Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• It's boring how negative people are. Sign a striker, no not that one...
    How dare we hope to sign a decent striker rather than any striker!  The nerve!!
    Cosgrove would be a decent signing imo 
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    FWIW last season May played up front with Nlundulu first half of the season, and Keena second half. They scored 10 goals between them. He got 20. They were both physically stronger players with a bit of height. 

I have no idea how well Cosgrove will do if he comes here, but I'm not so dismissive of him as some seem to be
    Height and strength is something we need in a striker, but also more mobility than a traditional target man like Stockley. How do those two compare when it comes to pace?
    Nlundulu I'd say was a bit pacier from the limited highlights I've seen of him. Keena was more plodding, and at 6 foot whilst bigger than May wasn't a full blown target man, more like a Josh Davison type I reckon
    We have to consider if them having some pace is what helped get the best out of May. He might not be as effective alongside a slower striker who can’t press alongside him, take over from running the channels or in behind when he drops deep etc.

He doesn't look like too much of a slouch here. He doesn't look like he's particularly slow and he's in front of the play to provide an option unlike Stockley who tended to be trying to catch up to it. He's alongside his strike partner to receive an assist, sets up one when his partner runs off him and he looks like he's quite good at gobbling up rebounds which a slower striker who can't keep up with the play wouldn't be able to do. I haven't seen enough of him to say but other than the close range header you wouldn't see Stockley scoring any of those goals these days
    Don't see why people are complaining, he looks really good.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    thenewbie said:
    sam3110 said:
    If Cosgrove replicates his scoring last season with us, and plays the remaining 42 games, he'll get 10 goals. 

If he's signed to be alongside May, who has scored 20 goals and 23 goals in the last 2 seasons, and he replicates that too, that's the 30-35 goals between them!

So you want them to do exactly what they did separately last season, together, but apparently that's not good enough?! 

Some right bollocks spouted on here recently, mostly by people who don't actually bother looking how players have done and just jumping on the "he's shite" bandwagon
    Another maybe 10 goals from Leaburn, if CBT can match last season that's another 8-10. Campbell II can hopefully add anywhere between 5-10 more. There's definitely enough goals in there IF we can stop dropping daft errors and giving away cheap goals.

If we end up needing 2-3 goals a game then yes we're in trouble. But tighten things up defensively and start actually holding leads and we should see a difference without needing multiple 20+ goal scorers.
    How you going to get them all in the same team?  I don't disagree that Campbell could get 10 goals in a season, if he played most of the games.  
    That's why I was more vague with the goals for him. If he's an impact sub type then probably he's going to be on the lower end, nearer to 5 than 10. But theoretically at least if he's being kept on the bench that's because those ahead of him are performing well so we should be okay anyway.... of course all hypothetical.
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    FWIW last season May played up front with Nlundulu first half of the season, and Keena second half. They scored 10 goals between them. He got 20. They were both physically stronger players with a bit of height. 

I have no idea how well Cosgrove will do if he comes here, but I'm not so dismissive of him as some seem to be
    Height and strength is something we need in a striker, but also more mobility than a traditional target man like Stockley. How do those two compare when it comes to pace?
    Nlundulu I'd say was a bit pacier from the limited highlights I've seen of him. Keena was more plodding, and at 6 foot whilst bigger than May wasn't a full blown target man, more like a Josh Davison type I reckon
    We have to consider if them having some pace is what helped get the best out of May. He might not be as effective alongside a slower striker who can’t press alongside him, take over from running the channels or in behind when he drops deep etc.

He doesn't look like too much of a slouch here. He doesn't look like he's particularly slow and he's in front of the play to provide an option unlike Stockley who tended to be trying to catch up to it. He's alongside his strike partner to receive an assist, sets up one when his partner runs off him and he looks like he's quite good at gobbling up rebounds which a slower striker who can't keep up with the play wouldn't be able to do. I haven't seen enough of him to say but other than the close range header you wouldn't see Stockley scoring any of those goals these days
    Because they believe he's 4th or 5th choice for us so must be shit
    How dare we hope to sign a decent striker rather than any striker!  The nerve!!
    Cosgrove would be a decent signing imo 
    I hope you're right if he signs.
  • edited August 2023
    Who’s view on Cosgrove do I rate higher, some random on Charlton Life, or Steven Schumacher
  • Rothko said:
    Who’s view on Cosgrove do I rate higher, some random on Charlton Life, or Steven Schumacher
    Depends who the random is 
    So it’s not important that “the striker” we sign can’t do what’s needed as long as we sign one ? Happy with Bonne or Stockley coming back ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    The fans of most of his previous clubs?

I hope he does well of he signs, but I'm worried.
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:

So did Izal McLeod in his 'Best of' YouTube vid.

So good, that Pardew went and bought him.

• edited August 2023
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:

Na he's definitely not as bad as some people seem to think. I don't think he's that similar to Stockley tbf other than being tall and blonde. He's way more of a natural finisher and is fair bit quicker. He won't win as many headers on either ends as Stockley, but he will still be a physical threat up top and help us from set pieces. Third goal in there was very smart

It could be a season defining signing if it comes off, one way or another..
  • He looks much more of a Magennis than a Stockley, which is not a bad thing 
  • I think I know who I'd rather have.
    Who? Rhodes hasn’t scored many in recent years.

• Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    Schumacher didn’t rate him enough to sign him for their Championship season though and he was a squad player for him in L1.
    Squad player in a team that got promoted - same thing we need him for then 
  • 162 updates. Have we signed anyone? 
  • Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    Schumacher didn’t rate him enough to sign him for their Championship season though and he was a squad player for him in L1.
    If he helps get us promoted then I doubt anyone will be bothered if he's not good enough for the Championship next season...
  • Sponsored links:

• TeeC said:
    Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    Squad player in a team that got promoted - same thing we need him for then 
    Not even a squad player... he played most games for them
  • sam3110 said:
    If Cosgrove replicates his scoring last season with us, and plays the remaining 42 games, he'll get 10 goals. 

If he's signed to be alongside May, who has scored 20 goals and 23 goals in the last 2 seasons, and he replicates that too, that's the 30-35 goals between them!

So you want them to do exactly what they did separately last season, together, but apparently that's not good enough?! 

Some right bollocks spouted on here recently, mostly by people who don't actually bother looking how players have done and just jumping on the "he's shite" bandwagon
    And what if he replicates his Wimbledon form from the year before? 1 in 17!!!!!

he will score 2.5 goals!

is that enough looking at how he has done? Or shall we go back another year when he also had a shit record?

Plymouth got promoted, Wimbledon relegated. Taking his record for both and the fact we are slap bag average, he is on course for 7 goals for us! Is that good for a player in his position?
  • thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:
    We don't need Cosgrove to score goals, we need him to win/hold up the ball so that May can score goals (and hopefully Leaburn too once fit). 

It wouldn't be super exciting as signings go but it makes sense to me.
    I don’t want a striker that doesn’t score goals thanks 🤣
    I mean he did score goals in this league last time out, 8 goals in 33 games is 1 in 4 ish which is pretty good. If having him up means May has another 20 goal season that's really not bad, if Leaburn can reach double figures then I'd say its probably not going to be goals scored that are the problem - it's the other end.
    1 in 4 is woeful.  Not a stat that will give you a play-off finish position.
  • Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:
    We don't need Cosgrove to score goals, we need him to win/hold up the ball so that May can score goals (and hopefully Leaburn too once fit). 

But who said he doesn't score goals? That's just not accurate. He scored 8 goals last season playing mostly as an impact sub and was the champions' 4th highest goalscorer. Yann got 12 in 2011/12 playing more than twice the minutes Cosgrove did. Hayes wasn't prolific either, but they both helped supply BWP to get 22 goals and contributed to the team with more than goals. If people think we're going to be playing two strikers who score 20 goals each then they're going to be very disappointed, it's just not realistic.
    Tick the box - If Cosgrove or whoever can be the foil for May to be prolific yet again 
    Tick the box - If Cosgrove or whoever  can himself score 10 + goals 
    Tick the box - If Cosgrove or whoever can be an impact player
    Tick the box - If Cosgrove or whoever has good hold up play and brings others into play
    Tick the box - If Cosgrove or whoever can make the ball stick up front, instead of it coming straight back causing us defensive problems

Summary: It's exactly the type of player we've been missing.

• NabySarr said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Today’s South London Press
    Spotted shirty5.  How the fuck will we get rid of that dog dirt?
    The same as January when we loaned the pair of them out along with Lavelle and McGrandles. 

Bar Lavelle who’s left, would not be surprised to see the 3 of them loaned out once again. 

No one with any sense is going to want any of them on a permanent deal with the wages they are on. 
    Both had poor loans though, so that’s why there is little interest. I suspect both will go at the end of the window as our demands on the loan club paying wages drop further. 

We will end up paying them quite a bit to play for someone else so we might even just decide to keep them in case of an injury crisis 
    Although, Naby ...... Dean Holden has said he wants a small tight squad.

I can't see that there's much desireto hold on to experienced squad players unhappy they can't get a game.

• thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

I mean he did score goals in this league last time out, 8 goals in 33 games is 1 in 4 ish which is pretty good. If having him up means May has another 20 goal season that's really not bad, if Leaburn can reach double figures then I'd say its probably not going to be goals scored that are the problem - it's the other end.
    Which is why you should never go by games played in isolation to assess a player's goalscoring record. Cosgrove played 33 times but some of his appearances were as short as a minute. That skews the numbers completely. He had 5 appearances that were of 5 minutes or under and 7 that were between 6 and 17 mins. He actually got 4 of his goals in those shortish appearances which displays his effect as an impact player. If you just take minutes played it's a goal every 1.8 games. That's also not the full picture as realistically I doubt he'd continue that ratio across a 46 game season if he played every minute but just seeing 8 in 33 and being done with it doesn't even tell you half the story. What he looks like based on the numbers is a player who can start and be useful, but is also very effective at attacking tiring defenders. That to me says that he's good enough to start in Leaburn's absence and would then be a very useful weapon when Leaburn is fit again to come on for him and cause some chaos. At the moment one of our biggest problems is you look at our bench and there's children and centre backs and not a lot else. A striker who scares defenders late on would be very welcome
  • thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

Depends on his overall impact on the team, though.

If he makes the ball stick up front, links up well and his hold up play brings others into play, improves our set piece play both attacking and defensive, takes attention away from May and provides assists ...... well, right now, we're lacking all of that.
  • thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:

that’s 1 in 4 mainly off the bench. a more useful stat is goals per minutes which is 1 per 140ish minutes. that would translate to 1 goal per about 1 and a half games which is far from woeful