Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• WHAddick said:
    So if there is not really anyone else shouldn't we just pay the 1mio odd for Nombe? Not saying we should necessarily,  interested in everyone's views.
    No, not if we don't value him at that figure, Exeter will eventually see sense and negotiate a realistic figure, he could leave for free next year so at some time they need to wake up and smell the coffee, assuming we are still interested if that ever happens...
    Not necessarily. If they’ve lost a lot of players and can’t afford to replace them they might decide it’s better for them financially and reputationally to hold out for the fee they need to rebuild or keep him, give themselves a realistic chance of staying up and then lose him for free in the summer as a L1 team. Essentially what Morecambe tried to do with Stockton (not that he helped them with that!) A few hundred thousand might be worth a lot less to them than survival 
    So pinning all their hopes on survival on to Nombe, sounds all very idealistic, realistically they could get relegated and lose him for nowt, surely money in the bank now that could be put to more use getting some players that actually want to play for Exeter makes more sense, it seems that Nombe wants out, no point having a disgruntled player around the place is there...
  • If we were going to pay £1m for a striker in this league I think i'd rather have Clarke-Harris
    Problem is Peterbro want twice that amount 
  • I reckon we meet Exeter close to halfway at some point soon, 750k upfront and another 250k on promotion would seal it IMO
  • We need 3 forwards all firing and competing with eachother. This is where the Aneke situation is becoming quite frustrating for even the most patient/considerate. 
  • edited July 2023
    Stansfield of Fulham on loan at Exeter last season being suggested as an option by the 72;
    https://the72.co.uk/2023/07/28/opinion-charlton-athletic-should-turn-attention-to-fulham-as-league-one-rivals-pursuit-stalls/
  • edited July 2023
    sam3110 said:
    I reckon we meet Exeter close to halfway at some point soon, 750k upfront and another 250k on promotion would seal it IMO
    I am not sure if that too much though, I've even seen some of their fans say 500k is acceptable.

I think we still need another centre back of Hector's quality and with a bit of pace, we need a versatile forward who play across the line, imagine if we spend 750k on one player that's it. 

Out of all the players mentioned on here he does seem the best and most realistic option, sort of how May was before we got him. 

I'd love to see if they're willing to take a couple of our players on loan and a decent fee, we need to trim so it makes sense 
  • edited July 2023
    NabySarr said:
    Scoham said:
    NabySarr said:
    If we were going to pay £1m for a striker in this league I think i'd rather have Clarke-Harris
    The thing is the owners will look at Nombe (24 years old) and see potential there and the room for improvement. If he did well for us he could be worth a few million in 2-3 years if we're in the championship.

JCH is 29 and whilst he pretty much guarantees 25 goals a season, there wouldn't be any sell on value as he'll be the wrong side of 30 soon.

So it's a tricky one. Guaranteed goals from JCH versus Nombe who has a higher ceiling in terms of career potential.
    JCH is likely to cost more than £1m as well. I’d go with Nombe but wouldn’t pay 7 figures for him. Surely we can find another for £500-700k that the selling team isn’t asking for too much on? 
    I posted last seasons L1 top scorers on here yesterday - there really aren’t many to choose from after you rule out those at similar sized or bigger clubs, and those who scored less than 15.

From L2 someone mentioned Armstrong but I think most of the others were older players who wouldn’t necessarily be good enough.

Championship players out of favour is an option but if older they won’t have the sell on value and may want a bigger wage.

I agree with the post about us needing a Kermorgant/Burton link up player. I’d say that type of player is less likely to be a Prem loan as they need a combination of strength, technique and intelligence which usually only comes from experienced players.
    I’m not sure Holden wants that exact type of player. He definitely wants someone physical who can hold the ball up, but he wants players with pace to run in behind and able to press. Nombe fits that bill perfectly. 

Surely there’s a prem U23 out there that is similar build to Leaburn who has size and strength but also enough pace to be a threat in behind and press? 
    I agree, the difficulty is finding a player like that who’s genuinely good at holding up the ball and also a goal threat.

If it’s their first loan you’re gambling on both.
  • RedChaser said:
    Stansfield of Fulham on loan at Exeter last season being suggested as an option by the 72;
    https://the72.co.uk/2023/07/28/opinion-charlton-athletic-should-turn-attention-to-fulham-as-league-one-rivals-pursuit-stalls/
    Is Stansfield actually any good? He scored 1/3 of his season's goals in one game on the final day when there's very little to play for.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's been no indication that Sam Nombe wants out at Exeter, he hasn't submitted a transfer request or made his feelings public. 

