Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Redhenry said:
    I'd sell McGrandles, DJ and maybe Kirk but he's played well in our friendlies. Would love to sell Chuks but can't see anyone taking him, so hopefully we can finally get his injury troubles sorted.

I hope we sign a RWB and a ST
    The club would love to sell those three, but nobody will pay a fee for them, I bet we are struggling to get them away on frees!
    We will probably have to pay a percentage of their salaries to lose them. I think we may decide to keep Kirk. IMHO

Can see us keeping Kirk until a forward comes in at least.
    Kirk is one of our weakest players I’ve ever seen, so flimsy it’s unreal…clearly didn’t want to get hurt last night, bottled everything which looks even worse in pink f**king boots 

No credit for the goal ?
  • Leuth said:
    All of you giving DJ the boot...sure, he's not set SE7 alight at any stage, but if we're playing 3-5-2, doesn't it make sense to have someone knocking around who credibly covers both wing-back positions?
    I seem to be in the minority with DJ which I can kind of understand why, but I actually think he did well in a wing back position when called upon. 
  • edited July 2023
    cafc_se7 said:
    Leuth said:
    All of you giving DJ the boot...sure, he's not set SE7 alight at any stage, but if we're playing 3-5-2, doesn't it make sense to have someone knocking around who credibly covers both wing-back positions?
    I seem to be in the minority with DJ which I can kind of understand why, but I actually think he did well in a wing back position when called upon. 
    I think DJ could be very effective in the right position for the right club/team. That said I'm not really sure we are that team nor does that position exist in the formation we seem to be favouring.

He's not good enough defensively to be wing back and we won't be playing much with wide forwards (where he probably would do quite well as a Henry/Rashford 'cutting in' attacker.)
  • thenewbie said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    Leuth said:
    I think DJ could be very effective in the right position for the right club/team. That said I'm not really sure we are that team nor does that position exist in the formation we seem to be favouring.

He's not good enough defensively to be wing back and we won't be playing much with wide forwards (where he probably would do quite well as a Henry/Rashford 'cutting in' attacker.)
    That club is almost certainly in league two. I'm not even sure he did that well when he went to Wimbledon, certainly don't recall hearing much about him there.
  • I confess to being quite old fashioned in that I like naturally left footed players on the left. I accept that they are rare and sometimes we need to adapt.It seems in the modern game wingers tend to cut inside so JRS was mainly used on the right.

I presume Edun is more of a left wing back, so I would like to see a left footed centre back come in who could fill in as a conventional left back in the style of Fox or Purrington if we do adapt in formation. Someone like Kell Watts at Newcastle has a good record at this level although he has also suffered injuries.

As referenced above maybe try to rope in a left footed winger. That is why Scott Banks would appeal to me. Being left footed is the main reason that I would retain Jack Payne. I see him as a good cover player for Fraser unless there is a better option available. I feel we have now moved up a level in terms of targets.

• Sponsored links:

• cazo said:
    Redhenry said:
    I'd sell McGrandles, DJ and maybe Kirk but he's played well in our friendlies. Would love to sell Chuks but can't see anyone taking him, so hopefully we can finally get his injury troubles sorted.

I hope we sign a RWB and a ST
    The club would love to sell those three, but nobody will pay a fee for them, I bet we are struggling to get them away on frees!
    We will probably have to pay a percentage of their salaries to lose them. I think we may decide to keep Kirk. IMHO

Can see us keeping Kirk until a forward comes in at least.
    Kirk is one of our weakest players I’ve ever seen, so flimsy it’s unreal…clearly didn’t want to get hurt last night, bottled everything which looks even worse in pink f**king boots 
    Spot on worse player in side get rid
    Not a fan then? :)
  • Personally think that Anderson and Asiimwe deserve a crack at the first team right now. Id loan Henry and Mitchell out for sure. 

As it looks like Taylor is heading in then imagine Anderson will go somewhere for 6 months but Asiimwe should be staying 100%. 
    Anderson definitely, Asiimwe possibly. 
  • Unless there’s an injury crisis I’d be using both off the bench in games where we’re winning comfortably. Drip feed them into the first team. We don’t want to pile pressure on either. 
  • Unless there’s an injury crisis I’d be using both off the bench in games where we’re winning comfortably. Drip feed them into the first team. We don’t want to pile pressure on either. 
    I doubt they’ll play more than 5 times then! 😉
  • sam3110 said:
    FWIW 'Kirky' is loved by a lot of his peers in football.

I'm sure there's not that many true dickheads in football who isn't liked by most of their teammates, but he seems to have a good rapport within the squad and with ex teammates too, and is seen as a good person to have around the place.

I hope it works out for him here
    Most certainly not always been the case. He may have grown up a bit but it was entirely different before.
  • I value everybody's right to have an opinion about who should stay and who should go, but I think I will take the easy way out and wait and see what DH thinks and does 🤔
  • Sage said:
    I think people know my thoughts on Kirk and despite him scoring yesterday, we often look like we are playing with 10 men when he’s on the pitch. I think Millwall thought so too hence him coming in unmarked to make it 2-0 last night.

