Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Davo53 said:
    Losing 80k of my own money would be disastrous as it would be for a lot of other lifers on here. But we’re talking about a group of wealthy investors who wish to invest in our great club.so stupid comments like yours are pretty pointless aren’t they.?
    Quote button is your friend.
  • Davo53 said:
    Losing 80k of my own money would be disastrous as it would be for a lot of other lifers on here. But we’re talking about a group of wealthy investors who wish to invest in our great club.so stupid comments like yours are pretty pointless aren’t they.?
    Not stupid, other peoples money gets thrown around like confetti on here, it's real money, and at the moment it seems it's T.S.'s money.
  • NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
    Sandgaard just needs to stop being such a twonk & pay the f**king fee !  He's getting paid £10m+ more than he paid for the club and its his fault we are looking at starting the season with just 1 fit striker.
  • NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
    Sandgaard just needs to stop being such a twonk & pay the f**king fee !  He's getting paid £10m+ more than he paid for the club and its his fault we are looking at starting the season with just 1 fit striker.
    Could it possibly be that Holden doesn't actually want Alfie May?
    After all it seems it's only the football experts on Charlton Life who seem to think we're doomed if we don't sign him.
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Who said that is going to happen?

Maybe May is our number 1 target, but there is competition for his signature, and if we don't get him we will move to the next on our list and adjust the budget accordingly around that.

Not that we have had a cohesive transfer plan in the past couple of years, but it never fails to surprise me how simple people seem to think the transfer market, budgets and it's constant moving parts are.

• Josh Key having a medical at Swansea
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

Maybe May is our number 1 target, but there is competition for his signature, and if we don't get him we will move to the next on our list and adjust the budget accordingly around that.

Not that we have had a cohesive transfer plan in the past couple of years, but it never fails to surprise me how simple people seem to think the transfer market, budgets and it's constant moving parts are.

And the number of people that go we need a striker, he is a striker, therefore he is the answer.  Without a second thought of how we are going to use them to replicate the form that caught their eye in the first place.

Funny enough they would be the ones that moan if we signed him and he scored 5 goals all season stuck out wide.
    Absolutely. I should have put adjust the budget and other targets around that.

Maybe May is our number 1 target, and we also have other targets in mind to compliment his skill set if we get him. If not, maybe we move to Ladapo, and then bring in players around him with complete different strengths.

To be honest I don't think we have been that 'forward thinking' in the previous few window preferring instead to rely on a black box and wank sock. However with Holden seemingly in the driving seat this time around, I am sure he knows the exact sort of players he wants in and will adapt accordingly if needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

And the number of people that go we need a striker, he is a striker, therefore he is the answer.  Without a second thought of how we are going to use them to replicate the form that caught their eye in the first place.

Funny enough they would be the ones that moan if we signed him and he scored 5 goals all season stuck out wide.
    It would be a pretty stupid manager to buy a striker then stick him out wide. You bring in a winger for that job.

And that's the point - we need to replace JRS as well as bringing in a top striker. Don't be fooled into thinking 1 player can do both jobs. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

It would be a pretty stupid manager to buy a striker then stick him out wide. You bring in a winger for that job.

And that's the point - we need to replace JRS as well as bringing in a top striker. Don't be fooled into thinking 1 player can do both jobs. 
    Exactly my point.  Round pegs round holes.

You also don't put all your eggs in the basket of a player that has only ever scored goals in a two when your going to play a 3.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

Absolutely. I should have put adjust the budget and other targets around that.

Maybe May is our number 1 target, and we also have other targets in mind to compliment his skill set if we get him. If not, maybe we move to Ladapo, and then bring in players around him with complete different strengths.

To be honest I don't think we have been that 'forward thinking' in the previous few window preferring instead to rely on a black box and wank sock. However with Holden seemingly in the driving seat this time around, I am sure he knows the exact sort of players he wants in and will adapt accordingly if needed.
    There has been absolutely zero foward thinking in the last 3 seasons.  Adkins even said it, without saying it.  You need to look at the attributes of the team as a whole.
  • Josh Key having a medical at Swansea
    Exeter are like many "over achieving" smaller sides, losing a few players
  • shine166 said:
    Josh Key having a medical at Swansea
    I've heard he can unlock most defences.
    That's his brother Alan 
    I thought Alan was useful for building a squad?
  • shine166 said:
    That's his brother Alan 
    Gillingham are in for his cousin, Pie.
    That deal might take a while, he's in a skip looking for scrap 
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    That's his brother Alan 
    I thought Alan was useful for building a squad?
    Great in the Swedish formation 
  • In more general terms, regardless of system or type of forward Holden wants, we definitely need two of them.  I think Leaburn is going to go on and have a great career and is definitely going to have the front 2 or 3 built around him this season, but we cannot over rely on him at such a young age, and Aneke (God help us), is our only other recognised forward.  As potentially good as Kanu is, he’s an unknown, young player.  

