Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:
    We don't need Cosgrove to score goals, we need him to win/hold up the ball so that May can score goals (and hopefully Leaburn too once fit). 

It wouldn't be super exciting as signings go but it makes sense to me.
    I don’t want a striker that doesn’t score goals thanks 🤣
    I mean he did score goals in this league last time out, 8 goals in 33 games is 1 in 4 ish which is pretty good. If having him up means May has another 20 goal season that's really not bad, if Leaburn can reach double figures then I'd say its probably not going to be goals scored that are the problem - it's the other end.
    1 in 4 is woeful.  Not a stat that will give you a play-off finish position.
    1 in 4 is woeful... if that was his only role and the only source of goals in the team. 1 in 4 is not bad for an impact sub/big guy whose main responsibility is making sure the ball gets to   striker like May.

Cosgrove as an individual player will not ever score enough goals to get a team promoted. But that's not to say he can't be part of an effective team overall 
  • edited August 2023
    I suppose one redeeming feature is that he played for Plymouth last year. With the way they like to play football, I don't think they would have signed a large, immobile, un-technical oaf. 

He played 1400 minutes for them (so let's say around 15 games in total) and scored 8 goals with 2 assists.
  • We think we have a problem removing about three players to other clubs that DH does not want, because others clubs do not want them and they are on good money. Arsenal are rumoured to have seven players training on their own because they are not required and other clubs are not interested and imagine the wages they are on
  • Assuming Cosgrove is coming in then we will soon find out how effective he is and to be fair for every poster called a "whiner", "moaner" or "never happy" there are equally posters on here who talk about every signing like they are the missing link in making us an unbeatable team, a lot of which posters who probably were extremely excited about Kirk & Jaiyesimi, two players we literally cannot give away.
  • I don't get why people think we need a back-up option, off the bench type.

We need a starter, if that means it takes Miles Leaburn time to try and get back in, so be it.

We need a starter, if that means it takes Miles Leaburn time to try and get back in, so be it.
    100% mate. We haven’t got time to presume Miles goes straight back in the starting 11. Once fit he will have to win the place back that’s surely how things should work

If Cosgrove continues scoring at 166 mins per goal and Miles displaces him from the side, making Cosgrove a back up, Miles must be doing something very good.
  • Scoring frequency last season:

Miles Leaburn: 152 mins per goal (1820 mins played)

Alfie May: 168 mins per goal (3354 mins played)

Sam Cosgrove: 166 mins per goal (1320 mins played)

Jayden Stockley: 596 mins per goal (2982 mins played)

Macauley Bonne: 375 mins per goal (752 mins played)

But yeah, Cosgrove *only* scored eight so he must be crap. People aren’t recognising that he was a back up option at his club, exactly what we need him to be, and his last club got promoted as champions.

Rather sign Jordan Rhodes who’s seven years older and very much on the decline.

Seriously don’t understand some of the toys being thrown out of the pram. Sign a striker, no that one’s not sexy enough.
    Is it toys being thrown out of the pram? I see it as a debate whether Cosgrove is definitely a great signing or only one that might be.

He’s 6 ft 3 / 6 ft 4 so I questioned how mobile he is, there aren’t many strikers with that height who don’t lack pace and play at our level.

There’s a risk that last season was a purple patch like Bonne had in the Championship for us.

On the other hand he’s 26 and the best years of his career could be coming up.

I think based on his record it’s fair to question these things. I’m not writing him off, but I’m also not as certain as others are that he’ll be exactly what we need.

We need anybody who is capable of doing a competant job right now.

If he proves to be the best option, he stays in the team. Otherwise, he's cover and impact player.

• Sponsored links:

• BigDiddy said:
    Anyone think Burstow may come back on loan ?? 
    That would be great, but he looks too good for L1.

They may even loan Burstow out to a lower prem club?
    Where did you see him play? I was intrigued when he came on the other day as sub, but not sure he had any involvement. 
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:
    We don't need Cosgrove to score goals, we need him to win/hold up the ball so that May can score goals (and hopefully Leaburn too once fit). 

I mean he did score goals in this league last time out, 8 goals in 33 games is 1 in 4 ish which is pretty good. If having him up means May has another 20 goal season that's really not bad, if Leaburn can reach double figures then I'd say its probably not going to be goals scored that are the problem - it's the other end.
    1 in 4 is woeful... if that was his only role and the only source of goals in the team. 1 in 4 is not bad for an impact sub/big guy whose main responsibility is making sure the ball gets to   striker like May.

