Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• cabbles said:
    The old Aneke question.  Of course, we have to keep him, unless the owners are flush with cash and are happy to pay him up, but I highly doubt that.  

The issue I have with it is that people still have the opinion that he’s this beast who terrorizes defences based on the 20/21 season.  He was affective coming off the bench, but with each year that has past, and each additional injury, he’s become less effective.  

I am not saying he’s isn’t worth keeping given the contractual situation and the fact we know he’s knackered, but I don’t believe he’s capable of what he once was, even coming off the bench 
    I know it won't happen but ideally I'd only keep Aneke on a pay as you play contract. Good to have around but them injuries are too much! 
  • Aden Flint says how he would love to join the Massives, although I am not sure he is confident that they will want him.

Released Stoke City defender keen to seal free transfer to Championship rivals (msn.com)
  • cabbles said:
    The old Aneke question.  Of course, we have to keep him, unless the owners are flush with cash and are happy to pay him up, but I highly doubt that.  

The issue I have with it is that people still have the opinion that he’s this beast who terrorizes defences based on the 20/21 season.  He was affective coming off the bench, but with each year that has past, and each additional injury, he’s become less effective.  

I am not saying he’s isn’t worth keeping given the contractual situation and the fact we know he’s knackered, but I don’t believe he’s capable of what he once was, even coming off the bench 
    I know it won't happen but ideally I'd only keep Aneke on a pay as you play contract. Good to have around but them injuries are too much! 
    How exactly would you persuade Chuks to ditch his current contract for a pay as you play one ?
    Can anyone name the last player we signed on a pay as you play contract?
  • Chunes said:
    cabbles said:

How exactly would you persuade Chuks to ditch his current contract for a pay as you play one ?
    😂😂 ffs I would sponsor Chucks on a pay as you play deal ! You can be sure that you are not going to be paying him much
  • Chunes said:
    cabbles said:

Bally Smart?
  • Chunes said:
    cabbles said:

Bally Smart?
    That's not even a name I remember, but it seems he was a triallist
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    cabbles said:

Bally Smart?
    That's not even a name I remember, but it seems he was a triallist
    Bally Smart - Wikipedia - Signed on Non-Contract terms so he could face Shrewsbury when we lost 4-3 in the League Cup
  • edited June 2023
    Well done! Bally Smart, thirteen years ago. I can't find any others. 

It's curious that pay-as-you-play deals are mentioned so often on football forums because in reality they're incredibly rare.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dunno why, but he's one of those odd names I've never forgotten
  • cabbles said:

See in bold. Very hypothetical and not to be taken seriously. 
  • Wasn’t Leon Best on a pay as you play? 
  • RedRobin said:
    Wasn’t Leon Best on a pay as you play? 
    Just a two month contract according to Wiki
  • fenaddick said:
    If Holden does go back to 3-5-2 I’d be interested to see if Aneke was more durable given he’d have less running to do 
    I’m he won’t fancy it. He is enjoys the amount of running he has done in the last 4 months. 
  • Dunno why, but he's one of those odd names I've never forgotten
    What about Wade Small? He was the 2009 version of Bally Smart. Both wingers, both signed on a non-contract basis, both played their only game for us in a League Cup 1st round defeat.
  • Still think we need a replacement for Inniss. Similar type, but with better discipline, obvs. 
    I’d have kept him in the squad I think. 
  • Chunes said:
    Well done! Bally Smart, thirteen years ago. I can't find any others. 

It's curious that pay-as-you-play deals are mentioned so often on football forums because in reality they're incredibly rare.
    It's the equivalent of taking on a sales employee on a commission only basis, nobody would agree to it.
  • edited June 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2023
    cabbles said:

cheat code chuks is going to come good for us next year. I don't know when, but I just have this feeling that one goal next year will put him into Charlton folklore... mark my words.

• cabbles said:

Interesting thought experiment… I don’t think pay as play would cut it but what about a play as you score contract?

50k per goal he scores? If he wants to score 20 goals next season both parties would benefit… he’d only need 5-6 for the season to exceed what he’s on currently.
  • Whoever was responsible for giving Aneke a long term contract on high wages should never be allowed anywhere near our transfer dealings ever again. 

• Chuks is so frustrating. Without doubt one of the best forwards in L1 but can’t guarantee more than a dozen games a season. Guess he wouldn’t be at Charlton if you could.
  • Whoever was responsible for giving Aneke a long term contract on high wages should never be allowed anywhere near our transfer dealings ever again. 

Chuks Aneke should've been offered an 18 month contract maximum.
    I understood why we spent some money on him as he was involved in 36 out of 46 in his last season before his move to Birmingham but knowing his complex medical history and his phobia with starting matches; Chuks started only about 2 of those 36 matches when he was in the 18 man squad.
    He had to be reassured that he could start games but he was the super sub and that's how he was used.

Chuks Aneke was the sub who could score a goal every 100 minutes, unfortunately I just can't see how that player from a few seasons back can  be seen in 23/24 ?
  • edited June 2023
    He has a contract that nobody will want to take off our hands at this stage. It would seem the only way forwards is to get to the bottom of his issues and try to fix them which is what I assume the club is doing. The chances of success may be low, I don't know, but what else can be done and if we do get to the bottom of things, he becomes a massive asset. 

The extra subs in the game make a player like him who you can bring on for a half or 30 minutes of real use, providing he can do a job in that time. So even if we don't get a 90 minute player, an effective one half player isn't necessarily a disaster. Yes, nobody would buy such a player, but we have already bought him. It seems logical to make the best out of the situation wheres I am not sure paying him off is.
  • cabbles said:

He was never really fit last season for long enough to show what he can do. Even then he still had good impact from the bench. Every time he came on he made us a much better team, Ipswich at home was the standout, he didn’t score but it was still one of his best super sub games for us 
  • Important season ahead for Chuks. You'd like to think that with a good pre season behind him he'd be fit and ready to go in August. 

But with him turning 30 next month, i fear that if he breaks down again and has another injury ravaged season it might well be his last as a professional.
    I think it’s the responsibility of all football clubs to stand by and look after players when injured but there surely must come a point when the best course of action is for both parties to face reality and take the insurance money. We know full well Chuks won’t play a meaningful part in next season. I’d love to be proved wrong but can’t see it.
  • We knew full well that Inniss wouldn't play the number of games that he did last season too.