Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Holden being quite cagey there, can understand why and he's obviously not wanting to be drawn on anything but he's not saying no either.

I would think that both are on the list somewhere but presumably there are others that may or may not be prioritised.
  • Sounds quite promising on Francis and Mizouni if we want them. 
  • I see the consensus is we can't buy players that are under contract until the takeover is completed( frustrating but understandable) BUT who decides the wages of Lloyd and Isted or any one else who is out of contract?

Sandgaard won't be paying the wages for long 🤞and there must be some tacit agreement between the two parties while the checks etc carry on 🤔
    We have been told (many times) that an (increased) budget has been agreed by both TS and the new owners. 

• edited July 2023
    So much for Holden not wanting Alfie May then, if he's not denying any talk about him
  • edited July 2023
    The mantra must be to get better players in than leave so that means better than Morgan, Clare and Inniss who were regulars in the team last season that finished 10th.

Morgan did improve last season because cafc couldn't even get him out on loan two years ago because there were no takers, yet Blackpool who have just been relegated from the Championship gave him a two year contract with a year's option.

Which ever way Dean Holden wants to line up and it can't just be one way, let's hope the incomings are better than the players who leave. Can we say play with an edge without going OTT ( Ryan 🤦🏻‍♂️) 

It may be a close run thing because we are in theory a bigger club than for Cambridge (Jones)- Crewe (Kirk) - Lavelle (Morecambe) McGrandles (Lincoln) and the guys who came in from League 2 Swindon last season. I assume Kirk and Lavelle will be moved on if any takers.

The sad truth is we are now a smaller London club stuck in League 1 with a championship stadium and we need some magic dust to get the club and fans out of this cynical Stupor that has engulfed us all.
  • Sponsored links:

• So much for Holden not wanting Alfie May then, if he's not denying any talk about him

As I said FA, why wouldn't you want a striker who has had two cracking seasons and scored 20 goals in 39 league matches for a team who finished in the bottom half of League 1.

One person said Holden doesn't want May and then it's gospel. I prefer to hear from the horses mouth.
    The doubt was whether he would fit our system if we kept playing 4-3-3. It looks like we are switching to 3 at the back so it would be a lot easier to fit May in now 
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    So much for Holden not wanting Alfie May then, if he's not denying any talk about him

As I said FA, why wouldn't you want a striker who has had two cracking seasons and scored 20 goals in 39 league matches for a team who finished in the bottom half of League 1.

One person said Holden doesn't want May and then it's gospel. I prefer to hear from the horses mouth.
    The doubt was whether he would fit our system if we kept playing 4-3-3. It looks like we are switching to 3 at the back so it would be a lot easier to fit May in now 

As I said we can't just play one system as the coaches have all been on the same courses and you really do need to be able to adapt. I loved JJ but the 3-5-2 was predictable when played every week and you don't have the players who can play the wing back role. We may be able to play on occasions 3-5-2 this season if we can bring in certain players. Leaburn and May/AN other in a two would certainly be good for Leaburn.
    Play a 3 when CBT is firing on all cylinders.
    Mix and match must be the option.

Man City only have a Plan A according to Kevin de Bryne ! No surprise when they are so fluid and flexible and it's impossible to work out what formation they are playing other than they appear to have more than 11 on the pitch.
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:

As I said we can't just play one system as the coaches have all been on the same courses and you really do need to be able to adapt. I loved JJ but the 3-5-2 was predictable when played every week and you don't have the players who can play the wing back role.

Man City only have a Plan A according to Kevin de Bryne ! No surprise when they are so fluid and flexible and it's impossible to work out what formation they are playing.
    Most teams play the same formation every game, especially teams that are successful. Managers like Bowyer that regularly mixed it up are quite rare. Could be that we switch from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 but I think it’s unlikely that we will be switching between 3 and 4 at the back regularly as that’s not how you build a settled defence or way of building from the back. Obviously you change during the game if you are defending a lead or chasing a goal but the majority of teams stick to one formation mostly. I’m pretty certain Plymouth and Ipswich played the same formation every game last season 
  • So much for Holden not wanting Alfie May then, if he's not denying any talk about him

If you think you can sign someone younger with potential to improve and sell for a profit.

