Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited August 2023
    Peterborough owner on a podcast said that the 3 teams that are in for JCH are all league 1 teams allegedly..

Who do we think then? My guesses are Bristol Rovers due to the sell on they have, Derby County as they need a striker and I'm not sure on the third. I would have said Oxford but they seem to be pushing for Marriott 

It's quite incredible that some of our fans wouldn't be happy with him. Swansea, Birmingham, Blackburn, Plymouth and a fair few other championship sides fans want him. 

Surprised Dmac has said it's only league 1 clubs in for him. Can't find the clip of him saying it mind, only read it on social media 
  • Redhenry said:
    Are we all now willing to accept mediocrity?
    Is he the new striker?
  • edited August 2023
    follett said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:
    We don't need Cosgrove to score goals, we need him to win/hold up the ball so that May can score goals (and hopefully Leaburn too once fit). 

It wouldn't be super exciting as signings go but it makes sense to me.
    I don’t want a striker that doesn’t score goals thanks 🤣
    I mean he did score goals in this league last time out, 8 goals in 33 games is 1 in 4 ish which is pretty good. If having him up means May has another 20 goal season that's really not bad, if Leaburn can reach double figures then I'd say its probably not going to be goals scored that are the problem - it's the other end.
    1 in 4 is woeful.  Not a stat that will give you a play-off finish position.
    It is quite literally a stat that gave a team top of the division so I guess you're right

I have to respectfully disagree here, nobody is going to tell me a ratio of one in four is good enough.
    Ideally two strikers would achieve 30 goals in a season between them to give a team a chance of success.
    Well based on last seasons numbers.... May got 20 and Cosgrove got 8. Which is only just barely short of 30 between both.

So actually yes, between the two of them they are in fact scoring near enough what you want.

• Talal said:
    I expect Kirk and DJ will get loans at the end of the window when clubs are desperate to get any old crap in. 
    Like being back at school in a line waiting to be picked.
  • Holden has mentioned in his press conference that he's got a good relationship with Brentford and Thomas Frank. Wonder if there could be any potential loans from them? 
  • JCH doesn't tick many boxes for a Charlton signing, he's gonna have little resale value, he's expensive for any club in League 1, he's a bit of a dickhead and we'll have to change the way we play (again) to accommodate him
  • Don't get me wrong he'd improve us, but it would go against Holden's ethos so far
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    Looked on Twitter regarding JCH, yes I know it’s Twitter.  The consensus is that the three interested clubs could well be league one, few championship clubs thrown in too.  The following have been rumouredededed by various replies etc:

Bristol Rovers
    Barnsley
    Bolton
    Charlton
    Reading
    Derby
    Birmingham
    Blackburn
    Millwall
    Ipswich 
    Huddersfield
  • I think it's Barnsley (him or Nombe for them) Bristol Rovers (works out cheaper as the sell on clause can be used as a make weight) and Bolton (worried about losing Charles)
  • sam3110 said:
    JCH doesn't tick many boxes for a Charlton signing, he's gonna have little resale value, he's expensive for any club in League 1, he's a bit of a dickhead and we'll have to change the way we play (again) to accommodate him
    Bonne is a dickhead but we welcomed him with open arms!
  • I keep hearing Wigan might get called off but what international call ups do we expect? 
    AMB Camara Thomas not sure if Hector still plays ? 
  • Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    JCH doesn't tick many boxes for a Charlton signing, he's gonna have little resale value, he's expensive for any club in League 1, he's a bit of a dickhead and we'll have to change the way we play (again) to accommodate him
    Bonne is a dickhead but we welcomed him with open arms!
    I certainly didn't!

• redbuttle said:
    So we let stockley go and now we are trying to bring in a stockley wanna be with a less than impressive scoring record 
    Yes but Stockley can't even move any more.
    If DH wants him then DH will get him ? he knows how he wants to play 
    I knew how I wanted him to play a couple of seasons back. Made no difference. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If I were running a football club you'd have to pay me to take Kirk or DJ off your hands and I can't see why anyone else would think differently 
  • all seems very quiet on the RB who played for the u21s against Wigan

any update anyone?
  • all seems very quiet on the RB who played for the u21s against Wigan

any update anyone?
    There no rush to sign him he can sign outside the window .. expect he will join sooner rather then later perhaps they want to see another under 23 game 
  • shirty5 said:
    Today’s South London Press
    Thought DJ played quite well and tried hard in the U21 game v. Wigan. Clearly with scouts in mind. 
  • edited August 2023

24 hours is up. 

I'll give it until the end of the day... benefit of the doubt, paperwork could be done and announcement to come later. Certainly not looking promising though - no word from the man himself since this morning.
  • The club love a Friday announcement.  
  • JCH is a class above Noumbe. People saying he’s a dick head but seems to have got his act together.
  • follett said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redhenry said:
    thenewbie said:
    We don't need Cosgrove to score goals, we need him to win/hold up the ball so that May can score goals (and hopefully Leaburn too once fit). 

It wouldn't be super exciting as signings go but it makes sense to me.
    I don’t want a striker that doesn’t score goals thanks 🤣
    I mean he did score goals in this league last time out, 8 goals in 33 games is 1 in 4 ish which is pretty good. If having him up means May has another 20 goal season that's really not bad, if Leaburn can reach double figures then I'd say its probably not going to be goals scored that are the problem - it's the other end.
    1 in 4 is woeful.  Not a stat that will give you a play-off finish position.
    It is quite literally a stat that gave a team top of the division so I guess you're right
    Not sure you win the league carrying a striker who does nothing. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoring frequency last season:

Miles Leaburn: 152 mins per goal (1820 mins played)

Alfie May: 168 mins per goal (3354 mins played)

Sam Cosgrove: 166 mins per goal (1320 mins played)

Jayden Stockley: 596 mins per goal (2982 mins played)

Macauley Bonne: 375 mins per goal (752 mins played)

But yeah, Cosgrove *only* scored eight so he must be crap. People aren’t recognising that he was a back up option at his club, exactly what we need him to be, and his last club got promoted as champions.

Rather sign Jordan Rhodes who’s seven years older and very much on the decline.

Seriously don’t understand some of the toys being thrown out of the pram. Sign a striker, no that one’s not sexy enough.
    Is it toys being thrown out of the pram? I see it as a debate whether Cosgrove is definitely a great signing or only one that might be.

He’s 6 ft 3 / 6 ft 4 so I questioned how mobile he is, there aren’t many strikers with that height who don’t lack pace and play at our level.

There’s a risk that last season was a purple patch like Bonne had in the Championship for us.

On the other hand he’s 26 and the best years of his career could be coming up.

I think based on his record it’s fair to question these things. I’m not writing him off, but I’m also not as certain as others are that he’ll be exactly what we need.
    Did you see the video?

Didn't look too slouchy. 

I love the way the debate ebbs and flows on CL. A few pages back he was a player we should avoid, but the case for the defence did a good job, and I quite fancy him now. Top work.