Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited June 2023
    We knew full well that Inniss wouldn't play the number of games that he did last season too.

The difference between Ryan Inniss and Chuks Aneke are that Ryan mainly had one issue (forgetting the red mist !) where Chuks has many medical issues too overcome.

IF it was Charlton's own medical staff that sorted out the problems of the giant CB so he could play a full season for I believe the first time in his career then 👏 to the medical staff we have now.

It is ironic that we let Inniss go now but that is down to erratic performances or mistakes I assume. If Hector doesn't sign then we will need one experienced leader at the back and probably 6ft 4ish.

This is going to take some skill similar to when Phil Chappel and Chris Powell were chief scout and manager to get FIT and hungry players to blend into a top 6 squad.
    A miracle like finishing champions may only happen once so top 6 is better than middle for diddle of the last two seasons.

A couple of great loan signings and the persona non Grata forward with many other steady performers got us up under Bowyer and Jackson. Aribo replacing the out of form Fosu was a big plus.

We were 15 points off the play offs last season and a big upturn in mentality, fitness and skill will be needed to be contenders.
  • NabySarr said:
    cabbles said:
    The old Aneke question.  Of course, we have to keep him, unless the owners are flush with cash and are happy to pay him up, but I highly doubt that.  

The issue I have with it is that people still have the opinion that he’s this beast who terrorizes defences based on the 20/21 season.  He was affective coming off the bench, but with each year that has past, and each additional injury, he’s become less effective.  

I am not saying he’s isn’t worth keeping given the contractual situation and the fact we know he’s knackered, but I don’t believe he’s capable of what he once was, even coming off the bench 
    He was never really fit last season for long enough to show what he can do. Even then he still had good impact from the bench. Every time he came on he made us a much better team, Ipswich at home was the standout, he didn’t score but it was still one of his best super sub games for us 
    That’s also part of my point.  With each injury his fitness wanes

He had some decent cameos last season, but he also had some stinkers. I recall the Stockport FA Cup game.  Watching him run was painful.  

He should be kept on, but that’s purely because of his contractual situation for me, rather than what he brings to the team now.  We’d be stupid not to look for 2 more forwards that we would play ahead of him, as well as Leaburn 
  • So no rumours then
  • So no rumours then
    Rumour is we will be missing out on signing both Bellingham AND McAllister. 

No ambition these new guys...
  • Sponsored links:

• On the subject of Chuks......

I was all for him to be our "super sub" or "impact player" and resigned myself that he was better coming off the bench than starting a match. 

But all that goodwill fell away on the night we beat Brighton, when he came on and lasted less than 5 mins. I watched him at half time when the subs did their "warm up" routine & he was putting in no effort. Hardly any stretching & remarked to my son that I hope he does more before he actually enters the field of play.

Sadly not. After that night I just dont know what the answer is. The 2nd part of the season was a write off as far as Chuks as a player was concerned & really feel he needs to leave the club or retire. 
  • Quite a few decent and realistic players out of contact throughout the Championship and League 1.

Joe Ward - Peterborough
    Archie Collins - Exeter
    Sam Smith - Camebridge
    Josh Key - Exeter
    Sean Roughan - Lincoln
    Harvey Knibbs - Cambridge
    Curtis Nelson - Blackpool
    Sean Morrison - Rotherham
    Callum Elder - Hull
    Harlee Dean - Birmigham
    Gavin Whyte - Cardiff
    Connor Wickham - Cardiff
    Luke Berry - Luton
    Ryan Leonard - Millwall
    Carlos Mendes - Luton
    Tyler Walker - Coventry

Would love Gavin Whyte, any left backs?
  • cabbles said:
    NabySarr said:
    cabbles said:
    The old Aneke question.  Of course, we have to keep him, unless the owners are flush with cash and are happy to pay him up, but I highly doubt that.  

The issue I have with it is that people still have the opinion that he’s this beast who terrorizes defences based on the 20/21 season.  He was affective coming off the bench, but with each year that has past, and each additional injury, he’s become less effective.  

I am not saying he’s isn’t worth keeping given the contractual situation and the fact we know he’s knackered, but I don’t believe he’s capable of what he once was, even coming off the bench 
    He was never really fit last season for long enough to show what he can do. Even then he still had good impact from the bench. Every time he came on he made us a much better team, Ipswich at home was the standout, he didn’t score but it was still one of his best super sub games for us 
    That’s also part of my point.  With each injury his fitness wanes

He had some decent cameos last season, but he also had some stinkers. I recall the Stockport FA Cup game.  Watching him run was painful.  

He should be kept on, but that’s purely because of his contractual situation for me, rather than what he brings to the team now.  We’d be stupid not to look for 2 more forwards that we would play ahead of him, as well as Leaburn 
    CAFC ain't got a choice unless and until Chuks agrees to bale out - chances of that have to be slim to none - about the same as the chance he'll make another meaningful on pitch contribution in Charlton red.
    Amen to that
  • Important season ahead for Chuks. You'd like to think that with a good pre season behind him he'd be fit and ready to go in August. 

But with him turning 30 next month, i fear that if he breaks down again and has another injury ravaged season it might well be his last as a professional.
    He's had decent preseasons in recent years and broken down as soon as the season for real hoved into view.
    Past performance in Chuks's case is the only reasonable portent of future returns.
  • Ferryman said:
    Quite a few decent and realistic players out of contact throughout the Championship and League 1.

