Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    A reminder that medicals aren’t a pass/fail test to see if a player is injured or has injury issues. It’s an assessment of those things which the club then use to make a decision on whether the player is worth that risk. You could technically still pass a medical with a broken leg 

I think it’s highly likely that Dabo was asking for too much last time round so the medical risk meant we decided against it. He’s probably tried to find himself a club on those terms and failed, come back to us asking for less so we might now assess it differently. I think it’s more likely to be that than his injury circumstances changing in such a short space of time 

Just thought I’d clear that up as seems to be a lot of misconceptions about medicals in football
    That's a good point. And as I said before, a fit and fully functional Dabo is more than okay for League One, he was apparently getting interest from Championship teams - which is good.

The issue is that he's not actually apparently all that sought after by anyone else which is a bit worrying. Either his terms were WAY out or no-one seems inclined to risking it. Either way makes it seem something of a gamble honestly.
    It is an upgrade on Egbo though, who was also an injury risk. Might have been the plan to have Egbo as number 2, so they wanted number 1 to be someone that they know will stay fit and therefore rejected Dabo. Now we have Asiimwe coming through and Egbo moved on, perhaps they are now happy to go for Dabo as they’re confident Asiimwe will stay fit 
  • Where’s that black box when you need it?

They’re searching the black box now, if that doesn’t work we can sign Bonne and Leko. https://youtu.be/TjtLDlz8yG4
  • NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:
    A reminder that medicals aren’t a pass/fail test to see if a player is injured or has injury issues. It’s an assessment of those things which the club then use to make a decision on whether the player is worth that risk. You could technically still pass a medical with a broken leg 

I think it’s highly likely that Dabo was asking for too much last time round so the medical risk meant we decided against it. He’s probably tried to find himself a club on those terms and failed, come back to us asking for less so we might now assess it differently. I think it’s more likely to be that than his injury circumstances changing in such a short space of time 

Just thought I’d clear that up as seems to be a lot of misconceptions about medicals in football
    That's a good point. And as I said before, a fit and fully functional Dabo is more than okay for League One, he was apparently getting interest from Championship teams - which is good.

The issue is that he's not actually apparently all that sought after by anyone else which is a bit worrying. Either his terms were WAY out or no-one seems inclined to risking it. Either way makes it seem something of a gamble honestly.
    It is an upgrade on Egbo though, who was also an injury risk. Might have been the plan to have Egbo as number 2, so they wanted number 1 to be someone that they know will stay fit and therefore rejected Dabo. Now we have Asiimwe coming through and Egbo moved on, perhaps they are now happy to go for Dabo as they’re confident Asiimwe will stay fit 
    That’s a really good point. Asimwe has come out of nowhere really and although he is young I think it would be really tough on the lad to put him down the starting list with the performances he has put in
  • NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

I hope so. Certainly I agree that he is (on paper) an upgrade over Egbo and Asiimwe definitely does show promise.

My concern is that we are 2 league games into the season and already facing an injury crisis. This sounds like yet another player who is excellent when fit... but is he going to be fit enough often enough?
  • edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:

That's what Curbs was eluding to last night post match, saying that you sometimes need to hang back an play it cool, so that a better deal can be struck, by not appearing as desperate and prepared to walk away if the player / club doesn't agree to your terms. This works for buying as well as selling however and as he said, we are likely to have to spend some of our squad budget to offload the likes of Kirk so that we can sign an alternative.

If we subsidise Kirk's deal elsewhere to the tune of £4k a week (assuming he's on £8k), then whatever budget we have to sign a new player is reduced by that amount, surely! 
  • NabySarr said:

Its not all about medicals though is it ?  If he does sign will he be fit to play on Saturday ? He might be training with us but he's not had any game time & now we are out of the cup we only have the Pizza Cup he can get match fit.

Yet again we seem to be signing players who are not fit enough to go straight into the team. Weird policy when we are already stretched with current injuries. You'd think you'd only be signing players who've had a pre-season & are 100% ready to go. 
    It’s either got be naff recruiting, or all our budget can stretch too?
  • NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

I was thinking similar, I think Asiimwe has impressed more than they expected and they are happy with him playing a lot of games this season. With serious interest for Egbo meaning a space opened up I'd guess that they're comfortable bringing Dabo in as first choice knowing an injury could recur because they're happy with Asiimwe being there too. Feels like Dabo and Egbo was an unacceptable risk but Dabo and Asiimwe is fine
    But is Dabo ready yet? Until that happens we have no cover for an 18 year old at RB. All it takes is a slight knock to the ankle or a dead leg in training, and we're really struggling in that position.
  • Watching that and the other video, what's clear is he can pick a pass like Tayo. It's also pretty handy he can play both flanks for squad rotation.

The general consensus from the Coventry fans I've seen, is that he is good on his day but not consistent, but this is of course them speaking about the championship I assume.

He seems quite small (or Djed Spence is giant) so it doesn't really address our physicality issues, but it does seem he can play ball.

