Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited June 2023
    Did JCH make any impact in the Championship in his year there?

Checked, 12 in 41. Hardly going to see a stampede of championship clubs with millions to spend.

• Sambcafc said:
    masicat said:
     Clare-Harris is apparently now a target. Source has been pretty reliable to date. 
    Not a chance in hell that happens hahahaha. Hilarious. Dmac drives a hard deal and will be selling him for £3m+ I would expect. And that won’t be to a league one club. Championship for certain. 

I'm not so sure they'll be getting anything like £3m for him to be honest. He is going into the final year of his contract. He didn't really perform that well for them in the Championship and while I don't believe we will be in for him, I am not sure he will attract the interest that people may believe.

I'm also not fully up to date on it, but I am sure that 'Dmac' said last year would be his last year at Peterborough.

He certainly doesn't fit the 'No bellends' or whatever Dean Holden said. No doubt he is proven league 1 quality though.
  • Top priority is quality centre back and left back IMHO. The real problem is conceding goals rather than scoring, that said, we still need a striker.
    Not exactly. Last season we had Rak-Sakyi which we definitely don't have this time. Whether or not Leaburn will still be here is not clear yet either. We DEFINITELY need to look at a new source of goals and preferably before Leaburn goes anywhere.
  • Did JCH make any impact in the Championship in his year there?

Checked, 12 in 41. Hardly going to see a stampede of championship clubs with millions to spend.

12 goals in a small team (for that level) that got relegated is decent enough. I can't see the moneybags Championship clubs going for him, but seeing that he started at Coventry I could see them buying him as a replacement for Gyökeres if he leaves.
  • Top priority is quality centre back and left back IMHO. The real problem is conceding goals rather than scoring, that said, we still need a striker.
    Need 2 strikers. I've given up with Aneke
  • Did JCH make any impact in the Championship in his year there?

Compare that with our top scorers the last time we were in that league. From memory that is very comparable with Taylor and Bonne. Both got "big" moves to championship clubs. 

I reckon half of the teams in the championship are monitoring him and have had him watched. I'm not saying that all 12 would make an offer but I reckon he is on the radar of lots of championship clubs.
    I agree to an extent but remember we’ve lost Rak-Sakyi, those goals and threat have to be replaced.  
    Depends on what Holden wants to do with the formation. If we return to his favoured 3-5-2 then we probably do need that ‘headline’ striker signing. 

If continuing with 4-3-3 then we have Leaburn so focus should be on replacing Rak-Sakyi’s goals from out wide and then still needing but less important, finding strikers that can support  better than Stockley/Bonne when Leaburn is unavailable. 

Defence is a priority whatever formation though as we pretty much need a whole new back 4 (or 5)
  • NabySarr said:
    Top priority is quality centre back and left back IMHO. The real problem is conceding goals rather than scoring, that said, we still need a striker.
    I agree to an extent but remember we’ve lost Rak-Sakyi, those goals and threat have to be replaced.  
    Depends on what Holden wants to do with the formation. If we return to his favoured 3-5-2 then we probably do need that ‘headline’ striker signing. 

If continuing with 4-3-3 then we have Leaburn so focus should be on replacing Rak-Sakyi’s goals from out wide and then still needing but less important, finding strikers that can support  better than Stockley/Bonne when Leaburn is unavailable. 

Defence is a priority whatever formation though as we pretty much need a whole new back 4 (or 5)
    Has this actually come form anywhere of substance?  He has been here for 26 out of 85 games he has managed, does he actually favour 352 or is that what his best use of resources was previously? 
  • NabySarr said:
    Top priority is quality centre back and left back IMHO. The real problem is conceding goals rather than scoring, that said, we still need a striker.

About how I see it, if he’s going with 352 the wing backs will become a priority.
  • edited June 2023
    Finally I feel this thread can come alive probably for the first time in three years.

What do we need ?Who is out there?

I feel the best JRS replacement appears to be another young Palace player in Scott Banks. I felt he did well for Bradford in the playoffs. I like the idea that we could get him on a perm. Are there any other left footed wingers out there?

Left Back is another problem. Tayo Edun might be realistic now as he would probably command a modest fee. If we can pay transfers it opens the market up considerably.

