Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• If we’re playing two up top, that’s 92 possible starting berths for our starting strikers.

Split evenly between May, Leaburn and another, that’s around 30 starts each… we’ve seen last season that Leaburn is prone to the odd niggle, so 20-30 starts would seem to be about right for him.
  • Chuks if and when won’t ever be considered as a starter so at best he’s our bench option. Trouble is we’ve been here before. We can’t rely on him even being that. He’s effectively supernumerary and we should view him as such.
  • wmcf123 said:
    Be interesting how we sell the club to a new striker as we already have 3. Leaburn and Aneke should/might be fit in September to play alongside May so where does that leave the new striker?
    Chuks will never be fit .  We need 4 fit strikers if we are playing 2 up top 
    yes but how do we persuade a striker who is number 1 at another club to be number 3 here
    I think the first striker we sign will be the one we intend to play upfront with May.

Leaburn 3rd striker.

Your fourth striker (who I'm not sure we'll get) could be a PL loanee.

We'll play 51 games minimum this season, likely at least a couple more.  There's plenty of games for 3 strikers given we appear to be playing 2 up top, and likely cup games, injury cover etc for a fourth.
    Someone will tell me differently - my football league knowledge is not that strong these days, but you don’t go up without having good forwards , whether that’s in a 352/433/442/ whatever .  We know that has been the case in all of our promotions seasons ( I only go back to the Mendonca year ).  
  • If we’re playing two up top, that’s 92 possible starting berths for our starting strikers.

Split evenly between May, Leaburn and another, that’s around 30 starts each… we’ve seen last season that Leaburn is prone to the odd niggle, so 20-30 starts would seem to be about right for him.
    And the other point is Leaburn is out injured now, so the next striker in isn't waiting to try and dislodge him, but will be starting with May.  You're not suggesting to anyone they come as third choice, they are straight into the first XI.

Up to Leaburn to then come back and complete.

And no one is behind Aneke given he never plays.
    Don't forget, whichever striker we bring in will not be match fit (for some reason or other), and will probably not be ready until after Leaburn will be ready 🥴
  • wmcf123 said:
    Be interesting how we sell the club to a new striker as we already have 3. Leaburn and Aneke should/might be fit in September to play alongside May so where does that leave the new striker?
    Chuks will never be fit .  We need 4 fit strikers if we are playing 2 up top 
    yes but how do we persuade a striker who is number 1 at another club to be number 3 here
    If he's good enough, puts in the performances and scores goals,he'll be number one.

• And as for dear old Chuks, if he's ever fit, he's only going to sit on the bench and be used sparingly.

• I wish one of the journalists could ask Holden if there is some kind of timeframe for Aneke’s injury 
  • Sponsored links:

• nagAddick said:
    I wish one of the journalists could ask Holden if there is some kind of timeframe for Aneke’s injury 
    Asked his room mate in Marbella and was told last week August to first two weeks in Sept. Not dissimilar to Myles, but suspect that was a team mate being positive 🤷‍♂️? 
  • nagAddick said:
    I wish one of the journalists could ask Holden if there is some kind of timeframe for Aneke’s injury 
    Problem is any timescale depends on him not breaking down again but sounds dishonest if he does etc.
  • Red_James said:
    nagAddick said:
    My son got a photo with Aneke today at the game, another fella asked him and he said he’s back training so should be another 2 weeks or so
    Have to hope that having May/Leaburn + another will mean we never have to risk Aneke if there is any doubt. Thought Aneke/Leaburn partnership for 15 mins against Sheffield Wednesday looked really promising. Can’t be any other clubs in this division who would have a calibre of those two on the subs bench.
  • Forget Smith… we’re even injuring the players that don’t end up signing with us.

Christ... Zero luck for Reading fans!!
  • Be interesting how we sell the club to a new striker as we already have 3. Leaburn and Aneke should/might be fit in September to play alongside May so where does that leave the new striker?
    In the starting lineup if he puts decent performances in. 
  • Forget Smith… we’re even injuring the players that don’t end up signing with us.

Signed for them 12 days ago, since then they've gone back under an embargo, they're due in court in a week to face a winding up petition, and now he's got a long term injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Red_James said:
    nagAddick said:
    My son got a photo with Aneke today at the game, another fella asked him and he said he’s back training so should be another 2 weeks or so
    It’ll be longer than a couple of weeks, he’s missed all pre season.
  • We will still bring a few in. In the meantime, I think we have a decent chance of beating Orient with what we have.
  • edited July 2023
  • edited July 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The most significant point so far...😉
  • edited July 2023
    Forget Smith… we’re even injuring the players that don’t end up signing with us.

Hard lines. won't ever laugh at another player getting a bad injury. But it sets them back significantly considering the embargo as well - i'm assuming there is some kind of rule in place that Reading couldn't skirt the rules and sign someone on the max wage cap on the promise of giving them a new contract the second the embargo is lifted?

Hard lines. won't ever laugh at another player getting a bad injury. But it sets them back significantly considering the embargo as well - i'm assuming there is some kind of rule in place that Reading couldn't skirt the rules and sign someone on the max wage cap on the promise of giving them a new contract the second the embargo is lifted?
    Who would be fool enough to sign for them on that basis?
  • edited July 2023
    Forget Smith… we’re even injuring the players that don’t end up signing with us.

Who would be fool enough to sign for them on that basis?
    who would sign for them with other offers on the table anyway? Edit (I mean before the latest embargo)
  • We will still bring a few in. In the meantime, I think we have a decent chance of beating Orient with what we have.
    Expect another 4/5