Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Alfie May is set to sign for Gillingham apparently.
  • Anyone know why Clare was watching at Welling yesterday?

Is he still hoping for a deal here?
  • Isn't he a Charlton fan? But without a club? 
  • edited July 2023
    LenGlover said:
    Alfie May is set to sign for Gillingham apparently.
    Alfie who!!..never heard of him..much.🙄
  • The Arsenal Matt Smith has joined Wigan.
  • edited July 2023
  • Richard J said:
    The Arsenal Matt Smith has joined Wigan.
    Another Matt Smith we’ve missed out on
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Richard J said:
    The first Matt Smith we've missed out on.
    We didn't realise there were any left that hadn't played for us.
    He'll probably be the only one who's any good.  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• RC_CAFC said:
    Richard J said:
    The first Matt Smith we've missed out on.
    We didn't realise there were any left that hadn't played for us.
    He'll probably be the only one who's any good.  ;)
    He's already played for us... He was the one who we signed on loan from Arsenal after he spent the first half of the season with Swindon - Joined around the same time as Jaiyesimi
  • Oh that Matt Smith.
    Somebody should have said. :*

• I'd fear if Mitchell got a run in the side he'd be gone in January. He's probably already very well known by all the big clubs anyway 
  • Mitchell is a proper player.. biggest issue is after 10-15 games there will be prem teams wanting him 
    No pressure on him then. We'll need to accept and encourage him through mistakes. It's not as clear cut as that.
  • fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd fear if Mitchell got a run in the side he'd be gone in January. He's probably already very well known by all the big clubs anyway 
    for me this is why you play him, they’ll know him anyway and game time will add £££. Plus you never know, if he feels part of the team he might want to stick around longer. 

Exactly. I'd have no qualms about him at CB or in midfield really. Just looks an absolutely fantastic young player. 
  • Zach Mitchell is a class above his brother Billie who is at Millwall. Can see him playing in the prem one day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    I'd fear if Mitchell got a run in the side he'd be gone in January. He's probably already very well known by all the big clubs anyway 
    Always going to happen sadly at our level.
  • mendonca said:
    Mitchell is a proper player.. biggest issue is after 10-15 games there will be prem teams wanting him 
    No pressure on him then. We'll need to accept and encourage him through mistakes. It's not as clear cut as 

agreed that we will need to be patient with him and support him of course.. not putting pressure on, just saying he's a great young player and our biggest problem will be hanging on to him. 

• MarcusH26 said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    for me this is why you play him, they’ll know him anyway and game time will add £££. Plus you never know, if he feels part of the team he might want to stick around longer. 

Exactly. I'd have no qualms about him at CB or in midfield really. Just looks an absolutely fantastic young player. 
    I'd love to see him in the centre of a 3 stepping forward or covering for dobbo, he's so good on the ball
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Always going to happen sadly at our level.

As long as we get a good fee for him at the end of the day and he doesn't go for peanuts. 
  • fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The important thing is that he is under a decent contract, so that we're never in the situation of "having" to cash in on him before he leaves for peanuts.

We've been terrible at proactively managing contracts, he has 2 years left on his current deal so now is the time to improve and extend it, reflecting his new role around the first team, rather than waiting until he only has one year left. The extra salary cost is nothing when compared to his future worth.

The same applies to Leaburn.

I assume that nothing will happen until the takeover, but I can imagine Storrie would love to be sorting this out now.
    But why would he sign it? 

Let's just make up some numbers but if he is about 1,500 a week now and we offered him say 3k a week that's peanuts compared to what players like Maatsen and Dasilva were earning at Chelsea before they played a league game.

Getting the right contract in front of the right player, at the right time, is almost impossible.  Especially at our level, KAG was a great example the window between does he deserve a new contract, to why would he sign what ever we offer him was 4-6 weeks. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Let's hope Chelsea are still chucking money around, £50m will do.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    fenaddick said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    The important thing is that he is under a decent contract, so that we're never in the situation of "having" to cash in on him before he leaves for peanuts.

We've been terrible at proactively managing contracts, he has 2 years left on his current deal so now is the time to improve and extend it, reflecting his new role around the first team, rather than waiting until he only has one year left. The extra salary cost is nothing when compared to his future worth.

The same applies to Leaburn.

I assume that nothing will happen until the takeover, but I can imagine Storrie would love to be sorting this out now.
    But why would he sign it? 

Let's just make up some numbers but if he is about 1,500 a week now and we offered him say 3k a week that's peanuts compared to what players like Maatsen and Dasilva were earning at Chelsea before they played a league game.

Getting the right contract in front of the right player, at the right time, is almost impossible.  Especially at our level, KAG was a great example the window between does he deserve a new contract, to why would he sign what ever we offer him was 4-6 weeks. 

Am I dense? Why wouldn't he sign it, doubling his wage while he's here?

Would you rather £1.5k a week or £3k a week for however long you're still here - plus our fee we ask for is hardly going to be prohibitive to the bigger clubs!