Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Pigott would be an awful signing, even if he was 5th choice!!

he has scored 6 goals in his last two seasons at league 1 level. The hated mr Bonne has score 14 league goals in the same time. 

Is Bonne good enough to be back up?
    No No and No regarding Bonne. 
    Agreed. But Pigott gets mentioned every window and is a poor version of Bonne who is himself, very poor
    Sadly we are shopping in a bargain bin for players that won't get us promotion. To get in the automatic spots we need an owner to do what happened at Wednesday and Ipswich. The tried and tested route of splash the cash works in every league. There is always an anomaly, but money talks in almost every promoted or successful club Until we buy players better than most of the rest in this league we will remain in League One, at best. I fail to understand how players who have been playing at the same or a lower standard all their careers, can suddenly become better due to wearing a Charlton shirt.

Leaburn should still be considered a squad striker with better players coming in to lead the line. He's good but I do not believe he is good enough to be the top striker and so we need at least 1 or 2 main strikers ahead of him and for him to push them for a start, if the goals required for promotion are to materialise. 

I'm not sure why this sensible post got three lol's.
    Because someone dared to question that Leaburn is not the second coming of the brazilian Ronaldo
  • felix_31 said:
    You have to admit... this all sounds rather promising 
    We've been hopeful and disappointed so many times but it looks a bit better than last season so far. First season we got in what we could under an embargo, second season we brought in players for decent money based on data but without thinking about how they'd fit into the team. Season after that we spent no money, identified some of the right kind of players but hoped the players would be able to step up a level rather than being at the level needed. So far it looks like we're going after the right profile of player, doing frees again but going for players with recent experience at the level we need. It might not work yet again but it feels like very slow progress at this point. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the new owners come in though, whether we'll continue on in the exact same way or if there will be a change in strategy halfway through the window.
  • Dabo and Dobbo , sounds like a double act!
  • felix_31 said:
    What does....a rumour?
  • Garrymanilow said:
    felix_31 said:
    We've been hopeful and disappointed so many times but it looks a bit better than last season so far. First season we got in what we could under an embargo, second season we brought in players for decent money based on data but without thinking about how they'd fit into the team. Season after that we spent no money, identified some of the right kind of players but hoped the players would be able to step up a level rather than being at the level needed. So far it looks like we're going after the right profile of player, doing frees again but going for players with recent experience at the level we need. It might not work yet again but it feels like very slow progress at this point. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the new owners come in though, whether we'll continue on in the exact same way or if there will be a change in strategy halfway through the window.
    I’d be dumbfounded if the new owners aren’t part of the decision making for any new players, regardless of how this might be breaking the rules. 
  • Dabo would have kept Todd Kane out of the team at Coventry so clearly an upgrade. The missed penalty certainly gives Kermogant vibes.
  • Why would he drop from the champ play offs to league 1?
  • jams said:
    Why would he drop from the champ play offs to league 1?
    regular football on same or more money?
  • jams said:
    Length of contract, guarantee of game time, personal reasons. It could happen - Kermorgant did that exact thing for example.

Though until its actually done its pretty pointless speculating I suppose.
  • cfgs said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Heard we are close to a right back that played 27 games last year in the championship. He is at a good game as well.

can’t say names yet
    Who has the time and the application to trawl through each Championship side from last year then?
    I put "defender, 27 games, English championship" (in German) into Google, and it came up with Dabo from Coventry. :)
    Well, Dubai liked this post, so……….
  • Sponsored links:

• may not be taken over by a Sheikh but would have one playing for us. 
  • jams said:
    Indeed. A lot of assumptions being made on a guess.
  • thenewbie said:
    jams said:
    Length of contract, guarantee of game time, personal reasons. It could happen - Kermorgant did that exact thing for example.

Also he's a south Londoner so may have grown up with a poster of Millwall, Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal, Charlton on his wall.
  • Dabo is from Southwark and came through at Chelsea so moving more locally too? 
  • cfgs said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Heard we are close to a right back that played 27 games last year in the championship. He is at a good game as well.

can’t say names yet
    Who has the time and the application to trawl through each Championship side from last year then?
    I put "defender, 27 games, English championship" (in German) into Google, and it came up with Dabo from Coventry. :)
    What does google say if you grow in rash and itching down below.....asking for a friend 😂
    Dabo it with cream
  • I am starting to get some positive vibes for the coming season.

Some players who we have been linked with us have still not signed for anyone else. Which is unusual.

This is making me wonder whether once the new owners have been approved by the EFL. Things will happen quickly and a number of new players will suddenly be announced.

As I said I am definitely not in the know, but I have a gut feeling something is going on in the background.
    I don't know if I totally agree but it does seem as though for the first time in a while SOMEONE'S got an actual plan - the number of defenders we've signed/linked to suggests that somebody (presumably Holden) appears to think that shoring up the defence and having a more solid base is the right way to start.

Now as to whether this strategy is correct, and if so, whether or not we'll actually manage it is still very much a question. And in either case now matter how improved the defence is next season, we NEED to improve attacking options as well, and preferably soon.

