Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Someone like Andy Hunt would be perfect. Very much an all round striker for us. Like hens teeth though.
  • thenewbie said:
    There's a young striker doing well at West Ham in preseason (and has a couple of caps for NI already), Callum Marshall who's been linked with being loaned out.

Could be a useful loan as a fourth striker if we go for one - low cost, low risk as an extra option.

I still expect us to only sign one more stiker though.

What kind of striker is he? I think if we genuinely are only going for one more striker it needs be a link up type a la Kermorgant or Burton. My money is still on two more strikers personally, one permanent and one loanee (probably a "versatile" one.)
    https://youtu.be/wttcROjrkOE

He's only young, so he wouldn't be a Kenmorgant type.

Definitely wouldn't go for him as the one other striker, but if we were to want 4 for 2 places he could be the other one!
  • Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    If we were going to pay £1m for a striker in this league I think i'd rather have Clarke-Harris
    The thing is the owners will look at Nombe (24 years old) and see potential there and the room for improvement. If he did well for us he could be worth a few million in 2-3 years if we're in the championship.

JCH is 29 and whilst he pretty much guarantees 25 goals a season, there wouldn't be any sell on value as he'll be the wrong side of 30 soon.

So it's a tricky one. Guaranteed goals from JCH versus Nombe who has a higher ceiling in terms of career potential.
    JCH is likely to cost more than £1m as well. I’d go with Nombe but wouldn’t pay 7 figures for him. Surely we can find another for £500-700k that the selling team isn’t asking for too much on? 
    I posted last seasons L1 top scorers on here yesterday - there really aren’t many to choose from after you rule out those at similar sized or bigger clubs, and those who scored less than 15.

From L2 someone mentioned Armstrong but I think most of the others were older players who wouldn’t necessarily be good enough.

Championship players out of favour is an option but if older they won’t have the sell on value and may want a bigger wage.

I agree with the post about us needing a Kermorgant/Burton link up player. I’d say that type of player is less likely to be a Prem loan as they need a combination of strength, technique and intelligence which usually only comes from experienced players.
    I’m not sure Holden wants that exact type of player. He definitely wants someone physical who can hold the ball up, but he wants players with pace to run in behind and able to press. Nombe fits that bill perfectly. 

Surely there’s a prem U23 out there that is similar build to Leaburn who has size and strength but also enough pace to be a threat in behind and press? 
  • it's a real shame we missed out on Smith.
    Yep. The timing was perfect too
  • Chunes said:
    Could finally be time for Andy Delort
    We've missed out again, he's gone to Qatar!!
  • Sam Smith....13 in 45 last season and 15 in 46 the season before. 1 assist each season. 

I love how some players turn into being the great savior on CL!
  • mendonca said:
    Sam Smith....13 in 45 last season and 15 in 46 the season before. 1 assist each season. 

What do you think of Smith's all round game?
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Sam Smith....13 in 45 last season and 15 in 46 the season before. 1 assist each season. 

What do you think of Smith's all round game?
    He didn't stand out to me against Innis last season in both home and away games. Admittedly, aside from these games, I've not followed him too closely.
  • NabySarr said:
    It’s refreshing to see Charlton being linked with players who will cost a few bob.

It’s been a good few years with so much optimism going into the new season .
    Tbf we spent nearly £2m combined on Lavelle, Kirk, Stockley and Jaiyesimi. It’s refreshing to see us being linked with good players 
    With any luck all 4 will be distant memories come start of the season although I fear at least one probably Kirk will still be around.
  • mendonca said:

"Great saviour" or "Good signing"?
  • ButtleJR said:
    mendonca said:
    I'd avoid JCH, on the basis that he looks like a knob.
    Looks do not deceive in this instance. Wouldn't surprise me if he's waiting for Man City to make a formal approach. 
    How's the last neck-tattooed former Peterborough player known to be "high maintenance" doing?

