Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I would like to think that if May ends up at Gillingham, it will be because we are looking at better targets. However, I am not holding my breath.
    Reminds me of the signing of Mark Kinsella who was on his way to sign for Gillingham, before Curbs came calling, and he did an u turn and ended up at Sparrows Lane. One of our best signings in recent times.
    Recent times ? It was 27 years ago. One for the "things that make you feel old" thread.
    I would like to think that if May ends up at Gillingham, it will be because we are looking at better targets. However, I am not holding my breath.
    Reminds me of the signing of Mark Kinsella who was on his way to sign for Gillingham, before Curbs came calling, and he did an u turn and ended up at Sparrows Lane. One of our best signings in recent times.
    Recent times ? It was 27 years ago. One for the "things that make you feel old" thread.
    As is your name 9 goals 

12-09-89.

pity it wasn’t 10goals went passed Perry

34 years ago 
  • Richard J said:
    Would be surprised if we go for another keeper.

I see AMB as the number one and think it would be likely Wollacott moves on. I would be surprised if the Orient keeper moves as he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place with us and it would involve a transfer fee or could it be a swap with Jo Jo moving to Brisbane Road?

I was thinking that we may go for a veteran  or a PL loanee as back up.
    I might be being harsh on AMB but if we did bring in another keeper then honestly I'd see that as a positive sign. AMB for me is in that category of "good enough" - he'll certainly do a job and we don't NEED a new keeper but there's probably better out there and if the Consortium are willing to spend to upgrade from "decent" to "great" then it's a good sign of intent.

I don't know that Vigoroux IS that much better but I am actually quite encouraged by the idea of looking at a new keeper in principle.
  • I would like to think that if May ends up at Gillingham, it will be because we are looking at better targets. However, I am not holding my breath.
    I would like to think that if May ends up at Gillingham, it will be because we are looking at better targets. However, I am not holding my breath.
    As is your name 9 goals 

12-09-89.

34 years ago 
    Ha, indeed so. I'm looking forward to the day i can update my username to "10 goals went past [insert hapless Palace stopper's name.]
  • Just a theory… but the new owners can’t be seen to put funds in as they aren’t ratified by the EFL yet. But that is contradictory to the reported bid for Alfie May. Maybe there is money in the coffers from the respective sales of Stockley and O’Connell to fund that.. which wouldn’t require any cash injection from the Freidman group. And would just been see in the EFLs eyes as Charlton signing a player.. would make sense. But does then limit us to free agents until august after that 
  • edited June 2023
    There must be some kind of agreement between TS and the group around budget. Maybe TS pays for the transfers and then they give him money for them after the approval or something like that.
  • Dillon Phillips has departed Cardiff City after his contract has expired 
  • shirty5 said:
    Dillon Phillips has departed Cardiff City after his contract has expired 
    That’s an interesting one. Won’t be coming to us though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2023
    As is your name 9 goals 

12-09-89.

34 years ago 
    Ha, indeed so. I'm looking forward to the day i can update my username to "10 goals went past [insert hapless Palace stopper's name.]
    In 1961 England beat Scotland 9-3 at Wembley.
    The Scottish keeper was Celtic’s Frank Haffey.
    For quite a while after if you asked someone what the time was you often got the reply….”Nine past Haffey.”
    And I have it on good authority, was nicknamed half time Haffey by of some the Scottish fans as it was only 3-0 at the interval 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    The old Aneke question.  Of course, we have to keep him, unless the owners are flush with cash and are happy to pay him up, but I highly doubt that.  

The issue I have with it is that people still have the opinion that he’s this beast who terrorizes defences based on the 20/21 season.  He was affective coming off the bench, but with each year that has past, and each additional injury, he’s become less effective.  

I am not saying he’s isn’t worth keeping given the contractual situation and the fact we know he’s knackered, but I don’t believe he’s capable of what he once was, even coming off the bench 
    I know it won't happen but ideally I'd only keep Aneke on a pay as you play contract. Good to have around but them injuries are too much! 
    How exactly would you persuade Chuks to ditch his current contract for a pay as you play one ?
    Can anyone name the last player we signed on a pay as you play contract?
    Bally Smart?
    that is a ludicrous bit of knowledge, fair play.
    He's a clown.
    Very harsh on  @ForeverAddickted , I quite like his match previews 😉
    Quite a valid assessment I thought :D

Never accept a lift from FA, as his car falls to pieces every time

• Phillips would be an interesting one but I reckon he'll still get a championship club easily , despite spending last season on loan in Belgium. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Richard J said:

I see AMB as the number one and think it would be likely Wollacott moves on. I would be surprised if the Orient keeper moves as he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place with us and it would involve a transfer fee or could it be a swap with Jo Jo moving to Brisbane Road?