Joe Ward - Peterborough
    Archie Collins - Exeter
    Sam Smith - Camebridge
    Josh Key - Exeter
    Sean Roughan - Lincoln
    Callum Elder - Hull
    Harlee Dean - Birmigham
    Gavin Whyte - Cardiff
    Connor Wickham - Cardiff
    Luke Berry - Luton
    Ryan Leonard - Millwall
    Carlos Mendes - Luton
    Tyler Walker - Coventry

The only one I can see on there is Elder 
  • Off that list - Callum Elder is a left back, played 29 times for Hull last season 
  • Brownie12 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Quite a few decent and realistic players out of contact throughout the Championship and League 1.

Joe Ward - Peterborough
    Archie Collins - Exeter
    Sam Smith - Camebridge
    Josh Key - Exeter
    Sean Roughan - Lincoln
    Callum Elder - Hull
    Harlee Dean - Birmigham
    Gavin Whyte - Cardiff
    Connor Wickham - Cardiff
    Luke Berry - Luton
    Ryan Leonard - Millwall
    Carlos Mendes - Luton
    Tyler Walker - Coventry

The only one I can see on there is Elder 
    Ageist
  • Left back is clearly an area that we need at least one player this window.

Preferably if we don't sign a left footed centre back one of them could fill in there and another that could play left wing back.

In terms of frees other than Elder.

I always liked Cameron Borthwick Jackson when he was at Scunthorpe on loan from Manchester United , but I accept that he has had a disappointing career since then.

In terms of those who would need a fee.

Tayo Edun ( Blackburn) nearly joined us prior to Penney signing on.
    Would Ipswich sell Greg Leigh? He impressed when at Morecambe the previous season.
    Tolaji Bola at Rotherham seemed to have an injury hit loan spell at Bradford.
    Nathanael Ogbeta who had a successful loan spell at Posh last season. 

I did wonder whether Da Silva joining Coventry might make Jake Bidwell available
  • Sponsored links:

• ValleyBen said:
    We have a duty of care to Aneke too. He is our player. It must be difficult for him and the club are right to try and find a way to make it work.
    Duty of care?

How much concern did Aneke have for us when he was only too happy to walk out on us and sign for Birmingham?
    You mean when he fulfilled his contract and then chose to take a job elsewhere?

I will never understand fans who get angry at the actual player for being injured, I am sure Aneke is desperate to be playing every week showing himself back to his best, as I have never seen a lack of commitment from him on the sadly far too few appearances he has been able to play since returning to us.
    I think it’s fair to say that he is pretty popular with our fan base…….he has put in some sterling performances for us and we are well aware he is/has been an excellent player.
    I’m not very happy when I read disparaging comments and piss taking stuff regarding his injuries and current position he and the club find themselves in.
  • A player I've always liked is Jack Colback, he is a midfielder who also plays LB. He's played in Prem, for Sunderland, Newcastle and Forest, he has just been released from Forest, aged 33, he would be a very good squad player in my opinion.

I was all for him to be our "super sub" or "impact player" and resigned myself that he was better coming off the bench than starting a match. 

But all that goodwill fell away on the night we beat Brighton, when he came on and lasted less than 5 mins. I watched him at half time when the subs did their "warm up" routine & he was putting in no effort. Hardly any stretching & remarked to my son that I hope he does more before he actually enters the field of play.

Sadly not. After that night I just dont know what the answer is. The 2nd part of the season was a write off as far as Chuks as a player was concerned & really feel he needs to leave the club or retire. 
    Yep this.

Not the only time he did it either - seem to remember pointing it out half time v Bristol rovers too (although he didn't come off injured in that but he didn't have much impact either) 

Honestly it just came across as lazy watching him going through the motions - I was fuming about it at the time, although you have to question the coaching staff there as well.

Anyway this ain't the Chuks thread so I'll stop derailing now!
  • Aneke has done nothing wrong. Whoever sanctioned resigning him on that contract needs shagging with a pineapple.
    We are in the process of growing one at the moment.
    Should just be big enough when his contract is up.remind me where I should send it to😂

I don't believe that he wasn't trying, lived badly etc. If he wasn't trying why was he perhaps the most effective sub we have had for 5/10 years? he bullied defences and had great touch. If his warm up was restricted its probably because he knows his body might snap any minute. He was right in front of my seat when the last injury happened, he flew through the air in the most weird way, and then was screaming in agony and frustration. People should have some sympathy. I don't even think it was a bad signing. He's a complete game changer worth 20 points a season at this level when he gets going, it was a gamble with his fitness, but one that could have paid off. Its gutting for Charlton and him that it hasn't, but that is life, sometimes things are rubbish and its not really anyone's fault. Most football fans, in fact most people, have forgotten that, or chose to pretend they have. 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    See Bradley Deck been released. I know he has injury issues, but he would be a great signing. 
    Isn’t that exactly why we shouldn’t sign him?
    Harry Arter v2.0
  • Billy Sharpe anyone?
  • edited June 2023
    Chuks Aneke:
    18 appearances in all comps, 3 goals 1 assist
    League - Starts 1, subbed on 12 times, goals scored 1 assists 1
    FA Cup - Starts 2, subbed on 1 times, goals scored 1 assists 0
    EFL Cup - subbed on 2 times, goals scored 1 assists 0
    Result gained from Draw/losing position once subbed on - league 2 (Ipswich, Burton Albion) EFL Cup 1 (Stevenage)
    #cheatcode
    #impactsub

• Might be some more movement on player signings next week with some players back to training today 
    Might be some more movement on player signings next week with some players back to training today 
    Do you know something or is this a guess?