Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Really interesting interview with Andy Scott on Charlton TV. He described the current squad situation as “threadbare given the injuries” and “less than ideal”
    After the trollop he came out with in January and the subsequent ins/outs I'd take what he says as rubbish.
    Not going to let that window go?

We wanted Edun then, couldn't get him. The alternative (Penney) was unfortunately not very good. We've got Edun now and he looks quality.

For me, that's enough to give him the benefit of the doubt over the January window.

It’s also quite hard to sign decent players in January when you don’t own the club so are still on Sandgaards budget and we were stuck in mid-table so anyone decent will join a team going for promotion
  • Really interesting interview with Andy Scott on Charlton TV. He described the current squad situation as “threadbare given the injuries” and “less than ideal”
    After the trollop he came out with in January and the subsequent ins/outs I'd take what he says as rubbish.
    Not going to let that window go?

We wanted Edun then, couldn't get him. The alternative (Penney) was unfortunately not very good. We've got Edun now and he looks quality.

For me, that's enough to give him the benefit of the doubt over the January window.

Can't really agree. His main concern in January was clearing players out, which yes he managed to do then but hasn't really replicated since. In terms of coming in, we had the glorious successes that were Kilkenny, Penney, Bonne and Kane. The only real success was Hector.

Which to be fair is understandable. It's rare for a January window to be a real season changer and of course we don't know how much of that is Scott and how much was Gallen.

But "benefit of the doubt"? No. Not yet. We've got some good players in with the likes of May and Camara but they were fairly obvious high profile targets. We have no idea if he can spot a genuine diamond in the rough, and the financial arrangements (whatever those are) seem to have left us stalling until we manage to get rid.

I'm certainly not saying he's NOT capable (yet) as there's still time and the circumstances aren't the best... but he's still very much unproven (in our current position) for me.
  • Valley11 said:
    I wonder if there’s anything in Sam Nombe being on the bench against Portsmouth?

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much in this other than just resting him for the first half 
    Exeter fans are saying he had his head turned and as not look interested .. same with Collins last night another looked half the player we seen before and not the player we were quoted 2 mill for few months back 
  • edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Following last night, time to show your money lads!
    If Fraser and Leaburn was fit last night we would have won that easily.. and most likely got something at Peterbro .. as I said we are going toe to toe with championship teams for players as Andy Scott says the players have options not free transfers who don’t have options 
    We all can read Holden's comments, but thanks as always for regurgitating stuff you have heard/read as your own info.
  • The lack of quality in depth, is more than apparent, 2 defeats in 3 matches , is a really poor start to the season.

We’ve had radio silence for the last 2 weeks (could argue as good or bad) but we do need to get a move on with bringing some good players in, otherwise we’ll be so far out of touch, before the season has got going.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    If Fraser and Leaburn was fit last night we would have won that easily.. and most likely got something at Peterbro .. as I said we are going toe to toe with championship teams for players as Andy Scott says the players have options not free transfers who don’t have options 
    The issue is when they are not fit, they are both going to miss 10-15 games a season, and if we can win when they are not playing, we are in big trouble.

I know we are fishing for better than normal, and will take time, and I believe they will get it right, but doesn't stop fans getting frustrated.

Annoying, we have been the better side last 2 games, and come away with nothing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Kirk and McGrandles on the bench last night out of necessity. No surprise that they were unused.
    I wonder if we are delaying their moves while we get a couple back, or a new signing.

• CafcSCP said:
    Kirk and McGrandles on the bench last night out of necessity. No surprise that they were unused.
    I wonder if we are delaying their moves while we get a couple back, or a new signing.

My guess is we’re trying to maximise what we get for them and eventually we might have to accept loan offers in which we pay the majority of their wages. If those are the only offers at the moment it’s no surprise they’re still here.

We moved Wollacott, Lavelle and Egbo on permanently and are probably trying to do the same with those two and DJ.
  • CafcSCP said:
    Kirk and McGrandles on the bench last night out of necessity. No surprise that they were unused.

My feeling is that if they are moving on we won't risk an injury to them if at all possible. Wouldn't be surprised if McGrandles went back to Cambridge on a permanent, as for Kirk, he'll be loaned out simply because his wage is too high at this level for any club to offer an equivalent deal.  
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    And I'm still waiting for Margot Robbie to get back to me. 
    You as well!? Sheesh!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I think she’s been a bit busy recently Golfie, with that Barbie movie.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    You as well!? Sheesh!
    Once I've finished with her she can phone both of you.
  • edited August 2023
    Very good interview with Andy Scott.. Clearly looking to go toe to toe with championship clubs for the players we want. 
    We hear that shite every year Ronnie
    In case you missed it, that is just a wind up merchant account. Not a serious poster. Best to just ignore
  • Feels like probably 5 signings needed , I know obviously this won't quite be balanced with the same amount of players leaving. Probably 2 PL loans and the rest on permanents hopefully! Just think we badly need some creativity. 
  • Sponsored links:

• and a RB :)
  • CafcSCP said:

The supporters of the clubs they join have my sympathy.
  • So someone earlier claimed the SMT are trying to shift £20k of salary a week before we can add to the squad. Probs £17k now Egbo has gone. That’s a lot of players to realise that. It would be all of Payne, Kirk, DJ (injured so won’t happen) and McGrandles and you still wouldn’t be near that figure, as we’ll have to loan some of them and we’d still be paying a percentage of their wages. If we could shift them all that’s possibly two players that come in not the 4 or 5 we need. Time to get real, do we really think adding two players to this squad will make us top six?
  • So someone earlier claimed the SMT are trying to shift £20k of salary a week before we can add to the squad. Probs £17k now Egbo has gone. That’s a lot of players to realise that. It would be all of Payne, Kirk, DJ (injured so won’t happen) and McGrandles and you still wouldn’t be near that figure, as we’ll have to loan some of them and we’d still be paying a percentage of their wages. If we could shift them all that’s possibly two players that come in not the 4 or 5 we need. Time to get real, do we really think adding two players to this squad will make us top six?
    We need 5/6
  • Dabo has been training I was told last eve. 
    Medical 2: Fankaty Boogaloo
  • Must be some incomings this week
  • wmcf123 said:
    So someone earlier claimed the SMT are trying to shift £20k of salary a week before we can add to the squad. Probs £17k now Egbo has gone. That’s a lot of players to realise that. It would be all of Payne, Kirk, DJ (injured so won’t happen) and McGrandles and you still wouldn’t be near that figure, as we’ll have to loan some of them and we’d still be paying a percentage of their wages. If we could shift them all that’s possibly two players that come in not the 4 or 5 we need. Time to get real, do we really think adding two players to this squad will make us top six?
    We need 5/6
    Well that’s not going to happen, if that SMT quote is true. Two at most.
  • wmcf123 said:
    So someone earlier claimed the SMT are trying to shift £20k of salary a week before we can add to the squad. Probs £17k now Egbo has gone. That’s a lot of players to realise that. It would be all of Payne, Kirk, DJ (injured so won’t happen) and McGrandles and you still wouldn’t be near that figure, as we’ll have to loan some of them and we’d still be paying a percentage of their wages. If we could shift them all that’s possibly two players that come in not the 4 or 5 we need. Time to get real, do we really think adding two players to this squad will make us top six?
    We need 5/6
    Who do you think we are? Chelsea?