My vibes remain neutral but I have hope that we CAN still turn things around, if not total faith that we WILL.
  • thenewbie said:
    jams said:

Also he's a south Londoner so may have grown up with a poster of Millwall, Palace, Chelsea, Arsenal, Charlton on his wall.
    So did I, but I never played in the Championship :)

• Sponsored links:

• Holden/Gallen etc will have an A list, B list etc of wishful players to sign.

We also need to remind ourselves that in the close season players are signed in order of availability.

Some players who we have been linked with us have still not signed for anyone else. Which is unusual.

This is making me wonder whether once the new owners have been approved by the EFL. Things will happen quickly and a number of new players will suddenly be announced.

As I said I am definitely not in the know, but I have a gut feeling something is going on in the background.
    Well, that’s an inspired guess!

I imagine there’s often things going on in the background that we as fans won’t know about! 

Where has this Diablo rumour come from? People trying to make the most tenuous link out of what?
  • Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    I am starting to get some positive vibes for the coming season.

I don't know if I totally agree but it does seem as though for the first time in a while SOMEONE'S got an actual plan - the number of defenders we've signed/linked to suggests that somebody (presumably Holden) appears to think that shoring up the defence and having a more solid base is the right way to start.

Now as to whether this strategy is correct, and if so, whether or not we'll actually manage it is still very much a question. And in either case now matter how improved the defence is next season, we NEED to improve attacking options as well, and preferably soon.

My vibes remain neutral but I have hope that we CAN still turn things around, if not total faith that we WILL.
    Not many teams win promotion with a leaky defence.

Once your defence is reliable, you've got the platform on which to build the rest of the team.
    If you don't concede, you only need one goal to win a game.

Oh I agree entirely. But (with my cynical hat on) we still don't know that our defense IS going to be reliable yet. Istead is promising but pretty green, Hector and Thomas were part of last seasons occasional Keystone Kops defensive system and our brand new CB looked good but in a not super impressive defense. On paper you could make arguments either way honestly.

Plus with Leaburn facing injury issues, Aneke being Aneke and JRS gone, even one goal a game is looking like it might be harder than it ought to be.
  • thenewbie said:

I heard a thing years go, can’t remember who said it, that Charlton were good at getting defenders in, as the wages tended to be lower, and we paid quite well for defenders.

Where we struggled to compete, and lose out on, was attacking players , who commanded higher salaries, don’t know if that still rings true?

Well, that’s an inspired guess!

I imagine there’s often things going on in the background that we as fans won’t know about! 

Where has this Diablo rumour come from? People trying to make the most tenuous link out of what?
    CAFCDubai said we are close to signing a right back, gave some hints, someone suggested Fakaty Dabo and said Dubai liked the post.
  • thenewbie said:
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:

Once your defence is reliable, you've got the platform on which to build the rest of the team.

Oh I agree entirely. But (with my cynical hat on) we still don't know that our defense IS going to be reliable yet. Istead is promising but pretty green, Hector and Thomas were part of last seasons occasional Keystone Kops defensive system and our brand new CB looked good but in a not super impressive defense. On paper you could make arguments either way honestly.

Plus with Leaburn facing injury issues, Aneke being Aneke and JRS gone, even one goal a game is looking like it might be harder than it ought to be.
    You make good points, Mr Newbie ....... especially after the expereience of the past few seasons. 

But rather than young Mr Sandgaard and his black box identifying player aquisitions based on data and perceived/hoped for sell on value. Dean Holden now appears the bloke who's deciding who to sign based on his own plans for actual team building.

He seems to do a lot of homework on players and have his own list of who he fancies - and how they fit into his team.
    While defenders are being signed right now, that doesn't mean the defence is already complete or that attacking positions are being ignored.

In the close season, players are signed as they become available, rather than any order of priority.
    The other positions will get filled also by order of current availability - and that's ignoring loans, which usually are only made available once other teams have finalised their squads.

It's still early days, the season doesn't kick off until another month, and it's best part of 2 months before the window closes.
    Lots of business to be done yet. 

• Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:

You make good points, Mr Newbie ....... especially after the expereience of the past few seasons. 

But rather than young Mr Sandgaard and his black box identifying player aquisitions based on data and perceived/hoped for sell on value. Dean Holden now appears the bloke who's deciding who to sign based on his own plans for actual team building.

He seems to do a lot of homework on players and have his own list of who he fancies - and how they fit into his team.
    While defenders are being signed right now, that doesn't mean the defence is already complete or that attacking positions are being ignored.

In the close season, players are signed as they become available, rather than any order of priority.
    The other positions will get filled also by order of current availability - and that's ignoring loans, which usually are only made available once other teams have finalised their squads.

It's still early days, the season doesn't kick off until another month, and it's best part of 2 months before the window closes.
    Lots of business to be done yet. 

Agreed. I think that actually I see things very similarly to you but in playing devil's advocate I am coming across as more negative/cynical than is actually the case.

I think there are signs that this summer could be a very good one and some of the rot and cobwebs get blown away. But I'm certainly not putting any money on a good window/season yet when there's still so much to do and time to go.

Proof, pudding, eating etc etc...