Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Some Gills fans think they’ll announce Alfie May tomorrow. Would hope it’s rubbish although they have ambitious owners. 
  • Hope not 
  • It's the wrong thread, I know, but a Year 7 girl whom I teach has just been accepted by Charlton after a recent trial. She knows I support Charlton and tells me every lesson about her matches for her local team and shows me some of her goals which her parents film (she is the top goalscorer in her league). 

She told me that the night she heard she had been accepted, she was so excited that she couldn't sleep and her mum told me that she was impressed by the setup at Charlton as it appeared to be very supportive and had a family-feel about it.

I thought I would share it here as it's heart-warming to see a girl so excited to be making the first step in her ambition to be a professional player and this thread could do with it.

Thats Leaburn gone then.
  • edited June 2023
    mart77 said:
    Some Gills fans think they’ll announce Alfie May tomorrow. Would hope it’s rubbish although they have ambitious owners. 

As far as I can tell, this is what sparked it
  • Sage said:
    Looking forward to when we do announce a few signings, then the summer really is underway and preparations, alongside the release of fixtures, will feel more real and anticipation starts to rise.

Think we probably need a right back, 2 left backs, 3 centre backs, 2 or 3 midfielders, 2 wingers, and 1 or 2 strikers. Then let go of all the loan players from last year (other than maybe having another look at McGrandles). There's a hell of a lot of work to be done.
    A lot will depend on the formation Holden is going to play. If he's going to play 352 then we need some good quality wing backs. We won't sign a RB, 2 LBs and 2 wingers.
  • Plaaayer said:
    Sage said:
    Said for a while about the issue around stretching in football and it is a huge issues as a whole.

I know for an absolute fact, from someone in a position of expertise, that the players in general, and the club as a whole, have been told how a number  of our injuries can be prevented or risks reduced if they stretch and stretch correctly.

We know how many hamstring injuries we have had over the last 18-24 months, and although it is a common injury in football, it can be prevented if you actually strengthen and stretch them correctly. It does not happen across the board enough or well enough.

Does it happen at Charlton? Only the players and those at the club can truly answer that, and with honesty too.

Regarding Chuks, I hope he is feeling much better now and can get through a pre-season because if he can, he will be a huge asset, as we know his ability. If he breaks down and can't get through it, his career, at least at Charlton, will probably be in doubt.

I’ve noticed on a number of occasions that Chuks doesn’t seem to do any sort of proper warm up as a sub compared to everyone else.
    Yep seen that too
  • Looks like secondary school Gillingham Twitter have convinced themselves May is signing and nothing more.  I’ll be stunned if it’s true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Assuming that the new owners pass the EFL tests and assuming they purchase the club to attain promotion to the Championship before selling the club at a profit a negotiating ploy to bring in experienced older players, like May, could be to offer longer contracts at a lower wage than some of our rivals. ( I know a lot of assumptions)
  • I keep hearing that Thomas is bankrolling the summer transfers but I just don't believe it. There's no way he's doing that & then walking away. 

Even if it's not official or strictly above board, I can't imagine anyone other than the prospective new owners bankrolling our summer activity.  It must be them
    Perhaps it was included in the deal.
    Actions will prove that 
  • I would like to think that if May ends up at Gillingham, it will be because we are looking at better targets. However, I am not holding my breath.
    Reminds me of the signing of Mark Kinsella who was on his way to sign for Gillingham, before Curbs came calling, and he did an u turn and ended up at Sparrows Lane. One of our best signings in recent times.
  • I would like to think that if May ends up at Gillingham, it will be because we are looking at better targets. However, I am not holding my breath.
    Reminds me of the signing of Mark Kinsella who was on his way to sign for Gillingham, before Curbs came calling, and he did an u turn and ended up at Sparrows Lane. One of our best signings in recent times.
    What!! THE best
  • shirty5 said:
    I keep hearing that Thomas is bankrolling the summer transfers but I just don't believe it. There's no way he's doing that & then walking away. 

Even if it's not official or strictly above board, I can't imagine anyone other than the prospective new owners bankrolling our summer activity.  It must be them
    Perhaps it was included in the deal.
    Actions will prove that 
    In this case the next four weeks will be crucial.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd assume budget was agreed between TS and the new owners and it will just be settled when the deal completes in terms of who pays it. 
    It was sensible if both parties agreed the budget. TS and Storrie will be targeting players at the level that the new regime would be targeting, reflected in the purchase price agreed for the club.
  • I keep hearing that Thomas is bankrolling the summer transfers but I just don't believe it. There's no way he's doing that & then walking away. 

If it’s not official or strictly above board ,
    how do I say it, we are fcuked.
    We couldn’t agree to pay an extra 25,000 pounds . In the end we did and what a player he turned out to be .
  • Sponsored links:

We couldn’t agree to pay an extra 25,000 pounds . In the end we did and what a player he turned out to be .
    That transfer affair was a nonsense, considering we had just received a massive transfer fee for Lee Bowyer and only initially replaced him with Brendan O'Connell.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I'd assume budget was agreed between TS and the new owners and it will just be settled when the deal completes in terms of who pays it. 
    A gentleman who bumped into Mr Methven a couple days ago at Newbury said 

He said we can only sign out of contract players until EFL approval given, but its going well. Looking for six experienced first team players. Dean knows his budget.
  • Looks like secondary school Gillingham Twitter have convinced themselves May is signing and nothing more.  I’ll be stunned if it’s true.
    If derby are sniffing around, it would be a coup if we get him. I'm not sure why he would go and live in a caravan and play L2 football if too L1 clubs are interested.

now that I've dismissed gillingham as a serious option, expect him to sign for them
  • If we lose out on May to Gillingham then that's very concerning in terms of ambition with the new owners. 
  • shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

He said we can only sign out of contract players until EFL approval given, but its going well. Looking for six experienced first team players. Dean knows his budget.
    If we can only sign out of contract players then how have we put an offer in for May?
    No idea. Ask Charlie Methven. 
  • shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

If we can only sign out of contract players then how have we put an offer in for May?
    I can't see that being true. Although an offer has been accepted, TS is till the owner and if he wants to put in a cash offer for a player, how can the EFL stop that?
  • shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

I can't see that being true. Although an offer has been accepted, TS is till the owner and if he wants to put in a cash offer for a player, how can the EFL stop that?
    Cheltenham have received a bid according to the local journalist in Gloucestershire. Not sure if they have accepted it though 
  • shirty5 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Could we not bid for a player, have it accepted, agree a contract with the player, then the player actually sign it the day our new owners are officially announced?  Surely this isn’t out of the realms of possibility, just so long as the OADT is just a formality?