Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• When Alfie May was the only new player fit to play from day 1 ( others did but short of required levels) and with no Leaburn to play as his partner I'm surprised that Charlton fan/critics now sound shocked by our indifferent start.
    How were we going to hit the ground running when we were so undercooked and made worse with the injuries to Campbell and especially Fraser who I was hoping for big things with his link up play with Alfie.

So pleased with Edun but shame that he is still getting up to speed with stamina.

The cramping issues is a major concern as it cost Cafc the match against Rovers.
    Did it? I thought what cost us was not putting away chances when we had them, and then a collective defensive laspse at the end
  • has this thread morphed into the takeover thread?
  • edited August 2023
    Edit. Deleted as already mentioned above
  • NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dubai mentioned FFP on here, Reams has now mentioned ‘risk of embargo’ on the other forum. I hope I’m wrong but it does feel like we are starting to hear the excuses already. And we can assume that it’s a message that’s probably come from the owners if it’s those 2 both saying it. Again I really hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look great and for me it’s not a good enough excuse when they did due diligence so knew the situation they were walking into.

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. Because it does seem silly that they would overpay for the club and then not back it properly in the first summer, so hopefully just a coincidence that both posters have mentioned it recently 

Well they've both been pushing the owners/methven line all along so doubt this is a coincidence especially as it's not true as long as the investors throw a few quid in the pot 
    Transfer fees are not an issue as I understand, it is the wages that could push us over, so it is trying to get some off the books. 

They will not risk any FFP buying throwing heaps of cash at it, there is money to spend, but it has to be right.

It will not be the Ipswich and Wigan method, which has been said right from the start. By the time of the end of the window, I believe will we have a good squad in place. 
    This is pure speculation from me, but say if we paid off Chuks, Kirk, DJ and Payne and then put in bids for lets say 3 other players and match their salaries. 

Would we be in breach of FFP does anyone know? 

I'm not saying that's what the owners should do as it's a lot of money, just a hypothetical. It's certainly something I would do if I had the money and owned the club. 
    Suppose it depends what clauses they have in their contracts, and if would mean we need to pay money to the clubs they come from.. And if those players accept what we offered them!

They know they need to strength, they know the positions, they have the money, and the players we are looking at, are not cheap options. 

It is about getting the right players in, on the right deals for the club!
    I have to be honest I ain't got a clue about how all that stuff works. It was my understanding you could make players at your clubs free agents so long as you paid the remainder of what they earned. 

In that example we could pay Kirk his wage for the remainder of his contract as an example and then he's off the books and we have no ties to him. I suppose as you said, it's down to the contract. 

Have any teams actually been promoted from this league in recent years without breaking ffp? Surely Ipswich, Wigan, Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday were all over spending based on their squads? 

I don't know enough about Plymouth, Blackpool, Barnsley etc to know if they went up with the books balanced.
    Some of those clubs have higher revenues than us, plus you do get parachute payments when you have been relegated from the championship which would help those that had been relegated. 

Ipswich and Wigan probably did spend more than 60% of turnover on wages (Ipswich because they spent so much and Wigan because their turnover will have been lower than those clubs) so their owners would have injected equity into the club to cover this. 

Also worth noting that if you sell a player for a fee then that can also be used above the limit, so if any of those clubs sold a player for a few million that would have helped stay within the rules 
    I am about 80% sure that is not correct. if it is correct, it is new, and I may have missed it. But I would be surprised as the settled view of the EFL leadership is that parachute payments from the FAPL should be abolished as part of wider changes to revenue sharing within the pyramid.
    It has always been the case so not anything new, it might be that the Premier league pays for these ones as well? I am not sure 

I’m not sure the EFL leadership is fully against parachute payments, just thinks that they are way too high at the moment for clubs relegated from the Premier league and more of that money should be distributed to the rest of clubs in the EFL 
  • I miss the pre season optimism 
    It was never gonna last long come on...  IF we had got off to a flyer we would be more forgiving of course but this is Charlton, dubious quality, injury prone players mixed with our usual luck with injuries is a fatal combination.

Even I, for a couple of weeks after a tortuous takeover was confident.  I am deflated already and expecting another same old same old season...

A mantra chanted on CL many a year, "it's the hope that kills you", applies yet again.
  • I see Bristol Rovers have signed Jack Hunt, they're building a decent squad there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I see Bristol Rovers have signed Jack Hunt, they're building a decent squad there.
    Don’t think Jack Hunt = decent squad good player in his day but now on the way down and just happy to get a contract anywhere 
    Don’t think Jack Hunt = decent squad good player in his day but now on the way down and just happy to get a contract anywhere 
    Who would you go for Ronnie? Agree about Jack Hunt. 
    His brother Mike is available
    We’ve already got enough of them. 
    If the Coventry bloke hip issue can be managed he a very good player and most likey to good for league one 
    If the Coventry bloke hip issue can be managed he a very good player and most likey to good for league one 
    Another player carrying an injury. 
    Just what we need.
  • sam3110 said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dubai mentioned FFP on here, Reams has now mentioned ‘risk of embargo’ on the other forum. I hope I’m wrong but it does feel like we are starting to hear the excuses already. And we can assume that it’s a message that’s probably come from the owners if it’s those 2 both saying it. Again I really hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look great and for me it’s not a good enough excuse when they did due diligence so knew the situation they were walking into.

