Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    CBT and Campbell I see as attacking options on the left* competing for the same role. Any tracking back is both unlikely and a waste of those players, but an occasional bonus if it happens.
    There needs to be a defensive enforcer behind those two.

*I say on the leftish side for Campbell because that’s where I’ve seen him most coming through, but he might develop further.
    I think Campbell is going to be used as a striker or playing just off a main striker this season. It’s not his best position but making him play wing back would be a waste of his talents
    I’m wondering who this switch to 352 really suits ? We don’t have ball playing centre halves , we don’t have enough strikers , we don’t have great full back/ wing back options 
    It suits May who is one of our best players but needs a strike partner, Cheltenham played 3-5-2. Camara and Fraser have also both played the best football of their careers in a 3-5-2 at Plymouth and MK. Hector and Jones are both good on the ball, and it’s much easier for Deji and Mitchell to step into a back 3 than it is a back 4 
    Absolutely this. A lot of Charlton fans seem to be anti 3-5-2. But the truth is, the majority of teams play this or a variation of three at the back. So most players are used to this formation. 
    A lot if Charlton fans seem to have an aversion to anything that isn't 44 fing 2.  90% of the teams in the EFL play with 3, or even 4, center mids.  You have to get the extra one from somewhere.

• Yes I think 2 strikers is the way to go in this league - it’s impossible to find complete enough centre forwards to play only one with two wide forwards. 
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    wmcf123 said:
    NabySarr said:
    seth plum said:
    CBT and Campbell I see as attacking options on the left* competing for the same role. Any tracking back is both unlikely and a waste of those players, but an occasional bonus if it happens.
    There needs to be a defensive enforcer behind those two.

*I say on the leftish side for Campbell because that’s where I’ve seen him most coming through, but he might develop further.
    I think Campbell is going to be used as a striker or playing just off a main striker this season. It’s not his best position but making him play wing back would be a waste of his talents
    I’m wondering who this switch to 352 really suits ? We don’t have ball playing centre halves , we don’t have enough strikers , we don’t have great full back/ wing back options 
    It suits May who is one of our best players but needs a strike partner, Cheltenham played 3-5-2. Camara and Fraser have also both played the best football of their careers in a 3-5-2 at Plymouth and MK. Hector and Jones are both good on the ball, and it’s much easier for Deji and Mitchell to step into a back 3 than it is a back 4 
    Absolutely this. A lot of Charlton fans seem to be anti 3-5-2. But the truth is, the majority of teams play this or a variation of three at the back. So most players are used to this formation. 
    It's more that many Charlton fans are concerned about us playing 352 when we have a glut of wingers ideally suited to playing 433, and a lack of natural wingbacks. And don't have enough strikers to play 2 together.
  • A lot have said need 4-5 signings at least which I 100 agree with btw. Though I think LWB and a striker are the two we need asap and to not be squad signings but first 11. Now in that respect hopefully one will be Edun (two pals support Blackburn - weird I know, and say he will be excellent especially in league one) so then it’s the striker and I don’t see JCH as being something that would happen so then nombe (this autocorrected to bonne thank god I checked) has been mentioned other than that struggling to find a link to any other potentially available strikers. But wonder if any other Charlton life scouts have knowledge of championship strikers not playing or top league one or two strikers who may be on radar. Otherwise wonder if they will wait and step into risky prem kid loan striker market. 
  • https://twitter.com/footyinsider247/status/1683384017666600961?s=46&t=M7ornt3wMToLZDxCYJn8kg

Fairly sure he was linked to us last summer so there could still be interest there.
  • Scott Malone ex Millwall currently training at Gillingham is without a club would definitely do a good job at LB for us this season 
  • https://twitter.com/footyinsider247/status/1683384017666600961?s=46&t=M7ornt3wMToLZDxCYJn8kg

Fairly sure he was linked to us last summer so there could still be interest there.
    We don't need any more centre backs, and that's pretty much from the horse's mouth
  • sam3110 said:
    https://twitter.com/footyinsider247/status/1683384017666600961?s=46&t=M7ornt3wMToLZDxCYJn8kg

We don't need any more centre backs, and that's pretty much from the horse's mouth
    If we’re going to play a back 3 I’d still like to see one, preferably left footed. 
  • TeeC said:
    Yes I think 2 strikers is the way to go in this league - it’s impossible to find complete enough centre forwards to play only one with two wide forwards. 
    Little choice if May is one of the strikers.
  • Sponsored links:

Can't see another right footed centre back coming in.

Holden did say when talking about George Francis that there might be an opportunity for a left footed player.
  • sam3110 said:
    https://twitter.com/footyinsider247/status/1683384017666600961?s=46&t=M7ornt3wMToLZDxCYJn8kg

If we’re going to play a back 3 I’d still like to see one, preferably left footed. 
    Totally agree.

It was painful to watch O'Connell last season in that position. Having to try clearing with his wrong foot....but ultimately he had to get it onto his right before clearing/passing it. 
  • i wonder if with egbo being a bit less adventurous on the right you almost end up with a 442 with CBT pushing on and that's the fluidity 
    That’s the idea I think, but we really need a better LCB for this to work in my opinion. We need one more comfortable with playing left back, Thomas fits the bill but I’d rather have a better option 
  • A lopsided 3-5-2 was basically what Jackson was trying to do, with one winger (Leko, CBT, DJ) and one full back (Matthews, Purrington) as the 2 wing backs. But we had a squad even less suited and with less quality than we do now. Much more confident in it working now we have a midfield with Camara and Fraser in rather than Gilbey and Lee 

Lots of teams playing this system now and wingers that have been successful there so I’m less worried than others about having CBT as an option. He did pretty well there for Jackson
  • edited July 2023
    What ever two formations we play,(we know you have to be fluid) a left footed left back is mandatory for me/us and with more pace than Ben Purrington who had a decent spell at Cafc including the wing back role at Wembley scoring that 1st goal . It never works for Charlton to play a RB at LB. Sessegnon did ok but can't think of anyone else covering the LB position.
    Young fit Wiggins please show up soon.