In addition, if we go 4-3-3, that leaves CBT, DJ, Kirk and Campbell currently, filling the wide roles.  Kirk has been loaned out twice in two seasons, DJ once.  CBT is nowhere near consistently good enough otherwise he wouldn’t be here, and Campbell is just a young prospect.  This is a big area for Holden to get right, regardless of formation 
  • Tbh I don't care if we sign Alfie May or not. What I care about is will we be signing a striker who has virtually a 1 in 2 record in this league over the past 2 seasons. Now, AM might be a flash in the pan & might not replicate the last 2 years form. But all signings are a bit of a gamble & I doubt if there are many strikers who have his record, in this league, that you can get for under £500k. 

Said it about Bishop last season and Stockton the season before. 

Just dont want this to be the 3rd season in a row that we fail to sign a striker that could get 20+ goals. 
    Actually agree with you there .
  • If the rumours about May deciding his future tomorrow are true we don’t have long to wait now. 
  • edited July 2023
    shine166 said:
    That's his brother Alan 
    Sorry, but you can't unlock anything with an Allen key...failed at the first turn with that one...😉😂
  • Tbh I don't care if we sign Alfie May or not. What I care about is will we be signing a striker who has virtually a 1 in 2 record in this league over the past 2 seasons. Now, AM might be a flash in the pan & might not replicate the last 2 years form. But all signings are a bit of a gamble & I doubt if there are many strikers who have his record, in this league, that you can get for under £500k. 

Just dont want this to be the 3rd season in a row that we fail to sign a striker that could get 20+ goals. 
    We have Leaburn, he needs better support than we had last season from Stockley and Bonne, so we do need to bring in 2 strikers. But we already have a striker that will score 20+ if he stays fit. He got 12 last season and started the season as a right winger who didn’t start many games. His goals per 90 was amongst the best in the league

Unless we are switching to 2 up front I’d much rather a big outlay be on a quality left back/wing back or a central midfielder or a winger which are bigger holes in our starting 11 at the moment. 

20+ goal a season strikers definitely help if you can get one, but did Plymouth have one last season? Did Sheffield Wednesday? You don’t need one to get promoted.

We had Lyle Taylor in 2018/19, but just think what would have happened if he had got injured? You’d rather have a team that isn’t reliant on one or two players to score goals. Obsessing and being reliant on a 20 goal striker isn’t a silver bullet. We’re lucky that we have Leaburn who I think could score 20+ next season, but I’d rather focus on upgrading the rest of the team than spending a big chunk of our budget on another 
  • NabySarr said:
    Tbh I don't care if we sign Alfie May or not. What I care about is will we be signing a striker who has virtually a 1 in 2 record in this league over the past 2 seasons. Now, AM might be a flash in the pan & might not replicate the last 2 years form. But all signings are a bit of a gamble & I doubt if there are many strikers who have his record, in this league, that you can get for under £500k. 

20+ goal a season strikers definitely help if you can get one, but did Plymouth have one last season? Did Sheffield Wednesday? You don’t need one to get promoted.

We had Lyle Taylor in 2018/19, but just think what would have happened if he had got injured? You’d rather have a team that isn’t reliant on one or two players to score goals. Obsessing and being reliant on a 20 goal striker isn’t a silver bullet. We’re lucky that we have Leaburn who I think could score 20+ next season, but I’d rather focus on upgrading the rest of the team than spending a big chunk of our budget on another 
    Out of Charlton’s last 6 promotions only the 1985/1986 season where no one scored more than 15 league goals (John Pearson 14)

• edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Tbh I don't care if we sign Alfie May or not. What I care about is will we be signing a striker who has virtually a 1 in 2 record in this league over the past 2 seasons. Now, AM might be a flash in the pan & might not replicate the last 2 years form. But all signings are a bit of a gamble & I doubt if there are many strikers who have his record, in this league, that you can get for under £500k. 

Taylor, and BWP, had never scored 20 goals in a season before either.