Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I want Mitchell and Elewere to progress but wish it was one rather than both of them alongside Ness’ progress. I think we are going to be found out as soon as Hector and Jones have a spell on the sidelines and need a further senior CB beyond Thomas but in DH we trust.
    I tend to agree with you ..... regardless of how promising they are, to have 3 inexperienced CBs is too many.

It wouldn't matter so much if were playing with a flat back 4, but 3-5-2 will demand 2 experienced of the 3 xCBs at all times - especially in a promotion campaign.
    We could be well exposed with say Thomas LCB and 2 youngsters together on the other side of him.

• Oggy Red said:
    I want Mitchell and Elewere to progress but wish it was one rather than both of them alongside Ness’ progress. I think we are going to be found out as soon as Hector and Jones have a spell on the sidelines and need a further senior CB beyond Thomas but in DH we trust.
    I tend to agree with you ..... regardless of how promising they are, to have 3 inexperienced CBs is too many.

It wouldn't matter so much if were playing with a flat back 4, but 3-5-2 will demand 2 experienced of the 3 xCBs at all times - especially in a promotion campaign.
    We could be well exposed with say Thomas LCB and 2 youngsters together on the other side of him.

I actually think the fact that it seems to be a back 3 helps the less experienced develop. I think we as Charlton fans are so used to our players getting injured that we never feel comfortable unless we have 4 players for every position.

We MUST have a lb/lwb and a centre forward in before the start of the season, everything else can be biding their time till the right opportunities come along.
  • NabySarr said:

We need a striker and they need to be good enough to compete with Leaburn and May and be fit enough to start the season in 2 weeks (so need to have been doing a pre-season)

2 wing backs (at least one has to be left sided)

Once we have the above then we have at least 2 players for each position. Ideally we could strengthen further at CB and CM but the 3 above signings are the ones we really need to get right and the striker we need to get asap to start against Orient in 2 weeks time. Overall we are probably 5 signings away 

I would expect Campbell and CBT to continue to play as they have in pre-season at LWB for CBT and ST for TC. And having both then gives us the option of going 4-3-3 if needed 
    McGrandles is not a replacement for Dobson - he’s not a DCM and never has been.
  • Can we all check what we have written and then if need be write out 50 times EleREwe. You know who you are.
  • NabySarr said:
    I want Mitchell and Elewere to progress but wish it was one rather than both of them alongside Ness’ progress. I think we are going to be found out as soon as Hector and Jones have a spell on the sidelines and need a further senior CB beyond Thomas but in DH we trust.
    I’d keep Deji around, he’s looked good in pre-season and is comfortable on the left and right of the 3. I’d look to loan Mitchell out as he hasn’t played much men’s football yet so could maybe do with a ‘toughening up’ non-league loan which Deji has had a couple of. Then we could bring in another experienced centre back 
    Do we need to loan Mitchell out to bring in a experienced center half?  I don't get this obsession that anyone that isn't in the first choice 18-19 needs to be loaned out. 

We have an u21s for a reason.  Loans should be a finishing school for six, or so, months or get the slightly older ones playing football because we think they aren't there yet but can improve.

If all the center backs Deji would be the one, if any, I would be looking to loan out.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:
    I’d keep Deji around, he’s looked good in pre-season and is comfortable on the left and right of the 3. I’d look to loan Mitchell out as he hasn’t played much men’s football yet so could maybe do with a ‘toughening up’ non-league loan which Deji has had a couple of. Then we could bring in another experienced centre back 
    Do we need to loan Mitchell out to bring in a experienced center half?  I don't get this obsession that anyone that isn't in the first choice 18-19 needs to be loaned out. 

We have an u21s for a reason.  Loans should be a finishing school for six, or so, months or get the slightly older ones playing football because we think they aren't there yet but can improve.

If all the center backs Deji would be the one, if any, I would be looking to loan out.
    Deji has been loaned out a few times already. He's looked very decent in pre-season, maybe it's now his time to be part of the Matchday 18 .....?

• edited July 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:

Deji has been loaned out a few times already. He's looked very decent in pre-season, maybe it's now his time to be part of the Matchday 18 .....?

