Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• edited June 2023
    ross1 said:
    mart77 said:
    I hear a lot about Gills ambitious new owner .
    Have they actually paid any fees for players ?
    January window they  had loads of players in and out but can’t remember seeing any fees being paid for players amongst the loan signings they did get in . I maybe wrong but think signings like May will be well out of their league for a number of reasons.

Dieng, Nichols and Hawkins all cost decent money for League 2. That said I don’t think May will end up there. 
    How much for any of these?  All I could find after checking a bit more in depth was loans and undisclosed ( which could mean anything ) I didn’t see an actual figure mentioned on any. The other one mentioned  Lapslie ( also shows as undisclosed ) surely wouldn’t have cost more than 25K max ? ( think he’s been released already ? ) . If I see a six figure sum has been paid on any  then I might take their big ambitions a bit more serious.
    Lapslie on Gills players list for next season 
    It was actually Ben Reeves another forgettable ex Charlton player who has been released by them ( peas from
    the same pod )  but if the  signing of Lapsile is the height of their ambitions good luck to them.
  • mart77 said:
    January window they  had loads of players in and out but can’t remember seeing any fees being paid for players amongst the loan signings they did get in . I maybe wrong but think signings like May will be well out of their league for a number of reasons.

Dieng, Nichols and Hawkins all cost decent money for League 2. That said I don’t think May will end up there. 
    How much for any of these?  All I could find after checking a bit more in depth was loans and undisclosed ( which could mean anything ) I didn’t see an actual figure mentioned on any. The other one mentioned  Lapslie ( also shows as undisclosed ) surely wouldn’t have cost more than 25K max ? ( think he’s been released already ? ) . If I see a six figure sum has been paid on any  then I might take their big ambitions a bit more serious.
    Where you pulling 25k from? I’d be very surprised if Dieng wasn’t low 6 figures. Lapslie probably less because he only had 6 months of his contract left. 
  • cfgs said:
    cabbles said:
    Off_it said:
    AndyG said:
    On the plus side Chucks can only be 6 months off getting back to training on the grass
    Which means he's only 6 and a half months away from his next injury.
    Fixtures come out Thursday - we can have a sweepstake and guess which game he’ll make his obligatory subs return, and then which game he’ll break down in again 
    Might even be the same one.
    Maybe a sweepstake on how many minutes on the pitch then?
  • Let’s face it. Chuks after his enforced break plus the summer plus a full pre season should be fit for the opening game. If he can’t be fit for that then I’m doubtful he’ll ever be fit.
  • mart77 said:

Where you pulling 25k from? I’d be very surprised if Dieng wasn’t low 6 figures. Lapslie probably less because he only had 6 months of his contract left. 
    25k was my guess because he is  an average league 2  player. He played enough games for Charlton to establish his quality. I can’t believe any club would pay near 6 figures for him 6 months left in  his contract or not.
  • edited June 2023
    Been away for 7 days.

No actual signings but 586 rumours, sounds about right for CL.

Are the rumours from those ITK or the multitude who claim to be ITK?

Unsurprisingly still talking about Aneke.
  • It will be interesting to see the thread pages to player signings ratio stats for this summer.

Currently 83 pages to zero signings indicating another comfortable three figure ratio for 2023. 
  • Gillingham are a big L2 club. But hardly in the same financial league as the top 6 L1 sides.
    I know it’s not relevant to your point but Gillingham are hardly a big league two club.  Bradford, Doncaster, Carlisle, Mansfield are examples big league two clubs, all of whom are clearly bigger clubs that them.  
  • Gillingham are a big L2 club. But hardly in the same financial league as the top 6 L1 sides.
    I know it’s not relevant to your point but Gillingham are hardly a big league two club.  Bradford, Doncaster, Carlisle, Mansfield are examples big league two clubs, all of whom are clearly bigger clubs that them.  
    Wrexham, Stockport and Notts County all much bigger than Gillingham as well. League 2 is their natural level
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    Gillingham are a big L2 club. But hardly in the same financial league as the top 6 L1 sides.
    Wrexham, Stockport and Notts County all much bigger than Gillingham as well. League 2 is their natural level
    Yeah could probably sling Tranmere in there and definitely Swindon.
  • Yeah Swindon will wind them up As well.
  • edited June 2023
    Redrobo said:
    If Gillingham have any spare cash they should spend it getting rid of the ‘temporary stand” before it becomes listed.
    What a great idea. Anyone up for starting a social media campaign to get the stand listed

edit. I reckon there is more chance (and more fun to be had) in getting palaces timber stand listed. Anyone with me?
  • Coldest I’ve ever been at a football match was sitting in that metal ice box of a stand.

