Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I was told last week by an ardent Gillingham fan at work that we had offered 370k including add ons .and that Gillingham had offered 180k plus add ons totalling 450k,if this is true losing someone of Alfie mays goal scoring ability over 80k is pretty gut wrenching to say the least.

• RedRyan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd fear if Mitchell got a run in the side he'd be gone in January. He's probably already very well known by all the big clubs anyway 
    for me this is why you play him, they’ll know him anyway and game time will add £££. Plus you never know, if he feels part of the team he might want to stick around longer. 
    The important thing is that he is under a decent contract, so that we're never in the situation of "having" to cash in on him before he leaves for peanuts.

We've been terrible at proactively managing contracts, he has 2 years left on his current deal so now is the time to improve and extend it, reflecting his new role around the first team, rather than waiting until he only has one year left. The extra salary cost is nothing when compared to his future worth.

The same applies to Leaburn.

I assume that nothing will happen until the takeover, but I can imagine Storrie would love to be sorting this out now.
    But why would he sign it? 

Let's just make up some numbers but if he is about 1,500 a week now and we offered him say 3k a week that's peanuts compared to what players like Maatsen and Dasilva were earning at Chelsea before they played a league game.

Getting the right contract in front of the right player, at the right time, is almost impossible.  Especially at our level, KAG was a great example the window between does he deserve a new contract, to why would he sign what ever we offer him was 4-6 weeks. 

Am I dense? Why wouldn't he sign it, doubling his wage while he's here?

Would you rather £1.5k a week or £3k a week for however long you're still here - plus our fee we ask for is hardly going to be prohibitive to the bigger clubs!
    It's probably not a case of whether he'd sign, as of course he'd want to be earning more.

But a 1.5k a week rise is 156k over the next 2 years. He might have his agent in his ear telling him not to sign and that in 2 years time if he plays well, he could get a move to a PL club or top Championship club and get a 500k signing on fee for himself. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Davo53 said:
    I was told last week by an ardent Gillingham fan at work that we had offered 370k including add ons .and that Gillingham had offered 180k plus add ons totalling 450k,if this is true losing someone of Alfie mays goal scoring ability over 80k is pretty gut wrenching to say the least.

Both bids have been accepted, it’s the salary that it’s coming down too not the transfer fee.

How do you know this?
  • RedRyan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd fear if Mitchell got a run in the side he'd be gone in January. He's probably already very well known by all the big clubs anyway 
    for me this is why you play him, they’ll know him anyway and game time will add £££. Plus you never know, if he feels part of the team he might want to stick around longer. 
    The important thing is that he is under a decent contract, so that we're never in the situation of "having" to cash in on him before he leaves for peanuts.

We've been terrible at proactively managing contracts, he has 2 years left on his current deal so now is the time to improve and extend it, reflecting his new role around the first team, rather than waiting until he only has one year left. The extra salary cost is nothing when compared to his future worth.

I assume that nothing will happen until the takeover, but I can imagine Storrie would love to be sorting this out now.

Let's just make up some numbers but if he is about 1,500 a week now and we offered him say 3k a week that's peanuts compared to what players like Maatsen and Dasilva were earning at Chelsea before they played a league game.

Getting the right contract in front of the right player, at the right time, is almost impossible.  Especially at our level, KAG was a great example the window between does he deserve a new contract, to why would he sign what ever we offer him was 4-6 weeks. 

Would you rather £1.5k a week or £3k a week for however long you're still here - plus our fee we ask for is hardly going to be prohibitive to the bigger clubs!
    It's probably not a case of whether he'd sign, as of course he'd want to be earning more.

But a 1.5k a week rise is 156k over the next 2 years. He might have his agent in his ear telling him not to sign and that in 2 years time if he plays well, he could get a move to a PL club or top Championship club and get a 500k signing on fee for himself. 
    That's a big IF though.
  • Grovenuts said:
    Right just need to add to the Alfie May debate, I am an exiled Addick that has been living in the Cotswolds for 7 years and been watching Cheltenham since I moved here, I can CATEGORICALLY tell you that Alfie is a terrific player, he scores fantastic goals from all over the park, is an absolute menace to defenders,think Paul Dickov, and is a provider as well as a scorer, yes he needs to play off of another striker due to his lack of height but all this 'another Ajose' and 'one/ two season wonder' shit is annoying! he is affordable, local and has to be worth the low fee plus I believe he wants to come to us! NO BRAINER
    Odd that it’s between us and Gillingham for his signature then. 
  • Grovenuts said:
    Right just need to add to the Alfie May debate, I am an exiled Addick that has been living in the Cotswolds for 7 years and been watching Cheltenham since I moved here, I can CATEGORICALLY tell you that Alfie is a terrific player, he scores fantastic goals from all over the park, is an absolute menace to defenders,think Paul Dickov, and is a provider as well as a scorer, yes he needs to play off of another striker due to his lack of height but all this 'another Ajose' and 'one/ two season wonder' shit is annoying! he is affordable, local and has to be worth the low fee plus I believe he wants to come to us! NO BRAINER
    Are you his agent? Seriously though, if we really want him we will get him.

• Sponsored links:

• RedRyan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:

It's also a case of if we are offering x now what would we offer in 3 or 6 months time.  That's without agents insisting on release clauses etc.

