Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    Again, only way to 'flip' the club is to make it more valuable, only way to make it more valuable is to get us promoted, and then promoted again or at the very least challenging the top 6 in the Championship.

If you have a problem with them trying to flip the club in a few years time because that's what's happened, then that's only a good thing?!
    Agree, but what makes you think this lot are any better than their predecessors ?

They might end up losing a lot of money and we might end up in another crisis.

No problem with them flipping the club, but that will need a plan, good management and investment.

What they have is a loss making football operation, so making it valuable will need a team that will fill the Valley.

Because the people involved day to day are football people. 

RD wasnt a football person he was a politician that decided he could do football differently with a network of clubs that shared information and players on the cheap, and put in place people like KM and TD who weren't suited to run/work for a club like us. 

The less said about both ESI groups the better, none of them were actually competent to run a bath, let alone a football club.

TS put people like his son and his wife/girlfriend/fuck buddy in charge of many things and didn't see fit to hire anyone else for the SMT until very late on in his tenure.

This lot have people who have ran clubs before, who are ex professional footballers, ex managers, people who have been there and done that. 

They have been here 4 weeks, that's nowhere near enough time to judge if they're doing to be a success or not. 

But fuck me if the whining on here doesn't look like a bunch of entitled, spoilt brats that throw toys out of the pram constantly, it's tiresome. 

I'd like nothing more than for them to come out, lay out a 5 year plan in front of us all, like the wankers beforehand, but then actually manage to follow through with it, but it's not going to work like that. 

I'd also like them to just go and spunk £15m up the wall on players for us to absolutely walk the league and give us a really strong foundation for next season, but again it's not going to work like that.

But hey let's all sit on a football forum and constantly moan and complain and vent our spleens every day because that's going to make all the difference isn't it?
    Realistically, we all know it will take time.

Maybe some of us have seen this all too often at Charlton hence the cynicism.

Tiresome it is.
  • TeeC said:
    BigDiddy said:
    TeeC said:
    I am of course not advocating signing players with a serious, determinable above-average risk. 

But from the comments above it would appear nobody criticising this possible signing has ever been responsible for signing talent (as opposed to someone to do a routine job), in a highly competitive market, with a tight deadline and where an empty chair is not an acceptable outcome.
    A complete lack of awareness about what it’s like to make big decisions and therefore a lack of empathy for those that have to do it is problem with football discourse generally (and all forms of public life for that matter).
    Why buy a football club then ?

These guys are not fans, have no empathy with the club and I doubt that most of the consortium will ever bother to visit the Valley. Buying a football club is not “Public Life”!!

Next you will be telling Man U fans to feel sorry for the Glazers !

Who mentioned the owners or the Glazers? I’m talking about Andy Scott and trade offs involved when assessing Dabo. All I’m reading on here is how moronic a decision it is, without anyone having all the information available and the trade offs at play. And I’m not asking anyone to ‘feel sorry’ for anyone. 

Looking at some of comments I’d suggest some patience until the end of the window - there’s plenty of time to lose our shit after that if doesn’t pan out. 
    TeeC said:
    BigDiddy said:
    TeeC said:
    I am of course not advocating signing players with a serious, determinable above-average risk. 

But from the comments above it would appear nobody criticising this possible signing has ever been responsible for signing talent (as opposed to someone to do a routine job), in a highly competitive market, with a tight deadline and where an empty chair is not an acceptable outcome.
    A complete lack of awareness about what it’s like to make big decisions and therefore a lack of empathy for those that have to do it is problem with football discourse generally (and all forms of public life for that matter).

These guys are not fans, have no empathy with the club and I doubt that most of the consortium will ever bother to visit the Valley. Buying a football club is not “Public Life”!!

Who mentioned the owners or the Glazers? I’m talking about Andy Scott and trade offs involved when assessing Dabo. All I’m reading on here is how moronic a decision it is, without anyone having all the information available and the trade offs at play. And I’m not asking anyone to ‘feel sorry’ for anyone. 