I’ve previously said my peace on this matter but I stand by that we won’t get promoted with Kirk in the team.

DJ, Kirk, Henry, Chin, and Kanu all need to be playing their football elsewhere this season. The latter 3 on loan, although I don’t think Chin will make it at this level.

With Taylor coming in and Anderson taking his chance, so pleased with that, it looks less likely McGrandles will be involved, especially as we have Payne who I think Holden much prefers.

There’s going to be movement and as long it’s in the areas that we know we need to shift, and we bring in at least one striker and another winger, I don’t think we’d be too far away.

For me it’s something like this…

Isted, AMB

Egbo, Asiimwe
    Jones, Hector, Ness, Thomas, Elerewe, Mitchell
    Edun, (New - Sess?)

Dobson, Camara, Fraser, Taylor, Payne, Anderson, (McGrandles?)

CBT, Campbell, (New?)

Leaburn, May, Aneke, (New?), (New - Can also play wide?)
    Why bother listing Aneke. Won’t be available for more than 10 sub apps. Also I think Sess is a no go. Injured again. Would be good to get a more experienced cb in and send Mitchell on a loan I think 
  • Sage said:
    I think people know my thoughts on Kirk and despite him scoring yesterday, we often look like we are playing with 10 men when he’s on the pitch. I think Millwall thought so too hence him coming in unmarked to make it 2-0 last night.

I’ve previously said my peace on this matter but I stand by that we won’t get promoted with Kirk in the team.

DJ, Kirk, Henry, Chin, and Kanu all need to be playing their football elsewhere this season. The latter 3 on loan, although I don’t think Chin will make it at this level.

With Taylor coming in and Anderson taking his chance, so pleased with that, it looks less likely McGrandles will be involved, especially as we have Payne who I think Holden much prefers.

There’s going to be movement and as long it’s in the areas that we know we need to shift, and we bring in at least one striker and another winger, I don’t think we’d be too far away.

Isted, AMB

Egbo, Asiimwe
    Edun, (New - Sess?)

CBT, Campbell, (New?)

Disagree about chin. Out of Kanu, Henry and him I'd say he has a higher chance of making it at this level unless he's played out of position as a left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

Isted, AMB

Egbo, Asiimwe
    Edun, (New - Sess?)

CBT, Campbell, (New?)

Agreed on McGrandles, he hasn't featured prominently in pre-season, and he's been deployed in different midfield roles. But Anderson and Henry along with the others have gotten more minutes in roles they're better suited to than McGrandles, and it makes me think he won't be here September 1. I feel like it could be another loan with him in the hopes that he either increases his value, or finds form and comes back in January, but I suspect Holden is happy to move on from him. And agree that Holden clearly prefers Payne and feels Payne can do the things McGrandles can do, and more. I agree with him, though I feel like when Payne is played as an 8 we don't see the best of him. He can put in a shift, but I'm hoping that Camara and Taylor take on that role so Payne can focus more on being an attacking midfielder.

Agree about Chin, needs a loan and I don't think he'll make it at this level. Already said Kanu desperately needs a loan, and with the depth we have in midfield it should allow Henry to go out on loan for the first half, which he really needs.

I am holding out hopes for Sess. I think he would massively boost our FB options, can play on either side, and I'm hoping he had surgery over the summer to fix the knee issue that bothered him last season.

Two more up top would be great, including one who can play wide. I suspect at least one and maybe both will be loans. 
  • I'm holding out hope that both Kirk and McGrandles are able to flourish here under DH, as we have never seen either play as well as they did for their former clubs and we bought them both for a reason. As for DJ, well I just don't think that he has what it takes even to be an impactful squad player for us; especially given the raising of the bar with our new acquisitions.  It may be for budgetary reasons, they will all be moved on; we don't know the status of our player budget (which is for the best as our rivals would then have the edge on us in any transfer dealings) and it could be a big factor here.  Or not!

However, whatever DH decides to do, I'll trust his judgement he sees them day to day in training and he will also know if they fit into his formations or whether they are a square peg in a round hole.
  • Sage said:

Isted, AMB

Egbo, Asiimwe
    Edun, (New - Sess?)

CBT, Campbell, (New?)

Isn't playing that many people against the rules?
  • Some tough decisions to make 
    I like the players he has brought in and Priority for any more signings had to be a Striker
    If/when we offload - does he keep Kirk McGrandles over the likes of Mitchell Anderson Henry
    How big a squad do we need

IMO - still not seen enough of Mcrandles and I think Dean is still not sue about Kirk

Either way we are in a much stronger position than recent seasons which can only be good

Onwards and Upwards⚽️
  • Sage said:
    sam3110 said:

I'm sure there's not that many true dickheads in football who isn't liked by most of their teammates, but he seems to have a good rapport within the squad and with ex teammates too, and is seen as a good person to have around the place.

Most certainly not always been the case. He may have grown up a bit but it was entirely different before.
    I thought this. Am sure sure I had heard quite the opposite from the original post.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:

I thought this. Am sure sure I had heard quite the opposite from the original post.
    Able to elaborate? Quite interested to hear more on this now
  • Cawley saying Taylor is done