May is at his peak and will be after the biggest contract of his career. If he doesn’t make the step up there’s no getting that money back and you’re stuck with a player on a big wage for 2/3 years. He might be a player who’s better being a big fish in a small pond.

Not saying I do or don’t want us to sign May, but there’s a lot they need to consider than just his goal record.

If we bring him in and he continues scoring 20+ then he’ll be a great signing even if he’s not one for the longer term.

If not we’re potentially stuck with another player we don’t want alongside Aneke, Kirk, Lavelle and DJ.
  • NabySarr said:

When you sign a player like May you change the system, especially when we have nothing concrete in general 
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

As I said we can't just play one system as the coaches have all been on the same courses and you really do need to be able to adapt. I loved JJ but the 3-5-2 was predictable when played every week and you don't have the players who can play the wing back role.

Man City only have a Plan A according to Kevin de Bryne ! No surprise when they are so fluid and flexible and it's impossible to work out what formation they are playing.
    Most teams play the same formation every game, especially teams that are successful. Managers like Bowyer that regularly mixed it up are quite rare. Could be that we switch from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 but I think it’s unlikely that we will be switching between 3 and 4 at the back regularly as that’s not how you build a settled defence or way of building from the back. Obviously you change during the game if you are defending a lead or chasing a goal but the majority of teams stick to one formation mostly. I’m pretty certain Plymouth and Ipswich played the same formation every game last season 

I really didn't mean Lee Bowyer and his A-Z changes. 

Ipswich and Plymouth were the strongest two teams in the league and they only had to slightly tweek their play.

Just can't see Cafc being in that position come the start of the season so we will need to be more flexible with an A-B plan not A-Z. 
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

I really didn't mean Lee Bowyer and his A-Z changes. 

Ipswich and Plymouth were the strongest two teams in the league and they only had to slightly tweek their play.

Just can't see Cafc being in that position come the start of the season so we will need to be more flexible with an A-B plan not A-Z. 
    Maybe at the start of the season if we sign a lot of players late in the window there might be some changes while Holden works out the best way to set us up. Once he finds it though, there shouldn’t be change unless we go on a winless run. Look at the top 6 of all 4 leagues and you will probably see that most of those teams very rarely changed from their usual set up
  • I think Francis and Thomas are going to be our centreback left backs. Have that one Pep!
  • Sponsored links:

• iaitch said:
    Maybe Thomas in midfield like Stones a la Pep?
    Mitchell would be my guess
    I think he looks more of a midfielder. Talented lad
  • iaitch said:
    I think us playing a back 3 will really help him. I would expect 1 of Deji and Mitchell to go out on loan and the other to deputise Ness on the right of our back 3 
  • even if we sell Lavelle and/or Kirk who is to say that the fee will be spent and not go into TS's retirement fund?
    The new owners? Can TS legally agree a fee, sell assets and pocket the cash?
    no 
  • NabySarr said:
    iaitch said:
    I think us playing a back 3 will really help him. I would expect 1 of Deji and Mitchell to go out on loan and the other to deputise Ness on the right of our back 3 
    I equally wont be surprised if Mitchell appears more for the First Team than we expect this season - Not because of a lack of depth either. I dont expect him to go out on loan till January
  • NabySarr said:
    iaitch said:
    I equally wont be surprised if Mitchell appears more for the First Team than we expect this season - Not because of a lack of depth either. I dont expect him to go out on loan till January
    Good comment.
    I’m not sure where on the pitch Mitchell plays best. He looks decent everywhere he appears.
    Lets nurture the lad, could be a terrific player at 22/23 years of age.
  • Sage said:
    No inside knowledge but fully expecting at least a couple more in with one or two out by the time we go to Spain. Hopefully we can get an attacker/forward through the door as one of them.

Then hopefully, when they’re back from Spain, the takeover will pretty much go through and we can press ahead with the rest of the signings.

I actually would keep Storrie involved until the transfer window is closed. He’s done a lot of work and been speaking to players, it could be a waste if someone new comes in and has to develop a rapport with potential new signings. 
    Agree on Storrie. At the very least Storrie, a proper CEO, is just a bit more credible in post signing interviews than a rhythm guitarist. 
  • NabySarr said:
    iaitch said:
    I don’t see Mitchell going on loan at all. With a back three and three CMs I can see him breaking through this season and getting a decent amount of game time.