Looking at some of comments I’d suggest some patience until the end of the window - there’s plenty of time to lose our shit after that if doesn’t pan out. 
    OK - crossed wires.

• Should be pulling out all the stops to get JCH. 
  • edited August 2023
    MrBurns said:
    A forward is close according to the other site 

You sure that's not the other "side"...🤔
  • TeeC said:
    BigDiddy said:
    TeeC said:

I'll hold you to that 😀
  • thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MrBurns said:
    Any names mentioned?

Cosgrove but competition from Blackpool and " one other that hasn't been mentioned anywhere"
    Aha, how convenient. If it is Cosgrove (as rumoured both here and elsewhere) there's some ITK points. If it's literally anyone else we have something vague enough to try and claim that as ITK too. Superb work.

Cynicism aside given we apparently had a few of the Consortium turn up to watch us get turned over by Bristol bloody City then I genuinely wouldn't be amazed if that hasn't maybe opened a few eyes (and wallets) and our striker search suddenly became a bit more urgent. (NOT ITK - purely speculative.)
    Worse - Bristol bloody Rovers.
    Think getting turned over is very wide of the mark , Rovers would have snatched your hand off at HT for a draw … and if they went down to 10 men it would have ended 1-1 or most likey a win for us 
  • BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    Again, only way to 'flip' the club is to make it more valuable, only way to make it more valuable is to get us promoted, and then promoted again or at the very least challenging the top 6 in the Championship.

If you have a problem with them trying to flip the club in a few years time because that's what's happened, then that's only a good thing?!
    Agree, but what makes you think this lot are any better than their predecessors ?

They might end up losing a lot of money and we might end up in another crisis.

No problem with them flipping the club, but that will need a plan, good management and investment.

What they have is a loss making football operation, so making it valuable will need a team that will fill the Valley.

Because the people involved day to day are football people. 

RD wasnt a football person he was a politician that decided he could do football differently with a network of clubs that shared information and players on the cheap, and put in place people like KM and TD who weren't suited to run/work for a club like us. 

The less said about both ESI groups the better, none of them were actually competent to run a bath, let alone a football club.

TS put people like his son and his wife/girlfriend/fuck buddy in charge of many things and didn't see fit to hire anyone else for the SMT until very late on in his tenure.

This lot have people who have ran clubs before, who are ex professional footballers, ex managers, people who have been there and done that. 

They have been here 4 weeks, that's nowhere near enough time to judge if they're doing to be a success or not. 

But fuck me if the whining on here doesn't look like a bunch of entitled, spoilt brats that throw toys out of the pram constantly, it's tiresome. 

I'd like nothing more than for them to come out, lay out a 5 year plan in front of us all, like the wankers beforehand, but then actually manage to follow through with it, but it's not going to work like that. 

I'd also like them to just go and spunk £15m up the wall on players for us to absolutely walk the league and give us a really strong foundation for next season, but again it's not going to work like that.

But hey let's all sit on a football forum and constantly moan and complain and vent our spleens every day because that's going to make all the difference isn't it?
    Realistically, we all know it will take time.

Maybe some of us have seen this all too often at Charlton hence the cynicism.

Tiresome it is.
    3rd summer window in a row where we've had owner(s) indicating they want promotion but doing much about it. I know I start my rantings earlier than most but it's been the same since Sandgaard properly took over. Lots of talk but little action (admittedly this lot have at least brought in 3 or 4 decent players) and posters still saying "but there's still 2 weeks to go until the window shuts" ignoring we've had 10 weeks before now to assemble a decent squad. Last season Ipswich strengthened well, this season Pompey did.....and look where they are in the table. 

I'm just looking forward to the January window.....at least that one only lasts 31 days !!
  • I don't know what to make of it all present tbh. Some signs of improvement if what I watched the other night was typical, but we're still hampered by injuries and depleted without quality cover.

