Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Looking for the rumours thread 👀
    Why, have you got one then...do tell🤔
  • Feeling more optimistic about this season than i have for many years - desperately need a centre forward of course and to ship 4 or 5 out and bring 4 or 5 better in but it seems that is the plan - lets hope we can get the centre forward in this week and hit the ground running on the 5th August. The 4 or 5 that we may have been stuck with had the takeover not gone through appear to have played their way out pf contention in the pre season games so far.
  • redbuttle said:
    No rumours then.
    Heard yesterday there are definitely bids in for players. Both full back positions are the key priorities. 
    Good to hear, anything on a striker or two?
  • edited July 2023
    We could of course play an attacking midfielder instead of a striker. I still think Dack would fit that role nicely.
  • Seems really important we get a striker, L(W)B and R(W)B in this week, I feel the rest can come in a little later. 

Hopefully the silence is deafening and work is well underway, I can’t believe for a second the new owners have spent 12m+ to start the season as is 
    After those three it’s less obvious where we’d make further signings.

There’s a good case for another player in each of those positions.

In central midfield Fraser, Dobson, Camara, McGrandles, Anderson, Henry and Payne may be seen as enough. Bringing in another player either means upgrading on Fraser or Dobson (not convinced we’ll try) or signing a squad player which will block Anderson and Henry’s progress (not convinced by Henry but Holden might be). So that might only happen if someone leaves.

Similar situation at centre back, we have six players in Jones, Hector, Thomas, Mitchell, Elerewe and Ness. Any of the latter three could be loaned out which might leave room for a signing.

For me the only way we sign a winger is if they can also comfortably play up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the Curbs way was if there was somebody better available to us to bring them in. 
  • A LWB and a striker are the priority and then we can put out a starting 11 that can compete with the best in league one.

Then we have until the end of Aug to bring in another CM, CB and cover for the WB positions - Sess would be good cover for both sides.
  • edited July 2023
    Looking for the rumours thread 👀
    Why, have you got one then...do tell🤔
    One thing I’m 💯 sure on is if things don’t change they’ll stay as they are…
    Facts are great, what we need are real rumours...😉🤷‍♂️
  • Looking for the rumours thread 👀

It's a Sunday we are having a day off; Only Ronnie Moore out west, works 7 days a week to bring breaking rumour news 🧐
  • NabySarr said:
    We could of course play an attacking midfielder instead of a striker. I still think Dack would fit that role nicely.
    May needs a strike partner. We can’t expect players to reproduce their previous form if we don’t set up to get the best out of them. I think a striker before the opening day should be the highest priority. I’d rather play CBT at wing back than May on his own up front 
    100% agreed - can't believe anybody who doesn't think this is THE priority position
  • A LWB and a striker are the priority and then we can put out a starting 11 that can compete with the best in league one.

Then we have until the end of Aug to bring in another CM, CB and cover for the WB positions - Sess would be good cover for both sides.
    If we do manage to get Sess he won’t be cover, been offered a very good wage for this level. Personally still think he will get a championship gig, Plymouth are keen on him.
    Sess would start over Egbo if we signed him and a proper LWB 
  • I think we are in a completely different place this year than the last 2 at least. While we could/would sign a decent free agent, we are in the hunt for players which could get us out of this Divison with some budget behind Dean. We will compete but miss out on some, likewise and win others, but positions like LWB are not blessed with 100s players like CM or CB, so will have to be a bit more patient to land our no 1/2/3 target. I think we are yet to see our first choice wing backs on right or left (obviously).
  • redbuttle said:
    No rumours then.
    Heard yesterday there are definitely bids in for players. Both full back positions are the key priorities. 

As you were at the U21 match in Eastbourne was that from Charlton coaches or just random fans ? 

Even my old Mum ask me on text yesterday have we brought in a bona fide Left back as its been a while since that nice lad Ben Purrington left 👵🏼
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Seems really important we get a striker, L(W)B and R(W)B in this week, I feel the rest can come in a little later. 

