Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Accrington Stanley : Saturday 11th March 2023 : KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    A word for Jack Payne. Have never seen a player so close to being really great, but always somehow narrowly failing to pull things off. He tries ever so hard too. It's very sad really
    Played some incisive passes early on but got muscled out as the game bedded down into a pile of shit. He's a nice 4th Div footballer. Good attitude, not bad but needs 10 rock-solid players around him. 
  • Options
    Well done Woolwich Pigeon and his flock for their attempts to disrupt Stanley. Get them on a long contract. 
    Pigeons were the best entertainment out there after the one shot from Sessegnon
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Midfield was awful, Kilkenny and Payne did absolutely nothing. I thought Clare and CBT were the most dangerous and apart from a freak, albeit great strike we lose as we barely looked like scoring until injury time. Bonne looked awful when he came on, no idea how he got near the Championship. Need a lot of new quality players next season to break this spiral downwards…..no can’t see it happening either.
    Payne .. did you not see the set plays he put across excellent whipped balls in .. and first half he was everywhere … very unlucky to be pulled off . Bonne won more headers in 5 mins then Leaburn yet you say he was awful ? 
    Yep Payne put in one half decent free kick, let’s make him MOTM! He runs around a lot and does nothing making no impact on the game, he’s playing a league above his ability maybe two. Yep Leaburn was awful today but I give him the benefit of the doubt due to his age and lack of experience. Bonne is supposedly a Championship player these days, been great since he joined hasn’t he? Probably his best game for us today by a mile, he won two headers in the middle of the pitch.
  • Options
    At least we didn't lose. This season will drag on for another couple of months. Bar AMB and Ness I don't think many would be starting for a promotion winning side
  • Options
    Such a shame that we are that bad, we can't just talk about Sess's goal on this thread.
  • Options
    My tuppence worth is that I'd be on the blower to the loanees' teams now, asking if there's any realistic chance of them being here next season, permanent or temporary. If not, then stop playing them unless absolutely necessary (I'd do this with the useless Kilkenny already) and play our own youngsters to see if they're good enough for next season. They can't be much worse overall to be honest
  • Options
    Kilkenny didn't remain our latest Josh Cullen for very long! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    A word for Jack Payne. Have never seen a player so close to being really great, but always somehow narrowly failing to pull things off. He tries ever so hard too. It's very sad really
    Behave. What's the level of 'really great' in this case, because it must be different to the standard definition.
    I mean that he fails to pull it off every time. He's so close to being really great, but it never happens. He's Ben Reeves with less end product. Oh dear
  • Options
    'really great'...think most would say he is close to being 'good' or 'pretty decent'. 
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Midfield was awful, Kilkenny and Payne did absolutely nothing. I thought Clare and CBT were the most dangerous and apart from a freak, albeit great strike we lose as we barely looked like scoring until injury time. Bonne looked awful when he came on, no idea how he got near the Championship. Need a lot of new quality players next season to break this spiral downwards…..no can’t see it happening either.
    Payne .. did you not see the set plays he put across excellent whipped balls in .. and first half he was everywhere … very unlucky to be pulled off . Bonne won more headers in 5 mins then Leaburn yet you say he was awful ? 

Maybe that was his reward for putting his excellent whipped balls in 
  • Options
    Their best defender who seemed to be blocking everything also taking the long throws .. should have been sent in the second half .. again changes the game 
  • Options
    Was anyone else watching the lino on the East side? 

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a lino so animated. Side step runs, squats, limbo back arches, he literally never took his eye off the back line and didn’t watch one second of where the ball was on the pitch.  

Was more fun to watch than the game 
     It's moments like this that made me realise I needed to ditch my season ticket.
  • Options

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a lino so animated. Side step runs, squats, limbo back arches, he literally never took his eye off the back line and didn’t watch one second of where the ball was on the pitch.  

He was so eager to get level with the back line he missed their keeper carrying one out of the area to kick it this afternoon.
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    On his performances of recent I doubt any one will be comming for Leaburn in the summer.
    We did get a few decent crosses into the box and he never seemed ready for them. On too many occasions was not trying to make the run into the box.
    Not having strikers puts pressure on the defending as the opposition now they can push up with little to worry about behind them.
    13 games since a striker scored for us …
    got to be getting close to a club record 
    pathetic the lot of em
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    Behave. What's the level of 'really great' in this case, because it must be different to the standard definition.
    I mean that he fails to pull it off every time. He's so close to being really great, but it never happens. He's Ben Reeves with less end product. Oh dear
    Ok got you. Really great meaning good for League One, not really great as in genuinely really great 😂
  • Options
    First choice forward being a teenager in his first season, yet started the season as third choice. 

If only Bonne wasn't so crap, I can perhaps understand Holden protecting Leaburn. Opposition teams begin to set plans once you are a known quantity. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the first time ever that I just couldn’t be arsed to go today. Sick of wasting my Saturday on this crap 
  • Options
    For once a crossbar challenge from someone who had kicked a football before , fair play 
  • Options
    Maybe the first time ever that I just couldn’t be arsed to go today. Sick of wasting my Saturday on this crap 
    Yep. Me too and other mates too. Complete indifference.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Give him a chance. We need to get a manager and stick with him for a change.
    Yeah, he has inherited this team. Let's judge next season. 
    As has been said ad infinitum. 

I remember the exact same thing under Adkins. He had the luxury of only losing 1 of his last 10 matches at the end of the season. Please remind me how that summer "rebuild" went. 

When we actually sign a striker (prefer 2) who know where the back of the net is I might get faintly interested. Until then I'll just keep reminding all & sundry how crap our front 2/3/4 are. 

A few players we could have gone for last summer that scoree today & have got more this season than our 4 combined.....

Alfie May
    Nombe
    Bishop 

None are playing for "big" clubs on "big" wages. 

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    My tuppence worth is that I'd be on the blower to the loanees' teams now, asking if there's any realistic chance of them being here next season, permanent or temporary. If not, then stop playing them unless absolutely necessary (I'd do this with the useless Kilkenny already) and play our own youngsters to see if they're good enough for next season. They can't be much worse overall to be honest.
    From what I've seen this season our youngsters aren't any better. I wouldn't be putting faith in them doing much towards the end of this season....or next. Henry, Chin & Kanu are probably League 2 quality. Only Ness has stood out for me this season. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    mendonca said:
    He's quickly become the new Matt Smith

Bizarre how a player who looked pretty good in his first game for us, has gone backwards so quickly since then. The applause FOR Morgan when he replaced him said it all.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

He was so eager to get level with the back line he missed their keeper carrying one out of the area to kick it this afternoon.
    I thought their keeper did that a couple of times 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He's quickly become the new Matt Smith

Bizarre how a player who looked pretty good in his first game for us, has gone backwards so quickly since then. The applause FOR Morgan when he replaced him said it all.
    He'd only had 18 appearances at this level when he came to us, but at age 23 you'd have hoped he'd have established himself somewhere.  He was a cost cutting gamble of a signing - and not a particularly good bet at that - so much for henchman Scott's silky words. 
  • Options
    There’s as much chance of Dean Holden being Charlton manager for the next three and a quarter years as there is of Lucas Ness being here that long. Nothing against the bloke but the announcement is about as meaningful as a government statement on stopping the boats.

I didn’t fall for that line either…..