I imagine this is gonna go through as Cawley has tweeted and he only usually does when a deal is close, we still need 3 more. It's nice to hear clarification from Cawley that the club want a striker, holds them accountable.
  • NabySarr said:
    thenewbie said:
    NabySarr said:

I was thinking similar, I think Asiimwe has impressed more than they expected and they are happy with him playing a lot of games this season. With serious interest for Egbo meaning a space opened up I'd guess that they're comfortable bringing Dabo in as first choice knowing an injury could recur because they're happy with Asiimwe being there too. Feels like Dabo and Egbo was an unacceptable risk but Dabo and Asiimwe is fine
    But is Dabo ready yet? Until that happens we have no cover for an 18 year old at RB. All it takes is a slight knock to the ankle or a dead leg in training, and we're really struggling in that position.
    That is a concern but I think if we are playing 3-5-2 then we can play Edun on the left and CBT on the right. Ness or Jones would be able to cover CBT a bit like Thomas has been doing on the left, with Edun playing the Asiimwe role on the opposite side and not getting as far forward as CBT
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    shirty5 said:
    TeeC said:
    So five weeks after he allegedly failed a medical with us, he’s now going to sign on the dotted line. 
    Allegedly the issue was an apparent problem with his knee that could impact the longevity of his career (think Chris Solly's knees). If managed, it would be ok, but that meant we didn't want to hand out another A&Eke style multi year guaranteed contract. We wanted to renegotiate the terms of the contract, he asked to train with us.

If they've seen he can stay fit by the extended trial Dabo had basically been on and the terms are more acceptable then he should be an upgrade on Egbo.

*Sorry, posting without wading through the other 100's of them that probably say the exact same thing... 
  • edited August 2023
    Croydon said:
    Does any other club sign players that fail their own medicals? Or is it just us, the club consistently plagued by injuries
    his problem is not muscle or anything like that and is a situation that can be managed hence the new offer at reduced rates 
    In a way that Aneke’s situation has been ‘managed’. If he does sign, I hope we only offer a one year deal, or even like we did initially with CBT - until Jan. 
  • Will anyone else be ‘moved on’ before the weekend?
  • Will anyone else be ‘moved on’ before the weekend?
    Well Kirk and McGrandles didn't feature, and seemingly just there to make up numbers, if imagine both go soon enough, especially when Leaburn, Fraser and Campbell are added back to the squad
  • Is he definitely joining us?

Yes Mitch, 100%. Just saw him coming out of valley cafe 
    That’s amazing, they normally shut at 3!
  • Watching that and the other video, what's clear is he can pick a pass like Tayo. It's also pretty handy he can play both flanks for squad rotation.

The general consensus from the Coventry fans I've seen, is that he is good on his day but not consistent, but this is of course them speaking about the championship I assume.

He seems quite small (or Djed Spence is giant) so it doesn't really address our physicality issues, but it does seem he can play ball.

I imagine this is gonna go through as Cawley has tweeted and he only usually does when a deal is close, we still need 3 more. It's nice to hear clarification from Cawley that the club want a striker, holds them accountable.

Dabo is 5'11" and Spence 6'0", apparently.
  • shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    TeeC said:
    So five weeks after he allegedly failed a medical with us, he’s now going to sign on the dotted line. 
    rumours are he's been training with us all that time so maybe he's proved his fitness and can now pass our stringent medical of proving you have two legs. 
    That rules out Douglas Bader then
    He also fails by not having a pulse
    If Kirk can make the bench Sir Douglas must be worth a try ?
  • Sponsored links:

• This Twitter thread is Coventry fans rating Dabo for his career with them. Seems he was hampered by injury a fair amount…

https://x.com/allthingskyblue/status/1671241191579320320?s=46&t=rsrY0_4Lq2Y5apWmOJDkGA
  • Champs85 said:
    This Twitter thread is Coventry fans rating Dabo for his career with them. Seems he was hampered by injury a fair amount…

https://x.com/allthingskyblue/status/1671241191579320320?s=46&t=rsrY0_4Lq2Y5apWmOJDkGA
    Basically saying he's decent for this level but probably won't be great if he steps up to the championship with us (haha) 
  • edited August 2023
    Champs85 said:
    This Twitter thread is Coventry fans rating Dabo for his career with them. Seems he was hampered by injury a fair amount…

We really can’t afford to sign players that end up playing half a season, it literally would be an Egbo mark 2, and that’s part of the reason the club has been treading water for years.
  • Finally I actually know something… 

I know someone that knows Dabo. 

The lad is local and is desperate to join us, he was gutted when he failed his initial medical. 

It’s not a straightforward injury, he could potentially play 40 games for us, however the doctors are concerned that the issue (which I believe is hip related) could cause the lad issues in the long-term. 

I’m told that the dialogue between the player, club and medical staff has been ongoing for some time. 

Let’s hope it all works out, especially for Dabo.
    Injury that could cause problems in the long term... 

He's guaranteed to not only sign, but join the illustrious list of Full-Backs (Poole | Youga | Basey | Gibbs | Wiggins) with that issue

Yes Mitch, 100%. Just saw him coming out of valley cafe 
    That’s amazing, they normally shut at 3!
    They have an agreement with the club whereby they stay open later when a medical is taking place. Seeing how long it takes for him to finish a burger and chips is part of the medical,  currently chuks aneke holds the record. 
  • Wait wait wait, so, Dabo has a potential long term injury/ fitness/ career(?) Issue in the making..... and... he's desperate to sign, for ...us?

Oh dear god the silly bastard has no idea
    4 year contract apparently. 
  • Let's face it, we are fucking perfect for him then!