The only things we know as fact are: 

- We have an interest in Nombe and have had a bid rejected of approximately £500,000

- Exeter aren't refusing to sell Nombe, just that they value him at the price of £1,200,000

It's just now down to how much we think Sam Nombe is worth and what we can afford to part with. You have to imagine if we do end up upping our bid, that will empty the transfer kitty, are we strong enough everywhere else to afford that luxury?
    Surely the fact that he hasn't signed a contract extension with 1 year left is a fairly big indication? 
    A fair number of our players only have a year left, doesn't mean they want out right now

It's not like he's refused to train is missing games or expressed the desire to leave. I imagine like most he has it in the back of his mind that he is in an advantageous position if he doesn't sign a contract with Exeter, that's all
  • stansfield is a lightweight striker in the May mould.
    maybe on loan as cover but we need a tougher centre forward in the Smith, Nombe, JCH mould I think. 
  • I don’t think Nombe is unhappy at Exeter at all. It’s just that both him and his agent know that once he’s contract has run down he’ll be going elsewhere. That or he’s bought by a bigger club before then. Bigger challenge and more money. He’s 24 I think. He’s probably got two decent upward moves (minimum) in him at this point. No disrespect to Exeter but they lose him now for money or within the year for nothing. He’s not staying. The previous business Exeter have done suggests to me that they’re not desperate for money but equally they’ll be well aware that they could lose him for nothing. God forbid for the player he gets an injury around Christmas. That might stop any sale Exeter want and then he walks for zip. 
  • The fact that Exeter have to pay 35% of the fee to MK Dons (according to their local press) is obviously a major consideration for them. The asking price is very likely to come down towards the end of next month, as they’ll be lucky to get £500K for the player in January unless he pulls up trees in the first half of the season and generates Championship interest. They may, of course, just be willing to let his contract run down if it helps preserve their League 1 status.

Do we know when the Premier League clubs have to declare their squads ?
  • edited July 2023
    RedChaser said:
    Is Stansfield actually any good? He scored 1/3 of his season's goals in one game on the final day when there's very little to play for.
    I’ve never seen him play but England u18 & u20 youth international Reading seemed to think so before the embargo on them 🤷‍♂️
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I’ve never seen him play but England u18 & u20 youth international Reading seemed to think so before the embargo on them 🤷‍♂️
    He was impressive for Exeter he fact I think he stood out lot more against us over two games then Smith of Cambridge but he is very lightweight and his goalscoring not great 
  • RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    He was impressive for Exeter he fact I think he stood out lot more against us over two games then Smith of Cambridge but he is very lightweight and his goalscoring not great 
    He’s got the pedigree and sounds more of an Ademola Lookman who can play across the front, than a hold up target man who can get in behind. I seem to recall a few on here singing his praises last season as a player we should go for although perhaps not now that we’ve signed Alfie May. Still apart from his 9 goals he had 8 assists which wasn’t a bad return in 39 appearances.
  • 9 goals 8 assists in his first season in the EFL isn't a bad return at all. But I don't think he's the right type of player for what we need. 
  • WHAddick said:
    So if there is not really anyone else shouldn't we just pay the 1mio odd for Nombe? Not saying we should necessarily,  interested in everyone's views.
    No, not if we don't value him at that figure, Exeter will eventually see sense and negotiate a realistic figure, he could leave for free next year so at some time they need to wake up and smell the coffee, assuming we are still interested if that ever happens...
    Not necessarily. If they’ve lost a lot of players and can’t afford to replace them they might decide it’s better for them financially and reputationally to hold out for the fee they need to rebuild or keep him, give themselves a realistic chance of staying up and then lose him for free in the summer as a L1 team. Essentially what Morecambe tried to do with Stockton (not that he helped them with that!) A few hundred thousand might be worth a lot less to them than survival 
    So pinning all their hopes on survival on to Nombe, sounds all very idealistic, realistically they could get relegated and lose him for nowt, surely money in the bank now that could be put to more use getting some players that actually want to play for Exeter makes more sense, it seems that Nombe wants out, no point having a disgruntled player around the place is there...
    Not idealistic at all, practical. As I said, they may feel that there's a minimum amount that they need to replace the players they've lost, including Nombe. If we're offering £500k but they're positive that they need £1m because there's a load of players that need replacing including a 15 goal striker, then it might be financially less viable to sell and all but guarantee relegation because you can't afford to get a compeittive enough squad in than it is to keep the player and at least hope he gets another strong goal return. Exeter have lost 9 players permanently and 4 loans have ended. 7 of their top 11 appearance makers from last season have gone. Of their top 5 goalscorers last season only Nombe remains. They scored 64 goals last season, 38 of those goals came from players no longer there and 15 came from Nombe. That's almost the entirety of the goals they managed last season gone if they let Nombe go, of the ones that would remain the highest goalscorer got 3. All three of their strikers will be gone and so far the only striker they've signed in replacement played 20 games for Barnsley last season and scored 3 goals (and 10 for Motherwell with 0 goals). The question to be asked would be how disgruntled Nombe is; if he's fuming and disruptive then it can backfire, if he accepts he's staying and goes the next season then there might not be an issue. In the end they'll be weighing up what the least they can get for Nombe is to offset the goals they lose by letting him go, and if we don't meet that the value of him staying may outweigh the hit of losing him for free next season. It would be a practical decision for them to weigh up looking at the market. If they manage to unearth a brilliant striker for £100k though then they may think they can get less for Nombe and be alright. The market will decide.
  • Sponsored links:

