Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    I expect it to be a younger striker that has some resale value , as opposed to a JCH. Whether that ends up being Nombe or not I'm not sure. 

Feels like the signings bar May are trending towards younger players that could get us promoted and then still be good enough to step up. 
    And May was a freebie so the fact there is no resale value doesn't really matter but I agree if we are spend a million on a striker I don't think it will be JCH.

May cost anything from 250 to 400k depending on who you believe. He wasn't out of contract.
  • fenaddick said:
    Should be pulling out all the stops to get JCH. 
    was chatting to a Peterborough season ticket holder today about JCH and the first thing he said was that JCH isn’t good enough for the Championship. Absolutely no point paying 7 figures and probably a high wage to a player who probably will have to be offloaded if we get promoted. We’d basically be in a Kirk scenario again
    To be honest i'd rather cross that bridge when we come to it. Not signing a player because he might not be able to do it in the league above.......when you haven't yet got out of the league you're in, seems a bit silly to me. 

Get out of this league first and then worry about who may or may not be good enough for the championship. Although i do get why the management team would prefer Nombe given his age and potential.
    A nice headache to have being in the league above, I also don't think 12 goals is a bad return as long as other players are scoring.

I actually like signing the older players in their prime as it's less likely they leave. You get a player in their late 20s/early 30s in to partner May and provided they're good, that's likely our strike force for the next 3 seasons.

I would much rather that than worry about losing a young player every transfer window 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I expect it to be a younger striker that has some resale value , as opposed to a JCH. Whether that ends up being Nombe or not I'm not sure. 

Feels like the signings bar May are trending towards younger players that could get us promoted and then still be good enough to step up. 
    And May was a freebie so the fact there is no resale value doesn't really matter but I agree if we are spend a million on a striker I don't think it will be JCH.

May cost anything from 250 to 400k depending on who you believe. He wasn't out of contract.
    Yeah sorry my mistake.
  • MarcusH26 said:

He cost 275.000

• I would take Nesta Guinness-Walker, I know we have Edun now but good competition for a player with upside. 

• Tom Holmes is a decent player, but would cost way more than we could afford
  • Holmes will have most of the championship after him. Way out of our budget. Guinness-Walker wouldn't be a bad shout as cover at fullback. 
  • i don't get it - 1.25 million is too much for a prolific goalscoring 29 year old since when? The guy will be at his peak right now, probably got at least another 4 years in him.

Oh but we should deffo go for 33 year old Taylor who has barely kicked a ball for 2 years... makes loads of sense that.

Lyle Taylor. Sole achievement of his career was promotion with us via the play off final. 
    Yes, he’s earned a few quid since then, but can’t see him being the player he was back then. Gotta let it go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    We've had the "sh*t Andy Carroll" in Josh Davison, why not the real thing  :D 
     Just as big a sick note as Chuks
  • TeeC said:
    Really not convinced it requires 3 windows (18 months) to build something to get out of this league. 7 or 8 good signings and decent manager could work.  
    Yeah they could. But it does take a bit of time. Look at Ipswich, took their new owners 3 transfer windows and a change of manager to get the team capable of promotion.
  • Nombe might be younger than JCH, but is he as good?

Just worrying about resale value is pointless, if they're not actually that good in the first place. Kirk, Lavelle, DJ etc were meant to be our future stars...
    Agree, and as well as ability we need the right type of striker to partner May. Is Nombe good at holding up the ball, winning headers, picking out a pass etc?
  • BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    Again, only way to 'flip' the club is to make it more valuable, only way to make it more valuable is to get us promoted, and then promoted again or at the very least challenging the top 6 in the Championship.

If you have a problem with them trying to flip the club in a few years time because that's what's happened, then that's only a good thing?!
    Agree, but what makes you think this lot are any better than their predecessors ?

They might end up losing a lot of money and we might end up in another crisis.

No problem with them flipping the club, but that will need a plan, good management and investment.

What they have is a loss making football operation, so making it valuable will need a team that will fill the Valley.

Because the people involved day to day are football people. 

RD wasnt a football person he was a politician that decided he could do football differently with a network of clubs that shared information and players on the cheap, and put in place people like KM and TD who weren't suited to run/work for a club like us. 

The less said about both ESI groups the better, none of them were actually competent to run a bath, let alone a football club.

TS put people like his son and his wife/girlfriend/fuck buddy in charge of many things and didn't see fit to hire anyone else for the SMT until very late on in his tenure.

This lot have people who have ran clubs before, who are ex professional footballers, ex managers, people who have been there and done that. 

They have been here 4 weeks, that's nowhere near enough time to judge if they're doing to be a success or not. 

But fuck me if the whining on here doesn't look like a bunch of entitled, spoilt brats that throw toys out of the pram constantly, it's tiresome. 

