Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Tbh I don't care if we sign Alfie May or not. What I care about is will we be signing a striker who has virtually a 1 in 2 record in this league over the past 2 seasons. Now, AM might be a flash in the pan & might not replicate the last 2 years form. But all signings are a bit of a gamble & I doubt if there are many strikers who have his record, in this league, that you can get for under £500k. 

Said it about Bishop last season and Stockton the season before. 

Just dont want this to be the 3rd season in a row that we fail to sign a striker that could get 20+ goals. 
    The issue is, where is this magical striker that can guarantee 20 goals a season do they exist, in our price range? If there is such a person, then they'll have and come with a hefty price tag, along with, no doubt high wage demands.
  • edited July 2023
    May is one of 3 players that have scored 20, or more, league 1 goals in a season twice in the last 15 years.

We nearly signed one of the others last summer and there was a total meltdown.

"Proven" league 1 goal scorers are like rocking horseshit or hens teeth.

When Charlie Wyke scored 31 a couple of years ago be two seasons before he scored 5 and 6.
  • edited July 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    May is one of 3 players that have scored 20, or more, league 1 goals in a season twice in the last 15 years.

When Charlie Wyke scored 31 a couple of years ago be two seasons before he scored 5 and 6.
    Good scouting could find a Striker who maybe didn't score many in a season, equally didn't get the service from his team, so was never going to get 20-goals etc. but plays in a way that suits the scouting club

I've often felt that Jack Marriott is a potential example of that, back when he was with Luton he scored 14-goals in his first League Two season... 8-goals in his second.

He then signed for Peterborough in League One and scored 27-goals

Although playing devils advocate against my own argument - You could equally claim that was his Cole Stockton season - Seeing he went to the Championship, and has never succeeded in scoring more than nine goals in a season since :D

However how many fans on here, would be impressed or happy with us signing a Striker from League Two, who'd scored eight times the previous year?
  • Davo53 said:
    Losing 80k of my own money would be disastrous as it would be for a lot of other lifers on here. But we’re talking about a group of wealthy investors who wish to invest in our great club.so stupid comments like yours are pretty pointless aren’t they.?
    Not me i dont get out of bed for less than that.
  • Blucher said:
    Presumably the club will be keen to get a few more recruits in before we fly out to Malaga in a week or so’s time in order to bed them into the squad. Leaving aside the departure of fringe players, we’ve lost five regulars from last season - the two good loanees, JRS and Sessegnon, plus Inniss Morgan and Clare, all of whom played in the vast majority of games. To compound matters, we all know the squad was very thin last year.

As matters currently stand, we’ve signed one starter, Lloyd Jones, plus a reserve goalie to replace the one we sold to Hibs. Given Manny’s Egbo’s injury record, I think we need two or three full backs, someone who can create and get the foot in in midfield, a right winger and two front players. 

I appreciate that any Premiership loanees will come in August and there is unlikely to be a cash signing before the takeover. However, not getting at least a couple of players in before we fly out would be a missed opportunity.
    It’s Monday and they fly out on Sunday. I think we’ll have a player in before then. We were told several were close.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Who was the player? My mind has gone blank.
  • NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
    Sandgaard just needs to stop being such a twonk & pay the f**king fee !  He's getting paid £10m+ more than he paid for the club and its his fault we are looking at starting the season with just 1 fit striker.
    "Looking at starting the season with just 1 for striker"... Bit much that... Do you not think we're looking at other strikers?

AM may be 'less than 500k' but he wouldn't come and play for free. Wages and contract would be in the region of £1.3m, we are already lumbered with a huge multiyear contract for "a proven goalscorer/cheat code" and once he's Charltonised properly he'll be either injured or forgot where the goal is.

If he goes to Gillingham, then the sky will not fall in!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• 995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
    Sandgaard just needs to stop being such a twonk & pay the f**king fee !  He's getting paid £10m+ more than he paid for the club and its his fault we are looking at starting the season with just 1 fit striker.
    "Looking at starting the season with just 1 for striker"... Bit much that... Do you not think we're looking at other strikers?

AM may be 'less than 500k' but he wouldn't come and play for free. Wages and contract would be in the region of £1.3m, we are already lumbered with a huge multiyear contract for "a proven goalscorer/cheat code" and once he's Charltonised properly he'll be either injured or forgot where the goal is.

It will on here.
    Rightly so.
  • 995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

Any decent striker will cost at least the same so best we dont sign one I suppose. Can manage with 1 and the permanently crocked cheat code.
  • The cost of staying in this League is about £6m per season (loss). I would have though £500k a pretty decent cost. 

