Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Its hard as our SMT/the club will have its valuation of a player

theres a fine line between showing ambition and getting the players you want and being mugged off by the selling club

we obvs dont think hes worth the million plus he is going for so we move on

if we dont go for similar quality to him though and its a cheap downgrade then questions will be asked
  • We signed a striker yet?
  • He'll end up at a championship team in a few years for 5 millions plus probably 
  • When we made a supposed 500k bid it was a goer.

Unfortunately that didn’t meet Exeter’s valuation so it didn’t progress.

The only strange thing about it is that transfers are usually a *negotiation* while this one never really turned out that way. No improved second bid from Charlton etc.

I have my suspicions as to why

Feels the same as the last player we tried to sign from Exeter , offer an initial bid and then the player goes for £1m 
  • th0rryy said:
    Isted, Jones, Edun, Camara, Taylor & May is a great window! 
    Add that to Hector, Dobbo, Fraser & Leaburn and we’ve completely rebuilt the spine of the team with a lot of ability! 

Any side with that list of players should absolutely be in the mix come May. 
    As hilarious as this would be, this is not CM - but I suspect this is probably pretty close to the view of him and/or whoever in charge of the purse strings.

I don't see Holden dropping AM-B for Isted (and didn't think he would pre-season), so Isted has been signed as cover. Edun and May have been broadly positive within a currently struggling side. Camará has had glimpses, whilst Jones and Taylor still have work to do to impress and show they are upgrades rather than just like-for-like replacements for Inniss and Morgan.

Any way you look at it, we should have brought someone in as soon as Leaburn got injured. Even if he was fit, I'd still want two more strikers in so that we could go let Kanu loose on a decent L2 loan - this squad desperately lacks experience. Cosgrove in on loan sounds good in theory, but the comments about him from other fans concern me - in a dream world, I'd want one of Nombe/Al-Hamadi/JC-H/Ladapo PLUS Cosgrove. It's not difficult for anyone with some level of football understanding to highlight and identify that as a massive issue for this team.

Dabo will come in to help sure up the RB/RWB area. I'd also beg, borrow and steal to bring in Moxon and shift the dead weight that is Kirk, giving an option over Fraser (who I still see as not mobile enough) and allow Anderson to become the impact sub. Any other areas would be stretch goals - I still have concerns over CB, but I don't think we'd get another decent one that is an significant upgrade. Allowing for a consistent CB partnership to develop with a set system of 3 or 4 would help.

I think, realistically, Dabo and one striker comes in, but I'm praying we get two. Moxon is worth the hype to buy now, but needs someone to pay the pennies.
    Unfortunately, having watched all our opening games, the CB area is the one that is most pressing. Without a proper fit, engaged leader we will keep letting in simple goals. problem is, they probably thought this was sorted with Jones signing. No sign of that working yet.
  • Wonder if we would be in for someone like Nelson Oliveira? Just left PAOK in Greece. Played for a few clubs in England before, 32yo so not too many years left but could have an impact like Yann? 
  • Wonder if we would be in for someone like Nelson Oliveira? Just left PAOK in Greece. Played for a few clubs in England before, 32yo so not too many years left but could have an impact like Yann? 

Now that's an interesting name! Been injured a fair bit from what I recall at least when he was over here but definitely knows the EFL. 
    more likely we are after his older brother Horatio.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    We signed a striker yet?
    Yep, nombe 
  • edited August 2023
    I’d be interested to know if no-longer-a-goer Nombe is because his valuation has sky rocketed, or because the owners suddenly realise it’s rather expensive actually running a crappy football club and we’re now looking at loans or frees? 
    Would they still offer £500k now, like they supposedly did six weeks ago when we seemed to be more active?
  • At least Nombe will have more chance of promotion with Barnsley, I would keep Kanu around the 1st team as he has equipped himself well, and if they are good enough, play them! I could even see him get the same amount of goals as May if he can still come on and he has the knack of scoring goals!

We have another one in Casey! let him train with the 1st team, you never know with these players they could be the next Michael Owen or Rooney, just look at the impact they had! They will probably run rings around the back 4 in the training sessions???
  • I hear we're in for a Spanish forward called Nadie, with backup coming in the form of an Italian called Nessuno
  • Wonder if it was Nombe or May ? 
  • Wonder if it was Nombe or May ? 
    I think so...
  • Budget no different from last year obvs.
  • Sponsored links:

• In fairness, in isolation I can understand not going way over your own valuation for a player - ie if we offered 500k and they wanted a mil. Problem is we are in desperate need of a striker and everyone knows it 
  • edited August 2023
    Wonder if we would be in for someone like Nelson Oliveira? Just left PAOK in Greece. Played for a few clubs in England before, 32yo so not too many years left but could have an impact like Yann? 
    more likely we are after his older brother Horatio.
    Horatio Oliveira...🤔🙄
  • jams said:
    In fairness, in isolation I can understand not going way over your own valuation for a player - ie if we offered 500k and they wanted a mil. Problem is we are in desperate need of a striker and everyone knows it 
    Doesnt everyone want a quality striker ? Peterborough paid £1.4m for Clarke-Harris not so long ago. If thats the market for a young striker then if you need one - and you have the money - you pay up and look good. You could easily double or treble that if he turns out to be a big hit. 
  • Every day we go without the quality signings we need it feels more and more like we are in a spivs mk2 situation but this time without even the short term success before running out of the budget they sold the real money people on. 
  • But offering 500k in June or now doesn't change the fact Exeter think he's worth more than that and Charlton don't?
  • sam3110 said:
    But offering 500k in June or now doesn't change the fact Exeter think he's worth more than that and Charlton don't?
    Or we signed May instead and it was one or the other ?
  • Love that we have a thing for having just 1 player in crucial positions over the last few seasons, I'm sure this is the season where it won't backfire 
  • shirty5 said:
    This is really shaping up into a great Charlton transfer window.
    We signed 8 players so yes it’s a very good window already ..expect another 3 perm and 2 loans plus 
    Six so far

May
    Camara
    Isted
    Edun
    Taylor
    Jones

Even the media team say it’s 6 after the signing of Taylor. Unless you are disbelieving what they are writing, then Moore. 

The lad Prince (Keeper) has been signed for the Under 21’s 

The emergence of Anderson & Asiimwe are like a couple of bonus players, but how long can they keep up the performances?

Northern Ireland have had to fast track promising youngsters in recent times, but Michael O'Neil says it's unfair to expect them to get you to a tournament. Like wise is it fair to expect ours to get us promoted?