Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Very good discussion about FFP on talksporf and that it was brought in to keep the top sides ad the top.…it don't matter if you got the richest owners like Newcastle they still can't pay out silly money like your the top clubs 
  • Egbo off to join Garner
  • Egbo gone to Colchester 
    hardly a surprise 
  • Very unsurprised at that, like I said after the Aberdeen friendly when he didn't get on at all, he just sat on a chair by the bench and stared off into the distance for a good couple of minutes, probably at that point he had decided he wanted to move on.
  • It would be so Charlton to finally have owners happy to spend - but we can’t because of the mess made by previous owners.

Watch that transfer window wind down….along with our chances of a proper promotion push this season.

(can you tell I’ve had a bad day?)
  • I hope that means someone is lined up and that someone is Sessegnon or of that quality 
  • I guess moving these players on was part of the plan which I think is reasonable for a well run football club, but of course frustrating. Truth is everyone thinks they primarily want a well run football club until there is a trade off like this.
  • Not overly bothered but I liked Egbo off the pitch and would have liked to have seen a bit more of him
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice lad, lacked a bit of oomph, hope he does well under Garner 
  • Cawley saying it’s been going on for a while so I imagine that injury wasn’t real/isn’t actually very serious 
  • bobmunro said:
    RedChaser s :o aid:
    Redhenry said:
    If we are waiting for outgoings, how much we gonna raise from that, 2 bob?
    Who did you have in mind  @charltonbob and @bobmunro , I think they’re getting on a bit these days 😉
    Oi cheeky bugger  :o 
    I thought that initially, then reflected on the fact that he does have a point!
    Indeed he/she does but still a cheeky bugger  :D
  • Seemed like a great guy to have around the squad as a personality but never really saw much of him on the field. A move to working under Garner again is the best for everyone and I'd expect Sessengon or a PL loanee in before the weekend. 
  • Not surprised he has gone but thought he is better than L2/Colchester.
    With his injury record I am not disappointed to see him move on as we need to move away from those sorts of signings.  Good luck to him, clearly a good egg.
  • bobmunro said:
    Redhenry said:
    Who did you have in mind  @charltonbob and @bobmunro , I think they’re getting on a bit these days 😉
    He if you don’t mind ! 💪.
  • RedChaser said:
    bobmunro said:
    Redhenry said:
    To be fair I’m no spring chicken either and retirement comes highly recommended Bob 😉
    Already there mate & to be honest i don't know how I ever found the time to work ? 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    Redhenry said:
    Surely more about getting a couple of wages off the book than transfer fees?

Exactly what i meant, we won't get those wages covered, as for transfer fees, that's lala land...
    I don't think we will, who is going to pay Kirk 7k a week. 
     So are the ownership willing to take the hit?

They did their due diligence. They've been around since christmas. They knew the score when they took over. There was a high likelihood that they would struggle to get the unwanted off the books. Due diligence would have told them that.

To make a success of this, they are going to have to take a hit to get where they claim they want this club to be.
    If they aren't willing to do that, and are hoping to do this on the cheap they they will go down in the same category of our last few owners.

But that's exactly what they (Scott) did. MacGillivray, Lavelle, DJ and Kirk were all shipped out in Jan. The difference is that they managed all that towards the end of the window, it's probably going to be the same now but unfortunately that doesn't help us at all. 

But not permanently, other than the keeper, and we probably still paid some of their wages anyway
    That’s probably going to be the case, we’ve been trying to offload DJ for example for multiple windows without success. I think him and Kirk will go out on loan again. 
  • RedChaser said:
    bobmunro said:
    Redhenry said:
    He if you don’t mind ! 💪.
    I didn't want to jump to conclusions  :#
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    Cawley saying it’s been going on for a while so I imagine that injury wasn’t real/isn’t actually very serious 
    and he’s in the Colchester squad tonight….
  • fenaddick said:
    Cawley saying it’s been going on for a while so I imagine that injury wasn’t real/isn’t actually very serious 
    I’m guessing it was reliant on how long it took Stoke (or whichever buying club) to stump up the appropriate fee for Tchamadeu.

With that said, I see Tchamadeu gets the start for them against Wimbledon tonight.

• fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    and he’s in the Colchester squad tonight….
    I wonder how that works, usually you need 24hrs clearance 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Redhenry said:
    That's worrying, squad is well short
    I think they was hoping to have a few of them players off the books by now.. As the get closer to the deadline I think they will go. 

I think we might have another player in next week, which won't have a big impact on FFP. (premier league loan)

Camara loan, we are paying full salary, I understand, and a small loan fee!
    I had a chat with one of the SMT today, he pretty much confirmed this. I estimate between 17/20k a week in wages they want to move on, without doing that we are in a bit of a stalemate as from an FFP perspective, we could end up under a 12 month embargo if we just start signing players and not shifting these on.
    No, no, no.  This is the type of thing we hear owners spout in the US when they don’t want to spend money. In L1 there is effectively no FFP - it’s self imposed by the owners, as they can pour as much money as they want into the team, as long as it’s not a loan. 

If they want to get out of this division, but you have 5 players you don’t want sucking up money and squad places, then you can just dump them. Free transfers, buy out the contract, park them off the playing squad, whatever. The owners just need to cover the cost. 

They can bring in players any time, see where they are with the 5 at the end of the window, and stump up whatever cash is needed to level up FFP. FFP only comes into play if they don’t want to invest cash in place of a loan. 

If you’re going to spend the money on incomings anyway, you’re effectively adding about £1m in write offs on these players wages - if you think adding the new players gets you out of the division, then you’re just reducing you’re chances by letting your squad decisions and progress be driven by the status of players you don’t want. 

If I’d just spent £12m on buying the club, and had a budget that I thought would get the team promoted, I’m not going to balk at the extra money to remove a drag on success.  Any money we get back on fees or partial wages reduces my extra investment, but they no longer constrain my ability to succeed. But if they want to risk their change of success this year over £1m, then I’d question their ambition. 

Now, that assume that really is the problem - if clubs won’t release the players we want, that’s a different issue. 

Whatever the reason behind it, the SMT wanting to shift £20k off the wage bill is a huge task. Considering we’ll be lucky to loan out DJ and Kirk and we’ll be lucky to get away with still paying 50% of their wages. I smell a bit of red trousered BS coining through already.
  • sam3110 said:
    I hope that means someone is lined up and that someone is Sessegnon or of that quality 
    Chris Gunter to come out of retirement 
  • Injury list is down to eight now 😊😊
  • now to try and shift kirk and dj
  • edited August 2023
    Valley11 said:
    It would be so Charlton to finally have owners happy to spend - but we can’t because of the mess made by previous owners.

Watch that transfer window wind down….along with our chances of a proper promotion push this season.

(can you tell I’ve had a bad day?)
    What makes you think we have owners happy to spend ? Ok they spent far to much on buying the club from sandgaard ( & they're supposed to be intelligent business men, billionaires so some say but I don't think that's true) but as for spending on players ? It was suggested back around January that they had no intention on splashing out on new players & we would be looking mainly at out of contracts & loans. So far they have paid a reported transfer fee of £250k for Alfie May & compensation for Taylor who was out of contract but under 24. There is absolutely nothing to stop them paying whatever they want for incoming players but it's not going to happen. As I said the other day new owners same old shit. Methvens sold them a pup, he gets shares in the club & his mates get a weekly wage & they don't give a shit about Charlton Athletic.
  • Ricardo Fulleresque half time announcement of Stewart please!