Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Re Banks. Unless our interest has cooled I would think that Carlisle is an odd one. Palace had a good experience loaning us JRS and it’s a lot easier to have a player locally than at the other end of the country. Difficult for Palace and isolating for the player. Watch this space I guess. 
    Palace can't send all their kids out to local clubs, and for JRS it was his first loan so it made sense to send a south Londoner somewhere local.
  • edited July 2023
    J BLOCK said:
    So releasing Clare and keeping McGrandles is part of our new promotion strategy?

At least Clare didn't look like he would be blown away in a stiff breeze. 
    Anyone that thinks Clare is worthy of a promotion chasing team needs their head checking.

Unlikely with the handicap that Wigan have but as an attacking Right back or right Wing back he could be. Stranger things have happened.
    Remember the concenus on Simon Francis.
    I was a lone voice the night he was shite and got hooked at HT against Preston in his last appearance.I remembered the Oxford home game when Francis was excellent charging forward down the right flank and had two assists. I wasn't surprised when Eddie Howe coached him into bigger and better things.

Clare is a bit of a maverick player but the runs forward were good to see and the time he ran from the half way line and hit the inside of the post was so close to being a great goal.

Not great at picking up forwards when defending but seen so many worse at cafc.
    Loved his goal against Plymouth at the Valley.
    All at sea against United at Old Trafford for first 15 minutes against young Premier wide man but stable and decent for 75 minutes after that. I guess easier to remember Clare being ripped a new one rather than his play after that.

My standard reply is I'm excited for the new season because we must be getting better than Sean, Albie etc.
  • Blucher said:
    A real shame but understandable from the lad’s point of view.

Given that he never signed a pro contract, I wonder if the club will receive any compensation from the Qataris ?
    Unlikely, as he's gone abroad.  As per Sarmiento when he went to Benfica...
  • Sam Smith, Tayo Edun, Panutche Camara (on loan) and Jonson Clarke-Harris. Slam the window shut, 100 point club the league, 

That's my prediction for the rest of this window 
    Where are they each going? ;)
  • edited July 2023
    Sam Smith, Tayo Edun, Panutche Camara (on loan) and Jonson Clarke-Harris. Slam the window shut, 100 point club the league, 

Anywhere but here...Edun maybe?
  • seth plum said:
    I always get the impression that McGrandles is bewildered when playing.
    Is that down to poor management? Or poor eyesight on my part?
    I’m not quite sure how you’ve had the time to make that judgement. He’s hardly played.
    It was an impression not a judgment.
  • Sam Smith, Tayo Edun, Panutche Camara (on loan) and Jonson Clarke-Harris. Slam the window shut, 100 point club the league, 

Oxford, Portsmouth, Portsmouth and Ipswich 
  • The first thing I thought about McGrandles is how weak he looked. Hopefully Holden gets him strengthened up and he stays fit.
    Nobby Stiles wasnt exactly built like Mike Tyson,so I dont think apperances are really important.

I've heard there is a nice Garden there
  • Sponsored links:

I've heard there is a nice Garden there

• seth plum said:
    Probably was as he was concussed.
  • Given the success that McGrandles had at Cambridge last term I wonder if he was offered to them during the negotiations for Lloyd Jones ? Perhaps it didn’t suit any parties to consider it.
  • seth plum said:
    Perhaps it's poor eyesight on McGrandles' part!
  • J BLOCK said:
    So releasing Clare and keeping McGrandles is part of our new promotion strategy?

At least Clare didn't look like he would be blown away in a stiff breeze. 
    Anyone that thinks Clare is worthy of a promotion chasing team needs their head checking.

Unlikely with the handicap that Wigan have but as an attacking Right back or right Wing back he could be. Stranger things have happened.
    Remember the concenus on Simon Francis.
    I was a lone voice the night he was shite and got hooked at HT against Preston in his last appearance.I remembered the Oxford home game when Francis was excellent charging forward down the right flank and had two assists. I wasn't surprised when Eddie Howe coached him into bigger and better things.

Clare is a bit of a maverick player but the runs forward were good to see and the time he ran from the half way line and hit the inside of the post was so close to being a great goal.

Not great at picking up forwards when defending but seen so many worse at cafc.
    Loved his goal against Plymouth at the Valley.
    All at sea against United at Old Trafford for first 15 minutes against young Premier wide man but stable and decent for 75 minutes after that. I guess easier to remember Clare being ripped a new one rather than his play after that.

My standard reply is I'm excited for the new season because we must be getting better than Sean, Albie etc.
    Clare could have been a squad player in Bowyer or Powell’s promotion teams just as the likes of Reeves, Marshall, Hughes, Pritchard etc were.

I doubt he’d have signed a 1 or 2 year deal with us that giver no guarantees over playing time when Wigan have given him 3 years and said he was their number one target for his position.

Keeping him would mean we don’t improve at RWB, releasing him gives us the chance to bring in a new first choice (Cawley’s confirmed we’re in the market for FB/WBs on both sides) with Egbo fighting for his place.

He’s decent on the ball and good physically, with experience he might improve his reading of the game, decision making, concentration etc but I’m happy we’re not taking our chances by giving him a longer term contract as Wigan have.
  • Given the success that McGrandles had at Cambridge last term I wonder if he was offered to them during the negotiations for Lloyd Jones ? Perhaps it didn’t suit any parties to consider it.
    Lloyd Jones was Out of Contract
    Of course.
    There was no transfer involved he was out of contract 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    fenaddick said:
    I’d guess that Hudds would be his preferred choice. Wouldn’t need to move I’d have thought. Pretty stiff competition reported there. Is this guy a wing back or traditional full back.  ?

Looks like Dobbo in 25 years time.
  • fenaddick said:

Thought it was LB we needed...🙄
    Anyway, no chance with those others sniffing around...
  • fenaddick said:

We need both
  • I still think we’ll end up with sess but later in the window when he’s expended options.
  • edited July 2023
    fenaddick said:

Why not? Could be agent talk. We also know Isted and May had interest from other clubs, probably Jones too.

Cawley’s said we’re in the market for full backs/wing backs on both sides.
  • Wouldnt be surprised if Asiimwe ends up as cover for RB. Still need a LB though obviously so hopefully Edun gets through the door. Id like Sess back but not sure we can afford him! 
  • LTKapal said:
    I still think we’ll end up with sess but later in the window when he’s expended options.
    Yep, assess your options and if they don't work out or suit you, come to Charlton for an easy life.

• I can understand the Hunt links having worked with Holden but wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Huddersfield.