• More interested in rumours on who is leaving atm as if the update is to be believed, some have to move on before we further rebuild. Am hoping the likes of DJ and a few youngsters leave on loan by early next week, as no doubt we need another natural forward alongside May from the off. No point trying to play catch up imho, let’s hit the ground running this season!
  • edited July 2023
    WHAddick said:
    Not idealistic at all, practical. As I said, they may feel that there's a minimum amount that they need to replace the players they've lost, including Nombe. If we're offering £500k but they're positive that they need £1m because there's a load of players that need replacing including a 15 goal striker, then it might be financially less viable to sell and all but guarantee relegation because you can't afford to get a compeittive enough squad in than it is to keep the player and at least hope he gets another strong goal return. Exeter have lost 9 players permanently and 4 loans have ended. 7 of their top 11 appearance makers from last season have gone. Of their top 5 goalscorers last season only Nombe remains. They scored 64 goals last season, 38 of those goals came from players no longer there and 15 came from Nombe. That's almost the entirety of the goals they managed last season gone if they let Nombe go, of the ones that would remain the highest goalscorer got 3. All three of their strikers will be gone and so far the only striker they've signed in replacement played 20 games for Barnsley last season and scored 3 goals (and 10 for Motherwell with 0 goals). The question to be asked would be how disgruntled Nombe is; if he's fuming and disruptive then it can backfire, if he accepts he's staying and goes the next season then there might not be an issue. In the end they'll be weighing up what the least they can get for Nombe is to offset the goals they lose by letting him go, and if we don't meet that the value of him staying may outweigh the hit of losing him for free next season. It would be a practical decision for them to weigh up looking at the market. If they manage to unearth a brilliant striker for £100k though then they may think they can get less for Nombe and be alright. The market will decide.
    Looks like you have done your in depth homework on Exeter mate, the line between idealistic and practical is very thin, but, as you say, let the market decide, still feel that he will depart this window...
  • There's a young striker doing well at West Ham in preseason (and has a couple of caps for NI already), Callum Marshall who's been linked with being loaned out.

Could be a useful loan as a fourth striker if we go for one - low cost, low risk as an extra option.

I still expect us to only sign one more stiker though.

Similar size to May. Robbed of a first international goal by VAR.
  • sam3110 said:
    I reckon we meet Exeter close to halfway at some point soon, 750k upfront and another 250k on promotion would seal it IMO
    I am not sure if that too much though, I've even seen some of their fans say 500k is acceptable.

I think we still need another centre back of Hector's quality and with a bit of pace, 

Yes, he’s one of the players you desperately don’t want to get injured in the opening games. With him out for half the season we’d be very weakened as things stand. Perhaps applies to May as well. 
  • PopIcon said:
    At least one of these players will be the 2023 Ajose.
    It's hard to belive Ajose played more pro games for us than any other club.
    Played 42 times for us, and 69 times for Swindon 
    I should have been more clear, his had three spells at Swindon. I don't think in any one of those he made more than 42 appearances.
  • Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    Someone like Andy Hunt would be perfect. Very much an all round striker for us. Like hens teeth though.
    I disagree SHG.  He’s now 53 and runs a retreat in Belize.  
    I'd keep him as a squad player. 
    More mobile than Chuks I would imagine, even at 53.
  • Centre back is an interesting one, we don't want to potentially stunt the development of Elerewe etc, but we're one injury to Hector, Ness, Jones (and they've all had recent injuries or injury issues in the past) from Thomas maybe playing 40 odd games.
  • WHAddick said:
    Looks like you have done your in depth homework on Exeter mate, the line between idealistic and practical is very thin, but, as you say, let the market decide.
    Definitely. Get it right and you're a sensibly run business, get it wrong and you're an idiot who threw good money away for nothing