so off we went. Left the ground on 80 mins to be the traffic and had no regret in doing so. In the past I would never leave early with the possibility of missing a winning goal, but now I really couldn't give a toss. Like others, if Tommy is still calling the shots in the summer, we won't be renewing our ST's.
  • Options
    We can’t play 442 … the reason is clear to see Raki and CBT don’t defend .. our full backs would be under intense pressure. 

I wouldn't play 2 out and out wingers - it doesn't work in 433 either, the centre forward has no support and becomes isolated as happened today

• Options
    i sit in the stands watching - a very simple question, who in that team looks and plays like they know what the team plan is?
  • Options
    lucky not to lose 1-4.  We are 16th in the 3rd division.  AMB and Ness can hold their heads up this season.  We should aim for 2 more wins and give our young guys a run.  The loanees ain’t gonna be here next year.  I also hear we signed Bonne in January, any idea when he’s turning up?
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Give him a chance. We need to get a manager and stick with him for a change.
    Yeah, he has inherited this team. Let's judge next season. 
    He was brought in to improve our performance style & of play to get us playing better but I haven't seen any improvement at all
     feels like same old same old that we have suffered over the last few seasons
    I am all for giving time but we should be playing better football then we are & his got to be responsible for this
  • Options
    Pile of shit 
    That's it 
  • Options
    sm said:

I wouldn't play 2 out and out wingers - it doesn't work in 433 either, the centre forward has no support and becomes isolated as happened today

Do a Curbs. Play one winger, go narrow on the other side and keep two forwards up front. 

....and get better centre-mids.

.....and get them all to work harder.

......and get a better pitch. Modern players can't cope with anything sub-billiard table. 
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Midfield was awful, Kilkenny and Payne did absolutely nothing. I thought Clare and CBT were the most dangerous and apart from a freak, albeit great strike we lose as we barely looked like scoring until injury time. Bonne looked awful when he came on, no idea how he got near the Championship. Need a lot of new quality players next season to break this spiral downwards…..no can’t see it happening either.
    A bit unfair on Bonne who only came on late, and actually linked up play reasonably well. We were caught offside a ridiculous number of times today, but that was the other attackers, not Bonne. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leaburn is a work in progress and has great potential but he had a poor game. He won hardly any battles.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Agree with people saying that the pitch is sub standard , but I think you will find both teams are playing on the same surface, and they don't seem to be having a problem...not a great surface, but our lot just ain't good enough, and seem lost at times, as if they have no pre match plan, or how to adapt mid match...I mean, do they actually do their homework on the opposition...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I thought both teams had a problem with the pitch but Accrington played to it better than us. It wasn't a great advert for either team though and I do concede they were better than us overall.
  • Options
    A scrappy game that was good in parts, pish poor in many more.  Too much of our play was hoofing it over the top and when we weren't doing that we were engaging in little bouts of head tennis that suited to our opponents, archetypal northerners Graplington Stanley, down to the ground. We got a goal. Yeah great. And it was a good 'un at that, but it speaks volumes that our second best chance was from one of the north's finest head tennis aficionados nutting it against his own woodwork.  At times Clare and Sessegnon looked a cut above anyone else on the pitch, unfortunately though both seemed locked in a personal competition to give the ball away in the most stupid and humiliating manner. And when they did, the rest of the defence demonstrated their usual sloth like lethargy at mopping up the mess. Stanley's Savin demonstrated in the most Cleverlyesque manner that nominative determination is dead, as our makeshift line of forwards (thankfully sans Bonne for most of the match) barely tested him. There were a couple of good attacks at the end with decent low crosses coming in, but none of our short-toed frontmen could get near enough to poke one in. Man of the match was Graplington's Doug Tharme, not for anything particular he did, but for being a constant source of amusement, looking like a schoolboy version of Michael Macintyre playing in an U15s rugby league trial. It's interesting that the day after signing a three year contract manager Holden as started picking up criticism from Lifers. Watch out for this prediction coming true: Holden will be gone before Sandgaard.           
  • Options
    A word for Jack Payne. Have never seen a player so close to being really great, but always somehow narrowly failing to pull things off. He tries ever so hard too. It's very sad really
  • Options
    It's bordering on unwatchable at the moment. The Sessegnon goal was wasted in a game like that. One lame Kanu effort and some balls across the 6 yard box were all we could offer....at home! 

People grizzled like fuck about the Roland teams but I'd take any number of those players over this sorry lot. I'm not just talking about Gudmonsson & Diarra here....Foley and Crofts were just as good as any of these today. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Leuth said:
    A word for Jack Payne. Have never seen a player so close to being really great, but always somehow narrowly failing to pull things off. He tries ever so hard too. It's very sad really
    Yes, I know what you mean. In his case it is a fine line. The problem is it invariably falls the same way of that line.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Leuth said:
    Behave. What's the level of 'really great' in this case, because it must be different to the standard definition.