Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• We will still bring a few in. In the meantime, I think we have a decent chance of beating Orient with what we have.
    Now that's what you call ambition. 
    Yeah. I'd rather we concentrated on the here and now thanks - aim to win each game as it comes each week. Getting a good start to the season should be everyone's ambition and i'd much prefer we all kept our feet on the ground for a long 46 game season. 
  • Important week because we need to get some players out the door.I suspect it’s obvious who we want to move on permanently but I’m guessing there are players we want to find loans for too. If it’s necessary to get these moves done before we bring anyone else in then this week takes on even greater significance. We are desperate for a striker to support May. 
  • When we went up under Bowyer we had trouble fielding a full team against Sunderand in the first game. We are in a much better position now and the club have said we will be signing more players. Orient lost to Colchester yesterday.
    Plus they only drew with Dageham and Billericay they have had  a poor pre season.. but still makes them a dangerous first game 

• edited July 2023
    Ideally, we’ll bring in another LWB, a RWB and someone that can cover both sides (Sess would be ideal if fit), a CF, CB and an attacking midfielder.

If we can bring in those 6 (some of which can be loans), we should look to lose the following:

Egbo, DJ, Kirk, McG, Payne

and send some of the youngsters out on loan (eg Mitchell).
  • When we went up under Bowyer we had trouble fielding a full team against Sunderand in the first game. We are in a much better position now and the club have said we will be signing more players. Orient lost to Colchester yesterday.
    Its a good point although on the other hand we started with Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant up front and for the first 20mins I could not quite believe what I was watching. 

Wnen the position you are most short in is up front, it’s a huge problem. 
    It is a long season and it would be worth waiting for the right player.
    If we sign the loan player this week I doubt he will be ready to go straight into the side so it is what it is for the first few games.
  • Leuth said:
    When we went up under Bowyer we had trouble fielding a full team against Sunderand in the first game. We are in a much better position now and the club have said we will be signing more players. Orient lost to Colchester yesterday.
    #garnerball
    and Charlton drew with Orient a few weeks back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It goes against modern thinking but if you sign a player who is fit why not play them?
    Is it that complicated when the aim is to win and your new teammates are wearing the same coloured shirt as you?
    They get paid well enough so why the bedding in the mollycoddling and the theory test?
    Sign them, play them.
  • seth plum said:
    It goes against modern thinking but if you sign a player who is fit why not play them?
    Is it that complicated when the aim is to win and your new teammates are wearing the same coloured shirt as you?
    They get paid well enough so why the bedding in the mollycoddling and the theory test?
    Sign them, play them.
    Difference between fit and match fit. That’s the issue with Edun and Taylor I think.
  • seth plum said:
    It goes against modern thinking but if you sign a player who is fit why not play them?
    Sign them, play them.
    Difference between fit and match fit. That’s the issue with Edun and Taylor I think.
    Yeah, that kind of thing has been the constant refrain in football for a number of years, but can you get match fit without playing matches?
    Either way from now on it is all meaningful matches, so if they’re fit enough to last 90 minutes, bed them in by playing them.
  • edited July 2023
    When we went up under Bowyer we had trouble fielding a full team against Sunderand in the first game. We are in a much better position now and the club have said we will be signing more players. Orient lost to Colchester yesterday.
    Its a good point although on the other hand we started with Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant up front and for the first 20mins I could not quite believe what I was watching. 

100%. I think it has been said that Grant was meant to be back-up to Igor that season, but Igor injured in pre-season. 

The missing piece of the puzzle and most expensive piece of the puzzle. There is only one way to resolve the problem and that is spending the money to buy one. If we don’t get a decent striker we won’t get promoted. It’s a black and white as that for me. 
  • Ideally, we’ll bring in another LWB, a RWB and someone that can cover both sides (Sess would be ideal if fit), a CF, CB and an attacking midfielder.

If we can bring in those 6 (some of which can be loans), we should look to lose the following:

I don't think Egbo will get moved on, not yet anyway. No chance we sign another 3 wing backs on top of having Asiimwe, Egbo, Edun and having the options of Blackett-Taylor who Holden seems committed to trying out, and Thomas being able to play left back if we play a back 4 too. 

I can't see us being able to sell both Payne and McGrandles and even with another midfielder signing you need 6 minimum in that area, and the 6 now is Dobson, Fraser, McGrandles, Taylor, Camara and Payne, with Henry going on loan I imagine. 

Left footed centre back and a physical striker is what I want to see more than anything, however if Holden thinks the current centre backs are good enough and it was just a bad day at the office then we'll have to stick by them. 

True if you don't score goals but I think we will score goals even as we are now. We do need another striker but it isn't panic stations.
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Sign them, play them.
    Yeah, that kind of thing has been the constant refrain in football for a number of years, but can you get match fit without playing matches?
    Either way from now on it is all meaningful matches, so if they’re fit enough to last 90 minutes, bed them in by playing them.
    Have them play a terrible 90 because they weren’t ready, all the fans jump on their back because they’re clearly ‘awful’ and ‘not good enough’.

Maybe we just wait till the manager thinks they’re ready and can do themselves justice.
  • Sponsored links:

• If we don't sign another forward in time for Orient then I think we should revert to 433 and play CBT and Campbell up alongside May - we don't have anyone available to play alongside May in a front 2. Don't want to see yet another season of square pegs in round holes - CBT is no wing back and Kirk/DJ/Campbell are not right as front 2 partners for May.

It's disappointing that we go into the first game without a complete first eleven yet again, said it before but if we have to persist with a transfer window it would make sense it closing before the start of the season rather than 1 month in.
    If Thomas starts at LCB it can pretty much be that anyway even in the 3-5-2
  • RC_CAFC said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Sign them, play them.
    Have them play a terrible 90 because they weren’t ready, all the fans jump on their back because they’re clearly ‘awful’ and ‘not good enough’.

Maybe we just wait till the manager thinks they’re ready and can do themselves justice.
    McGrandles 2.0
  • seth plum said:
    Sign them, play them.
    Isn't preseason a perfect time to get players match fit. There would have been no harm in having both new signings on the bench and giving them 20-30 mins each
    I'm pretty sure if they could've done that then they would have. We need all players fit and ready asap so there's no way we kept them out unless it was felt necessary.

I've no idea how far off fitness they are, (i thought i read Taylor was recovering from an injury) but maybe they'll play in a behind closed doors friendly or an U21 game soon.
  • Be interesting how we sell the club to a new striker as we already have 3. Leaburn and Aneke should/might be fit in September to play alongside May so where does that leave the new striker?
    Waiting for the next injury - should be about 20 minutes.
  • Ideally, we’ll bring in another LWB, a RWB and someone that can cover both sides (Sess would be ideal if fit), a CF, CB and an attacking midfielder.

Again why Payne again yesterday come on a created a chance for Kanu... We need a squad you can't lose Egbo Payne and Kirk 

Again why Payne again yesterday come on a created a chance for Kanu... We need a squad you can't lose Egbo Payne and Kirk 
    Yes but Kirk always comes on and does nothing.
  • just a thought after Cawley’s story the other day about our bid for Nombe earlier in the window. Do you think that we were lining him up as a possible replacement for Leaburn, until he was injured and any plans of cashing in had to be suspended? I was encouraged by us offering that amount of cash, but was that on the condition there was a Leaburn windfall? The Texas sales docs did state that Leaburn would be sold.
  • Worth a punt of Danny Rose?