Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• TeeC said:
    Really not convinced it requires 3 windows (18 months) to build something to get out of this league. 7 or 8 good signings and decent manager could work.  
    Given we've done it twice before basically in a single window, it shouldn't be impossible. I'm pretty doubtful that this window will be one where we complete the hattrick though.
  • edited August 2023
    i don't get it - 1.25 million is too much for a prolific goalscoring 29 year old since when? The guy will be at his peak right now, probably got at least another 4 years in him.

Oh but we should deffo go for 33 year old Taylor who has barely kicked a ball for 2 years... makes loads of sense that.

Agreed if Taylor hadn't played for us and we were linked with a 33 year old striker who's hardly scored a goal or even played in 2 years everybody would be calling out the new owners for being skint.

It really is time to move on from him.
  • Think LT could do a job, but maybe needs to get on his hands and knees, perfect foil for May as he would take the pressure of May who would thrive.
  • Leuth said:
    I've heard we're in for Dion Charles
    Leuth, wake up mate!!
  • BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    Again, only way to 'flip' the club is to make it more valuable, only way to make it more valuable is to get us promoted, and then promoted again or at the very least challenging the top 6 in the Championship.

If you have a problem with them trying to flip the club in a few years time because that's what's happened, then that's only a good thing?!
    Agree, but what makes you think this lot are any better than their predecessors ?

They might end up losing a lot of money and we might end up in another crisis.

No problem with them flipping the club, but that will need a plan, good management and investment.

What they have is a loss making football operation, so making it valuable will need a team that will fill the Valley.

Because the people involved day to day are football people. 

RD wasnt a football person he was a politician that decided he could do football differently with a network of clubs that shared information and players on the cheap, and put in place people like KM and TD who weren't suited to run/work for a club like us. 

The less said about both ESI groups the better, none of them were actually competent to run a bath, let alone a football club.

TS put people like his son and his wife/girlfriend/fuck buddy in charge of many things and didn't see fit to hire anyone else for the SMT until very late on in his tenure.

This lot have people who have ran clubs before, who are ex professional footballers, ex managers, people who have been there and done that. 

They have been here 4 weeks, that's nowhere near enough time to judge if they're doing to be a success or not. 

But fuck me if the whining on here doesn't look like a bunch of entitled, spoilt brats that throw toys out of the pram constantly, it's tiresome. 

I'd like nothing more than for them to come out, lay out a 5 year plan in front of us all, like the wankers beforehand, but then actually manage to follow through with it, but it's not going to work like that. 

I'd also like them to just go and spunk £15m up the wall on players for us to absolutely walk the league and give us a really strong foundation for next season, but again it's not going to work like that.

But hey let's all sit on a football forum and constantly moan and complain and vent our spleens every day because that's going to make all the difference isn't it?
    Realistically, we all know it will take time.

Maybe some of us have seen this all too often at Charlton hence the cynicism.

Tiresome it is.
    3rd summer window in a row where we've had owner(s) indicating they want promotion but doing much about it. I know I start my rantings earlier than most but it's been the same since Sandgaard properly took over. Lots of talk but little action (admittedly this lot have at least brought in 3 or 4 decent players) and posters still saying "but there's still 2 weeks to go until the window shuts" ignoring we've had 10 weeks before now to assemble a decent squad. Last season Ipswich strengthened well, this season Pompey did.....and look where they are in the table. 

I'm just looking forward to the January window.....at least that one only lasts 31 days !!
    Pompey you sure … if we had brought in any of the Pompey signings fans would have slated them .. any clubs can bring  8/9 free players 
    And make it look good but .. the better teams wait and bring in quality 
    Successful teams build quality starting 11's and bolster their squad with frees and loans, definitely at this level.

We've brought in better players than last year (on paper) but have a weaker and less experienced squad.

im mr half glass full but we need 3/4 quality players and then premier league loans to boost the squad. I can't see it happening.

im not blaming Scott or the new owners, they have a difficult job that will take time. I expect us to challenge for the play offs and improve on last  year. If we get in, we will sneak in but we are a long way off the top two as things stand.
  • This is now the Lyle Taylor thread. So when do we reckon he will resign? 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    My striker wish list of feasible names mentioned would be

JCH
    Ladapo
    Cosgrove
    Domble
    Lyle Taylor

Although I'm sure we have the budget for any of them
    We do for 4 of them 
  • BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    sam3110 said:
    Again, only way to 'flip' the club is to make it more valuable, only way to make it more valuable is to get us promoted, and then promoted again or at the very least challenging the top 6 in the Championship.

If you have a problem with them trying to flip the club in a few years time because that's what's happened, then that's only a good thing?!
    Agree, but what makes you think this lot are any better than their predecessors ?

They might end up losing a lot of money and we might end up in another crisis.

No problem with them flipping the club, but that will need a plan, good management and investment.

What they have is a loss making football operation, so making it valuable will need a team that will fill the Valley.

Because the people involved day to day are football people. 

RD wasnt a football person he was a politician that decided he could do football differently with a network of clubs that shared information and players on the cheap, and put in place people like KM and TD who weren't suited to run/work for a club like us. 

The less said about both ESI groups the better, none of them were actually competent to run a bath, let alone a football club.

TS put people like his son and his wife/girlfriend/fuck buddy in charge of many things and didn't see fit to hire anyone else for the SMT until very late on in his tenure.

This lot have people who have ran clubs before, who are ex professional footballers, ex managers, people who have been there and done that. 