But probably much more financial clout than 14 or 15 teams in league 1.  If May really wants to leave Cheltenham, I suspect Gillingham are in the top 5 realistic destinations.
  • edited June 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Personally I can't see any major signings until the takeover has happened.. Might be a budget agreed between the buyer and sellers in the takeover, but what is to say Thomas is going to stick to it.. As we know, he seems to like to bend the rules, or tell porkies!
    This hopefully will not be a massive problem for players like May who are still under contract….as he will still be getting paid by Cheltenham this summer so it isn’t the end of the world if he doesn’t join us till Aug.

Players it could impact more are out of contract players who will not be paid after the end of June unless they find a new club. If we don’t agree to pay agent fees, signing on fees & good wages for out of contract players we will seem them go elsewhere rather than wait until we can e.g. Anthony Scully.
  • If the takeover takes too long, can't see us getting the May deal over the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    Personally I can't see any major signings until the takeover has happened.. Might be a budget agreed between the buyer and sellers in the takeover, but what is to say Thomas is going to stick to it.. As we know, he seems to like to bend the rules, or tell porkies!
    This hopefully will not be a massive problem for players like May who are still under contract….as he will still be getting paid by Cheltenham this summer so it isn’t the end of the world if he doesn’t join us till Aug.

Players it could impact more are out of contract players who will not be paid after the end of June unless they find a new club. If we don’t agree to pay agent fees, signing on fees & good wages for out of contract players we will seem them go elsewhere rather than wait until we can e.g. Anthony Scully.
    don't think it will matter on out of contract players, unless they will be high earners! Time will tell I suppose.
  • Redhenry said:
    If the takeover takes too long, can't see us getting the May deal over the line.
    Agreed, he might want to join but with no guarantees I think he’ll go elsewhere. 
  • Redhenry said:
    If the takeover takes too long, can't see us getting the May deal over the line.
    I’m thinking if there’s no mention of May going anywhere in the next few weeks that’s a good thing.  Could mean we’ve agreed to sign him in all but writing and it’ll be confirmed when the OADT is completed.  Maybe I’m being overly optimistic but maybe there’s some logic to it.  
  • Redhenry said:
    Agreed, he might want to join but with no guarantees I think he’ll go elsewhere. 
    Has he actually said the words “I want to join Charlton “ and it’s been quoted somewhere?
  • Redhenry said:
    Has he actually said the words “I want to join Charlton “ and it’s been quoted somewhere?
    I don’t believe so and I never said he did. But it’s been widely reported he’d like to move back to Kent so we’re an obvious choice on that basis. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Scully wasn’t out of contract so was the same as May, albeit I’d imagine it was only a small fee 
  • Is there life after bloody Alfie May...🥱
  • Shrew said:
    Despite what has been said I do not expect us to pay for any new players until the takeover is completed. 
    The longer this takes the more concerned we should be.
    Why ???

Do you not believe Storrie ??

Or do you think TS wont spend any money, even though it appears there is an agreement in the SPA that any spending (within limits) has been ok'd. 
    I feel the whole, spending budget in place whatever the outcome storyline ,is a bit of a white lie which both sides of the takeover are happy to go along with. The reality is that an agreement between the parties wouldn’t be lawful in the eyes of the EFL. After all CM has been quoted in saying that just  purchase of out of contract players will happen until the takeover happens.

Agree with the first part of your thinking.

Infact I asked the fans forum to explain the rules re the EFL and take over.
    As yet I haven’t seen a reply to my question,although I know Tom Rubashaw received the e-mail. Not the only question we have received no reply to.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Gillingham are a big L2 club. But hardly in the same financial league as the top 6 L1 sides.

But probably much more financial clout than 14 or 15 teams in league 1.  If May really wants to leave Cheltenham, I suspect Gillingham are in the top 5 realistic destinations.
    Coldest I’ve ever been at a football match was sitting in that metal ice box of a stand.
    You obviously weren't at the Barnsley game when it was boiling round here and we all rocked up at Barnsley in t-shirts and shorts during a snow blizzard! 😂⚽
  • There will be such a meltdown on here if Alfie May signs for Gills instead and rightfully so.

It's hard to believe there's a player who is available, who has been quite prolific for the past 3 seasons, who would definitely play for us and we can't get a bid together for him. 

If we can't afford 200-300k for Alfie May (the rumoured fee), just end the season now with another mediocre mid table finish. 

For those saying be patient, you're kidding yourselves, it has been like this ever since the Ricky Holmes/Nicky Ajose transfer window, feeding off scraps and frees season after season

So people are concerned over a player from Cheltenham Town .

Get over it.

The Main concern is staying within the rules of the EFL and FA.

If we break the rules points could be deducted from season 23/24 at best.

Just get this take over signed and sealed then worry about players although I think that will be the least of our worries.