Ah, wait....  :#
  • So if there is not really anyone else shouldn't we just pay the 1mio odd for Nombe? Not saying we should necessarily,  interested in everyone's views.
  • WHAddick said:
    So if there is not really anyone else shouldn't we just pay the 1mio odd for Nombe? Not saying we should necessarily,  interested in everyone's views.
    I think there will be a few Championship strikers available for loan that we should investigate before paying too much for Nombe. Ladapo is currently only still at Ipswich because they haven’t yet got their striker targets. I think that’s the scenario we should be looking at.
  • edited July 2023
    WHAddick said:
    So if there is not really anyone else shouldn't we just pay the 1mio odd for Nombe? Not saying we should necessarily,  interested in everyone's views.
    No, not if we don't value him at that figure, Exeter will eventually see sense and negotiate a realistic figure, he could leave for free next year so at some time they need to wake up and smell the coffee, assuming we are still interested if that ever happens...
  • WHAddick said:
    No idea if there is anyone else decent and available.

Hopefully Andy Scott and the scouts do though.
  • Sponsored links:

• WHAddick said:
    No, not if we don't value him at that figure, Exeter will eventually see sense and negotiate a realistic figure, he could leave for free next year, so at some time they need to wake up and smell the coffee, if we are still interested if that ever happens...
    Agree. I think Exeter will hold firm and have to think again in January. 
  • edited July 2023
    WHAddick said:
    Transfer fees mean nothing to us as the fanbase of this club. No matter how big or small it won't influence the sustainability at this level. So from our perspective as fans, we can just hope the owners spend as much as possible until they get bored of the losses.
  • WHAddick said:
    No, not if we don't value him at that figure, Exeter will eventually see sense and negotiate a realistic figure, he could leave for free next year, so at some time they need to wake up and smell the coffee, if we are still interested if that ever happens...
    Agree. I think Exeter will hold firm and have to think again in January. 
    I think most clubs would buckle if a firm approach unsettles a player as his heart would no longer be in it. We've been in that situation for sure.
    We can't know what Nombe's mindset is just now, but can certainly understand Exeter trying to keep hold of him but get the impression that they are just looking to up the price.
    My guess is that he will be gone this window.
  • I never thought Dack was realistic.
  • WHAddick said:
    At a guess I think there will be 10's  maybe 20 other options. Some will be free. Whether they are as good , or maybe even better is another matter. A good loan from Premiership can transform a team/season- eg JRS
  • WHAddick said:
    No, not if we don't value him at that figure, Exeter will eventually see sense and negotiate a realistic figure, he could leave for free next year so at some time they need to wake up and smell the coffee, assuming we are still interested if that ever happens...
    Not necessarily. If they’ve lost a lot of players and can’t afford to replace them they might decide it’s better for them financially and reputationally to hold out for the fee they need to rebuild or keep him, give themselves a realistic chance of staying up and then lose him for free in the summer as a L1 team. Essentially what Morecambe tried to do with Stockton (not that he helped them with that!) A few hundred thousand might be worth a lot less to them than survival 
  • AndyG said:
    WHAddick said:
    Transfer fees mean nothing to us as the fanbase of this club. No matter how big or small it won't influence the sustainability at this level. So from our perspective as fans, we can just hope the owners spend as much as possible until they get bored of the losses.
    Absolutely not this. The owners need to run the club properly. Not throw stupid money down the drain just because they can. Spend what you have wisely and have in place people who know what they are doing.
    TS is a good example of this. Nobody can accuse him of not spending money, £500k for Kirk etc. Its just the money was spent badly when you look at what that money can actually buy at our level
    The problem was who was advising him about which players to get in, using his son who has no experience was the worst decision he could have made, as well as appointing his partner to be HR, illegally. He deserves all the money he lost
  • ross1 said:
    AndyG said:
    WHAddick said:
    Absolutely not this. The owners need to run the club properly. Not throw stupid money down the drain just because they can. Spend what you have wisely and have in place people who know what they are doing.
    TS is a good example of this. Nobody can accuse him of not spending money, £500k for Kirk etc. Its just the money was spent badly when you look at what that money can actually buy at our level
    The problem was who was advising him about which players to get in, using his son who has no experience was the worst decision he could have made, as well as appointing his partner to be HR, illegally. He deserves all the money he lost
    Yes - he missed a big opportunity there ;-)

There would be one current employee who would now be an ex-employee though - maybe I would have just done that and then resigned!