Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• 995632 said:
    995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
    Sandgaard just needs to stop being such a twonk & pay the f**king fee !  He's getting paid £10m+ more than he paid for the club and its his fault we are looking at starting the season with just 1 fit striker.
    "Looking at starting the season with just 1 for striker"... Bit much that... Do you not think we're looking at other strikers?

AM may be 'less than 500k' but he wouldn't come and play for free. Wages and contract would be in the region of £1.3m, we are already lumbered with a huge multiyear contract for "a proven goalscorer/cheat code" and once he's Charltonised properly he'll be either injured or forgot where the goal is.

If he goes to Gillingham, then the sky will not fall in!! 
    Any decent striker will cost at least the same so best we dont sign one I suppose. Can manage with 1 and the permanently crocked cheat code.
    I'm not saying we don't get another striker, we need someone younger/hungrier who has some sell on value. AM is looking for his last big contract and the hunger might not be there. Even Snake Taylor was younger and has sell on value, and look what happened to him and his nice fat contact at "big school"?

May allegedly wants between 5-7k a week so that is a full package of £1.3m for a 30 year-old. Similar amount minimum for Clarke-Harris, that's the going rate for a decent striker, but if we are spending that kind of money it would be much better spent on a younger model like Same Nombe for example. He's only 26 and hasn't reached his peak yet, so there's at least three or four good years still to come from him, and possible sell on. 
    The issue there is that of course we want the younger striker who's still improving and will turn into a massive goal scoring asset, but knowing our record we'll buy the young striker who simply isn't as good as the established ones and never will be.

After all, the whole point of buying the likes of DJ, Kirk and Lavelle was to buy talented young players who would improve with us, and it hasn't happened.
  • edited July 2023
    995632 said:
    995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
    Sandgaard just needs to stop being such a twonk & pay the f**king fee !  He's getting paid £10m+ more than he paid for the club and its his fault we are looking at starting the season with just 1 fit striker.
    "Looking at starting the season with just 1 for striker"... Bit much that... Do you not think we're looking at other strikers?

AM may be 'less than 500k' but he wouldn't come and play for free. Wages and contract would be in the region of £1.3m, we are already lumbered with a huge multiyear contract for "a proven goalscorer/cheat code" and once he's Charltonised properly he'll be either injured or forgot where the goal is.

Any decent striker will cost at least the same so best we dont sign one I suppose. Can manage with 1 and the permanently crocked cheat code.
    I'm not saying we don't get another striker, we need someone younger/hungrier who has some sell on value. AM is looking for his last big contract and the hunger might not be there. Even Snake Taylor was younger and has sell on value, and look what happened to him and his nice fat contact at "big school"?

May allegedly wants between 5-7k a week so that is a full package of £1.3m for a 30 year-old. Similar amount minimum for Clarke-Harris, that's the going rate for a decent striker, but if we are spending that kind of money it would be much better spent on a younger model like Same Nombe for example. He's only 26 and hasn't reached his peak yet, so there's at least three or four good years still to come from him, and possible sell on. 
    I’d sign Sam Smith personally. I understand about May, his age etc, looking for a last payday etc, but whoever we sign it’s not guaranteed they’d score goals, knowing us they’d dry up completely, and he’s at least done it in our league for the last two seasons and in not a very good team to boot. The aim however is to get out of this league, the longer we stay in it the more whoever the owner is loses, so IF Holden wants May then go get him.
  • Josh Key having a medical at Swansea
    I've heard he can unlock most defences.
    Yeah but he needs to be part of a good combination. 
  • 995632 said:
    thenewbie said:
    The 20 goals a season striker is basically a modern myth. Yes they do exist but they don't guarantee you anything in terms of promotion - last season out of 3 promoted sides only one had a striker who got over 20.

Having two or three players who get in the 12-15 goals  range is statistically much more likely to be successful.
    It was said a few years ago that we bought Nicky Ajose and Lee Novak as they 'brought in' 40+ goals into the team. It didn't happen like that as we all know! 

May may not score 20 goals for us as his current side are built around him to get the best out of him, Holden apparently favours 3-5-2 so how would May operate in that formation? What about in the 4-3-3 like last season? Can he perform as a lone striker with wingers either side of him? 
    May plays in a 3-5-2 at the moment. That system would be perfect for him and I think him and Leaburn would work well together. I don’t really see him as a lone striker so that’s why Holden might not be keen on him if that’s our plan 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Who said that is going to happen?

Maybe May is our number 1 target, but there is competition for his signature, and if we don't get him we will move to the next on our list and adjust the budget accordingly around that.

Not that we have had a cohesive transfer plan in the past couple of years, but it never fails to surprise me how simple people seem to think the transfer market, budgets and it's constant moving parts are.

And the number of people that go we need a striker, he is a striker, therefore he is the answer.  Without a second thought of how we are going to use them to replicate the form that caught their eye in the first place.

Funny enough they would be the ones that moan if we signed him and he scored 5 goals all season stuck out wide.

IF we sign Alfie May he wouldn't be stuck on the wing even if we play a 3 up front.
    I want my man Kanu to strike up a good link up with Leaburn in the coming season but we desperately need another forward capable of the Taylor or Grant movement across the frontline. May be one season too early for Patrick Casey ? So looking forward to the striker joining sooner rather than later.

We all know how poor we were when Stockley was isolated in the middle when Washington ran the left Channel, DJ was mainly out wide on the right and the midfield couldn't get close to the lonely Jayden.
    DJ was instructed to get in the box( when the ball was on the left flank) but it wasn't natural for him and he looked awkward.
    Washington improved after the manager change as he came in closer to Stockley who picked up in a partnership with Conor.