Both sides want to protect their position, for players on the way up, or the way down,the window where there is enough over lap to both agree to something is often very small.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Richard J said:
    The Arsenal Matt Smith has joined Wigan.
    Another Matt Smith we’ve missed out on
    The first Matt Smith we've missed out on.
    We didn't realise there were any left that hadn't played for us.
    He'll probably be the only one who's any good.  ;)
    He's already played for us... He was the one who we signed on loan from Arsenal after he spent the first half of the season with Swindon - Joined around the same time as Jaiyesimi
    I thought he was ok. Didn’t do a lot wrong in the couple (?) of appearances he made. 
  • RedRyan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:

If he's that good, the 500k will be nothing to him either. All that risk for 300k (after you take off his extra 2 grand pw for the next 2 years).
  • Or you just sign the extension now, get the pay raise, AND get your agent to negotiate a nice fat signing fee as well as a big contract when in 18 months time West Ham or whoever come knocking
  • RedRyan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Adding to that we can always say, we'll double your money, extend your contract and if a big club comes after you we will not stnad in your way as long as we receive a reasonable fee.
  • sam3110 said:
    Or you just sign the extension now, get the pay raise, AND get your agent to negotiate a nice fat signing fee as well as a big contract when in 18 months time West Ham or whoever come knocking
    Exactly this, plus playing for Charlton means there's a higher % than usual that you get injured. 
  • RedRyan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Exactly. Aged 20, you're not thinking "lets stay at my low wage so that in I can run down my contract in 2 years time".

You'd do that with 6 months to go, but not for 2 years.
  • edited July 2023
    Tedious as the Alfie May debate continues to be, it's actually pleasing if it's between us & Gillingham, at least he won't be going to a league rival (for now...)

Personally more interested in hearing what's happening with the likes of Edun and Sessegnon?
    The fact we had a trialist starting at full/wing back against Welling points to how urgently we need to get those gaps in the squad filled.
    Our attack was actually sublime at times last season but let down by a poor defence. Glad we've now got GK & CBs sorted, need the defensive wide men in as a matter of urgency.

• Tedious as the Alfie May debate continues to be, it's actually pleasing if it's between us & Gillingham, at least he won't be going to a league rival (for now...)

Personally more interested in hearing what's happening with the likes of Edun and Sessegnon?
    The fact we had a trialist starting at full/wing back against Welling points to how urgently we need to get those gaps in the squad filled.
    Our attack was actually sublime at times last season but let down by a poor defence. Glad we've now got GK & CBs sorted, need the defensive wide men in as a matter of urgency.

Are we even still in or have been in the debate for Alfie May?
  • Sponsored links:

• Tedious as the Alfie May debate continues to be, it's actually pleasing if it's between us & Gillingham, at least he won't be going to a league rival (for now...)

Francis played as a CB in the back three vs Welling, so I wouldn’t rule out one coming in, especially as we don’t have a left footer. It’s less of an issue in a back four I think, but Saturday’s line ups suggest a move to 3-5-2/3-4-3.
  • Redhenry said:
    1 year contracts are shite FACT
    Yeah, we only had that JRS bloke for a year, what a waste that was!
    Not a waste no. But we now have to replace him.

Good luck finding a wideman/winger who is going to score us 12 goals next season. 

And the 1 year contract stuff is just like having a loan player. So we will be going into the new season with 7 or 8 of these 1 season wonders.

lets just see where we are in July 2024. Stable or squad rebuilding AGAIN
    this is the reality of 3rd division football
    we ain't just dropped in for a year as an aberration
    we've been floundering around here on a (badly managed) mid-upper 3rd division budget since the decrepit europrat showed up
    we on the outside don't like it but convincing ourselves it is otherwise is just willful self-harm - akin to signing a broken 28 year old striker on a 3 year championship deal and just wishing his track record up to that point ain't relevant
    all my fingers and toes are crossed that the next ownership rabble is (much) better than the last 3 but there's plenty of lifestuff I can vaguely control to keep me awake at night.  I ain't adding the recruitment strategy at CAFC to the weight of my world.
  • Davo53 said:
    I was told last week by an ardent Gillingham fan at work that we had offered 370k including add ons .and that Gillingham had offered 180k plus add ons totalling 450k,if this is true losing someone of Alfie mays goal scoring ability over 80k is pretty gut wrenching to say the least.

Unless it's your 80K.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Not difficult considering we not made an offer ?
    It's almost like you are ITK...spooky...🙄
  • ButtleJR said:
    May has been round the training ground. I was told an offer was made and accepted but it's been very quiet since then so not sure how true that was/is. we're his preferred destination and he wants to come home - only leaving us and the gills as options for him. 
    I’m only guessing here but the deal will probably be dependent on the takeover as it will involve a decent transfer fee. So it might be that May doesn’t want to wait 2 weeks for us when he can join a club now for pre-season 
  • Losing 80k of my own money would be disastrous as it would be for a lot of other lifers on here. But we’re talking about a group of wealthy investors who wish to invest in our great club.so stupid comments like yours are pretty pointless aren’t they.?
  • Davo53 said:
    Losing 80k of my own money would be disastrous as it would be for a lot of other lifers on here. But we’re talking about a group of wealthy investors who wish to invest in our great club.so stupid comments like yours are pretty pointless aren’t they.?
    Might be an idea to attach this to the original post eh...🤔