Well yeah that's what I mean, he either is or probably needs to go on loan.  Mitchell on the other hand would probably still benefit from a few not the pizza cup games and a season of u21s then re asses as winter approaches.  Which was my point. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    CBT is fine as a winger but I'd be very worried if we were going into even the Aberdeen game with him as the main LWB option. 
    By this point I think it’s unlikely any new wing backs will start the friendlies and first game of the season, they’ll most likely be given time to settle in.
  • Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    CBT is fine as a winger but I'd be very worried if we were going into even the Aberdeen game with him as the main LWB option. 
    By this point I think it’s unlikely any new wing backs will start the friendlies and first game of the season, they’ll most likely be given time to settle in.
    I don't know the likes of JRS and Cullen signed and started straight away.  It surely depends if they are match fit and what our options are?

A match fit striker must start the Orient game even if they come in on the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.  What choice have we got? 
  • Hope Anderson is seen as a fringe player and not someone we will rely on, even though judging by pre season he looks like he could play a big role!
  • Think left wing back is priority signing CBT not good enough to play this role defensively 
    It’s not that he’s not good enough, he’s just better in other positions where his assets are better used!
  • Problem with CBT not playing LWB is… where is he going to play then? He needs to be part of the XI. I think him playing LWB might be ok with a more defensive RWB and left footed CB behind him. Also he’s got the pace to track back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• CBT and Campbell I see as attacking options on the left* competing for the same role. Any tracking back is both unlikely and a waste of those players, but an occasional bonus if it happens.
    There needs to be a defensive enforcer behind those two.

*I say on the leftish side for Campbell because that’s where I’ve seen him most coming through, but he might develop further.
  • NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    CBT and Campbell I see as attacking options on the left* competing for the same role. Any tracking back is both unlikely and a waste of those players, but an occasional bonus if it happens.

*I say on the leftish side for Campbell because that’s where I’ve seen him most coming through, but he might develop further.
    I think Campbell is going to be used as a striker or playing just off a main striker this season. It’s not his best position but making him play wing back would be a waste of his talents
    I’m wondering who this switch to 352 really suits ? We don’t have ball playing centre halves , we don’t have enough strikers , we don’t have great full back/ wing back options 
  • wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    CBT and Campbell I see as attacking options on the left* competing for the same role. Any tracking back is both unlikely and a waste of those players, but an occasional bonus if it happens.

I think Campbell is going to be used as a striker or playing just off a main striker this season. It’s not his best position but making him play wing back would be a waste of his talents
    I’m wondering who this switch to 352 really suits ? We don’t have ball playing centre halves , we don’t have enough strikers , we don’t have great full back/ wing back options 
    But I’m sure the intention is that we will.
  • CBT told me in Marbella that the 3-5-2 will be fluid and attacking minded where as things stood there would be a lot of emphasis on attack down left. He acknowledged he was working on getting back but think we are going to have to see how it goes (unless an experienced LWB does come in).
  • If CBT has a role where he has to perform full defensive and attacking duties, the reality is that he will get injured after a few games. He isn't the most robust.
  • edited July 2023
    I think Millwall will show up the current gaps in our squad, similarly Aberdeen. I'll be disappointed if we don't have a left wing back and striker signed before Aberdeen, and ideally before Millwall as well. 

We're in the last 2 weeks of pre season, so shape and tactics should be what we're working on now.
    Maybe / Maybe not , but it will show up over the course of a season, lets be honest we've been playing tinpot oppo up to now, ts all been about minutes in the legs, the real tests are in the next 2 matches.
  • NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:

It suits May who is one of our best players but needs a strike partner, Cheltenham played 3-5-2. Camara and Fraser have also both played the best football of their careers in a 3-5-2 at Plymouth and MK. Hector and Jones are both good on the ball, and it’s much easier for Deji and Mitchell to step into a back 3 than it is a back 4 
    Absolutely this. A lot of Charlton fans seem to be anti 3-5-2. But the truth is, the majority of teams play this or a variation of three at the back. So most players are used to this formation. 
  • Can I just say......

the next 2 weeks are critical. 
    I thought you were critical every week golfie