I suspect not being able to shift deadwood is making transfers in an issue budget wise having been told it was a agreed ages ago. It's still early season, but I get why some are impatient and expressing concerns. 

If the new owners were to proclaim that it might take a couple of years to sort out the shortcomings of the squad that's proceeded them, no one wants to hear that but it might be the reality as we fell well short last season. We need a signing or two to give us renewed hope and the Club a lift.
  • Actually played with Fankaty Dabo on a Sunday league sort of thing on Blackheath a few years back, he’s a friend of a friend of a friend, and came in as a ringer. Was defo miles better than anyone there! 

Aside from my obvious influence on his career, we need to get him in and give Asimwee a bit of a breather, saying that he’s been a stand out player for me so far. 
    You'd like to think so given he spent 9 years at Chelsea as a youngster.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    looks like the Chelsea keeper has signed ...
  • ButtleJR said:
    https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=48493
    It’s pretty certain Peterborough are looking for £1.25 million as a minimum. Way too much for a 29 year old league one player despite his goal record. He didn’t really cut it in The Championship and at 29 he has no resale value. Nombe by way of comparison is 24 and on the way up. We’ve had a bid of £500k knocked back and I doubt our ceiling is very much higher than that. I think both might well go this window but in my opinion we won’t be the destination for either. I’ve always thought that it would take three windows to get our squad close enough for a promotion push and I still do. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    That watermark makes it look like he's wearing some weird hat
    was chatting to a Peterborough season ticket holder today about JCH and the first thing he said was that JCH isn’t good enough for the Championship. Absolutely no point paying 7 figures and probably a high wage to a player who probably will have to be offloaded if we get promoted. We’d basically be in a Kirk scenario again
  • NabySarr said:
    Going to make the first unrealistic suggestion of the Premier League season…

Scott Twine on loan from Burnley?
    Going to Hull I think 
    Confirmed to Hull on season long loan.

Pull your finger out Mr Methane…
  • The problem with squad overhauls is that the deadwood players under contract are the ones hardest to shift, so the easiest thing is to not renew contracts for those players out of contract, even though they aren't the biggest problem.

We let go of Morgan, Clare and Inniss. I understand why, but all would be more useful in the squad than the likes of DJ, Kirk, Payne, Aneke etc

It's the same situation where we released the out of contract Pratley who could have done a job, and kept the in contract Watson because we were stuck with him..
  • Ah. Now I see it.
    When Andy Scott said we are looking at players from the league above, he actually meant crocked players from the league above.

Par for the course.
    Don’t expect Andy Scott to be anything but economically with the truth about players.
  • Sponsored links:

It’s pretty certain Peterborough are looking for £1.25 million as a minimum. Way too much for a 29 year old league one player despite his goal record. He didn’t really cut it in The Championship and at 29 he has no resale value. Nombe by way of comparison is 24 and on the way up. We’ve had a bid of £500k knocked back and I doubt our ceiling is very much higher than that. I think both might well go this window but in my opinion we won’t be the destination for either. I’ve always thought that it would take three windows to get our squad close enough for a promotion push and I still do. 

Have long been of the opinion that given footballs disparity 3 windows rarely happens as the better players leave (Leaburn won't be here in 3 windows for example and nor will Dobson in all likelihood if we are still building in L1).
    Appreciate Bolton have managed to keep their better players together a while but we have not done that for years and have a youth team with well known success so teams watch us.
    There were people on here saying things like "glad we didn't go up because we were not ready and need more windows" in that first season TS owned us I remember and I found that baffling at the time too.
    Of course you’d rather go up straight away and that’s always preferable. But there’s plenty of examples of teams who have built over multiple windows - Luton, Plymouth, Bolton to name just a few. What you need is a clear style of play and a good recruitment set up to recruit players that fit it so if you do lose players it doesn’t matter as much. And even if your manager is poached like Luton/Plymouth you can recruit a new one who fits the style (or promote from within for Plymouth) so that isn’t a problem. 