I might be being harsh on AMB but if we did bring in another keeper then honestly I'd see that as a positive sign. AMB for me is in that category of "good enough" - he'll certainly do a job and we don't NEED a new keeper but there's probably better out there and if the Consortium are willing to spend to upgrade from "decent" to "great" then it's a good sign of intent.

I don't know that Vigoroux IS that much better but I am actually quite encouraged by the idea of looking at a new keeper in principle.

Maynard-Brewer did do a job but I wouldn't say he is a top keeper in L1 so we absolutely should be looking to get someone better if we're serious about pushing for promotion.

His save percentage of 67% was on the lower side for L1 keepers and overall he didn't really prevent more goals than he should have.
  • Just seen that the Gills launched their new kit today.
  • RedChaser said:
    Croydon said:
    Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    The old Aneke question.  Of course, we have to keep him, unless the owners are flush with cash and are happy to pay him up, but I highly doubt that.  

The issue I have with it is that people still have the opinion that he’s this beast who terrorizes defences based on the 20/21 season.  He was affective coming off the bench, but with each year that has past, and each additional injury, he’s become less effective.  

I am not saying he’s isn’t worth keeping given the contractual situation and the fact we know he’s knackered, but I don’t believe he’s capable of what he once was, even coming off the bench 
    I know it won't happen but ideally I'd only keep Aneke on a pay as you play contract. Good to have around but them injuries are too much! 
    How exactly would you persuade Chuks to ditch his current contract for a pay as you play one ?
    Can anyone name the last player we signed on a pay as you play contract?
    Bally Smart?
    that is a ludicrous bit of knowledge, fair play.
    He's a clown.
    Very harsh on  @ForeverAddickted , I quite like his match previews 😉
    Quite a valid assessment I thought :D

Never accept a lift from FA, as his car falls to pieces every time

Bloody feels like it, the amount of rattling I hear from it. 

Need to get it booked into the Garage 
  • Richard J said:
    Just seen that the Gills launched their new kit today.
    Was Alfie May wearing it?  ;)
  • 5 years ago we battled it out with Sunderland for players (Lyle Taylor, Anthony Stokes etc)

In recent years it’s been Ipswich.

Now it’s bloody Gillingham we worry about beating us to players & kit launches!

Soul destroying stuff!
  • Sponsored links:

• If we are after a keeper I’d go for Phillips, I’m not convinced he’d have too many, if any options in the Championship.

Where bringing in a new keeper leaves Wollacott or AMB though I’m not sure as neither will want to sit on the bench. 
    If I’m honest I’d prefer Wollacott to AMB. That said, if we are looking at the Orient GK then I’d guess we’d be able to get a fee for Jojo. I don’t think AMB has enough of a track record or shown anything above the expected to command a fee. 
  • edited June 2023
    If we are after a keeper I’d go for Phillips, I’m not convinced he’d have too many, if any options in the Championship.

Where bringing in a new keeper leaves Wollacott or AMB though I’m not sure as neither will want to sit on the bench. 
    Could see someone like Rotherham taking him. It seems all clubs at that level want two decent keepers or maybe Harris will take him to Gillingham.
  • edited June 2023
    Alex Macdonald a non  scoring regular playing midfielder has turned down a new contract with Gills and signed for Stevenage. I really don’t see Gills being any sort of competition for players. If their  new chairman had that much ambition he wouldn’t have kept Neil Harris  either.
  • Richard J said:

Genuine question : Wouldn't a PL loanee only be assigned to a lower league cub if they were going to play? 
  • Richard J said:

Genuine question : Wouldn't a PL loanee only be assigned to a lower league cub if they were going to play? 
    Maybe.

An example would be Emilo Martinez when he was at Arsenal. He had a few loan spells at places like Wolves and Wednesday where he was their Cup goalie. 

Indeed he played against us at Hillsborough when we beat them in the FA Cup under Chris Powell.
  • Has anyone asked chatGPT who we should sign yet?

• 5 years ago we battled it out with Sunderland for players (Lyle Taylor, Anthony Stokes etc)

Soul destroying stuff!
    Worried? Some might say it is all rumour mongered nonsense - but I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Major said:
    5 years ago we battled it out with Sunderland for players (Lyle Taylor, Anthony Stokes etc)

Soul destroying stuff!
    Worried? Some might say it is all rumour mongered nonsense - but I couldn't possibly comment.
    regarding who you are "battling for players" you could say similar about us selling O'Connell in January - who would have thought a player would be prepared to drop down two leagues (into non league no less) is that ambition?

Money (and "fame") will always be king in football. 
  • Looks like secondary school Gillingham Twitter have convinced themselves May is signing and nothing more.  I’ll be stunned if it’s true.
    I will be more stunned if some of the players mentioned above sign for us. Nothing has changed, we are still a badly run club and not attractive. Just because a takeover has been announced changes nothing.

If I was, Stockton, May, Dack, JCH etc I would not go anywhere near The Valley