Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Almost as if it’s ridiculous to suggest that Holden doesn’t want to sign May
  • shirty5 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Are we still pinning all our hopes and dreams for the next season on an old boy from the mighty Cheltenham Town…?
    Just checking how far we’ve fallen….
    A lad we bought from the mighty Grimsby Town did ok for us and he was at the time only 4 months off being 29.

Age is just a number 
    Agree but age really isn’t just a number. 
  • Maybe Holden has a dilemma. Somebody like May alongside Miles...ideal. But knowing Miles picks up an injury, just having May means changing your entire style of play. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    The comment "Holden doesn't want May" is bollox.
    Seen at the training ground.
    Offer accepted.
    Others interested.

Charlton "in the knows" being told we're not interested is in case we don't get him and lose out to Gillingham.

Let's see what happens this week......
    Not bollocks - depends who is pushing the May stuff out (agent smith) or has Holden other target gone now.

Put it this way, from what I was told, Holden wasn’t overly keen, he did meet him as the opportunity was put in front of him, he likes him after the meeting, but still preferred other targets.

It depends what he wants to do with him, or any striker we sign, doesn't it?

May isn't an alternative like for like for Leaburn.  Signing him to be would be foolish.  Signing him "because" and then working out how to play to accommodate him would be equally folly.

If the plan is to play a 2 great it makes sense.  If the plan is to play a 3 and have May as an option to play a two If you want, brilliant but I don't think we would have that luxury.

If the plan is to play 2 we would need another two strikers on top of May as well as a goal scoring "10" that we currently don't have.

I can absolutely see the argument for not making him a top priority or even not signing him if we could.

It does slightly concern me that only Gillingham, despite paying well, and Bristol Rovers seem to have shown their hand.  Saying that Ipswich and Wednesday have gone, Peterborough wouldn't sign him, so I am not sure who else would "normally" be in for him. 
  • edited July 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Are we still pinning all our hopes and dreams for the next season on an old boy from the mighty Cheltenham Town…?
    Just checking how far we’ve fallen….
    A lad we bought from the mighty Grimsby Town did ok for us and he was at the time only 4 months off being 29.

Age is just a number 
    Good point. Is May in the Mendonca mould?
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe, just maybe...

May wants to come to Charlton 

Holden wants May to come to Charlton 

Sandgaard is willing to pay the required fee to get May to Charlton 

The new owners don't want any money spent on fees, at least until they takeover or maybe not at all
    Can imagine Sandgaard having a condition that he gets a % of sell on or "Clear Ocean Capital" do. 

Why haven't they submitted accounts?
  • thenewbie said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    The comment "Holden doesn't want May" is bollox.
    Seen at the training ground.
    Offer accepted.
    Others interested.

Charlton "in the knows" being told we're not interested is in case we don't get him and lose out to Gillingham.

Let's see what happens this week......
    Not bollocks - depends who is pushing the May stuff out (agent smith) or has Holden other target gone now.

Put it this way, from what I was told, Holden wasn’t overly keen, he did meet him as the opportunity was put in front of him, he likes him after the meeting, but still preferred other targets.

Based on the RC tweet I would guess that May wasn't a top choice originally but either due to Leaburn injury or other circumstances he's now become a higher priority.

DH may not have been keen but changed his mind.
    Maybe you are correct
  • May, Ladapo,leaburn and maybe someone like Piggot as a back up
  • mendonca said:
    Maybe Holden has a dilemma. Somebody like May alongside Miles...ideal. But knowing Miles picks up an injury, just having May means changing your entire style of play. 
    The other consideration is who/how many do you have to then get out?

As well as the ones that were shipped out in January there are others that have big question marks over them if we play 352 or 442 with a diamond or lopsided like Powell did.  

Do we value flexibility over having two players for each position?

There is so much more to it than x is good so sign him.
  • I don't want to go into this season  with Leaburn as our main striking option. He done well last year but I'm not completely sold to be honest. 

We also need to replace JRS goals. I liked that Bolton player Afolayan but I believe he's moved on
  • edited July 2023
    Every time I've seen Piggot play I've never been impressed and always thought his level was L2. He obviously had a decent goal return for Wimbledon but I have never thought I'd like us to sign him. However, could be decent as a backup on a free but I imagine he'll want to be first choice somewhere and I wouldn't want that here.

For me, I'd go for Sam Smith over the most realistic strikers we could get, including May. Good age and surely being at Cambridge is well within our price range.
  • Sponsored links:

• agim said:
    I don't want to go into this season  with Leaburn as our main striking option. He done well last year but I'm not completely sold to be honest. 

We also need to replace JRS goals. I liked that Bolton player Afolayan but I believe he's moved on

Afolayan is now in Germany with St Pauli but definitely a player of that ilk would be a fantastic addition. 
  • Pigott would be an awful signing, even if he was 5th choice!!

he has scored 6 goals in his last two seasons at league 1 level. The hated mr Bonne has score 14 league goals in the same time. 

Is Bonne good enough to be back up?
    Bonne might have scored more goals but he most definitely falls into the dickhead category. 

Wouldnt have him anywhere this club again on the playing side.  
  • I get the whole "can't play X up top on their own" bla bla bla nonsense, but you absolutely can, assuming you have an idea of how to play X up top.on their own. We can have Leaburn, May and Ladapo as 3 the  main forwards and get the best out of all them.

Luckily, for us, we don't have a clear way of playing nor much of a first team to worry about "changing styles"!

• Would be criminal if they screwed up the striker signings this summer, last the last two years. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Maybe, just maybe...

May wants to come to Charlton 

Holden wants May to come to Charlton 

Sandgaard is willing to pay the required fee to get May to Charlton 

The new owners don't want any money spent on fees, at least until they takeover or maybe not at all
    Can imagine Sandgaard having a condition that he gets a % of sell on or "Clear Ocean Capital" do. 

Why haven't they submitted accounts?
    You might need to go to high heaven to find out the answer to that.
  • edited July 2023

There really is a MELTDOWN happening here, we are a month away from the first game, anyone would think it is next week, just chill, have a 🍻🍻 or two,...all will be good, trust me, I know fu*k all, and that's enough for me...🙄