Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited July 2023
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Sess as LB/LWB and Dabo as RB/RWB sound good, all we have to do is get them over the line, and complete a competent back line imo... 
    Agreed, Dabo/Egbo as the RB/RWB options and Sess + A.N Other as LB/LWB options looks very strong for this level. 
    Be nice to have some competition for places wouldn't it... Not first team players and then just squad players. 

Heard so many former pros talk about how much that drives performances
    There’s a balance though, any promotion team will have a core of players who are regular starters.

If you aim for competition everywhere you risk spreading the budget too thinly and leaving yourself with nothing but squad players, something we’ve experienced in recent years.
    That's presuming that 'competition' means two expensive players. Egbo was signed from L2. It's possible to have competition without breaking the bank. 

I'm not sure I'd agree that we've tried to have competition everywhere in recent years and that's why we've had so many squad players? That doesn't quite make sense unless I'm misunderstanding your post. 
    If you bring in a cheaper back up that’s genuinely able to challenge that’s good recruitment. That’s probably the aim in most positions as it frees up budget for a more expensive option as first choice.

In recent years we’ve not often had players make 35+ league starts, but most promotion sides will have a core of regular starters. That’s my point, we want a good number of top players who are almost guaranteed to start because they’re the ones who turn you into a promotion quality side.

If you split the budget evenly in a position you could end up with two average players you rotate because neither are up to it.
  • Alfie May looking at flats in Gillingham overlooking the Medway is the funniest thing I've read in a while
    He was only looking at them as he drove over the Medway Bridge on the way to The Valley...
  • Alfie May looking at flats in Gillingham overlooking the Medway is the funniest thing I've read in a while
    They’re perfect for 7th time buyers on 12k a month.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Great... Can I be the first to say I'm underwhelmed.

This will be the SECOND player we've signed this summer who has lost a Play-Off Final recently.

We need WINNERS here... Not losers!!
    Bit premature there FA...as Marlene said to Boycie... ;)
  • edited July 2023
    Great... Can I be the first to say I'm underwhelmed.

This will be the SECOND player we've signed this summer who has lost a Play-Off Final recently.

Be quite amusing actually if we signed Scott Banks

As his Bradford side lost in the Play-Off Semi-Finals in League Two, meaning we could well pick up a player who'd failed to win the lottery promotion from each of the three EFL Leagues :D
    Don't forget we signed Yann the Man after his penalty miss for Leicester in their play-off semi, and that didn't work out too bad did it..🤔
  • edited July 2023
    Winners get complacent, losers are hungry for success. Or so our recruiters will probably tell us.
  • edited July 2023
    Spent a lot of time unavailable due to injury last year so will fit right in. Perhaps we'll rotate him and Egbo in the hope neither get too fatigued. 
  • Can we be declared champions already? 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

As his Bradford side lost in the Play-Off Semi-Finals in League Two, meaning we could well pick up a player who'd failed to win the lottery promotion from each of the three EFL Leagues :D
    Not sure we are in for Banks now, we was looking at a perm deal, but the CP offered new contract. I think for loans we would be looking at better players. He would have been a good signing.
    The fact he hasn’t signed a new deal with them had given me hope we might still get him on a perm. Decent prospect tbf.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sources: Charlton in advanced talks to sign Fankaty Dabo after Coventry exit

Charlton Athletic are in advanced talks to sign former Coventry City defender Fankaty Dabo on a free transfer, sources have told Football Insider.

Dabo, 27, is a free agent after leaving Coventry upon the expiration of his contract in the days following their Championship play-off final defeat to Luton Town.

The right-back, who started his career at Chelsea, has spent the last four seasons at Coventry and he played a key role in their promotion to the Championship in the 2019-20 season.

A number of clubs have expressed an interest in Dabo, but Charlton have moved quickly to offer the ex-Chelsea youngster a return to London.

He racked up 31 appearances across all competitions for Coventry in the 2022-23 campaign, notching two assists.

22 of those outings came as part of the starting lineup for the Sky Blues as they recorded a fifth-place finish.

He left Coventry last month after racking up 131 appearances across all competitions for the Midlands club since joining in 2019.

Despite starting his career at Chelsea, Dabo never made a senior appearance for the Premier League giants.

He turned out 75 times for the club’s youth sides before being loaned out on several occasions to further his development.

The 27-year-old had spells at Vitesse, Sparta Rotterdam and Swindon Town between 2017 and 2019.

The former England Under-20 international can play as an orthodox right-back and on the right flank in a 3-4-3 formation.

Charlton will play League One football once again next season after finishing 10th in the 2022-23 campaign.

The Addicks have already completed deals for Harry Isted and Lloyd Jones so far this summer.

In other news, MK Dons submit offer for Everton star.

be very surprised if we get him, sounds way too good for this level
  • Dabo would be an amazing signing for league 1. Right wing back but can play left side as well, an upgrade on Sessegnon who I would have been happy with anyway. Will be first choice over Egbo if we can sign a good left wing back 
  • mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Not sure we are in for Banks now, we was looking at a perm deal, but the CP offered new contract. I think for loans we would be looking at better players. He would have been a good signing.
    The fact he hasn’t signed a new deal with them had given me hope we might still get him on a perm. Decent prospect tbf.
    Wasn’t his contract due to expire end of the season, but was retained? Not sure if that was a trigger of an extension or a new deal?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Wasn’t his contract due to expire end of the season, but was retained? Not sure if that was a trigger of an extension or a new deal?
    On transfermarkt it says he signed a one year extension in June.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    mart77 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I thought they had the year option but that could just be to guarantee some compensation. If he’s signed a new deal I haven’t seen it. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Sess as LB/LWB and Dabo as RB/RWB sound good, all we have to do is get them over the line, and complete a competent back line imo... 
    Agreed, Dabo/Egbo as the RB/RWB options and Sess + A.N Other as LB/LWB options looks very strong for this level. 

Would be more than happy with this even if I'd rather have a natural left footer at LB/LWB usually I think Sess is easily good enough to do it. 

Might find Thomas can provide cover there as we have a number of centre backs now or if we do bring in another LB/LWB maybe it'll be the last signing if there's any room left in the budget & squad.
    Thomas ? Don't tell me that was part of the deal with Charlie boy. What next hard shot martin as stand in for Leaburn  :o:o:o
  • WARNING : MAY MAKE YOU FEEL ILL

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/academy-prospects-sign-professional-contracts/

posted 24 hours ago says Scott Banks has agreed a contract extension.
  • WARNING : MAY MAKE YOU FEEL ILL

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announcement/academy-prospects-sign-professional-contracts/

posted 24 hours ago says Scott Banks has agreed a contract extension.
    Thought that was the case