With Sandgaard, ESI and Roland we had neither of those things which is why we haven’t had any long term success in that period. Sandgaard talked like he was going to do these things but we didn’t have either which is why he failed 

Have long been of the opinion that given footballs disparity 3 windows rarely happens as the better players leave (Leaburn won't be here in 3 windows for example and nor will Dobson in all likelihood if we are still building in L1).
    Appreciate Bolton have managed to keep their better players together a while but we have not done that for years and have a youth team with well known success so teams watch us.
    There were people on here saying things like "glad we didn't go up because we were not ready and need more windows" in that first season TS owned us I remember and I found that baffling at the time too.
    Dobson is, like JCH, out of contract in a year. Unless we can get him to extend, and quickly I would suggest, surely he will leave for a Championship summer for free next summer.
  • I don’t get the Andy Scott bashing. I know January wasn’t a huge success but he got rid of the dead wood.

He comes to the club with an excellent CV and experience. Fans moan when we hire people with no experience (Martin) and slate people with experience.

Sadly, our squad is a mess due to the past two summers, and it will take a few windows to sort out. 
    Its the lack of communication and action that some of us are moaning about.

If we accept the transformation needs 2 or 3 summers and that is the club's message, then we either can go along with it or vote with our feet. Guess we will see what happens in the autumn. 

Scott must know that the fans will demand more and the club needs to look at how it communicates with the fans, if it wants to retain support.

Just because these guys are new does not mean that fans will go along regardless.
  • swordfish said:
    I don't know what to make of it all present tbh. Some signs of improvement if what I watched the other night was typical, but we're still hampered by injuries and depleted without quality cover.

I suspect not being able to shift deadwood is making transfers in an issue budget wise having been told it was a agreed ages ago. It's still early season, but I get why some are impatient and expressing concerns. 

If the new owners were to proclaim that it might take a couple of years to sort out the shortcomings of the squad that's proceeded them, no one wants to hear that but it might be the reality as we fell well short last season. We need a signing or two to give us renewed hope and the Club a lift.
    That's it - you have expressed it brilliantly. Many fans are fed up and it will need some inspired leadership to get people on side.

I'm still going to the games, but that will not last if we stumble along like the last few seasons, with no proof that it might get better.

Dobson is, like JCH, out of contract in a year. Unless we can get him to extend, and quickly I would suggest, surely he will leave for a Championship summer for free next summer.
    I think we’d have a chance of retaining him. He’s settled and clearly likes it here and is captain. I’d hope the new owners would be able to offer him a contract at least near to what a lower championship team would offer him, and I don’t think he’s quite good enough for a top championship side that would have a larger budget 
  • NabySarr said:
    Should be pulling out all the stops to get JCH. 

I think we’d have a chance of retaining him. He’s settled and clearly likes it here and is captain. I’d hope the new owners would be able to offer him a contract at least near to what a lower championship team would offer him, and I don’t think he’s quite good enough for a top championship side that would have a larger budget 
    If he walks on a free then his wages for a new club would reflect that. 
  • thenewbie said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    MrBurns said:
    Any names mentioned?

Cosgrove but competition from Blackpool and " one other that hasn't been mentioned anywhere"
    Aha, how convenient. If it is Cosgrove (as rumoured both here and elsewhere) there's some ITK points. If it's literally anyone else we have something vague enough to try and claim that as ITK too. Superb work.

Cynicism aside given we apparently had a few of the Consortium turn up to watch us get turned over by Bristol bloody City then I genuinely wouldn't be amazed if that hasn't maybe opened a few eyes (and wallets) and our striker search suddenly became a bit more urgent. (NOT ITK - purely speculative.)
    Worse - Bristol bloody Rovers.
    Think getting turned over is very wide of the mark , Rovers would have snatched your hand off at HT for a draw … and if they went down to 10 men it would have ended 1-1 or most likey a win for us 
    But how did it end and who took the 3 points?