Don't confuse with attacking players on their wrong side. Inverse forward/wide men can work if they have tricky feet but in defence rarely unless the opposition are useless.
  • NabySarr said:
    A lopsided 3-5-2 was basically what Jackson was trying to do, with one winger (Leko, CBT, DJ) and one full back (Matthews, Purrington) as the 2 wing backs. But we had a squad even less suited and with less quality than we do now. Much more confident in it working now we have a midfield with Camara and Fraser in rather than Gilbey and Lee 

Lots of teams playing this system now and wingers that have been successful there so I’m less worried than others about having CBT as an option. He did pretty well there for Jackson
    CBT is an option isn't much of a problem.  CBT as the only option is a problem. 

If we are going to play the way we did in the second half against Dartford we need a proper LCB/LB as well.

I suppose the gamble is are we building a squad that could get into the play offs or one it would be a failure if we didn't.  
  • edited July 2023
    i wonder if with egbo being a bit less adventurous on the right you almost end up with a 442 with CBT pushing on and that's the fluidity 
    I imagine that's exactly what is going to happen, that's why it looks like most of our plays have been down the left, CBT has had a lot of freedom. It's a strategy that definitely works, it allows a bit more fluidity and as long as our left centre back is switched on he can cover just fine. Assuming CBT is the man for that role, he's gonna need to work on his fitness. He undoubtedly has the pace for it, question marks for a full 90 up and down. 

If I'm honest 442 is a bit outdated (as a starting formation), I don't believe any top sides at club or international level play it (correct me if I am wrong) and we should be moving away from it as well. Defenders are more involved in the game now days and are expected to cover the midfield a bit more. 

I actually think we need a centre back with a bit more mobility and passing range who can cover the wings a bit quicker

Hector is the perfect middle centre back in a 3, intelligent, measured, confident and can pick a pass. Only seen Lloyd Jones once but he seems to be decent at going forwards and not as much of a slouch as previous centre backs we have had. With Ness I am still not sure, a lot of potential but I think he needs more time. 

The perfect centre back for us (at this level) would have been Regan Poole but unfortunately he has gone to Pompey, think we have missed a trick there 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    CBT is fine as a winger but I'd be very worried if we were going into even the Aberdeen game with him as the main LWB option. 
    By this point I think it’s unlikely any new wing backs will start the friendlies and first game of the season, they’ll most likely be given time to settle in.
    I don't know the likes of JRS and Cullen signed and started straight away.  It surely depends if they are match fit and what our options are?

A match fit striker must start the Orient game even if they come in on the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.  What choice have we got? 
    I don’t think we’ll see another striker join until deadline day when the likes of Exeter and Peterborough start to play ball on their asking price for Nombe and JCH respectively.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    CBT is fine as a winger but I'd be very worried if we were going into even the Aberdeen game with him as the main LWB option. 
    By this point I think it’s unlikely any new wing backs will start the friendlies and first game of the season, they’ll most likely be given time to settle in.
    I don't know the likes of JRS and Cullen signed and started straight away.  It surely depends if they are match fit and what our options are?

A match fit striker must start the Orient game even if they come in on the Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.  What choice have we got? 
    I don’t think we’ll see another striker join until deadline day when the likes of Exeter and Peterborough start to play ball on their asking price for Nombe and JCH respectively.
    Then we are in trouble.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Then we are in trouble.
    We only play 5 league games before the deadline so it's not the end of the world. If we have to wait and it means we then have 41 games with the striker we want then so be it. 

Although personally i feel we'll get someone in sooner. 
  • edited July 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Then we are in trouble.
    We only play 5 league games before the deadline so it's not the end of the world. If we have to wait and it means we then have 41 games with the striker we want then so be it. 

I think we might get one very soon AND get one later.  Really we do need two because we currently have two, one of which is injured, backed up by a crock, a kid and a couple of wingers and what ever Kirk is meant to be.

I am very confident that we will get they players in the positions that Holden wants but there is loads still to do and I can't get my head round, after the last 2 or 3 seasons that we only need one or two.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Then we are in trouble.

Yann Kermorgant didn't join us til mid September of that season.  We started with BWP, Paul Hayes and the returning Jason Euell (34yo).  Turned out OK tho
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Then we are in trouble.

Yann Kermorgant didn't join us til mid September of that season.  We started with BWP, Paul Hayes and the returning Jason Euell (34yo).  Turned out OK tho
    You forgot Benson!
  • sam3110 said:

Don’t disagree, it’s certainly not a priority but we did look at him last year. Not sure I’d be too comfortable if Hector or Jones got injured and we had a back 3 of teenagers. 
  • edited July 2023
    Billy_Mix said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Then we are in trouble.

Hayes had started the season fine but Yann Kermorgant was the X factor player but could've easily been another Ronnie Schwartz as Yann left Leicester after the failed Panenka in the play offs.

All down to Chris Powell who knew Yann at Leicester and took a punt.