I'd like nothing more than for them to come out, lay out a 5 year plan in front of us all, like the wankers beforehand, but then actually manage to follow through with it, but it's not going to work like that. 

I'd also like them to just go and spunk £15m up the wall on players for us to absolutely walk the league and give us a really strong foundation for next season, but again it's not going to work like that.

But hey let's all sit on a football forum and constantly moan and complain and vent our spleens every day because that's going to make all the difference isn't it?
    Realistically, we all know it will take time.

Maybe some of us have seen this all too often at Charlton hence the cynicism.

Tiresome it is.
    3rd summer window in a row where we've had owner(s) indicating they want promotion but doing much about it. I know I start my rantings earlier than most but it's been the same since Sandgaard properly took over. Lots of talk but little action (admittedly this lot have at least brought in 3 or 4 decent players) and posters still saying "but there's still 2 weeks to go until the window shuts" ignoring we've had 10 weeks before now to assemble a decent squad. Last season Ipswich strengthened well, this season Pompey did.....and look where they are in the table. 

I'm just looking forward to the January window.....at least that one only lasts 31 days !!
    Pompey you sure … if we had brought in any of the Pompey signings fans would have slated them .. any clubs can bring  8/9 free players 
    And make it look good but .. the better teams wait and bring in quality 
    The current table says otherwise. 

Obviously the season is over 46 games, but starting the season with 1 hand tied behind your back (sound familiar ?) isn't helpful.  
  • Anyone checked out Grecian Life recently, to see what the vibe is on Nombe?
    Sam Nombe's thread where most of the chat was has dropped to Page 3, on their summer transfers thread there's no mention of any club in for him, although the general consensus on there seems to be that he will go. 

I had a look on twitter or 'X' and no journos are mentioning Nombe. Just seen a few fans from clubs such as Coventry, Swansea a few other championship sides and then a few league 1 sides like Peterborough's fans saying they'd like to sign him.

It's all rather quiet other than Dabo
    No, but you could perhaps ..... ? :smiley:

Sorry,just kidding!

Sam Nombe's thread where most of the chat was has dropped to Page 3, on their summer transfers thread there's no mention of any club in for him, although the general consensus on there seems to be that he will go. 

I had a look on twitter or 'X' and no journos are mentioning Nombe. Just seen a few fans from clubs such as Coventry, Swansea a few other championship sides and then a few league 1 sides like Peterborough's fans saying they'd like to sign him.

It's all rather quiet other than Dabo
    Haven't signed any other strikers either I don't think, and considering they were probably short already with Stansfield returning to Fulham, you might expect rhem to buy before any possible sale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Might be worth looking at a few of the players in league 2. Mo Eisa for one, his contract expires next summer and he's 29, MK Dons might be looking to get a few back, can't imagine it will be anymore than the 400k mark. He's played the full 90 of all their fixtures so far except coming off in the 85th minute on one occasion. Scored every game so far so would be ready to go. Quick, tall and I imagine would work well in a 2. 

I think league 2 players can easily make the step up, you just have to find the ones who are performing at a consistent high level there. As an example Owen Moxon, lot of eyes on him and he's already bagged 2 goals and looks very comfortable according to social media.

There will be players who are better than players at this club and on less wages and we could probably afford to purchase. It's just about finding the right ones and not all of Swindon's team.

Far too fit, we don't want "oven ready" players  :D

Eisa is a good call, someone with plenty of local experience, and having been a L1 regular for the last 4 seasons, he's really a L1 player playing below his natural level now.
  • NabySarr said:
    Dubai mentioned FFP on here, Reams has now mentioned ‘risk of embargo’ on the other forum. I hope I’m wrong but it does feel like we are starting to hear the excuses already. And we can assume that it’s a message that’s probably come from the owners if it’s those 2 both saying it. Again I really hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look great and for me it’s not a good enough excuse when they did due diligence so knew the situation they were walking into.

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. Because it does seem silly that they would overpay for the club and then not back it properly in the first summer, so hopefully just a coincidence that both posters have mentioned it recently 

I posted more or less the same thing but somebody (possibly carly burn) came back to ask whether there is any evidence that they did actually pay this inflated price which is a good point. We've read about 10/12mill & taken it as gospel but who knows ?
  • As I understand it, a cash injection doesn’t help the current season as there is a lag between turnover and investment in the FFP calculation. The benchmark for 23/24 wages etc is 60% of 22/23 turnover.
  • https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

Doesn't say equity can't be used in current year calculations.
  • I can’t find it either but that’s what I’ve been told by a pretty reliable source!
  • We've had the "sh*t Andy Carroll" in Josh Davison, why not the real thing  :D 
    someone to keep Chuks company in the treatment room
  • CAFC69 said:
    I can’t find it either but that’s what I’ve been told by a pretty reliable source!
    Depends on if that is somebody from the current SMT .... serving their own purpose?