Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• How long has Scott been a full time employee at Charlton?
  • How long has Scott been a full time employee at Charlton?

2-3 weeks ish? 
  • At least the mods won't be able to hide your survey this time @bertpalmer
  • Sponsored links:

• Id have Lyle back if possible
    Hmmm, that’d be both sets of fans booing him 
  • Troy Deeney signs for Forest Green Rovers as player/coach
  • Should be pulling out all the stops to get JCH. 
    It’s pretty certain Peterborough are looking for £1.25 million as a minimum. Way too much for a 29 year old league one player despite his goal record. He didn’t really cut it in The Championship and at 29 he has no resale value. Nombe by way of comparison is 24 and on the way up. We’ve had a bid of £500k knocked back and I doubt our ceiling is very much higher than that. I think both might well go this window but in my opinion we won’t be the destination for either. I’ve always thought that it would take three windows to get our squad close enough for a promotion push and I still do. 
    They may be looking for that but they have to sell him this window or his value is a fraction at the next one, I’m sure L1 teams are playing the waiting game.
  • Of course it isn't a good thing if not addressed but it could be if our shortcomings are addressed before the window closes. There are lots of sides in this league you can go on runs against but they are competent enough doing the basics if youare short in a characteristic like scoring goals. This it will take time narrative which is creeping in is understandable but what does that actually mean? Have we given up on this season? If nothing happens between now and the end of the month I might but I am still reasonably optimistic.
  • edited August 2023
    Hmmm. I think it a shame that how a player leaves a Club should sully his reputation with the fans if overall he has been a force for good. 

There are also plenty of players who have questionable attitude that we might sign but don't know that yet. In Lyle's case, we do, but did he ever let us down on the pitch? It's hard to say he's not what we need right now, because if he's fit and ready to play, he's a goal threat and absolutely is.

Spoke to a Forest fan the other day who knew how Taylor left us and understood why we would be sceptical about a return, but he was complimentary about how he had conducted himself in and around their squad when he knew he wasn't in contention for a berth in the team. Professional was the word he used. It's one view of course.
  • In the end I would get over it if he signed and was successful but Lyle Taylor refused to play and likely cost us our Championship place.

My pet peeve is idiots who boo every ex player who turns up at the Valley but he is one who truly deserves it, so many other strikers I would prefer.  
  • ross1 said:
    Troy Deeney signs for Forest Green Rovers as player/coach
    I can see him and Inniss having a scrap…I don’t know why but cant see them getting on. 
  • I doubt it's even up for suggestion on Taylor to be honest, however i am torn. I can never forgive him for what he did, however would i be willing to take him back if he was to provide the same levels of performance that he did for us? without question. Fickle people aren't we
  • Sponsored links:

• My striker wish list of feasible names mentioned would be

JCH
    Ladapo
    Cosgrove
    Domble
    Lyle Taylor

Although I'm sure we have the budget for any of them
  • I must admit, my gut feeling is Ladapo would be a nice fit for us.
  • i don't get it - 1.25 million is too much for a prolific goalscoring 29 year old since when? The guy will be at his peak right now, probably got at least another 4 years in him.

Oh but we should deffo go for 33 year old Taylor who has barely kicked a ball for 2 years... makes loads of sense that.

• TeeC said:
    Really not convinced it requires 3 windows (18 months) to build something to get out of this league. 7 or 8 good signings and decent manager could work.  
    in theory yes but not with the squad we’re starting from 
    I think im heading for a promote with this one

btw whats a promote ?
  • i don't get it - 1.25 million is too much for a prolific goalscoring 29 year old since when? The guy will be at his peak right now, probably got at least another 4 years in him.

Oh but we should deffo go for 33 year old Taylor who has barely kicked a ball for 2 years... makes loads of sense that.

It is too much for us. If you are going to pay that much, you want a chance of getting at least some of it back. I can understand that. I don't think we should go for Taylor but he isn't costing 1.25m.
    I think im heading for a promote with this one

btw whats a promote ?

Something we seem incapable of achieving...🙄