Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Assuming whatever this issue is that caused the deal to fall apart first time is fixed then I'd be perfectly happy with Dabo 
  • TeeC said:
    Reams saying an unnamed striker will be in by Saturday 
    Eden Hazard is still available on a free... Would fit in nicely with his injury record 
  • Not a rumour but I wonder if we signed Tony Watt again if he’d be up to this level?
  • thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Assuming whatever this issue is that caused the deal to fall apart first time is fixed then I'd be perfectly happy with Dabo 
    The positive interpretation: He's sorted out whatever issue scuppered things first time around.

Negative interpretation: he's still crocked but we've totally failed to identify/attain a suitable plan B so we are yet again gambling on an old injury not biting our collective arses.

He was highly thought of apparently, but no-one else seems to have made strong overtures which doesn't necessarily bode well.
    I think the negative one is more likely, but it’s probably being balanced by him being offered a lower wage and shorter contract.

We’re being patient and waited for perceived better players. Pompey have a different approach, they singed a lot of players early but not so well known or as obviously highly rated.

We may look strong if we get the players we need, Pompey have benefitted from the bulk of their squad having a preseason together.

We need several signings to make the sort of impact Yann, JRS, Cullen and Bielik made after signing later on in the window. It’s a lot to ask but not impossible.
  • I remember his sister Maryam was in that Bond film with Timothy Dalton.
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    TeeC said:
    So five weeks after he allegedly failed a medical with us, he’s now going to sign on the dotted line. 
    rumours are he's been training with us all that time so maybe he's proved his fitness and can now pass our stringent medical of proving you have two legs. 
    That rules out Douglas Bader then
    He also fails by not having a pulse
  • If we are signing him because he is now fit and proved it, happy days as he is quality for this level. 

If he's still unfit and we are getting desperate then the club can do one. That's exactly what the last 3 sets of owners would do
    I’m guessing its a bit of both. Might be ok. 
  • Not a rumour but I wonder if we signed Tony Watt again if he’d be up to this level?
    Not sure he'd fit the 'no dickheads' policy
  • edited August 2023

• Dabo might have proved his fitness, but hasn't played a single game in preseason (other than behind closed doors perhaps) so how ready will he be?

Surely they could have played him as a triallist if he had been training with us?
  • edited August 2023
    iaitch said:
    I heard Dabo has been training with us all summer. Surely a contract heavily loaded with a pay as you play emphasis is worth it.  Him and Edun would be quality full backs imo. 
    Dabo, Edun, Ness and Jones must be the shortest names we've had for a back four?
    Alas Ness & Jones. 
    In 1970 I received a postcard from Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch. Sounds a bit like a Charlton midfield. 
    Boom boom. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dabo might have proved his fitness, but hasn't played a single game in preseason (other than behind closed doors perhaps) so how ready will he be?

Surely they could have played him as a triallist if he had been training with us?
    think it would have been pretty obvious who he was though which then increases risk of being poached. With the emergence of NA he can be eased in to the first team with the odd u21 game too
  • More importantly we needed a replacement for Egbo in the Follow Follow Follow song so Dabo replaces him on and off the pitch 
  • Is this the unnamed player, Reams is talking about?

• Where’s that black box when you need it?
  • edited August 2023
    NabySarr said:
    A reminder that medicals aren’t a pass/fail test to see if a player is injured or has injury issues. It’s an assessment of those things which the club then use to make a decision on whether the player is worth that risk. You could technically still pass a medical with a broken leg 

I think it’s highly likely that Dabo was asking for too much last time round so the medical risk meant we decided against it. He’s probably tried to find himself a club on those terms and failed, come back to us asking for less so we might now assess it differently. I think it’s more likely to be that than his injury circumstances changing in such a short space of time 

Just thought I’d clear that up as seems to be a lot of misconceptions about medicals in football
    That's a good point. And as I said before, a fit and fully functional Dabo is more than okay for League One, he was apparently getting interest from Championship teams - which is good.

The issue is that he's not actually apparently all that sought after by anyone else which is a bit worrying. Either his terms were WAY out or no-one seems inclined to risking it. Either way makes it seem something of a gamble honestly.
  • Croydon said:
    Does any other club sign players that fail their own medicals? Or is it just us, the club consistently plagued by injuries
    his problem is not muscle or anything like that and is a situation that can be managed hence the new offer at reduced rates 
  • NabySarr said:
    A reminder that medicals aren’t a pass/fail test to see if a player is injured or has injury issues. It’s an assessment of those things which the club then use to make a decision on whether the player is worth that risk. You could technically still pass a medical with a broken leg 

I think it’s highly likely that Dabo was asking for too much last time round so the medical risk meant we decided against it. He’s probably tried to find himself a club on those terms and failed, come back to us asking for less so we might now assess it differently. I think it’s more likely to be that than his injury circumstances changing in such a short space of time 

Just thought I’d clear that up as seems to be a lot of misconceptions about medicals in football
    Its not all about medicals though is it ?  If he does sign will he be fit to play on Saturday ? He might be training with us but he's not had any game time & now we are out of the cup we only have the Pizza Cup he can get match fit.

Yet again we seem to be signing players who are not fit enough to go straight into the team. Weird policy when we are already stretched with current injuries. You'd think you'd only be signing players who've had a pre-season & are 100% ready to go.