• Big Bob Peeters made Charlton hard to beat until November( The last team in the division to lose) one season by telling the best attacking full back in Wiggins to not charge forward unless we were a few goals up. I was amazed when Rhoys Wiggins revealed that out loud. 
    Eventually we started to lose and draw.

Peeters was rigid in his formations. Lee Bowyer was an A-Z tinker man, Nigel Adkins loved the 3 up front with them far apart. JJ preferred 3-5-2 with one full back and one winger in the wing back positions.

Ben Garner loved a closing down, and keeping possession even if you don't get anywhere fast. He just couldn't get the players in to fit this approach.

Will Holden sacrifice any attacking options to tighten up the defence or will the new players just be better as a collective in defending. 
    I like Dean Holden but I'm still not clear what is his preferred way of playing is ?
    Should be clear soon when we see who comes into the club.
  • 995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

If we made a bid then it may be the case … but May would love to join us , but may have to accept Gills offer or stay at Cheltenham 
  • I would keep both Laville  and Kirk think they still have a lot to offer .. 
    That is your best wum ever, a world class effort.
  • Any word yet on how bad Leaburn's injury is?

If he's out for any serious length of time it might push us to get a deal done for May.
  • Any word yet on how bad Leaburn's injury is?

If he's out for any serious length of time it might push us to get a deal done for May.

Even by Charlton standards, if your main Central striker get injured in the first 45 minutes of the first 'friendly' that isn't a great omen for a season when we desperately need to improve and be contenders. 

Hopefully just a precaution but after Taylor's injury on international duty in the Caribbean on a poor pitch and a cafc detective took pictures of him on crutches, fan/critics always fear the worse when seeing the hobble by players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Well todays the day apparently, if you believe those in the know.

It MAY happen, it MAY not happen.

Personally think nothing will happen, and we can all get back to enjoying Wimbledon (the tennis, not the football club).
  • Bristol rovers are now in for May apparently. Gillingham have had their bid rejected according to Cheltenham’s Cawley. I can’t see him coming to us whilst we are going through the takeover. 
  • RedRobin said:
    Bristol rovers are now in for May apparently. Gillingham have had their bid rejected according to Cheltenham’s Cawley. I can’t see him coming to us whilst we are going through the takeover. 
    https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-enter-race-sign-8572092

Gillingham are understood to have had an offer in the region of £200,000 rebuffed.

Their boss Neil Harris was asked about their interest in Kent-born May on Monday and described it as a "long shot".

Charlton boss Dean Holden refused to comment on his club's position, although they are understood to have made a significant offer, subject to the completion of a takeover at The Valley.
  • edited July 2023
    cfgs said:
    Well todays the day apparently, if you believe those in the know.

It MAY happen, it MAY not happen.

Personally think nothing will happen, and we can all get back to enjoying Wimbledon (the tennis, not the football club).
    But I hate tennis.
    Yeah, certain similarities to us though..can’t ever get the ball in the net, keeps going over…🤔
  • edited July 2023
    995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

If we made a bid then it may be the case … but May would love to join us , but may have to accept Gills offer or stay at Cheltenham 
    Oh Ronnie you’re a poet and didn’t know it. How can I believe you anymore when you was adamant we hadn’t made a bid, you charming prince of the Plymouth Herald you 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine if people just waited to see what happens before getting themselves in such a state...
    Where’s the fun in that ‘Life’ would be so boring 😉.
  • thenewbie said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    The comment "Holden doesn't want May" is bollox.
    Seen at the training ground.
    Offer accepted.
    Others interested.

Charlton "in the knows" being told we're not interested is in case we don't get him and lose out to Gillingham.

Let's see what happens this week......
    Not bollocks - depends who is pushing the May stuff out (agent smith) or has Holden other target gone now.

Put it this way, from what I was told, Holden wasn’t overly keen, he did meet him as the opportunity was put in front of him, he likes him after the meeting, but still preferred other targets.

Based on the RC tweet I would guess that May wasn't a top choice originally but either due to Leaburn injury or other circumstances he's now become a higher priority.

DH may not have been keen but changed his mind.

This is what I'm thinking too , could be that DH thought Aneke was going to be available too and now he's got no senior strikers as it stands so has gone back for May 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Offer accepted.
    Others interested.

Charlton "in the knows" being told we're not interested is in case we don't get him and lose out to Gillingham.

Not bollocks - depends who is pushing the May stuff out (agent smith) or has Holden other target gone now.

Put it this way, from what I was told, Holden wasn’t overly keen, he did meet him as the opportunity was put in front of him, he likes him after the meeting, but still preferred other targets.

From what you were told.   That's my point entirely.   As  @ValleyGary has said - let's just see what happens.   I think @Henry Irving's posts are usually quite telling.......
  • supaclive said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    Offer accepted.
    Others interested.

From what you were told.   That's my point entirely.   As  @ValleyGary has said - let's just see what happens.   I think @Henry Irving's posts are usually quite telling.......
    My thoughts exactly but the only thing that makes me think it might be a little wide of the mark this time is that Holden “is their man” so what’s the point of him not having the say so on incomings regardless of a fee, if it’s within the agreed budget. I guess it also hinges on whether or not you believe that Charlton have made a bid. That doesn’t fit either. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
  • Imagine if people just waited to see what happens before getting themselves in such a state...
    What sort of summer rumour thread do you think this is? It wouldn’t be the same without the rants, meltdowns and predictions of doom based on a single tweet or post.
  • Are we still pinning all our hopes and dreams for the next season on an old boy from the mighty Cheltenham Town…?
    Just checking how far we’ve fallen….