I mentioned Lewis Bate earlier in the thread. Again I was impressed when he played for Oxford last season
  • Sponsored links:

• Very hypothetical, but would people be happy to sell Leaburn to say Chelsea if we bought in JCH & some additional £££?  It's obviously Leaburn won't be here for very long so would cashing in and bolstering the squad be a good idea?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:

Has this actually come from anywhere of substance?  He has been here for 26 out of 85 games he has managed, does he actually favour 352 or is that what his best use of resources was previously? 
    When managing Bristol City he played it and when he first arrived here he played it. So I think it’s fair to say he does favour it. And then switching to the 4-3-3 was possibly a best use of resources once he realised how good Rak-Sakyi was. He might continue with it, as CBT and Campbell are good options and we did quite well with the 4-3-3

Our squad really didn’t suit 3-5-2 last season but given the chance to build his own he might return to it 
  • edited June 2023
    If he wants to play 3-5-2 we are defo gonna need a couple of quality wing backs
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:

Has this actually come form anywhere of substance?  He has been here for 26 out of 85 games he has managed, does he actually favour 352 or is that what his best use of resources was previously? 
    Hard to say given how infrequently Holden had access to 2 strikers last season surely? Bonne wrote himself out, Aneke was, well, Aneke so he only really had one outright striker and he was a teenager.

Whether or not its first choice of formation remains to be seen but I think we can only benefit from actual depth up front.
  • Just missed the opportunity to ask Jude Bellingham if he wants to join us as he walked past my window on dover street. Then again I saved myself the embarrassment of him laughing in my face.
  • We should sign that midfielder from Peterborough who was tearing the league up a few years back. Marcus Maddison - not sure what happened to him after he left Peterborough, I have a suspicious mental block on that time period and his name. Can't think why
  • We should sign that midfielder from Peterborough who was tearing the league up a few years back. Marcus Maddison - not sure what happened to him after he left Peterborough, I have a suspicious mental block on that time period and his name. Can't think why
    Think he signed for some tattoo studio
  • Maybe pie in the sky but if we are going to show the level of ambition to go for the likes of Clark-Harris - why not try and get JRS back again next season instead of looking around for someone to replace him? He's still very young, local, knows the manager well, has benefited and progressed here all season and clearly well liked by the fans so in a good environment - he would be certain of game time here - of course there will be championship interest, but i'd see it in a similar way to how Miles probably needs another year here with us (whether that's probably as a loan back after a sale to a Prem club) it's got to be worth a try? 

• Maybe pie in the sky but if we are going to show the level of ambition to go for the likes of Clark-Harris - why not try and get JRS back again next season instead of looking around for someone to replace him? He's still very young, local, knows the manager well, has benefited and progressed here all season and clearly well liked by the fans so in a good environment - he would be certain of game time here - of course there will be championship interest, but i'd see it in a similar way to how Miles probably needs another year here with us (whether that's probably as a loan back after a sale to a Prem club) it's got to be worth a try? 

I’m sure that we’ve asked the question even if we knew what the answer would be
  • Sponsored links:

• https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-season-ticket-sales-hit-same-levels-as-this-stage-of-summer-in-2022/

Cawley says we've tabled a bid for Alfie May though mentions Gloucestershire Live broke the news. Presumably he's verified it his end.
  • Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-season-ticket-sales-hit-same-levels-as-this-stage-of-summer-in-2022/

Cawley says we've tabled a bid for Alfie May though mentions Gloucestershire Live broke the news. Presumably he's verified it his end.
    That’s positive news even if we’re beaten to his signature. We’ve not been shopping in that supermarket for quite a while.
    We're minted now. 
  • Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-season-ticket-sales-hit-same-levels-as-this-stage-of-summer-in-2022/

Why mention the transfer window doesn’t officially open till June 14th blah, blah, blah as we all know it means bugger all.
  • Scoham said:

Why mention the transfer window doesn’t officially open till June 14th blah, blah, blah as we all know it means bugger all.
    I don't get it either. Holden said it recently and Storrie did it on his interview with BBC this evening. Storrie also talked about contracts expiring at the end of June.
  • I think this a very tricky position for the new owners.

People will now be actively pissed off if we don't sign May, Dack, Banks, Stockton, Hector, Thomas etc etc even if we end up with a really good squad.  

I think it would be the same if we sold Leaburn.

I think some how, we have managed to work ourselves into a corner, in that in the short term any new owner will be "bad".
  • Heather did an excellent interview with Sky News, but I disagree with her about selling Leaburn.

Of course I want him to stay, but if we were offered a silly sum of money, it would be crazy to turn it down. £5m invested in fees and wages could transform the side. 
  • So we want to keep our transfer targets quiet, but have told our local journo to leak a bid for a forward and plug some season ticket sales!?

• edited June 2023
    mendonca said:
    So we want to keep our transfer targets quiet, but have told our local journo to leak a bid for a forward and plug some season ticket sales!?

Not exactly leaked by the local journo if the news of a bid broke at the Cheltenham end. The SLP article even cites the Glos Live journo as well.