Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• We lost an international goalkeeper for a bloke that's played more games for non-league clubs than professional football. 

Lost Innis and replaced him with a player that is on paper and until proven otherwise no better than Innis 

Kept a player we had last season and another that none of us were particularly keen on other than squad strength.

Completely stagnant window so far
    We got rid of a goalkeeper who hadn’t played regularly above League 2 and replaced him with someone who put in a MOTM performance on the big stage at Wembley.

We got rid of a L2 level defender who was frankly a liability from a fitness and disciplinary perspective and replaced him with someone who’s been POTY at his previous club, captain at another and comes with glowing reviews from those fanbases.

We’ve resigned the guy who was arguably our best player during the second half of the season, bringing with him a wealth of Championship experience and leadership. Who knows how much better he’ll be for us with a proper pre-season?

We’ve resigned another defender who proved he can do a job both centrally & at left back and will be more than adequate cover having played at this level (and above) for many seasons now.

All about perspective. :-)
    Blimey thats a breath of fresh air ! Vote for Callum!
  • Was still Ghana's number 1 and would have had a chance at a world cup if not for a freak injury and when you look at it again, without the blinkers on, has ended up at arguably a bigger club than us. 

My point is if you look at that those resumes, it's clear who looks better on paper, only time will tell if it was the right move. 
    Alarm bells at the use of the word resume.
  • We lost an international goalkeeper for a bloke that's played more games for non-league clubs than professional football. 

Lost Innis and replaced him with a player that is on paper and until proven otherwise no better than Innis 

Kept a player we had last season and another that none of us were particularly keen on other than squad strength.

We got rid of a goalkeeper who hadn’t played regularly above League 2 and replaced him with someone who put in a MOTM performance on the big stage at Wembley.

We got rid of a L2 level defender who was frankly a liability from a fitness and disciplinary perspective and replaced him with someone who’s been POTY at his previous club, captain at another and comes with glowing reviews from those fanbases.

We’ve resigned the guy who was arguably our best player during the second half of the season, bringing with him a wealth of Championship experience and leadership. Who knows how much better he’ll be for us with a proper pre-season?

We’ve resigned another defender who proved he can do a job both centrally & at left back and will be more than adequate cover having played at this level (and above) for many seasons now.

Could do this all day.

Motm performance but lost regardless and if he was that good, he wouldn't be here. 

I have openly set my stool out in the past and said Innis is crap, but a Cambridge player of the year who survived on sheer luck and teams around them being pants doesn't get the pulse racing, we heard all the same about Sam Lavelle and Craig MacGillivray, how did they turn out..

There is no argument about who our best player was, there was an award for it, he walked it and he's not here anymore. Hector is here because championship clubs wasn't willing to risk it, that's why it's a year extension and not a long term contract. He's using us as a platform.

Are we really going to talk up Terell Thomas like that? Above this level..you might wanna fact check that, he's been a relegation level league 1 defender for most of his career. He's cover and that's it, we can't praise a signing that we would have had quite literally no competition for, I don't think he would have even got another league 1 gig based on Innis ending up at Forest Green.

I totally agree it is all about perspective and I would say it's somewhere in between the posts. 

But it's bonkers to think this window can be seen as positive so far though, it's the absolute bare minimum required so far and it has been like this for years. Lose our players, extend the desperate ones and miss out on the proper players that get ambitious teams promoted.

The acceptance of how mediocre we are as a club is sad. The 8th favourites to win league 1, transfer windows like this are why 

Remind me when the window closes ?

I think of you asked our base this time last year about Inniss you would have got something along the lines of "great player, cheat code even, if you can actually keep him fit".
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Jesus Christ too many people to reply to and I don't wanna clog the thread for people who actually want to read rumours. Apologies for all the readers who are expecting actual rumours (but this must be your first rodeo)

In a nut shell, I think don't expect too much next season, top 10 finish at best based on what we have seen so far. 

Like I said before, I'll set aside £10 for the upbeats for every signing we make that can be seen as a genuine squad improvement, not just the ones here to make up the numbers. 

I'll leave it there and return when we sign the best player to ever play in league 1 and potentially the world, Alfie May 
  • shine166 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Or you just sign the extension now, get the pay raise, AND get your agent to negotiate a nice fat signing fee as well as a big contract when in 18 months time West Ham or whoever come knocking
    Exactly this, plus playing for Charlton means there's a higher % than usual that you get injured. 
    Really…..? 🤔🤔🤔

I agree with all you have said, exept there's no way injury and Disciplinary record aside that Inniss was L2. 
  • The Charlton social media team have been quiet today, just one offering with a few photos of training.
  • It may well be the case that whatever regime we end up with the most significant signings we have made recently are all those Academy graduates.
    Who knows they may be part of an asset calculation, or as a result of not spending money.
    A surreal take is that Holden is a Manchester United fan, and they were once told ‘you don’t win anything with kids’, maybe he will continue focusing on being simply a football manager who calculates you can win things with kids and relishes the challenge.
  • cfgs said:
    The Charlton social media team have been quiet today, just one offering with a few photos of training.
    Looked more like punishment...
  • Richard J said:
    If we are describing Wollacott as an international keeper , we need to call Thomas an International captain.😄😄😄
    Yeah, bring back Gunter & Matthews.
  • Looks far too happy on that flag to be joining Charlton!
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Are we still pinning all our hopes and dreams for the next season on an old boy from the mighty Cheltenham Town…?
    Just checking how far we’ve fallen….
    A lad we bought from the mighty Grimsby Town did ok for us and he was at the time only 4 months off being 29.

Age is just a number 
    I used to see Mendona playing for Grimsby when I was a kid and wishing we'd sign him. Took a while but we got there in the end. Great player for us. 
    Always seemed to score against us, superb striker at that level, shame he seemed to be injured so much in the prem or whatever it was called in those days.
  • The problem is, until the takeover is complete, none of the players are likely to set the pulses racing and even then we don’t know if there will be serious investment 

until then you’re either of a similar disposition as Braziliance (which is probably where I sit), or, you’re positive and think the signings so far could be good additions 

For me it’s hard to be hopeful based on previous windows, how poor we’ve been over the last 2 years and being unable to shake the mark the two have left.

New signings tend to give people a boost generally, but it’s going to take so much more than some bloke on Twitter called Owen telling me how great Lloyd Jones is.  
  • If we can't sign 2 goalscorers we are 10th next May. I'm not melting down. I'm resigned.
  • Lol Wollacott Ghana's number 1 keeper?! Yeah ok, he hasn't played for them since September last year and only has 16 caps in total. Isted has just as much calibre at this level so far.

Lloyd Jones is an upgrade on Inniss, 100%. For one, he's only been sent off three times in his entire career, not three times just last season.

• sam3110 said:
    Lol Wollacott Ghana's number 1 keeper?! Yeah ok, he hasn't played for them since September last year and only has 16 caps in total. Isted has just as much calibre at this level so far.

Lloyd Jones is an upgrade on Inniss, 100%. For one, he's only been sent off three times in his entire career, not three times just last season.

I like our early business , Wollacott obviously wanted out and CB was a need. Won't get many PL loan players this early in the window anyway with some sides probably wanting to take younger players on preseason tours etc