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. Because it does seem silly that they would overpay for the club and then not back it properly in the first summer, so hopefully just a coincidence that both posters have mentioned it recently 

Well they've both been pushing the owners/methven line all along so doubt this is a coincidence especially as it's not true as long as the investors throw a few quid in the pot 
    Transfer fees are not an issue as I understand, it is the wages that could push us over, so it is trying to get some off the books. 

They will not risk any FFP buying throwing heaps of cash at it, there is money to spend, but it has to be right.

It will not be the Ipswich and Wigan method, which has been said right from the start. By the time of the end of the window, I believe will we have a good squad in place. 
    This is pure speculation from me, but say if we paid off Chuks, Kirk, DJ and Payne and then put in bids for lets say 3 other players and match their salaries. 

I'm not saying that's what the owners should do as it's a lot of money, just a hypothetical. It's certainly something I would do if I had the money and owned the club. 
    Suppose it depends what clauses they have in their contracts, and if would mean we need to pay money to the clubs they come from.. And if those players accept what we offered them!

They know they need to strength, they know the positions, they have the money, and the players we are looking at, are not cheap options. 

I have to be honest I ain't got a clue about how all that stuff works. It was my understanding you could make players at your clubs free agents so long as you paid the remainder of what they earned. 

In that example we could pay Kirk his wage for the remainder of his contract as an example and then he's off the books and we have no ties to him. I suppose as you said, it's down to the contract. 

Have any teams actually been promoted from this league in recent years without breaking ffp? Surely Ipswich, Wigan, Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday were all over spending based on their squads? 

I don't know enough about Plymouth, Blackpool, Barnsley etc to know if they went up with the books balanced.
    Some of those clubs have higher revenues than us, plus you do get parachute payments when you have been relegated from the championship which would help those that had been relegated. 

Ipswich and Wigan probably did spend more than 60% of turnover on wages (Ipswich because they spent so much and Wigan because their turnover will have been lower than those clubs) so their owners would have injected equity into the club to cover this. 

Also worth noting that if you sell a player for a fee then that can also be used above the limit, so if any of those clubs sold a player for a few million that would have helped stay within the rules 
    I am about 80% sure that is not correct. if it is correct, it is new, and I may have missed it. But I would be surprised as the settled view of the EFL leadership is that parachute payments from the FAPL should be abolished as part of wider changes to revenue sharing within the pyramid.
    Do Other English Leagues Provide Parachute Payments?
    Yes, the Championship, League One and League Two all provide some form of parachute payments to the sides that are relegated. The Championship will provide teams that are relegated from England’s second league with 11.1% of the Basic Award payment that is given to Championship club for a single season.

League One provides clubs that are relegated from England’s third league with 12.6% of the Basic Award to League One sides for a single season. League Two provides 100% of the Basic Award for the first year following relegation and 50% in the second year.

I've seen the above quoted on a number of websites @PragueAddick not sure how reliable it is though
    It must be correct then. However it is not going to pay for much. It’s only one season whereas FAPL covers three seasons (unless club gets back to FAPL before then). Maybe thats why it isnt much discussed. Sunderland under Methven still had FAPL parachute money! That was a big financial advantage, and they used it sooooo well🤣
    Just what we need.
    He not or we would not get insurance for him and would not be able to do a deal .. 
  • Sponsored links:

Just what we need.
    He not or we would not get insurance for him and would not be able to do a deal .. 
    You have just said on your last post that he has  a  hip issue that needs to be managed. 
    Too
  • I'm all out of patience and I'm not interested in excuses.
    Put up or shut up, the clock is ticking
    100% this. The lines being delivered by the usual suspects are so fucking transparent as well.
  • NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:

It has always been the case so not anything new, it might be that the Premier league pays for these ones as well? I am not sure 

I’m not sure the EFL leadership is fully against parachute payments, just thinks that they are way too high at the moment for clubs relegated from the Premier league and more of that money should be distributed to the rest of clubs in the EFL 
    I stand corrected that they exist, as I’ve mentioned above before I saw your post. Re where the EFL stand on them, I’m basing that on what Kieran Maguire has said. He was a key contributor to the Fan Led Review and argued strongly there for their abolition. He has many times made the argument on his podcast. I think he said it was an uphill struggle to get the EFL to adopt his line, but they got there and I believe the current negotiations with the FAPL assume they are to be replaced with a fixed %, which the EFL would then pay its clubs according to their final league position as the FAPL do. 
  • I miss the pre season optimism 
    I miss being linked with players and bringing them in. All we have done so far is replace outgoing players which has all that's been done by previous owners.

Early signs showed we could look forward to more than that, I understand people's frustration, especially when the points have been dropped because of the lack of the players we need. 

A little under 2 weeks to go and I really don't want to see no super duper phone bollocks again. It will be extremely underwhelming 
  • Unless a deal is done but not announced another weekend without enough options upfront beckons.
  • Thought someone in the know claimed we were meant to be signing a striker before Saturday, have we and I missed it? I think the deadline for him to play on Saturday has now passed.