They have been here 4 weeks, that's nowhere near enough time to judge if they're doing to be a success or not. 

But fuck me if the whining on here doesn't look like a bunch of entitled, spoilt brats that throw toys out of the pram constantly, it's tiresome. 

I'd like nothing more than for them to come out, lay out a 5 year plan in front of us all, like the wankers beforehand, but then actually manage to follow through with it, but it's not going to work like that. 

I'd also like them to just go and spunk £15m up the wall on players for us to absolutely walk the league and give us a really strong foundation for next season, but again it's not going to work like that.

But hey let's all sit on a football forum and constantly moan and complain and vent our spleens every day because that's going to make all the difference isn't it?
    Realistically, we all know it will take time.

Maybe some of us have seen this all too often at Charlton hence the cynicism.

Tiresome it is.
    3rd summer window in a row where we've had owner(s) indicating they want promotion but doing much about it. I know I start my rantings earlier than most but it's been the same since Sandgaard properly took over. Lots of talk but little action (admittedly this lot have at least brought in 3 or 4 decent players) and posters still saying "but there's still 2 weeks to go until the window shuts" ignoring we've had 10 weeks before now to assemble a decent squad. Last season Ipswich strengthened well, this season Pompey did.....and look where they are in the table. 

I'm just looking forward to the January window.....at least that one only lasts 31 days !!
    Pompey you sure … if we had brought in any of the Pompey signings fans would have slated them .. any clubs can bring  8/9 free players 
    And make it look good but .. the better teams wait and bring in quality 
    Successful teams build quality starting 11's and bolster their squad with frees and loans, definitely at this level.

We've brought in better players than last year (on paper) but have a weaker and less experienced squad.

im mr half glass full but we need 3/4 quality players and then premier league loans to boost the squad. I can't see it happening.

im not blaming Scott or the new owners, they have a difficult job that will take time. I expect us to challenge for the play offs and improve on last  year. If we get in, we will sneak in but we are a long way off the top two as things stand.
    Exactly
    Take care of the starting 11
    Loans and our youth players to add to it, not form the basis of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrBurns said:
    This is now the Lyle Taylor thread. So when do we reckon he will resign? 
    He’s gotta be under contract first before he resigns from us a second time. 
  • MrBurns said:
    This is now the Lyle Taylor thread. So when do we reckon he will resign? 
    Resign? Probably with 9 games to go again 

• supaclive said:
    Bolton were in League 2, 3 windows ago
    They assembled a great squad, for a pittance and now they are favourites to go up
    It CAN be done
    If you sign hungry, good players.  The best in your division or the division below.
    I'm not sure waiting for Championship players is the way forward 
    Especially as we are desperate for fit, ambitious players.
    What ambition leaving the Championship for Charlton, unless you are out of contract?

Think there’s been some crossed lines of communication here.

Scott said in the latest interview we were competing with Championship clubs for players. Not necessarily that the players themselves are from Championship clubs.

That could refer to Premier League loans or talented L1/L2 players…
    That’s the worrying bit, every time we been up against Championship clubs for a player we’ve lost.
  • supaclive said:
    They assembled a great squad, for a pittance and now they are favourites to go up
    It CAN be done
    If you sign hungry, good players.  The best in your division or the division below.
    What ambition leaving the Championship for Charlton, unless you are out of contract?

Scott said in the latest interview we were competing with Championship clubs for players. Not necessarily that the players themselves are from Championship clubs.

That’s the worrying bit, every time we been up against Championship clubs for a player we’ve lost.
    Not surprising really!  It's like we should be happy we're trying for players we realistically can't and won't sign.....
  • I've heard we're looking to sign a Bolton forward with the initials DC
  • ValleyBen said:
    Our best two players so far this season are both out of contract next summer, hopefully we are also working on getting them signed up on lucrative new deals nice and early.

If we are going to build slowly then we need to not have to worry about replacing our actual talent. 
    Don't need to worry about contracts till Jan 
  • supaclive said:
    It CAN be done

We fought off championship interest for Edun, Taylor and Camara btw.
    Great to confirm Lyle’s coming back.
  • edited August 2023
    Scoham said:
    supaclive said:
    It CAN be done

We fought off championship interest for Edun, Taylor and Camara btw.
    Great to confirm Lyle’s coming back.
    Last seen sculking out of the exit door...🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    I've heard we're looking to sign a Bolton forward with the initials DC
    Oi, get your own material matey that's my joke
  • I've heard we're looking to sign a new joke transfer rumour. From a League One club in the Greater Manchester area 
  • Got a sneaky feeling he will have a solid season in Serie A. Actually wanted us to get him cause you can't really teach what he seems to have,

ah well, Sam Nombe, JCH & Cosgrove will do
  • I expect it to be a younger striker that has some resale value , as opposed to a JCH. Whether that ends up being Nombe or not I'm not sure. 

Feels like the signings bar May are trending towards younger players that could get us promoted and then still be good enough to step up. 
  • edited August 2023
    Think LT could do a job, but maybe he needs to get on his hands and knees, perfect foil for May as he would take the pressure of May who would thrive.
    We've enough players already who might as well be on theirs 🙄
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I expect it to be a younger striker that has some resale value , as opposed to a JCH. Whether that ends up being Nombe or not I'm not sure. 

Feels like the signings bar May are trending towards younger players that could get us promoted and then still be good enough to step up. 
    And May was a freebie so the fact there is no resale value doesn't really matter but I agree if we are spend a million on a striker I don't think it will be JCH.