But dont worry, I'm sure Gallen will dig up another Josh Parker for nothing. 
  • It’s a shame that Charlton  already have a 20 goal a season striker in Aneka. Sadly he never looks like getting anywhere near enough games in a season to get near to that figure.
  • UEAAddick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Who was the player? My mind has gone blank.
    Marquis.
  • It’s a shame that Charlton  already have a 20 goal a season striker in Aneka. Sadly he never looks like getting anywhere near enough games in a season to get near to that figure.
    An a instead of an e and what a different player we could have had
  • edited July 2023
    It’s a shame that Charlton  already have a 20 goal a season striker in Aneka. Sadly he never looks like getting anywhere near enough games in a season to get near to that figure.
    So, we don't have a 20 goal a season striker currently do we...now, IF we can keep Leaburn fit for next season, then we could have,  I feel that is realistic...but we def need someone to support him...
  • The 20 goals a season striker is basically a modern myth. Yes they do exist but they don't guarantee you anything in terms of promotion - last season out of 3 promoted sides only one had a striker who got over 20.

Having two or three players who get in the 12-15 goals  range is statistically much more likely to be successful.
  • The team that finished the season with Campbell, Leaburn and Ness emerging and supplemented by the excellent Hector and improved Thomas was half decent and better than the start of the season. 
    Since we are starting with those players this season, there is more cause for optimism. 
    Obviously JRS is a big loss and has to be replaced as Millar was the season before that but hopefully we will find a loan or perm solution 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

Good scouting could find a Striker who maybe didn't score many in a season, equally didn't get the service from his team, so was never going to get 20-goals etc. but plays in a way that suits the scouting club

I've often felt that Jack Marriott is a potential example of that, back when he was with Luton he scored 14-goals in his first League Two season... 8-goals in his second.

Although playing devils advocate against my own argument - You could equally claim that was his Cole Stockton season - Seeing he went to the Championship, and has never succeeded in scoring more than nine goals in a season since :D

However how many fans on here, would be impressed or happy with us signing a Striker from League Two, who'd scored eight times the previous year?
    Lyle Taylor the season before he joined us scored 14 for Wimbledon, in a low scoring team who only scored 47 all season! Not surprising that with better teammates and a team creating more chances, he's break the 20 mark in L1 for us.
  • 995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

It will on here.
    Rightly so.
  • thenewbie said:
    The 20 goals a season striker is basically a modern myth. Yes they do exist but they don't guarantee you anything in terms of promotion - last season out of 3 promoted sides only one had a striker who got over 20.

Having two or three players who get in the 12-15 goals  range is statistically much more likely to be successful.
    Its funny because every time WE have a 20 goal a season striker we get promoted.

1998   Mendonca
    2000   Hunt
    2012   BWP
    2019   Taylor

Or is that just a coincidence ?  

1986?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Lyle Taylor the season before he joined us scored 14 for Wimbledon, in a low scoring team who only scored 47 all season! Not surprising that with better teammates and a team creating more chances, he's break the 20 mark in L1 for us.
    Unless you've got a wunderkind on his way to the Prem, strikers at Third Division level are usually only as good as the service given to them.

If you sign a decent striker you have to get the team to play to his strengths and support him.

Put him out on the left wing and expect him to track back covering the full back, well ....... he's not going to score many and then will be written off as 'dogshit'.

• 995632 said:
    NabySarr said:
    ButtleJR said:

Any decent striker will cost at least the same so best we dont sign one I suppose. Can manage with 1 and the permanently crocked cheat code.
    I'm not saying we don't get another striker, we need someone younger/hungrier who has some sell on value. AM is looking for his last big contract and the hunger might not be there. Even Snake Taylor was younger and has sell on value, and look what happened to him and his nice fat contact at "big school"?

May allegedly wants between 5-7k a week so that is a full package of £1.3m for a 30 year-old. Similar amount minimum for Clarke-Harris, that's the going rate for a decent striker, but if we are spending that kind of money it would be much better spent on a younger model like Same Nombe for example. He's only 26 and hasn't reached his peak yet, so there's at least three or four good years still to come from him, and possible sell on. 
  • thenewbie said:
    The 20 goals a season striker is basically a modern myth. Yes they do exist but they don't guarantee you anything in terms of promotion - last season out of 3 promoted sides only one had a striker who got over 20.

It was said a few years ago that we bought Nicky Ajose and Lee Novak as they 'brought in' 40+ goals into the team. It didn't happen like that as we all know! 

May may not score 20 goals for us as his current side are built around him to get the best out of him, Holden apparently favours 3-5-2 so how would May operate in that formation? What about in the 4-3-3 like last season? Can he perform as a lone striker with wingers either side of him?