Cosgrove as an individual player will not ever score enough goals to get a team promoted. But that's not to say he can't be part of an effective team overall 
    1 in 4 not woeful by a long shot .. at Aberdeen was better then 1 in 3 
  • Chunes said:
    I suppose one redeeming feature is that he played for Plymouth last year. With the way they like to play football, I don't think they would have signed a large, immobile, un-technical oaf. 

He played 1400 minutes for them (so let's say around 15 games in total) and scored 8 goals with 2 assists.
    Cosgrove did look sufficiently mobile in his Argyle video, able to accelerate and not afraid to shoot on the run.
    Moved well putting himself in some good scoring positions also, attacking the ball and positive with his finishing.

I was pleasantly surprised uit of course, it's his 'Goals' video.

We've yet to see his 'Catalogue of Horrendous Misses' video. :)

• IF Leaburn is match fit by mid September he will only miss 2 L1 games, I don't count Oxford, and one of them might be postponed due to the international break,  we also have Kanu available so why rush to bring in a forward who might not be suitable in the long term. Having said that I have no idea of the suitability of Cosgrove but some of you seem to doubt him.
  • thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

It’s also unfair to say 1 in 4 when you’re playing 20 mins per game. His goal scoring record last season was fine, the season before not so good. 
  • I keep hearing Wigan might get called off but what international call ups do we expect? 
  • ValleyBen said:
    Assuming Cosgrove is coming in then we will soon find out how effective he is and to be fair for every poster called a "whiner", "moaner" or "never happy" there are equally posters on here who talk about every signing like they are the missing link in making us an unbeatable team, a lot of which posters who probably were extremely excited about Kirk & Jaiyesimi, two players we literally cannot give away.
    To be fair, I remember thinking at the time that Kirk was good business. He was on fire with Crewe and looked destined for a move to another good side. 

Leicester fans couldn't wait to ship us Kermorgant when we got him. Yet he turned out to be one of our most popular players of the last 20 odd years. 

Let's just hope if it is Cosgrove that he clicks in our system (whatever that turned out to be)
  • Oggy Red said:
    I don't get why people think we need a back-up option, off the bench type.

We need anybody who is capable of doing a competant job right now.

If he proves to be the best option, he stays in the team. Otherwise, he's cover and impact player.

We needed Cosgrove or similar a month ago.

And it's not as Miles is ready to return anyway. He's not returned to training yet, and having missed pre-season will have to be eased back slowly, so I wouldn't expect him to be starting games until say the end of September.
  • follett said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

It is quite literally a stat that gave a team top of the division so I guess you're right

I have to respectfully disagree here, nobody is going to tell me a ratio of one in four is good enough.
    Ideally two strikers would achieve 30 goals in a season between them to give a team a chance of success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

Depends on his overall impact on the team, though.

If he makes the ball stick up front, links up well and his hold up play brings others into play, improves our set piece play both attacking and defensive, takes attention away from May and provides assists ...... well, right now, we're lacking all of that.

I'll give you that as an overall package, but the ratio is shocking.
  • fenaddick said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

that’s 1 in 4 mainly off the bench. a more useful stat is goals per minutes which is 1 per 140ish minutes. that would translate to 1 goal per about 1 and a half games which is far from woeful 

Well, we might see for ourselves shortly.
  • Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

But who said he doesn't score goals? That's just not accurate. He scored 8 goals last season playing mostly as an impact sub and was the champions' 4th highest goalscorer. Yann got 12 in 2011/12 playing more than twice the minutes Cosgrove did. Hayes wasn't prolific either, but they both helped supply BWP to get 22 goals and contributed to the team with more than goals. If people think we're going to be playing two strikers who score 20 goals each then they're going to be very disappointed, it's just not realistic.
    Think you’re missing my point. It was a reply to the post that said Cosgrove doesn’t need to score goals. He really does!
    I know nothing about Cosgrove so don’t really have an opinion, whether he’s any good or not tbf
  • AMB, Thomas possibly Hector called up? 
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

As the once great Brian Clough said, "if you are a striker your job is to score goals, if you are a defender your job is to keep them out".
  • I keep hearing Wigan might get called off but what international call ups do we expect? 
    Think it would be call ups for Wigan not us
  • edited August 2023
    Goals are a strikers stock in trade. Without a good return you’re always likely to get criticism. Harking back a few years now but a certain Carl Leaburn, remember him ? Carl often divided opinion and yet played 322 games for us scoring 53 goals at a ratio of around 1 in 6. Not the greatest return for a striker.  Alan Curbishley was no mug and realised that what Carl offered at number 9 was more than just a goal threat. Now I’m not saying Cosgrove has that about him or not, but personally I’d take a 25 year old Carl Leaburn like a shot.
  • Has Cosgrove signed or has anyone trustworthy suggested he might?

C Campbell came out of the blue so I predict Ladapo F to start for us tomorrow