Hopefully the silence is deafening and work is well underway, I can’t believe for a second the new owners have spent 12m+ to start the season as is 

In central midfield Fraser, Dobson, Camara, McGrandles, Anderson, Henry and Payne may be seen as enough. Bringing in another player either means upgrading on Fraser or Dobson (not convinced we’ll try) or signing a squad player which will block Anderson and Henry’s progress (not convinced by Henry but Holden might be). So that might only happen if someone leaves.

Similar situation at centre back, we have six players in Jones, Hector, Thomas, Mitchell, Elerewe and Ness. Any of the latter three could be loaned out which might leave room for a signing.

For me the only way we sign a winger is if they can also comfortably play up front.
    No matter how good the "kids" are I would always feel more comfortable if we had senior players in place.  Last season we got a bit lucky with how well Leaburn and Campbell did but at times they were playing because they were literally the only players in their positions we had.

Anderson and Asiimwe might end up forcing their way past the "senior" players which is great.  Playing them because we don't have a senior alternative is bad IMO.

I still think we need a CM of the same sort of quality as Dobson amd Fraser.  2 left full/ wing backs, 1 right sided one and 2 strikers.  Being greedy I want an experienced center back, even if it was someone that could help the u21s and provide cover so we aren't forced to play kids.

If we do manage to get Sess he won’t be cover, been offered a very good wage for this level. Personally still think he will get a championship gig, Plymouth are keen on him.
    Any idea why he still hasn’t made a decision?
  • I think McGrandles may be Dobson's back up and I think it makes sense. Could we bring in a better option as back up?
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    A LWB and a striker are the priority and then we can put out a starting 11 that can compete with the best in league one.

Sess would start over Egbo if we signed him and a proper LWB 

Edit: 
    Sess would start over Egbo if we sign him at RWB and we need a proper LWB.

Read it wrong first time.👍
  • Two wing backs and a striker have to be signed before Orient. Go into the season without that bare minimum and we’ll struggle. Even three or four games without those three could be the difference between top six and not. 
    Yes. Especially as we're playing 3-5-2 so it's not going to work if we stick a bog standard full back in there. They need to be our attacking threats bringing us proper width or the whole formation will fail.
  • I really liked Sess  but is it sensible to sign a player with a knee problem which has to be managed? 
  • edited July 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Seems really important we get a striker, L(W)B and R(W)B in this week, I feel the rest can come in a little later. 

No matter how good the "kids" are I would always feel more comfortable if we had senior players in place.  Last season we got a bit lucky with how well Leaburn and Campbell did but at times they were playing because they were literally the only players in their positions we had.

Anderson and Asiimwe might end up forcing their way past the "senior" players which is great.  Playing them because we don't have a senior alternative is bad IMO.

I still think we need a CM of the same sort of quality as Dobson amd Fraser.  2 left full/ wing backs, 1 right sided one and 2 strikers.  Being greedy I want an experienced center back, even if it was someone that could help the u21s and provide cover so we aren't forced to play kids.
    It’ll interesting to see how it all develops, including who’s sold and loaned out with what appears to be a bigger budget than recent years.

I don’t think luck fully explains it, especially in the case of Leaburn. He did better than expected but he was correctly judged to be ready to be a first team player.

We could waste budget bringing in average back up players if a youngster is capable, but what we don’t want is too many of them covering as it becomes a problem if they’re all playing due to injuries and suspensions. That’s where Holden needs to get the balance right.

Having the pathway is part of the reason we get the majority of our promising kids signed up on pro contracts.

They need to be judged individually rather than a blanket rule that every youngster must have two senior players ahead of them. Sometimes they’re clearly ready and need the opportunity in order to develop and keep them at the club.
  • Macronate said:
    Don’t know if this helps but I dreamt we signed Richard Gough, Dom Jolly and Penn & Teller last night.
    Penn & Teller would be magic, not sure about the others...🙄